• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Backwards short hop out of dash

MarthMarthMarth

Smash Rookie
I'm a scrublord who likes to bury aerials on shield, and I'm trying to get out of the habit. My thoughts are that if I can do retreating aerials out of dash, I can land tipper fairs on shield and apply pressure without getting bodied by shield grabs. I have a lot of difficulty actually getting the retreating jump, though. I can get a neutral jump (straight up) somewhat often, but rarely can I actually jump in the opposite direction of the dash. How is this kind of momentum determined? Does anyone know what kind of input pitfalls are leading me to be unable to do this correctly?

Last edited:

Sycorax

Smash Ace
There is this thing called an analog jump that gives you momentum out of your jump. It is determined by the x-position of your control stick when you jump. For Marth, the game checks the position at the last frame of jump, so you want to be holding back by the second to last frame of jump.

So like, dash forward, jump press and hold back. If you do it fast enough, you'll get a slight amount of net backwards movement when you jump.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Main thing is you need to an actual backjump and not a forward one where you start backwards drift shortly after (that is, you hold back on the frame you leave the ground... or the one before that?) The difference between the two is huge.
Also I think to get actual, retreating jumps you need to be still dashing, not running.

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
I've never actually had a problem with this. Just hold back when you jump then hit the c stick. Or is it not that easy?

Top Bottom