• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

B-sticking with Marth.

GTGD

Smash Rookie
It appears to be extremely useful to highly technical and precise players. Many are saying how Marth's side B will be an incredible defensive tool using it, and I agree.

But I also think that for very technical players with lots of control, neutral B could also be used. The range of the move, plus the fact that B sticking it would pretty much guarantee you a sweet spot make it a very nice addition.

Add in the fact that it destroys shields with a high priority attack and that means that you will almost always connect through an attack, AND you can effectively render Shield Canceling useless because of the increased shield knockback and the fact that they have to be careful not to approach that way too often for fear of breaking their shield and being severely punished.

Furthermore, b-sticking Marth's up B causes him to attack exactly vertically, without any horizontal movement. It could be used to edge guard and grab the side of it using a fast fall.

Let's also talk about how Marth's Bair can get more usage with the auto-short hop functionality of b-sticking. By using Bair more, you can either power back up Fair, or you can use Bair as a KO move. Stale moves now no longer applies to those attacks when you can interchange them so easily.

And that's just touching on a few uses of the technique. Marth's game just got a whole lot better thanks to one little technique. I highly recommend using a B-sticking setup for him, even if it sacrifices the c-smashes. It's still possible to quickly use smash attacks even out of shield cancels without the c-stick, it'll just take a bit of practice.

Anyway, after reading this post your thoughts about it as well as any other ideas related to b-sticking with Marth. I can't wait to hear the awesome strategies everyone is going to come up with.

GTGD

Smash Rookie
I practiced for about 20 minutes and can get it 60% of the time by tilting at a 45 degree upwards angle, and sort of slowly going half the distance between the neutral position and all the way. Sure it will be much harder in actual battle situations, but I'm not really a great technical player myself so I can see people doing it with relative ease after some practice.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
some clarification. do u mean to get back to the stage with B. or short hop and sweet spot the ledge with narutal or foward B O.o lol i do both but idk what you mean.

GTGD

Smash Rookie
some clarification. do u mean to get back to the stage with B. or short hop and sweet spot the ledge with narutal or foward B O.o lol i do both but idk what you mean.
If this was directed at me, huh?

I'm talking about using them as attacks against an opponent with B-sticking. I didn't talk about recovering at all, or the ledge with the exception of the b-stick up B edgeguarding technique.

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
Sounds interesting...
I was thinking about it myself,
might make me use the counter more often, since it could be done quickly using the c-stick...
Would own :D

GTGD

Smash Rookie
I've been having issues chaining dancing blade strokes and I love my fast smashes too much :p
Since the b-stick only affects the initial attack (the first swipe of the combo in this case), you can actually input the rest of the combo normally. Doing it all with the b-stick method doesn't give any added momentum backwards other than the first slash. And yeah, I know the fast smashes are awesome, but if you took time to practice it wouldn't be too much of an issue. Not everyone instantly implemented wavedashing into their playstyles in melee, it took time to get everything down to a natural reflex. And the payoff of having the b-stick (and it's the only way to get the results posted in this topic) outweighs a bit of a learning curve, at least in my opinion.

so you're saying use the c-stick as your special moves? i dont see what advantages this would have
The b-stick technique is explained thoroughly in this topic:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152409

In short, the backwards momentum gained by b-sticking is useful for attack (because buffs to attacking out of a shield), and defense because you're still applying pressure while not being too aggressive. I highly advise you read that topic, it's a great source of information regarding the technique and is ongoing.

Lucan Desmond

Smash Rookie
I've actually really come to love b-sticking with Marth. I only use it for UP B and DOWN B though, I still use the B button for Dancing Blade and Shield Breaker. It's really helped me achieve a better flow with my moves and perform my Counter and Dolphin Slash much faster at the exact moments that I need them. Its all about timing and b-sticking has really helped me get it down much better.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
^ Tilt the C-Stick in one of the intermediate directions slightly (northeast, northwest, etc.). You get the idea.

Top Bottom