• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atomic Comics Melee Tournaments - Phoenix

South_Paw

Smash Ace
Update time!
Due to people having travel johns, only the last saturday of the month will be a tournament, which we're hoping to make as big as possible by encouraging out of towners and as many in the phoenix area to come. every other saturday will be basically a smashfest, and the store is ok with this. I will bring my setup at five and wait till about 5:30-6, if nobody shows then I will leave. I live near the AC so if you want to smash basically anytime after 6 during the week, or the weekend, hit me up.

602 486 2761 is my cell, text me before calling, i answer all texts but no calls unless i have your number

a lot of people complain that there isn't enough of a scene, but few people have been coming to these, so i say no johns, if you want to smash, everybody's still here (almost). there are a lot of people willing to play if you just ask. trade locations, cell #'s, whatever, some of you probably live closer than you might think.

Melee: Atomic Comics Series

Click for location!

Beginning October 4th.
Sign-ups and warm-ups start at 4:30, along with setup.
Brackets will run ASAP
Seeding will be done by who you know, not by skill
Singles only for now.

$5 Entry Fee
Pot split will most likely be standard 60/30/10 (most likely for store credit)

General Rules:
  • Double Elimination
  • 4 Stock
  • 7 Minute Time Limit (Ties broken by lives/percentage)
  • Items Off
  • B.Y.O.C.
  • Wobbling is BANNED
  • Advanced slob picks is in effect
  • As is DSR (Dave's Stupid Rule)

No controller mods that aren't purely cosmetic
No stalling
No crazy glitches (IC's Freeze, Mewtwo's SS, ETC.)

Stages: (Random Select)

• Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Stages: (Counterpicks)

• Dream Land: Green Greens
  • DK Island: Jungle Japes
  • F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
  • Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
  • Lylat System: Corneria
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle
  • Mushroom Kingdom II
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Eagleland: Onett *
  • Termina: Great Bay *
*Note: Possible future stages. Will NOT be in the upcoming tournament. I was looking at the stage selection and remembered that these two were in MLG counterpicks for part of the '06 Pro Circuit.

I would like to stress that this is an attempt to get new people into our community. So it is of the utmost importance that good sportsmanship is used. I'm not going to ask you to sandbag or not try, but if/when you win, be a good sport about it.

One of the reasons people drop out early or don't get into it is because they never make it past that first tournament experience when someone tears them apart with one hand on their controller and using bowser (and I believe that pretty much anybody that will be reading this thread is capable of just that if they wanted to). Yes, if these people REALLY wanted to get really good, they'd weather it and come back for more, as many of us did. This kind of elitism, I believe, is something that is holding us back. I only got to where I am due to Demised's efforts to help me, and even though he ***** me as hard as ever, he at least kept me going. I'm not that great, but at least I've been in the top 10 (and even #1 spot for a while) in two states' Power Rankings.

Also, that is the reason for the odd counterpick stages we don't normally see. This is more designed to be fun with structure than a full-scale MLG rule-set that I have the tendency to run.

I will also not be competing in these. Winning your own tournament tends to make less people want to come.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I love you, Coty.

First reply.

This is my 777th post. I wonder what ever happened to yours? :p

When's the first one going to be?

p.s.

KosukeKGA quit a long time ago when "a black guy ***** [him] with Mewtwo"

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I will certainly be there.

I also look forward to the changeup in rules a bit. Kongo Jungle in random is a good choice, imo. Ditto with the counterpick stages.

Hopefully we can bring in some new players!

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
You are a benevolent being, sir.

Also, Timmy's generosity transcends what us humans can comprehend.

I will also be there. If I don't enter, I will at least teach ****. And old school brawl mindgames adapted for melee play.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
lol, i hate the term 'old school brawl mindgames'

how often they are will be decided based on attendance to the first one, how well i ran it (obviously if i cant run it well no one will return), and probably popular vote.... im honestly thinking bi-weekly is most likely right now.

and g-mo reminded me. i doubt anybody here payed much attention to it, but i had a 'training day' in oklahoma a year and a half-ish ago, and while our tournaments averaged thirty to forty ish, including those from texas and kansas, the training day brought the same number, all from oklahoma (though i think there was a random guy from arkansas)... if i can save up some money, I'll hold one for AZ, if anybody doubts the fun awesomeness of that day, pop into the OK thread and ask.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I guess I'll go and support the Melee comm...

BANNED?!?!?!?!

Well, doesn't say anything about freeze glitches.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
i banned wobbling because (as i hope you have guessed) this is not a high caliber tournament... yet.

if you wobbled (not to mention freeze glitched) someone... they may think 'uhz, game broken, k thx bai'

stupid glitches and stalling will be added... /sigh

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
What?! Chucky on the boards?!

Must be Manny on his computer... :)

Btw: IMO, if there's <12 people we should make it a Round Robin. But there does appear to be decent support so far.

In fact, we might consider pools even for a medium turnout (~30). Pools let newer players play at least 5 or so matches even if they lose, and are guaranteed to play at least one "good" player who leads their pool. So it's a win-win.... if time allows it.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Mushroom Kingdom stages?

Time to lolshine everyone.

yayuhzz

All counterpicks are fine though. <_< ...And Rainbow Cruise?

Why are all the Mario stages so gay? God dammit. Him and his trippy mushrooms and flowers = trippy stages

Ah well. I have no objections...But then it's in Paradise Valley?! Nooooooo, now it's too far away. I think you guys know what this means, OH LOL, indeed.

:(

Hint: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Wow! Wow all the hate, Coty? In fact if you're so bold as to insinuate that I'm a poor sport at least get facts straight. I never played through a tournament with a one handed bowser. I have about 4 years ago played in a tournament where someone disrespected me and I thoroughly asserted my dominance by playing him with my Marth one handed. I have played as Bowser in tournament... whoo, I'm a bad sport because I'm not playing Marth, Fox, or MEWTWO?

I guess it's coo if you want to call me a bad sport or something even though I don't recall REALLY rubbing my win in someone's face, especially since it is simply what I very often.

If I left anyone butt hurt after losing to me, then QQ more. Wow, wtf did I do? I haven't been to a tournament in months and now I'm the reason people never wanted to come back and play Melee anymore. Never mind all the people you probably played and never came back. Never mind all the people that ***** at Game Crazy tournaments. Nope, it's gotta be Tony doin the one handed Bowser trash talkin n00b ****** thing he ALWAYS does at scrub tournaments that I'm not allowed to go to, because it's not FAIR THAT A HIGH CALIBUR PLAYER SHOW UP TO A **** COMPETITION LOCALLY.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
If it will make you feel better Tony, I don't really care about what happened a few years ago.

Back then, I was a fool.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh, please, Tony. Your ability to make people quit smash is legendary.

Besides, since when are you not allowed to come? You should totally come, nobody's seen you in months.

Goop

Smash Journeyman

Btw: IMO, if there's <12 people we should make it a Round Robin. But there does appear to be decent support so far.

In fact, we might consider pools even for a medium turnout (~30). Pools let newer players play at least 5 or so matches even if they lose, and are guaranteed to play at least one "good" player who leads their pool. So it's a win-win.... if time allows it.
That wasn't me DANNNNN!

I will go, I suppose. I guess I can bring a setup too. I am sure the rest of the house, work allowing would like to go as well, tho I can't speak for them for sure.

Tony "no people hate me" johns you should come. Unless you're scared of my awesome skills, then it would reasonable and prudent for you not to come.

CANT RUN FOREVER TAJ!!

Oh and for the record I wasn't being disrespectful when you played me one handed you JERK! :mad:

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Yeah you kinda were, but it was understandable, you were mad that I didn't like the rules at your tournament.

That wasn't the point of my post. Give me a few examples of my "legendary ability to make people quit Smash."

Yeah sometimes I've thought about seeing if I could make people quite Smash, but really the only person in particular that quit because of me that I can remember was Sam.

I'm not coming to this ****. I have to work anyway.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero

Plus, the lack of teams gives us a lot more time to work with. Doing a round robin is a really good idea.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
The one handed bowser was an example, no, I've never actually seen you do it. I've seen your one-handed marth many times though. I was more geared towards the fact that you were capable of it (and still are im sure), as were others. I can think of several people who have quit and can say that it was because you ***** them so hardcore. I'm not trying to place blame, I'm just saying that people who aren't into it like we are/were are going to be blown away by how easily they were destroyed, and never want to play with you/us again.

Yes, I'm sure that some people that I've beaten haven't come back (Though I doubt at game crazy, I wasnt in the position to be beating anybody at that time), but it was purely because I beat them, not because of the humiliation they suffered because of it. Up until recently, I've always used only my at the time mains, and gone all out, against every opponent. And anybody that I play is clearly a noob I try to talk to them aftwerwards and try to help them out.

I'm not saying you should be required to have that mindset, or that you ****** them and laughing afterwards if you want is wrong. My point is that, in order to attract more people that may want to play at least semi-seriously, we have to reach out. When we all show up to a tourney, it's obvious that we all know each other. I remember being pretty excited when I showed up to a tourney in Mesa in the early days, and Sean and Trent recognized and greeted me. Even though he didn't know me, Sean gave me some pointers after he ***** me in our tournament match. People are intimidated by a group of highly skilled players, and unless we reach out, only the most ambitious of them will return for more.

I didn't intend to appear to question your sportsmanship. And I'm not going to argue about it further. I will be changing that part of the first post, I just wanted it to be in there at first so I could convey how much we need to try to expand.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I guess it's a matter of opinion but I don't see that being a reason for Tony making people go away and such.. Either way Tony you should go if you can. SV sure supports Taj, wobbles, Forward, Light, Trevyn. etc and many of the great players we have. About 2 years ago. Axe and I attended our first major tournamant (Anyone remember T5) Axe and I both got our ***** handed to us by Taj, Forward, and although it indeed did suck realizing we still needed to improve it was kind of our influence to WANT and DRIVE us to improve.. Maybe Tony's way of making people want to improve is just more harsh than others, and whatever the case is.. I don't see anything majorly wrong with it. His view may be different. (If you don't realize what I mean.. (SV has one of the biggest improvements EVER) Look at Axe.. 2 years ago I'm actually proud to say I was better than him.. Now.... Man.. He can hang with the best of the best of them. He alone is living proof that Getting his *** beat was a wake up call

As for him possibly not helping people, I am one personally that has had his help. Sure he hasn't told me to do this, that, or even personally train me or anything but i've watched him play enough against people to learn what's best. Why can't other people learn by watching. I've become experienced and he's even helped me out with certain things.

I just believe i guess both sides have a point of view but it depends on who's view you look at I suppose.

I don't intend on starting anything bad. I just don't feel that he's wrong or anything. You're also correct too Southpaw I just don't think there's anything wrong with the general argument I guess.. but bleh what do I know.

Taj's posting!?

Axe is gay

Sell Brawl!

I'm Hungry.............................

Enix_Moogle

Smash Apprentice
This is actually Chuckie, just so y'all know. Tai told me to go to this thread and I said WTF, why not?

I think Coty's right, and I think Taj has a lot of built up rage towards noobs not wanting him to go to their tournaments (which is fair) and they had a right to you know un-invite him because you know, they want to "have fun"(which is also fair). Anyway Vector man can join the "right" bandwagon too, Taj can be a harsh teacher that works, but Coty isn't saying that that behavior is entirely unacceptable, simply that maybe we should be more respectful towards the newer people so they actually want to come back. I'd certainly like to see some new faces while I'm thinking about playing the game again.

I'm surprised to see such a reaction, he was certainly more tactful and polite on the subject then I could have been. I think to blame Taj on people qutting is un fair, I recall a number of non-Taj Tucson tournaments where people showed up, got destroyed, and never came back and Forward is an incredibly good sport, especially at the time, although I imagine he still is.

Yeah the turn out looks like it could be promising. I will go assuming my new job doesn't schedule me. I don't think anyone has issues about not being *****. ~ Hopefully

shiva39

Smash Journeyman
lol drama in AZ?

I think, or maybe I hope, that both parties just have a misunderstanding.

Anyway, I'm in for the weekend! And have actually been playing some smash. As much as you all enjoyed the random fairs from Fox.

Atomic Comics...argh

South_Paw

Smash Ace
To address a couple of questions and a sort of update:

No, brawl will not be added. The mesa store will continue their brawl tournaments on saturday, i considered (and may again in the future) moving these to sunday so that if people want to go to both, they may.

Hopefully teams will be added before too long, right now with my new job, that is less likely unless somebody takes over for me in the future (or just runs them before i get there).

I have just recieved word that this first week their may not be a charge to enter (which, yes, unfortunately means no cash prize), and they just want to gauge attendance to anticipate for future tournaments (which i can assure you will only get bigger, flyers are being printed as we speak and im going to drive around next week putting them up in random game stores, which im told are very tolerant of flyers even though they're advertising for competing stores, so we'll see). I'll try to keep it at $5, unless enough people object and want to have the fee anyways. And I really don't want to ask anybody to waste gas money (I know how far some of you will be coming for this, and travel has always been a pain for everybody) to what will be a unprofitable, but undeniably fun, event.

I also want to say I'm surprised that I haven't seen greg post in here yet O.o he's usually on top of these things.

less than eight attending ( that would suck, so i hope not ) will definitely be a round robin, after that we'll see. It really depends on how many random people will show up, which I don't expect to be a huge number right off the bat.

One last thing... we need setups! As of right now, we have one... which is mine, lol. I don't know if they will be willing to wave entry fee for those who bring setups (im letting them handle all the money stuff, since its their business and they're providing the venue), but either way, we need them. It would be unfortunately sluggish to run a tourney on one setup =/

Goop

Smash Journeyman
I just wanna say that I love Charles Anthony Jackson. Just to make that incredibly clear if it wasn't made clear in the past <3

And I still love you even if you don't come. <3 again.

AXE 09

Smash Master
crap. this would be on the day that my school is having homecoming dance. darn it....

now i have to make the hardest decision ever: dance with hot chicks or smash? hmmmmm....................

someone help me out here please lol

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
The tourney is quite far for you. But then again, Smash tourneys do not come around often! But then again, neither do school dances! Achtung!

Choices, choices ja, Herr Axe?

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Go to your school dance, Jeff. Unless you are not a senior, then you'll have another homecoming next year.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
Update yet again.

These tournaments will be weeklies (first post will be changed soon to reflect this)

whether or not there is a entry fee will be vote upon for this first week (there will be one for all others, this first one was the only one in question)

And Dan, if you see this, call me ASAP, I need a favor =/

EDIT: anytime, g mo!!!

AXE 09

Smash Master
screw the dance. it's all about MELEE!!!!!!

lol jk. well, since these will be weeklies, i'll probably go to the next one. depends on my schedule at work. i'll figure something out.

PLEASE EVERYONE please come the day that SV comes, cuz i don't wanna travel all the way to phoenix just to smash with like 5 people lol. melee is amazing, everyone should realize this by now.

lol kosuke, you're freakin amazing.

oh and yes gmo, i am a senior, but i don't even have a date or anything. i should totally just bring my cube to t he dance and start playing smash lol.

is the post above me from Duffo?

Top Bottom