• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ATs, ROB and You

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
This is for discussion of new ATs that look like they can/ or are being implemented well into ROB's play. Heres a few points of discussion
I'm curious to know what ATs good ROB players are using? Obviously glide tossing is being used.
Is wave bouncing an important tech for ROB users to know?

What new techs look like they be important for ROB play?
etc

Discuss...

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
wavebouncing can be useful for throwing your opponent off and for better placing.
just for its properties that allow you to turn around and continue the opposite direction because it helps set up for nice bair edgeguards and such. Like the gyrodash and the Robo burner tricks, i believe those are all using some properties of the wavebounce?

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
I'm not willing to list EVERY AT that ROB has to offer.. that would literally take me 2 hours...

ROB is one [if not the most] of the very technical toons in Brawl.. his hover is so ridiculously note worthy that my brain hurts form thinking of all the amazing applications...

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Auto Cancel'd [FF] Bair, Nair, Uair-->Utilt,

SHx2FFfairs

RAR Gyro

RAR Hover

RAR lazer [RAR'd gyro>lazer]

Approaching Hover'd Nairs

Hover Cancel'd Nairs

Dtilt JabLock

Jab-->Smash

Jab-->Grab

GyroAirDrop-->repickup

GyroDashing..

more gyro trixies.. more lazer trixies..

Momentum Shifting your Gyros..

ect... >_>

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yes gyrodashing, it's catching on, I win toasty :p

Wavebouncing is great, but I certainly wouldn't use B-sticking for it, it's easy enough to do without resorting to B-sticking, and C-stick aerials are absolutely necessary for ROB, much moreso than any other character I can think of. You need to be able to have full control of your up-B while using the specific aerial you want, and you can only realistically do that with C-stick aerials.

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
dang a lot more that i expected. Thanks Chozen. Some of these techs aren't to hard. But i'd apreciate it if people would elaborate on some of the techs Choz listed.
I'll start the elaboration
SHx2FFfairs=
thats just short hops double fairs correct?

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
yeah ive seen it. Its not a true combo though like u said as ur opponent can get out of it if they r experienced.

is the approaching hover'd nair the rising nair?

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
I think he's talking about glide tossing (edit: he's not, gyro-dashing is different. See Sudai's next post.), just specifically for the gyro. Glide-tossing's when you roll while holding a gyro (though it works for any item) and then throw the gyro - while moving. It allows ROB to cover ground, throw the gyro, and go directly into anything you want (you count as standing, so you can immediately forward smash, d-smash, whatever). You do it by rolling and almost instantly throwing it - the timing is a little tricky, though not that bad. When you do it your character will move forward (not dash/walk forward, it's almost like rolling) while throwing the gyro. If your character rolls then throws, you're not doing it correctly, and probably have to throw the gyro earlier (that was always my mistake).

Note, if you use the c-stick to throw, you can throw in more ways than just in the direction that you're rolling.

Here's the guide for AT's (all characters): http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164597

Sudai

Stuff here
Wrong, Frd. Gyro-dashing is what we call the aerial reverse gyro + gyro cancel.

Jump > Gyro Backwards > Shield within the first few frames

It makes it so you can turn around in the air with (virtually) no lag as the gyro cancel makes it so you won't airdodge if you do it right.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Ahh, cool beans. Well, glide-tossing is immensely useful, too. :chuckle:

Yeah, I'd been wondering how they did that....

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I love the little tricks ROB has. Obviously glide-tossing is something everyone can do, but only a few characters actually come with throwable items.

Mainly I use it for approaching, retreating, and spacing, kind of like wave-dashing in melee (though not quite as kickass). Anything else you use it for?

O, and I loved the expression on my brother's face the first time I did it. He was so freaking confused....

Sudai

Stuff here
Not only do few characters come with items to glide toss, out of the ones that do, none have as ridiculous of a glide toss as ROB does. My normal teams partner plays Zelda...holy hell, Zelda's glide toss is great. We accidentally did something awesome one fight and now we do it every now and then. Basically, when one of us doesn't like the matchups we split into, one will say "switch", doesn't matter if the opponents can hear us. So, basically what we do when one says switch is that I toss out a gyro to the other side of the stage, the Zelda glide tosses to the person I'm fighting, I grab the gyro and glide-toss(throwing up not to hit my teammate) to the other person. Good way to make sure we keep the matchup advantage AND it catches opponents off guard.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
That's a clever way to change the matchups. I haven't had as much success with ROB in teams with team attack on, but we don't really do teams here. It's either ffa or singles, and whenever I do FFA I end up getting gang-*****.

For glide-tossing, I haven't noticed this, but I heard it: isn't the length of the glide a little variable, based on which frame you toss the dradle?

Sudai

Stuff here
Yeah. There's the normal glide toss and what I call the "half glide". I think the half glide is from throwing it too late. I can get the full glide about 95% of the time. Some days I'm just off though and can do nothing but half glides. It makes me sad.

yungunr2

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2852-8390-1766
Not only do few characters come with items to glide toss, out of the ones that do, none have as ridiculous of a glide toss as ROB does. My normal teams partner plays Zelda...holy hell, Zelda's glide toss is great. We accidentally did something awesome one fight and now we do it every now and then. Basically, when one of us doesn't like the matchups we split into, one will say "switch", doesn't matter if the opponents can hear us. So, basically what we do when one says switch is that I toss out a gyro to the other side of the stage, the Zelda glide tosses to the person I'm fighting, I grab the gyro and glide-toss(throwing up not to hit my teammate) to the other person. Good way to make sure we keep the matchup advantage AND it catches opponents off guard.
I'd be interested to see a video of this, seems like a very good tactic for teams.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Chosen : These aren't "Ats", are they ? SH Double Fair is more a tips...
WTF is an AT by the way ? I though it was things like DLX Cancel, Boost Smash, Reverse Boost Grabbing...

Popertop

Smash Champion
Auto Cancel'd [FF] Bair, Nair, Uair-->Utilt,

SHx2FFfairs

RAR Gyro

RAR Hover

RAR lazer [RAR'd gyro>lazer]

Approaching Hover'd Nairs

Hover Cancel'd Nairs

Dtilt JabLock

Jab-->Smash

Jab-->Grab

GyroAirDrop-->repickup

GyroDashing..

more gyro trixies.. more lazer trixies..

Momentum Shifting your Gyros..

ect... >_>
someone's a little full of themselves...
half of those aren't even AT's

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
LoL, I 'm just announcing that I have a new one. But I won't post about it until I start using it more in tournaments. Otherwise you just get a bunch of "oh yeah, I've been doing that for a while", yet you never see anyone do it in tournament, or do it right.

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
LoL, I 'm just announcing that I have a new one. But I won't post about it until I start using it more in tournaments. Otherwise you just get a bunch of "oh yeah, I've been doing that for a while", yet you never see anyone do it in tournament, or do it right.
Dude that **** works soooo well its **** since you told me about it at Nexus I been doing it to my cousins.
Haha unfortunately no one knows what we are talking about haha

null55

Smash Master
PM me what it is and I'll show you provocative pictures of myself.

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
Hmm what to choose from lol
Nah its sooo super advanced it indescribable lol
We are just gonna show it in a combo video.
When we get more vids of us doing it we will post it up, my friend said he is gonna do a combo video of ROB with both HugS and I =]

Top Bottom