• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aura Malarkey in 3D .:. Lsgd

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
Ew Alex Lucario body pillow. It's all about Trela Lucario body pillow.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
This thread is weird...but still better than the sum of the Smash 4 character boards.

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
Commie auto censoring the boards

So i remember someone saying (phi1 maybe?) that mario was very similar to lucario in regards to physics. So if this carries over then lucario should be overall faster and more agile in the air.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
In general, there doesn't seem to be any slooooooooooow characters from the demo/gameplay videos show. I guess they realized that was part of Brawl's problem.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
In general, there doesn't seem to be any slooooooooooow characters from the demo/gameplay videos show. I guess they realized that was part of Brawl's problem.
You know I still prefer Brawl over PM and Melee but still...yeah it was still too slow at times.

Also fixed your name on nintendo network.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I love Melee more than Brawl, but I don't want Smash 4 to be Melee 2.0. I think this elitist mentality is what is killing the community the most. If it ain't Melee, it's ****, hurrrrrrr.

Melee had it's fair share of dumb and nonsensical stuff, but oddly enough no one focuses on them...

Project M...I don't even know. What started as an attempt to give Brawl more viability to play like Melee has changed into something else. I think they lost sight of their original goals and now do whatever because whatever...

Smash 4 needs its own identity, be it good or bad...but hopefully good.

Last edited:

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Commie auto censoring the boards

So i remember someone saying (phi1 maybe?) that mario was very similar to lucario in regards to physics. So if this carries over then lucario should be overall faster and more agile in the air.
I might've mentioned it (was it regarding Brawl, or Smash 4?), but it was mostly in "knockback resistance", Lucario's fallspeed is drastically different as you may have noticed, but in terms of "weight" (not a fan of the term, but it's fundamentally easier to boil it down to that), he is around the same as Mario (although Ivy/Luc are a better example of "mid-weight" standards for Brawl).

I think Smash 4 can stand to at least remove some of those barriers. As subjectively rewarding it is to have that kind of mastery (I certainly got a kick out of being consistent), it doesn't add so much to the skill invested in the character as much as it does to the minimum needed just to play the game, and there is a lot to gain from removing some antiquated mechanics, namely L-Canceling.

I feel like P:M has some incredible potential, but I think devs are really in a lose-lose situation. They feel like they have to appease all these newcomers who initially think "Gee willikers, I can now play X!", which in several character's cases were a result of some heavy "frankensteining" to their moveset/properties to where they still feel brittle, but now their reward is ridiculous and options are lopsided. On the other camp, you have the annoying mentality that expects it to be a Space Animal zoo, and wonders why characters with a very forgiving design to begin with (namely Pit's large, fairly quick disjoints, strong projectile and decent recovery) are allowed to have such a large amount of leverage. There's merit to both, but I feel coming from a Brawl background where edgeguarding was a lot more situational, I find myself (and from observing some players who play both) being able to edgeguard and gimp to some degree. When you start to understand how Brawl's edge works, especially with some tethers, and that having ledge invincibility != free edgehog, you actually have to be more finite in timing things or more ballsy with your edgeguards.

Last edited:

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
The Mario/Lucario comparison was for Brawl and the carries over part was for Smash 4

I like watching others play Melee more than Brawl, but honestly I prefer to play Brawl over Melee. Kinda my fault for pouring more time into Brawl. Which stinks because I live in a strict Melee-only area and the closest place to host Brawl events are like 2 hours away (why are they always 2 hours away:confused::confused::confused:). I mean I recently got a new copy of melee to try to fit in, but practicing a game I don't really enjoy feels like a chore. On top of that I don't think I'll be going anywhere playing against people who started since Melee's day 1. Just one more reason why I'm looking forward to Smash 4's release. I really hope that this can bring us together.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium

Yo, i'd just wait for smash 4 to come out if melee ain't your cup of tea. It's the same **** for me. It's a melee dominated scene with a handful of people that still put effort into brawl, and as much as i'd like to discover a new scene, I don't feel like jumping into a game that others have like, what? 3+ years experience playing. No thanks.

Everyones gonna be new to smash 4 and that's why i'm looking forward to it. to be honest I came into the brawl scene kinda later too so. Yea, this'll be neat. I look forward to all the year 1 bull **** that gets discovered.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I kinda wanted to share more of my thoughts on this matter, but instead wanted to share a link to a song that shows one of my main reason I love the pokemon anime. The great music.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
I maintain PM will be the future. That could include a mod to smash 4 for a PM2 or something.

I think people are too harsh on the devs. So what if they knee-jerk nerfs and buffs, its their game they can do what they want.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'd be more ok with PM if they also removed things that shouldn't have come back from Melee, but traditionalism is why they came back.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
P:M is a buch of fanservice. It's kinda fun and everything but I'll take my vanilla games and Brawl minus anytime.

Browny

Smash Hater
Only thing I dont like is crouch cancelling and how you can negate KO moves by like 40% by just holding down. I dont remember that being in melee? I thought it only worked at low %'s but plenty of times I hit people with a smash attack and they just go no where at 130%

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Only thing I dont like is crouch cancelling and how you can negate KO moves by like 40% by just holding down. I dont remember that being in melee? I thought it only worked at low %'s but plenty of times I hit people with a smash attack and they just go no where at 130%
This was in Melee, a lot of characters benefited from this. Was it 100% intentional, probably not. Most likely they didn't care about removing it at the time. Brawl probably had it removed because of buffering. I suspect a lot of things got removed because of buffering...

I doubt it will be in Smash 4 because buffering will probably be the same.
I maintain PM will be the future. That could include a mod to smash 4 for a PM2 or something.

I think people are too harsh on the devs. So what if they knee-jerk nerfs and buffs, its their game they can do what they want.
The problem is, if they do what they want, then what is the game going to become? Where is the limit to what characters are added? Moves? Advanced techs?

If they arbitrarily add or remove something without a good reason, people will get pissed off. People want Project Moo to be a game FOR them, but that can't be achieved if random features are added because HERP DERP BERP I DO WHAT I WANT LALALALALALA~.

The game has simply become distorted from the designers' original goals. Hell, it's becoming less of a Smash game and more of a bad fanfic game. LET'D MAKE EVERY CHARACTER EVER PLAYABLE! Come on now, there needs to be a limit.

And Project Mop will never become the future. Nintendo will never support it because it is an unofficial mod. EVO/MLG will not support it if Nintendo doesn't support it, because they won't receive sponsorship money for it nor would they want to risk a C&D from Nintendo. Plus newer Smash games will ALWAYS attract more attention. Project Mash is doomed to be a minority in the Smash community. If a PM2 or whatever does happen, the same thing will happen. People will follow the money.

Last edited:

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Iirc Brawl+ (anyone remember that?) died in popularity because the devs were too quick to make adjustments, at least that's the hearsay I remembered going around the forums at the time.

I think they've learned a lot since then, but it's always something that needs to be kept in mind. For example, one of the characters that I feel more inexperienced players QQ about a loooot in PM is Zelda. Despite her buffs, she has a very static style of play, and has similar weaknesses to her previous incarnations, albeit much stronger now. But you know there's a lot of pressure from people that get gimmicked by Zelda saying "wtf she kicked me when I was trying to combo her" or "zomg her control game is so broken", and there's always a need to understand what really needs to be changed for the health of the game, while also trying to avoid people leaving the game in droves.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
let me rephrase what i said

i think smash 4 will have a similar fate as brawl. it will be hugely popular at first, ninty will support it and all that... for a while. then the next big thing comes out that they care about, be it the next zelda or mario universe or something. By that time support for the game will be dwindling, melee will be all but dead but with the huge skill headstart hackers have, we will have a PM2 far quicker than PM1 came out in relation to brawl.

smash 4 wont be featured in any big tourneys like evo after maybe 2016, so everyone playing a vanilla game wont make any difference. think like when brawl was dropped from MLG, after that a lot of people went to melee/pm/brawl mods.

Ive been caught out being wrong before on this forum a lot, Im lucky I didnt press post when I was going to make a bet that I would delete my account if pac-man was announced, but truly, thats how I see things happening. A lot of it has to do with the fact that when smash 4 comes out, it will be mere WEEKS until people start trying to make a PM2.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
let me rephrase what i said

i think smash 4 will have a similar fate as brawl. it will be hugely popular at first, ninty will support it and all that... for a while. then the next big thing comes out that they care about, be it the next zelda or mario universe or something. By that time support for the game will be dwindling, melee will be all but dead but with the huge skill headstart hackers have, we will have a PM2 far quicker than PM1 came out in relation to brawl.

smash 4 wont be featured in any big tourneys like evo after maybe 2016, so everyone playing a vanilla game wont make any difference. think like when brawl was dropped from MLG, after that a lot of people went to melee/pm/brawl mods.

Ive been caught out being wrong before on this forum a lot, Im lucky I didnt press post when I was going to make a bet that I would delete my account if pac-man was announced, but truly, thats how I see things happening. A lot of it has to do with the fact that when smash 4 comes out, it will be mere WEEKS until people start trying to make a PM2.
There was a reason Brawl died down and why Melee is a big thing now. Documentary and the donation drive, Brawl in general was also losing people at this time so the Documentary and Donation Drive got new life into Melee.

PM2 isn't gonna happen if Nintendo keeps patching the WiiU for a while and doesn't have an easy exploit like the stage builder booting up PM.

PM won't be the future as long as it is a hack and major tournaments have more interest in non hack games over the hacked ones. Plus Nintendo won't shut down one of their main games at an EVO and MLG at this point, even more so after the huge backlash they got for saying no to streaming at EVO when it first showed up.

PM2 will take a while, if it even happens which I don't think it will since Smash 4 is better than Brawl for the sheer fact is removed two-three really stupid things from Brawl that people universally hated while speeding the gameplay up.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I spent some more time on the 3DS demo yesterday at the Play Nintendo tour in Houston.

The more time I play, the more I feel that characters with good kill power supported by good damage output and speed will be top tier.

Top Bottom