• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Average age of smashers.

MisshapenKontra

Smash Rookie
Just wondering what the average age of you smashers are. I am to head up the tournament at my GS store and was wondering what kind of turn out I would be getting, age wise.

Personally all my friends are 19 and 20, and we love this game even tho it is made for a "younger and more casual group", so just wondering if it's the same for everyone else as well.

otter

Smash Ace
From my (little) experience with the tourney scene, and from being on this site, it's alot younger than other fighting games. Maybe around 16 or 17.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
While 99% of competitive smashers are between 11 and 23 years old (with most of the others being 24-27), I'll speak for anyone who has ever played smash:

If I had to guess, it would be a bell curve centered around 16 with a standard deviation of 3 years.

This would imply that there are as many 13 year olds as 19 year olds, and 68% of smashers fall into this range of 13-19 years old.

Similarly, there would be as many 10 year olds as 22 year olds, and that 95% of people who have played smash fall into this 10-22 year old range.

In reality, the bell curve would be marginally right-skewed (that is, there certainly aren't as many smashers who are 1 year old as are 31).

Another observation, is that, in general, every year smash has been out, the the curve flattens out slightly, spreading to the right as some people continue to play smash (but staying roughly the same on the left as new players are attracted), thus moving the mean a portion of a year older.

Also keep in mind that the age distribution for smashboards posters will be a tighter, slightly higher curve since the younger a smasher is from the mean, the less likely they are to be able or be interested in posting here.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
I'm 19 turning 20 in july.Played this game since I was13

MisshapenKontra

Smash Rookie
If I had to guess, it would be a bell curve centered around 16 with a standard deviation of 3 years. This would imply that there are as many 13 year olds as 19 year olds, and as many 10 year olds as 22 year olds. This has been asked a lot before, but that's my 2 cents.
Interesting, although you are probably right. so I guess I can assume the average age is going to be from 14-20, sounds about right.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I'm 16. My friends are also of that age though some are a year younger. I started playing since the original, and every year for Melee. I will be 17 this April.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
The oldest smasher I know is 43 and he only played once.That man would be my dad.lol.^-^

tral

Smash Cadet
I am 16. I expected to be on the lower end of the spectrum, but apparently that is not the case.
Most of the people I play with are 16-17, the other (my friend's brother) being 20.

And as you can probably tell, I'm also new here. I've lurked for a while and with Brawl on the horizon I decided to register.

Chro

Smash Apprentice
16... don't really know any other people who play/plan to outside of old 15 to young 17...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

10pokemans

Gindler

Smash Champion
18, so i played the first one when i was like 10 or 11. I don't think it's for alot younger kids because I got worlds better as i got older because my hands could move faster and i could react faster. so I'd say the best people playing are probably like 14 or 15 to about 26. during the peak of reflexes I'd assume.

Top Bottom