• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Austin TX, Brawl/ Melee tourny July 11th

Popertop

Smash Champion
I might come to this.
Dunno. Depends on my schedule and if I get permission.
Put me as a might for Melee and Brawl.
And as a YES for Bushido and GGAC and 3rd strike.
And as a "h-WAT" for pop'n whatever.

Wobbles, I can't practice what you taught me, but hopefully my brain will absorb it and I'll be better when i come up there maybe.
I should just go Falco the whole time...

BIG MAYBE, but if I go it will be sweet, and hopefully I can make it to the beaumont tourney the next day also....

-RedShadow

Smash Ace
Any chances that someone'll record matches or somethin'? Y'know....to upload on Internetz????

Also, does any1 know if the Melee & Brawl events will be separate times or will both be going at the same time? (T.T)

AustinRC

Smash Lord
I'm going to try and have each event at a different time to help everything go smoothly.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Since Melee teams was actually more popular than Brawl teams at FS4, Brawl teams should be replaced by Melee teams at TAMBOURINE.

Yeah I'm calling it TAMBOURINE, what of it!?

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
That's because Brawl teams was done so poorly. It didn't start until extremely late into the evening and most people had left because the tournament was going so slow and there were so few setups. FS4 is a bad example as to why something should happen.

At the last HOBO I went to, they did teams first and the attendance was huge.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Since Melee teams was actually way more fun than Brawl teams at FS4, Brawl teams should be replaced by Melee teams at TAMBOURINE.

-RedShadow

Smash Ace
Hmmm I can try to bring a TV as well if it helps. But is it necessary for them to be small, or do you think I can get away with bringing a BIG one? ;)

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Your request for Melee teams has been taken into account bluezaft thank you.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Way to totally ignore his counterpoint and repeat your original claim.
Nice logic there sir.
Way to totally ignore my subtle word changes and think I repeated my original claim.
Nice attention to detail there sir.

Oh man, bluezaft did it again! He's unstoppable!

Anywho, I will bring a tv/cube setup with a VCR to record Melee.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Bluezaft the mind games are for when your playing keep your mind games out of my forum! and thanks for bringing the setup.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Ok, Austin, you need a new rule list mang. You want this tournament to be pro! Any decent player can vouch for this stage list.

Here you go:

Randoms:
Battlefield
Smashville
FD
Yoshi's Island

Counter-picks:
Castle Siege
Luigi's Mansion
Halberd
Rainbow Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Frigate Orpheon
Norfair
Port Town Aero Dive (maybe)
Mario Circuit
Onett
Brinstar
Pirate Ship
Delfino
Pokémon Stadium 2
Jungle Japes

Banned:
Everything else.

8 min, 3 stock
One stage ban, one random reset.
You can also choose to do two stage bans since the CP list is larger than most.

IC chaingrab not banned. Stalling banned.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Ok, Austin, you need a new rule list mang. You want this tournament to be pro! Any decent player can vouch for this stage list.

Here you go:

Randoms:
Battlefield
Smashville
FD
Yoshi's Island

Counter-picks:
Castle Siege
Luigi's Mansion
Halberd
Rainbow Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Frigate Orpheon
Norfair BAN
Port Town Aero Dive (maybe NOT)
Mario Circuit meh
Onett gross
Brinstar
Pirate Ship
Delfino
Pokémon Stadium 2 why?
Jungle Japes
Distant Planet NO

Banned:
Everything else.

8 min, 3 stock

Other than that, it's fine.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Well, we have had hundreds of pages of discussion over levels in the SBR and I took out the only ones that are really controversial.

Norfair's lava doesn't kill until uber high percents, Port Town has really easy to avoid cars (but they kill at around 60%, so it's a maybe), Mario Circuit you can pick a character that doesn't get CGd by D3, Onett's cars don't kill anymore and it's not tall enough to only have vertical KOs, there is absolutely nothing wrong with PS2, and Distant Planet, which I've since removed, only has one hazard and you'd have to be an idiot to die by it.

Any other questions? :)

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Well, we have had hundreds of pages of discussion over levels in the SBR and I took out the only ones that are really controversial.

Norfair's lava doesn't kill until uber high percents, Port Town has really easy to avoid cars (but they kill at around 60%, so it's a maybe), Mario Circuit you can pick a character that doesn't get CGd by D3, Onett's cars don't kill anymore and it's not tall enough to only have vertical KOs, there is absolutely nothing wrong with PS2, and Distant Planet, which I've since removed, only has one hazard and you'd have to be an idiot to die by it.

Any other questions? :)
how about corneria?

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531

Here you go:

Randoms:
Battlefield
Smashville
FD
Yoshi's Island

Counter-picks:
Castle Siege
Luigi's Mansion
Halberd
Rainbow Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Frigate Orpheon
Norfair
Port Town Aero Dive (maybe)
Mario Circuit
Onett
Brinstar
Pirate Ship
Delfino
Pokémon Stadium 2
Jungle Japes

Banned:
Everything else.

8 min, 3 stock

Timer should be 7 or 6. Brawl takes way too long as it is. I dunno about two stage bans either.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
The CP list is far larger than many TO's, including the one used for the FS series. Two stage bans would not leave one player at a disadvantage. Players should learn to utilize several characters and stages. I'm not arguing for it or against it, it's just a new concept many people are using.

Also, the timer should be at LEAST 7 minutes. Most of the 1st round matches are 3-5 minutes, and the CPs are usually around 6. Semis and finals, however, can be very intense and easily last 7 minutes. The matches should not be forced to end by time if they are the focal point of a tournament.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Hmm, I might come to this...and I'll bring a Wii if I do.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This is AustinRC on Hylians account.

Neutral Random stages:
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise

Counter Pick:
Battleship Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Corneria (Melee)
Great Sea
Rainbow Ride
Frigate Orpheon
Castle Siege
Brinstar (Melee)
Green Greens (Melee)
Pokemon Stadium

Everything else is banned.

This is what I'm going to go by for now, only complaints I've had are of Lylat being on random other than that what do yall think? I'm trying to give a different stage select because those stages seem legit to me if you have a problem with it tell me why you think the stage or stages should be banned. Thanks again!

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Did you even change anything?

**** no to Lylat being a neutral. It ****s up the auto canceling of several characters and it bones recoveries.

Green greens should never ever be not banned. D3 can CG into the blocks and throw them through bombs.

I don't think Corneria should be a CP because of the way D3 and other can camp the fin so easily, but it's not that big of a deal.

I think you should have more stages, but that's your call and it's not that big of a deal.

Anh

Smash Rookie
hmm, i'll see if i can make it to this tournament. sounds like fun!

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Mario Circuit you can pick a character that doesn't get CGd by D3
Green greens should never ever be not banned. D3 can CG into the blocks and throw them through bombs
Lawl.

I think Jungle Japes should be a viable counterpick. I mean, some chars can do some gay stuff on it (why hello there falco spike into water), but other characters can do plenty of gay stuff on other counterpick stages. I mean, thats why its counterpicked, right? And the water makes it so if you accidentally fall off the right side you don't auto-die sans melee.

I'm against Lylat being a neutral also. I don't like stages that tilt away from me when I try to sweetspot the edge.

Bwett

Smash Ace
Can't wait for this. I missed the San Antonio one, but all of G-Krew (Infinity, Fogo, Ice, and me) from Dallas should be present.

EDIT: I second the motion for Lylat being a CP instead of neutral. Too many uncool things happen there. Also, Green Greens...I've seen ridiculous amounts of suicides, infinites, and death by bombs there. Personally, I would love to see it banned.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I asked off work for this. I need money for florida >_<.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
I've tested out a few more stages and nothing was to fair I dont really want the mario circut one because of bull**** tactics... also I'm adding Jungle Japes to counter pick A. due to popular demand and B. you can do some sweet tricks on that stage and also Lylat curise is now on CP instead of neutral. I'm going to keep Green Greens and Corneria and if there is a huge debate about it later on I WILL ban it for my next tournament. The reason for a counter pick is to be able to have a slight advantage in a match I think most of those stages give those characters a slight advantage. But thats me.

On another note WE NEED MORE TV'S!!!!!!!!

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
Keep it 7 mins and 3 stocks, please.
7 mins is long enough, having it at 8 is just ********.

But in general, this tournament is starting to sound really nice. I hope I can make it but I won't know for sure until sometime around this coming Tuesday.

If I do make it, I will bring a TV (I believe I noted this before, not sure).

Gonna see if I can also invite some other friends into attending this event.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Having a lower time limit doesn't make anyone camp less and it makes more matches end by time. If someone is going to camp, they are going to camp regardless of the time.

I'd 100% support 7 minutes, but some of the CPs are so large that it can push the match to being really long even without extensive camping.

There would be about 88 matches in a 60 man tourney. Assuming they average to 2.5 games each, that's 220 games.

Even if 1/15 matches go an extra minute (which is way too many), you're looking at 14 games going an extra minute. That's 14 minutes of extra time for the entire tournament.

Not a big deal at all.

Top Bottom