• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attention Europe: Will You Come To The UK this Summer?Smash tourney of the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
It's very unlikely I'm going to the US for Genesis or whatever this summer, so going to this is definitely an option for me.:)

Utto

Commander Keen
BRoomer
****it Kone, I am in Japan that time!

So I might join with Guido next time then...
Hoi Jody.

Kone, your explanation about Europeans travelling to the US made me laugh. You hit the nail on its head. Also, I noticed there is a ferry service between IJmuiden (near Amsterdam) and Newcastle, so if the tournament is near Newcastle that might be an interesting option for the Dutchies. I have no idea about the costs though.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I'm interested.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Hoi Jody.

Kone, your explanation about Europeans travelling to the US made me laugh. You hit the nail on its head. Also, I noticed there is a ferry service between IJmuiden (near Amsterdam) and Newcastle, so if the tournament is near Newcastle that might be an interesting option for the Dutchies. I have no idea about the costs though.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I'm interested.
It actually costs quite a lot.

Kone

Smash Master
The ferry is about 66 euros return amsterdam ->newcastle sharing a four bedroom cabin. If you booked a group party of 10+ you could get it down to 22 euros one way. Newcastle is 30 minutes from sunderland.

Thats pretty much how much itll cost to fly into the UK from anywhere return atm. What people need to look out for is when ryanair release their cheap flights (no tax) which they normally do around march/april :)

ed

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
This thread is mainly to find out what interest there is for this tournament out there and to let people know that we are wanting to host the big smash tourney of the summer ^_^
This tournament has so much hype and banter already that it needs to be divided into 3 threads.

Ahhh I would finally see the mod who loves to punish me on smashboards loool.
But I could have sworn you'd met Aiko :ohwell::ohwell::dizzy::dizzy::ohwell::ohwell:

It'll be cheaper than going to Genesis Jumpman....much much cheaper....and much less crowded....and still just as awesome if not more awesome because of the ****ing amazing banter.

Tiersie

Smash Ace
If there's brawl (at least singles). Me and two other friends (Aqua and Flob) will most likely be interested. I just checked the ferry for July/August and it's really expensive.

The only way to make this be cheap is to go with a group of 5 + WIth 5 people in a 4 person hut it's a little under 100 euro's each. And 5 in a 4p hut is doable.

Anyway I've found a KLM flight to Newcastle for 204 Euro's. still **** expensive though. I think your best bet would be to go from Hoek van Holland to Harwich and from Harwich to London. Then use the coach or something.

Kone

Smash Master
Tiersie - Theres alot of ways to do this. Ive already posted that you could have 4 people in a four bed cabin and that it would cost 66 euros return. If you booked a group booking for more than ten people then the ferry line discounts the cost to 22 euros pp each way.

Ive taken the ferry before and i didnt even use the cabin room >_<'. Just dont take the over nighter.

Furthermore, we've stated that we will post potential travel routes when the date is confirmed. The ferry is always going to be highly unlikely with the amount of time it takes. No one would fly with KLM. Flying with any countries national airline is a joke price wise :/. You'd fly with ryanair from eindhoven/maastricht/brussels/dusseldorf into edinburgh/london/glasgow and then get a really cheap coach from there to sunderland (by cheap i mean like fro 2-10 euro return depending on how quick you book them). From edinburgh the coach is 2 hours, glasgow 3+ and london 6. Yes, this is quite abit of time BUT as mentioned housing will be offered either side of a week before and after the main tournament. This is to allow you the extra time it takes to get to sunderland and let you rest :).

There are also alot of other airlines you can look into that fly from dutch airports (incl.amsertam) into the UK for relatively cheap (not ryanair prices tho) such as bmibaby,flybe, easyjet and jet2.

One of the cheapest ways to make this but also abit of a pin would to be to fly into Dublin airport with ryanair then to get on a flight from dublin to newcastle with ryanair. Whenever ryanair releases there no tax flights dublin is one of the destinations, like london, that always gets these cheap flights. Flights from newcastle and dublin also get this benefit (so many irish in newcastle). As a result this is a really cheap option but annoying cos of the two flights ^_^

As soon as the date for this is confirmed (be 22nd feb weekend hopefully) im going to offer my services , as one of the co-hosts, as a JOURNEY PLANNER. Contact me by smashboards pm or msn and let me know that you want to come and where your travelling from. Ill then look into every travel arrangment possible for your journey. From the cheapest (yet longest) and most expensive (yet direct). This will also include every step of your travel (ie any other travel costs that u may come across), where to book it and advice on how to navigate public transport networks etc.

This is one feature of large european tournaments that always causes me anxiety;

E.G. ROS4. Booked to fly into stockholm. The airport was 3+hours from stockholm itself and the coach cost alot of money. Then I had to get a train that took 2 hours and was costly to some small seaside town. My flights in the first place were like £80. The extra travel that i didnt expect really added up.

Yes, the above scenario was alot of my own naiviety. However, my point is that Im not going to tell half truths to get you to come. Ill tell you EXACTLY how much your entire travel will cost you and how long it will take so that your AS prepared as possible :). Please don't be put off by having to get a 6 hour coach from london. Every tourney ive been to abroad as resulted in nearly as much if not more travelling in the host country ^_^.

Im glad to see your interest dude :)

ed

Tiersie

Smash Ace
Wow... I've just looked into the Ryanair site and if they really do have tax free flights you can fly with 3 people from Eindhoven to London for 80 euros there and back. That'd be the best option by far. Also is there something to do in Sunderland/Newcastle besides smashing? This IS in the summer holiday after all and some touristey stuff is never bad.

This tourney needs more hype ^^

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
If there's gonna be a Brawl single and team event I might come to this although - as strange as it sounds - I'll have troubles to travel during the holidays...still I try to get there. As long as Brawl is there I'm OK with anything.
It would really be cool if I could come ... especially if some dutchies will be there too ^^

:059:

Kone

Smash Master
Tiersie - Im sure this tournaement will create more hype in time. However, we haven't confirmed a date yet. Tournaments generally don't accquire hype till then. This will be confirmed asap then things will start getting more interesting =). Yes, you can fly eindhoven->london with no taxes. Currently, ryanair are only offering no tax flights on the route between feb->april. But, when that period is over just watch and they'll do similar for the summer months ;). Also im sure ryanair does eindhoven -> edinburgh which should be as cheap as flying into london but quicker for you guys as the bus is half the time from einburgh to newcastle.

I understand what your saying about it not being just smash. If you were to fly in earlier or what not to sight see im sure id accomodate you. Newcastle was voted european city of culture a few years back. Its a very pretty city with alot to see and if your old enough it has a very trendy nightlife. The tournament itself will be ran in a small town, seaham, just on the outskirts of sunderland. You can access newcastle via sunderland using the Metro system. Takes bout 30 mins between cities. Seaham is on the beach (not the prettiest beaches but still a beach ;)). Furthermore, you can access Northumberland from Newcastle if you want to see REALLY pretty countryside areas/castles etc. Durham is also 30 mins from Seaham by bus and is a very cool ol market town. Use www.wikitravel.org and look up seaham, newcastle upon tyne, northumberland and durham.

Once this is confirmed I will post details on local tourist attractions =)

Gheb -> glad to see your interest. If we accquire a venue for three days we will def consider brawl. However, not sure we'd have time for singles and doubles so would be one or the other. However this is not definite and yet to be discussed fully with other co-hosts.

Why would you have difficulty travelling? other holiday committments ^_^?

ed

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Gheb -> glad to see your interest. If we accquire a venue for three days we will def consider brawl. However, not sure we'd have time for singles and doubles so would be one or the other. However this is not definite and yet to be discussed fully with other co-hosts.

Why would you have difficulty travelling? other holiday committments ^_^?

ed
Hmmm...as long as one Brawl event is played and I don't have to pay about twice as much for Melee (like on Smack) I'm fine. If it's only one Brawl event I'd actually prefer singles...but I'll leave that up to you. Either way I think if you make a tourney with Melee and Brawl it's usually better to have it 50/50 IMO, since nobody wants to travel to have "his" game being treated as "lesser". If you want many people to come you're better off giving both games the same room at that tourney. I'm not saying this because I enjoy Brawl more (I actually enjoy Melee too...even though I suck) but because I think that'd be the right way to go...imo

Traveling ... it depends on the date and all, since I'm not there all the time. If it's only a weekend it's no problem at all but I'm prolly looking for a job sometime during the holidays. As long as the date is confirmed soon enough that should be no problem either. If somebody can house me, chances for me to come are ~70%.

Edit: I also have to look at my finances, since there's another tourney in France with Brawl events ... depending on date, housing, money etc I will try to get to both tourneys...

D

Deleted member

well, since there are alrerady a lot more dutchies interested I think we should be able to get there for not tto much money :D
also, if it's later in the holidays (say mid august) my freind will more than likely come too.

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
This sounds really interesting. Ryanair goes from "Oslo"(1,5 hours) to Glasgow or Liverpool(London, Dublin, Birm..), and then the coaches are so cheap? Awesome. = D I would love to attend a British tournament.

You seem like a host who knows his stuff.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I've never attended a UK tournament, but I have a lot of confidence in Kone. He's hosted many events before and has been around for years.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Thats good to hear from you Marc and that you have faith in our Koney Woney. i'm seriously looking forward to this event happening since I wanna play differeny people in Europe but I wouldn't be able to leave the country so this is good for me BABY!

Kone

Smash Master
I've never attended a UK tournament, but I have a lot of confidence in Kone. He's hosted many events before and has been around for years.
Thankyou Marc :). Not many Europeans have made a British event. We're aiming this tournament to be a change in that trend. Between myself and Aiko (co-hoster and moderator on these forums) we have hosted 10 UK tournaments and myself has ran the bracket for two other UK tournaments. These literally equates to myself and aiko running over half of all UK tournaments. You can have faith in us =D

Gheb - I completely understand. Until we have confirmed with the venue how many days we can have we will be unable to define what we are exactly running. Of course we'd love to run melee singles, doubles, international crews as well as brawl singles and doubles. However, we don't want to over stretch ourselves. We will sort the venue out, timetable the schedule then completely consider what we CAN run. Don't worry neither game will be "lesser" .

There will be a general tournament venue cost that everyone has to pay. Then there will be payment per tournament :)

Also, as noted, housing will be offered by myself to all foreigners pre and post tournament.

NorwegianLink - Yes, you should be able to make this at relative low cost.

Ed

:034:

Smash Hero
I'll have to discuss it with the crew, but there's a low chance of it actually happening. It'd be really awesome, and in the very least very interesting (and easily a better pick than going to Super Lyon in France).

66 euro's per person for a ferry definitely sounds good, too. (:

EDIT: Right, there'll have to be Brawl for us to be interested. I think hosting both Brawl singles and teams will be a good choice anyway, since it'll attract more players than with just Melee.

Gheb, if I'm allowed to go... Team with me, since I probably won't have a teammate XD

Blad01

Smash Lord
If there's Brawl, I will most likely be there ^^

EDIT :

Either way I think if you make a tourney with Melee and Brawl it's usually better to have it 50/50 IMO, since nobody wants to travel to have "his" game being treated as "lesser". If you want many people to come you're better off giving both games the same room at that tourney. I'm not saying this because I enjoy Brawl more (I actually enjoy Melee too...even though I suck) but because I think that'd be the right way to go...imo
Quoted For Truth :p

Also, as soon as you give a definitive date for this tourney, I will definitly find some others european brawlers around.

And by the way, I'm considering holding a large tournament this summer in Paris, so if you could give me a date asap, that would be nice ;)
I'll have to discuss it with the crew, but there's a low chance of it actually happening. It'd be really awesome, and in the very least very interesting (and easily a better pick than going to Super Lyon in France)
Quoted for falseness ;p

TSL4 will be awesome, there will be every single brawl good french player FD ;) I probably will be in the US at this time though....

Tiersie

Smash Ace
It's not like I won't be attending melee. It's just that I'm guaranteed to not rank as high for melee as for brawl. And to go to the UK only to be eliminated after pools every single event would be a bit of a letdown :p

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
I'm gonna be radical and say I prefer melee only or brawl only tournaments... I only play melee, and don't feel like having to play brawl, especially singles, and watching a brawl tournament is even worse, it's just too boring. (Brawl doubles might be fun though, never tried it.) And for the brawl players joining the melee tournament wouldn't be fun, because melee takes too much skill to even stand a chance against anyone who plays melee competitively. I'd say make a big melee tournament, and let someone else host a big brawl tournament (maybe someone from holland or france seeing the posts here). Unless you got at least 3 full days or something, since it's in the holidays doing something in midweek might also be an option, then you got enough time for everything.

Tiersie

Smash Ace
I actually agree that if there won't be enough time for both events, melee is the way to go. The only consequence would be that I wouldn't come. But that's just me. Also those were some perfectly times posts :p. Also if you wouldn't want to watch brawl being played take the couple of hours off(?). I'm sure there are other things to do that aren't watching brawl players going at it. But what do I know.

Also I think not all brawl players will be as hopeless at melee as you say they will be. Ofcourse there are some exceptions. And even so they will be eliminated in pools. So they won't have any major impact on the rankings itself. And you get to play more tourney matches.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
yeah ill come to the uk for you kone <3

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Gheb, if I'm allowed to go... Team with me, since I probably won't have a teammate XD
I'll think about it...though I can't guarantee anything now...

You Melee players should be glad about so many Brawl players wanting to come. Most of them suck at Melee and fill the pot with cash for you.

grayfox

Smash Champion
Wow just seen this thread, Sign me up!! I've been to many a good big euro tourney, many a good Ed tourney! For what it's worth to people outside of the UK Ed is a great host, this has the foundations to be europes best event ever

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
Ed i think we should stick to what we know how to run amazingly well in the UK, Melee!

Yeah everyone should come if Ed host's, he's a ****ing legend and a great host

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
loool Wheres the melee players at, i'm only hearing 'I will come if brawl....'
Where are all the Smash 64 players? :mad::mad::mad:

Lol I'm fine with Bawrl though, although Melee would be much more enjoyable.

J03

Smash Master
charles i disagree. We can easily run brawl as ed and ant are both involved in the UK brawl scene. also after this weekend im actually playing brawl =x

grayfox

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind a brawl event and would most certainly enter. To the people who don't want brawl, it only lasts a few hours, you can spend that time having some banter, head to the pub! Enjoy the British girls, some aren't pregnant yet and have ok teeth :confused:

One of the best things about big Euro tourneys anyways is everyone just gets together and has loads of banter, most of the time most people aren't even playing and it's just good crack. Consider it a holiday of sorts.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sexy in real life so by me saying this I will prob get the most people to attend this tournament.

I THINK the melee ruleset

Neutral Stages
FD
Battlefield
Dreamland 64
PS
YS

Counterpicks

I dunno, lol.

Kone

Smash Master
Pro - u aint sexy in the slightest man :/ sorry dude. Maybe when you've finished puberty lol?

Charles - I understand your point and its taken. Ive contacted around 12 halls that are potentially useable for what we need (3 days blah blah blah) some have already replied and im meeting them etc. Hopefully ill have good news soonish.

Whether we run brawl or not will be decided when i meet aiko and jo3 (two co-hosts) in a few weekends time. We will sit down and timetable the entire event and see what we CAN do. Alot of it is depends on how many TVs we can get together. Every large euro tourney ive been to hasn't ran on time (this is just melee) anyone remember brackets starting at midnight at ros4? lol. We don't want any such issues.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Pro - u aint sexy in the slightest man :/ sorry dude. Maybe when you've finished puberty lol?
According to the website 'Are you sexy' I entered my name and it said 100% sexy.
Also Aiko, TC and PDOT have made love to me vigirously many times and have wrote a document about my sexiness after, you're obviously just jealous that you ain't getting none of this.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm pretty sexy in real life so by me saying this I will prob get the most people to attend this tournament.

I THINK the melee ruleset

Neutral Stages
FD
Battlefield
Dreamland 64
PS
YS

Counterpicks

I dunno, lol.
FoD should be neutral. No joke.
Because it's my favourite Falco stage.

Status