• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Automatic wall jump? (updated with video)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This happens to me on occasion, I drop down from the edge, and instead of jumping into an F-air, I wall jump into a B-Air. I have no idea how it happens, the trajectory for it is awesome, and a B-Air rocks because there is like no lag after it. However, on top of that, there could be other things, like automatic wall jump down-B for placing bananas on stage at a very low risk. Shrug.

Has anyone else done this/knows how to do it consistently? Or is it like Falco's triple laser edge recovery?

UPDATE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjrihLFjiA4

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
IF you are talking on FD, then you are actually doing a wall jump. If you time it right, you can do it consistently. It's good to drop a banana onto the stage like that then grab the edge again.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Yeah I think you're just doing a normal wall jump on the edge of it, happens to me every once in a while. I sometimes wall cling on yoshi's Island to throw some bananas on the stage

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I've had it happen on FD/SV/other levels. Its instant and I can't replicate the results. I'm thinking of going into slow mo and trying, but my guess is you have to drop down and quickly press in and out on the controls stick. It looks like your character is jumping straight from the edge, and you can curve the trajectory so you go over the stage much like a regular edge jump.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
I've had it happen on FD/SV/other levels. Its instant and I can't replicate the results. I'm thinking of going into slow mo and trying, but my guess is you have to drop down and quickly press in and out on the controls stick. It looks like your character is jumping straight from the edge, and you can curve the trajectory so you go over the stage much like a regular edge jump.
that actually sounds really useful. I'm going to learn that.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Only in that the wall jump appears to be instant (IE you don't really see the character drop down). Also, add BF to that list. It looks like Diddy, instead of jumping facing forward onto the edge, jumps and faces backwards. The problem is that, I'm guessing, the timing/button input for it is insanely difficult, which is why I can't do it consistently/replicate the results and thus far have only performed it by accident. It happens all the time on wifi, and I'm guessing its because the game reads the inputs but is moving at a slower pace (button lag), so it therefor detects the left to right control flick in the space almost right on the edge of the stage. Shrug, I'm just theorizing, I was mainly wondering if other people have done this by accident as well or even knows how to replicate it.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Only in that the wall jump appears to be instant (IE you don't really see the character drop down). Also, add BF to that list. It looks like Diddy, instead of jumping facing forward onto the edge, jumps and faces backwards. The problem is that, I'm guessing, the timing/button input for it is insanely difficult, which is why I can't do it consistently/replicate the results and thus far have only performed it by accident. It happens all the time on wifi, and I'm guessing its because the game reads the inputs but is moving at a slower pace (button lag), so it therefor detects the left to right control flick in the space almost right on the edge of the stage. Shrug, I'm just theorizing, I was mainly wondering if other people have done this by accident as well or even knows how to replicate it.
I'll try, I also have a few videos that most likely have it in there

Player-1

Smash Legend
Im not sure if i got the “instant” thing you were talking about, but i can easily wall jump pretty fast, i'll have a vid up later to see if it's right

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yea, unfortunately, that isn't what I'm talking about lol.

Its instant and you can get the trajectory to actually make you come over the edge. I'll have to quit out of the next match it happens to me in (even if it means a loss, sigh).

Vall3y

Smash Lord
It happened to me a few times. I tried to replicate it with no success. If someone could figure it out it could actually be a useful thing

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so I was able to mimic it, but it seems unlikely that you (or anyone that has done this) input these commands while you were playing that match. =P

This IS a wall jump, but it takes really fast hands to make it happen as quick as it does. If I'm hanging off a ledge on the left side of the platform, I would input these commands:

Left --> Right + Jump --> Left --> Right --> Attack

I practiced this on Final Destination, Jungle Japes, and Battlefield, the latter being the easiest to pull off.
Again, you have to do this REALLY fast, or else you'll shoot right over the edge back onto the stage.

I played around with it a bit more, and found that this is also useful if you disregard that last "Right" input. That will cause you to seemingly boost out of your wall jump with a Fair, which looks pretty cool when it's done quickly. =P

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
It is definitely a wall jump. IF you look closely you can see Diddy walljump for a split second on the bottom part of that ledge... you just input the attack command really early.

Player-1

Smash Legend
It is definitely a wall jump. IF you look closely you can see Diddy walljump for a split second on the bottom part of that ledge... you just input the attack command really early.
...we already know its a wall jump, did you read the title.

saberhof

Smash Master
ooh, i know what this is, but i have an easier way of doing it, but i only do it with Jigglypuff, never tried it with diddy...i will try and upload a video myself :O...

SuSa

Banned via Administration
ooh, i know what this is, but i have an easier way of doing it, but i only do it with Jigglypuff, never tried it with diddy...i will try and upload a video myself :O...
Jiggly..... can... wall jump?

Also this seems to be exactly like what happens with sheik.

Fall, rotate analog stick in a counter or clockwise direction (depends if your on left or right edge), makes wall jump then immadiatly do an aerial.

Works for I believe any character that can wall jump..

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Notice the trajectory after the wall jump though.

Instead of heading away from the stage player1, like in your videos, he goes straight up, and I've had it happen where I've even arched over the stage.

I know its a wall jump, but there is some other input with the control stick going on so he doesn't shoot away from the stage.

ADHD

Smash Hero

Instead of heading away from the stage player1, like in your videos, he goes straight up, and I've had it happen where I've even arched over the stage.

I know its a wall jump, but there is some other input with the control stick going on so he doesn't shoot away from the stage.
Was what I showed you earlier today what you are talking about? (I'm wyatt on wifi)

It wasn't frame perfect or anything though, but I've gotten the wall jump before.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yeap, that was pretty much it. HOT STUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFf

However, I've yet to see anyone do it where they actually land on the edge afterwards, a feet I've only managed about 3 times.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Yeap, that was pretty much it. HOT STUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFf

However, I've yet to see anyone do it where they actually land on the edge afterwards, a feet I've only managed about 3 times.
So you know how to do it now? That diddy ditto lol

IDK

Smash Lord
in slo mo you can see the double jump air wave thing though. so i don't know if it was a wall jump... anyway on final d i do this by ledgedropping>forward b at the stage>wall jump>bair back to stage or fair for edgeguard or just tap back for edgehog. then you STILL have a second jump and upb.

Player-1

Smash Legend

This it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f6qqHV7tL4

Vall3y

Smash Lord
what, hasnt been figured out yet?
you must figure this out so diddy can edge camp like a ***** -> instant top tier

IDK

Smash Lord
what, hasnt been figured out yet?
you must figure this out so diddy can edge camp like a ***** -> instant top tier
hmm yes that makes complete sense.

what the guy was saying about jiggz was that puff balls and pit/charizard can use their multiple jumps to turn around, while 2 jump characters can't turn around with their second. this means they can fall off the edge, jump away, and c stick towards the stage performing a bair.

ADHD

Smash Hero
For people who want to know how to do this:

Drop down and as fast as possible hit away from the wall and jump, if you get it right, you'll only hear one jumping noise.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Like I said in the Tactical Discussion thread, drop down and press the controlstick to the platform, then jump 2 times quickly.

Top Bottom