• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AV to HDMI Lag?

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
I run melee through my wii, but unfortunately I do not have a TV atm. I do however have this laptop monitor, which accepts HDMI inputs.

Would there be an increase in lag if I put an HDMI converter in the back of my Wii so that I could transmit the wii's signal to my laptop screen via HDMI?

If anybody knows, thanks.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Most likely. Any sort of upscaling will create input lag.

lanabo

Smash Apprentice
in my experience melee will lag on anything that isn't a crt monitor or television

i think there will be an increase in lag

Acryte

Smash Ace
Actually there are such things as LCD Monitors that have 480p resolution... If you buy one of these 3 or 4 models then you will be outputting native rez. The only downside on those monitors is that they are obviously older LCDs and since its not CRT (instant response) the response time on the monitor is usually crap. There is a Zenith one that has 12ms and that's about as good as it's gonna get. Not a bad deal though considering its flat screen and pretty portable at a decent size.

That's if you want an LCD Monitor... there are also a few LCD EDTVs as well http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=L20V36-R like this one has respons time 10ms not bad. Has component in.

I bought me one of the 30" samsung slimfit CRT HDTVs because it supports progressive scan and has Component/HDMI in as well as being slightly less deep than traditional CRTs.

Also the CRT Sony FW900 monitor supports resolutions greater than 1080p which is pretty insane. Max res of 2048x1536

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
Your laptop monitor should have a VGA port. Use a component to VGA adapter if you can. You'll eliminate any upscaling and conversions by keeping the signal the same (analog to analog), and most monitors and HDTVs don't have upscaling on their VGA ports (at least five years ago anyway).

If for some reason you don't have a VGA port, then use a component to HDMI adapter, and if your monitor has a Game Mode, then use it. It's faster to upscale from 480p than from 480i.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Where does it say it's an input? Those connectors are for output only, for secondary external displays.
The built-in display is simply connected to the graphics chip in the computer and nothing else. If you want inputs, you need to go via USB or some other IO port and viewed through some software.

I don't think there exists a laptop with direct inputs like that (for any type, HDMI, VGA etc).

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
Damn, I think you might be right. I'd have to buy some sort of USB adapter.

Thanks.

Edit: It looks like the only way I could get this to work would be by using capture card that would go through USB. Anybody know of a lagless one by any chance?

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
I can think of no lagless capture card. Generally anything that goes through something digital will induce some sort of lag, and USB is definitely not an exception. Even recording audio through a mixer takes some delay, and video is much more complicated.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Capture -> USB -> drivers -> software...
Definitely not lagless.
The solution you're after doesn't exist, unfortunately.

You might be able to solder your own switch that you tap into the display cables inside the laptop, assuming you know what signal it uses and you can convert HDMI (or what you're using) to it. Good luck.

Gea

Smash Master
Yeah "lagless" capture cards involve using splitters. Your best bet is getting a cheap CRT from goodwill or craigslist for basically free and worrying about a better solution when you can afford a better TV.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
What Gea said is basically correct, except I think the CRT is actually the best solution. I've played on some pretty great LCD's, but nothing quite hits the same level as a CRT.

Acryte

Smash Ace
@ajp_anton My alienware laptop has an HDMI input honestly thats the main reason I decided on it over a cheaper brand that has better performance for the dollar.

@beeboprocket = Negative, just because the signal is analog to analog doesn't mean anything because non CRT monitors have native resolutions and to display stuff that isn't it's native resolution it has to convert (upscale) the image to the appropriate dimensions. That is why I suggested that if you went the LCD/Plasma route to buy one of the 480p native res monitors.

Also I have a LED tv that I use with game mode and fast response plus I use a DVDO video converter which can upscale it in like a 3rd of a frame I think when it has to deinterlace... much less than that I believe for simply upscaling progressive scan video. It's not bad but I haven't played on it since I grabbed my CRT so I can't attest to how lagless it really feels. About to transition to it tomorrow though since I'm trapped on the ship while on duty. Guess I'll find out how lagless my setup really feels after weeks of precision tech skill practice with fox on a CRT.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
@ajp_anton My alienware laptop has an HDMI input honestly thats the main reason I decided on it over a cheaper brand that has better performance for the dollar.
Interesting. However, does it connect directly to the screen via some switch, or is it a capture that goes via software?

Acryte

Smash Ace
Pretty sure it's direct I haven't noticed any visible lag when playing 360 on it. You have a button that just toggles the screen to view the input from the HDMI there is no associated program that is running for it :)

Top Bottom