• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assistance - Vs. Aggressive Fox

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
So this could be in the wrong place, but considering the match up thread is currently on Iceys, I figured I'd make a new thread. If that was wrong, my apologies.

So after going through many matches and a huge rotation of characters, I've finally decided Falco will be my permanent main (yes, I need a siggy change.)

And my newest roommate who had plenty of Melee experience and 64 experience is giving me trouble. He doesn't know the technical game really, but his aggressive fox gives me quite a bit of trouble. Smash spamming, especially the forward and down smash. I try and stay reactive rather than defensive against him, and most of the time it works. We went 2 -1 in my favor today, the first match he was three stocked and the last two were darn close. Wish I had videos to show more of what I'm asking help for, but I don't have a camera just yet.

I try and use SHDL to keep him away from me, and my recovery tactics always confuse him since he never edgeguards, just shields whenever I recover. Any suggestions? If more info is needed in order to help, I'll try as best as I can.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Chain grab him. Just learn grab follow-ups, and try to get him into the air so you can laser him. Do your best to learn his KO (mainly upsmash) set-ups, then bait and punish them. If he is recovering, just throw out a back air when he gets stage height to deter him from recovering onto the stage. Space shines and f-tilts when he is on the edge.

J0RDY

Smash Journeyman
What are you asking for, because it sounds like you have him under control. Being reactive when he sounds that aggressive is the right thing to do, just wait for a moment to punish his multiple smashes, and try to follow up. Sooner or later he'll realise that he's got to have more strategy to beat you.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
Well, we had a few matches last night. The first of which ended quite well for me considering he got four stocked. Earlier I had been working on my SHDL and they've gotten a lot better. I played reactively and catered to the things he did. He got frustrated about two stocks down and it went downhill from there for him. His aggressiveness threw me off since I'm an Ex-Marth main and I played very aggressively (stupidily so, in fact).

Thanks for the advice, and as we speak I'm practicing throw follow ups. Like this new spike I've been hearing about, the downthrow to Dair or even Nair if you wanted to mix it up. I'm still trying to get used to not throwing out forward air.

This is a different concern, but in my matches, my uair never seems to sweetspot for a kill. Where exactly is that sweetspot for Falco's upair?

J0RDY

Smash Journeyman
Well, we had a few matches last night. The first of which ended quite well for me considering he got four stocked. Earlier I had been working on my SHDL and they've gotten a lot better. I played reactively and catered to the things he did. He got frustrated about two stocks down and it went downhill from there for him. His aggressiveness threw me off since I'm an Ex-Marth main and I played very aggressively (stupidily so, in fact).

Thanks for the advice, and as we speak I'm practicing throw follow ups. Like this new spike I've been hearing about, the downthrow to Dair or even Nair if you wanted to mix it up. I'm still trying to get used to not throwing out forward air.

This is a different concern, but in my matches, my uair never seems to sweetspot for a kill. Where exactly is that sweetspot for Falco's upair?
Practice Falco's spike after a chain grab, it is essential for 0-death lol.

And for the u air problem, your probably normally hitting when your bodies are overlapping, you'll sourspot it and he'll only get hit half the way. The sweetspot is the highest part of the hitbox (His foot) and you should kill high in the screen at 100%. I never get the sweetspot when I want it either so d/w.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
Well that is good to know. I played ten stocks against a friend of mine who mains Sonic and I got the Dair from Chaingrab off a few times, but of course with Sonic's recovery if I didn't spike him on the return it didn't really matter either way. =P

But I think I'm ahead of my roommate now, he's having trouble with my laser game sort of. Thanks all for the advice.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
Practice Falco's spike after a chain grab, it is essential for 0-death lol.

And for the u air problem, your probably normally hitting when your bodies are overlapping, you'll sourspot it and he'll only get hit half the way. The sweetspot is the highest part of the hitbox (His foot) and you should kill high in the screen at 100%. I never get the sweetspot when I want it either so d/w.
well umm..if u hit the sourspot or whatever and u dont hit him right...go for a spike because the sourspot usually puts them in the position to be spikes...works for me atleast :)

Top Bottom