• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bad habit >_>

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
Ever since SSB64, I've had this bad habit of not using Dsmashes:( Seeing how Pika's Dsmash is pretty strong, this is a big problem for me. Can anyone give me tips on how to either break this habit or find a good way to KO people without Dsmash?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
umm, I really don't understand how this habit can transfer over through series of games, but...try this:

Go to training mode and play against 3 snakes. Have them set to lvl 9 and put them at like 300%. They love to stay on the ground, so using dsmash will become instinctive once you us it so much. Just keep trying to kill them normally, and you'll realize that it's impossible to kill them efficiently w/o your awesome dsmash. Hopefully, you'll create a habit that's not as bad as the one you've got right now. (Kinda like smoking mary and then switchin over to crack cuz it's not as bad for you...)

Ekoix.exe

Smash Ace
Uh.. Lets ignore the drug addict advice and go with shock therapy. Have a loyal friend charlie horse you ever time you fail to use a downsmash in the right situation. You will now D-Smash on reflex. In a more serious tone, Spam it for awhile against lv 9 CPU's 3 stock matchs and it should become a reflex.

ForestSage

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, just fight some computers while constantly trying to use downsmash and it should come to you.. I mean.. i know how to QAC and everything but I usually forget about it or its not always my first method of attack but when i do have it in mind I do see more opportunities.

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
Thanks everyone!

@DanGR: In ssbm, I mained Fox, Pika, and DK. Fox really didn't have a need for Dsmash, Pika's was sorta crappy in melee, and DK's B and Uair were my ways of killing and racking up dmg.

@Ekoix: Tried the charlie horse, didn't work. :(

@ForestSage: Alright, thanks for advice.:)

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Although the DSmash is an AWESOME move, it's very predictable and expected by most avid smashers. With the right shielding time, people often make a quick counter attack.

Personally, I prefer the FSmash; if you shield it, you get pushed away more than you would from a DSmash; not to mention that it's actually more powerful (Even sourspotted, it still does at least 14%. You have to connect with all hits of DSmash to get it's normal 15%)

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
Although the DSmash is an AWESOME move, it's very predictable and expected by most avid smashers. With the right shielding time, people often make a quick counter attack.

Personally, I prefer the FSmash; if you shield it, you get pushed away more than you would from a DSmash; not to mention that it's actually more powerful (Even sourspotted, it still does at least 14%. You have to connect with all hits of DSmash to get it's normal 15%)
Oooh, didn't notice that. :) The sweetspot is in the middle of the Fsmash right?

Top Bottom