• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ATTENTION! You are all UNSAFE on the ledge

Brainiac_man

Smash Journeyman
I came to this conclusion a while back, so my "get up" strategy against spiking characters consists of dropping off the ledge, then jumping into a high priority attack or airdodge.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
The difference (if I'm not imagining it) is that Brawl's vulnerability period starts at frame 1 and is longer, and the area you need to hit to spike-kill is a little wider. Maybe something that wasn't too powerful in Melee is now powerful in Brawl? *shrugs* We'll see.
Yeah, that's really the thrust of what I'm saying here. In addition, as I said before, I think this technique could start seeing some use:

Airwalk (Wario, Jigglypuff, Bowser, G&W, Kirby)
How to Perform: Run off of any platform edge and immediately press and hold the joystick in the opposite direction you were just running.
Effect: Character runs off of the edge and returns to the platform without falling or sweet-spotting. The characters listed can use this time to perform certain aerials (specified at OP).
Ok, so I just want to make sure I understand what's going on here. When you grab the ledge, the attack and roll recovery animations have slight vulnerable frames at the beginning, allowing an edgeguarder to hit the opponent while he/she is getting back to the stage?

Is this supposed to be a bad thing, because I can't really tell from the course of the thread.
I see this as a good thing, considering that maybe this knowledge could advance our edgeguarding game. It will take time to figure out if this can be incorporated.

@Megavitamins: Maybe you can show us a video about this? I think it's nearly impossible to edgehog like it was in Melee, so if you can demonstrate the frames where edgehogging is possible, it could also help us out greatly.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I named my controller something once. His name is Edge. Why? Because I'm a beast at the edge. It is my home. Thus, it is not unsafe for me.

Conclusion: The edge is your worst nightmare, but my home. Welcome.

plasmid

Smash Apprentice
I saw something somewhere else about how there is a part of the edge roll animation where you don't have invincibility. I never use it tho. back off to rising F-air or airdodge is way better.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I'll wait and see how this plays out amongst my circle of friends. Seems way to tough to predict and a lot of characters have a good option by falling off the edge and jumping back on with an air dodge or high priority attack.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
This is why snake's box is actually a decent edgeguarding tool. It's a big hitbox that moves slowly and bounces and stays out for a very long time. If you drop a box just on the edge while the opponent is on it, they will have no choice but to jump if they don't want to get hit by the box.

I expoit this a lot as Lucario or Lucas. When the opponent pulls themself up onto the edge, I do an upsmash. The hitbox duration makes it very easy to hit them most of the time.

DSM01

Smash Apprentice
Didn't Sakurai say that you get extra invincibility on your roll if you roll just as you grab the ledge?
I believe he did, but that would mean taking a riskier approach because you would have to grab the ledge just before your opponent and then quickly roll off. Of course, after reading this thread, I suppose all approaches are risky, but this is obviously the most dangerous.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
So basically, this thread explains why Marth (or anyone for that matter) can EASILY get this glitch-looking spike on the edge that I've done like 2ice in my lifetime.

At this rate, **** edgehogging... edgeguard, make opponent grab the ledge, and punish accordingly. *laughs evil laugh* this could be fun...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I cant name 3 times that the Ledge has been the worst place to be. I ledgecamp at high percents and chip at my opponents when they approach.

Top Bottom