• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BaganSmashBros and ko.'s Kustom Kontent - King K. Rool, Kraid and...Metal Face?!

How would you rate each project?

• (K. Rool) Kotally Awesome 5/5

Votes: 166 80.2%
  • (K. Rool) Kool 4/5

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • (K. Rool) ...ok? 3/5

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • (K. Rool) K. Rapp 2/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (K. Rool) Kek 1/5

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • (Kraid) Awesomesauce 5/5

Votes: 54 26.1%
  • (Kraid) Very good 4/5

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • (Kraid) Good 3/5

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • (Kraid) Fair 2/5

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • (Kraid) Poor 1/5

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • (Metal Face) ...SMASHING! Hah hah hah 5/5

Votes: 90 43.5%
  • (Metal Face) Acceptable 4/5

Votes: 38 18.4%
  • (Metal Face) Weak! 3/5

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • (Metal Face) Pathetic! 2/5

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • (Metal Face) Worthless! 1/5

Votes: 16 7.7%

• Total voters

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
If it comes down to it, Down B could just be him releasing a burst of electrical shocks around him. When grounded, could be useful for keeping space as it wouldn't be laggy nor does it do a tremendous amount of damage, just knockback.

Maybe have him pull out two electric pods in each hand and have their shock knock people back.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I have one done (Tropical Freeze), and I will do the others tomorrow. Are there other ones you want me to do?
Nothing related to K. Rool at least.
I don't think K. Rool should be super slow, he's actually a pretty athletic character and usually fast.
Not really possible with this model. At least not without looking ridiculous.
His walk should be slow like in DK64. His run should resemble his speed in DKC1.
How slow was his walk in 64?
If it comes down to it, Down B could just be him releasing a burst of electrical shocks around him. When grounded, could be useful for keeping space as it wouldn't be laggy nor does it do a tremendous amount of damage, just knockback.

Maybe have him pull out two electric pods in each hand and have their shock knock people back.
Unless you mean he should put those on the ground, it can be done.

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
k.rool was slow in dk 64 and mario sluggers but fast in dkc games and barrel blast. im thinking you make him have average ground speed

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
k.rool was slow in dk 64 and mario sluggers but fast in dkc games and barrel blast. im thinking you make him have average ground speed
Can be done only when running. Im limited by model in some parts, so, he either is slow, but looks natural or he is fast, but it looks like animation is too fast/short.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
I finished two of the victory themes. I did the Bonus Lose and the beginning of the Finest Hour theme (Audacity gave me way too much crap by ruining most of the files I clearly saved :glare:). I'll do more if these are good.

Here are the .wav files for you BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros , and please give me your honest opinion. If they suck or not then tell me:

Attachments

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I finished two of the victory themes. I did the Bonus Lose and the beginning of the Finest Hour theme (Audacity gave me way too much crap by ruining most of the files I clearly saved :glare:). I'll do more if these are good.

Here are the .wav files for you BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros , and please give me your honest opinion. If they suck or not then tell me:
Bonus Lose is fine, but Finest Hour is not. Audio quality is just bad.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Sorry I've been gone for a while BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros !

I've been checking in occasionally and I just saw that you were working on K Rool and Metal Face! I'm hyped! Awesome stuff. I'll be sure to make some "how to add _ to PM" videos once these characters are done!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'll try it again and see what I can do. Audacity is just terrible, it even corrupted the Bonus Lose MP3 I downloaded to use.

Good news. I decided to re-visit Maya again and i finally noticed that animImportExport plugin wasn't turned on even though i did so at some point while trying to make it work. So, i'll spend a lot less time on keeping feet on the ground. This applies to both K. Rool and Metal Face (who has no toes and his feet are thin and they also have heels, so, its more useful for him). But i'll be ignoring MF until K. Rool is at least playable.
Also, its possible to use SSB for 3DS animations. And coding takes a lot less time than animations. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Good news. I decided to re-visit Maya again and i finally noticed that animImportExport plugin wasn't turned on even though i did so at some point while trying to make it work. So, i'll spend a lot less time on keeping feet on the ground. This applies to both K. Rool and Metal Face (who has no toes and his feet are thin and they also have heels, so, its more useful for him). But i'll be ignoring MF until K. Rool is at least playable.
How are you able to get Maya and/or 3DS Max without spending $185 a month for each one. Autodesk's products are fantastic, but I don't want to pay that much for software I will only use for insanely specific things.

Sorry for it being off topic, but it is something I just had to ask now that you brought it up.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
How are you able to get Maya and/or 3DS Max without spending $185 a month for each one. Autodesk's products are fantastic, but I don't want to pay that much for software I will only use for insanely specific things.

Sorry for it being off topic, but it is something I just had to ask now that you brought it up.
Im not exactly...pure, you know? I don't want to pay for a whole car if all i need is one bolt from it. There are torrents for this stuff.

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
i think that bonus loss would be just fine, do you have a down b for k.rool yet? i still think it should be the ground slam

drogoth232

Smash Lord
You can just get the student version of Maya. It's not that hard. You don't even need to torrent anything and you can always download the latest Maya/Max updates from Autodesk without having to risk getting a virus or something stupid.

Seriously.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You can just get the student version of Maya. It's not that hard. You don't even need to torrent anything and you can always download the latest Maya/Max updates from Autodesk without having to risk getting a virus or something stupid.

Seriously.
Whats the difference between student version and normal Maya?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
IDK where you got that idea from, but modding is in a legal gray area. Hell, some companies even support and encourage modding (such as Skyrim).
Wikis. That and this is Brawl modding. Nintendo doesn't likes modding (and few other good things). Look at what happened to PM. Im not even talking about what happened recently. Banning people for mentioning it even if they meant Paper Mario or X:YZ PM? That means something.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Wikis. That and this is Brawl modding. Nintendo doesn't likes modding (and few other good things). Look at what happened to PM. Im not even talking about what happened recently. Banning people for mentioning it even if they meant Paper Mario or X:YZ PM? That means something.
You've got a lot to learn.
What happened to PM had nothing to do with it.
Back to scheduled program of things pls

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
The fact that Rockstar publisher, Take 2, sent detectives to a modder's house to intimidate him tells us something.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The fact that Rockstar publisher, Take 2, sent detectives to a modder's house to intimidate him tells us something.
...its a good thing i live in the middle of no-f***ing-where.
You've got a lot to learn.
What happened to PM had nothing to do with it.
Back to scheduled program of things pls
Not the last thing about them and yes, back to scheduled program of things.

...f***, i've got nothing related to K. Rool to show outside of updated textures and updated running animation.
Animation10.gif

Still think its missing something. Used Zangief's running animation as a base, then made him swing his arms less. He kinda shakes here, but its not noticable when whole screen shakes with each step (and it sounds like something big is coming after ye). Yeah, screen didn't shake when he was running in DKC, but if Bowser can do it while simply walking, then why not K. Rool, who is bigger and actually fat?

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
i think it might be his neck or chest. When i look at this image of k.rool

your k.rool has a much longer neck and his torso seems to be much boxier i guess compared to this one. Also im just going to get a few nitpicks out of my head right now
the jewel on his chest could be slightly bigger
the cape could be a bit taller
those rings around the legs should be gone
and his mouth or lips should be thicker and less curved
heres another cool image i found for costumes if you dont want to make a pirate, boxer, scientist ect

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
I'd prefer at least one for two color pallete swaps reserved for a Kaptain and Baron costume. But whether or not it's going to take more time I don't know.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Only major gripe is that the arms seem too big overall. Otherwise this is a great start, just needs to be more loose and fluid

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
i think it might be his neck or chest. When i look at this image of k.rool

your k.rool has a much longer neck and his torso seems to be much boxier i guess compared to this one. Also im just going to get a few nitpicks out of my head right now
the jewel on his chest could be slightly bigger
the cape could be a bit taller
those rings around the legs should be gone
and his mouth or lips should be thicker and less curved
heres another cool image i found for costumes if you dont want to make a pirate, boxer, scientist ect
You're compating different designs. K. Rool on image is mostly Nintendo's design. Our K. Rool is mostly using Rare's design.

2 different things. Our K. Rool is more top-heavy, but still.
And those recolors could work except things like crown should remain gold.
Animation feels stiff and robotic.
Does this looks better:
Animation11.gif

Yeah, i didn't really make this (but its not present in PM in any way), but i don't like making looping animations with character walking or running in them and i always fail at them. If this is better, i'll use this. If it isn't, i'll use previous animation.
Only major gripe is that the arms seem too big overall. Otherwise this is a great start, just needs to be more loose and fluid
After looking at original design more, yeah, they are too big. But i think its more because of shoulders than arms themselves.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
The new animation closer represents the classic run cycle of DKC, I like it! Maybe some tweaks here and there but it's on the right direction. Anyway to get the cape to flow in the wind? I remember talks about rigging it to match Ganon's?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The new animation closer represents the classic run cycle of DKC, I like it! Maybe some tweaks here and there but it's on the right direction. Anyway to get the cape to flow in the wind? I remember talks about rigging it to match Ganon's?
It already flows in the wind. Its just not possible to see outside of game itself.
I'm digging these recolors. Where did you find these pics?
Missed this post. Its from Smashboards' K. Rool thread.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
It looks fine when playing a serious match, as you don't really focus on what the hell your character's running animation is. With a few more tweaks it will be good enough in general.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
idk, but animation doesn't seem to fit KRool imo. Maybe add some more tweaks to it, but it's easier to add your own details when you make it from scratch.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
You'll never make good animations with that attitude.

Look at videos of people walking and running. Look up videos of how crocodiles move. Look up videos of how KRool runs. Download the video and slow it down frame by frame, see what moves and how it moves. Look up other walking and running cycles and study them.

You need to actually try if you want to get good.
Maya is a powerful tool for animating, but unless you're willing to study and actually use the tools it's useless. Trust me, my animations were literally garbage when I started using Maya.

When using any animating tool, the first try will never be good. Neither will the second or third. I wish I could tell you how many revisions I made to my animations before I submitted it to the PMDT, and even then there were things that stuck out and were really bad and unnatural.

Put in the effort, practice, and you'll see results. Otherwise, you won't get very far. Trust me.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You'll never make good animations with that attitude.

Look at videos of people walking and running. Look up videos of how crocodiles move. Look up videos of how KRool runs. Download the video and slow it down frame by frame, see what moves and how it moves. Look up other walking and running cycles and study them.

You need to actually try if you want to get good.
Maya is a powerful tool for animating, but unless you're willing to study and actually use the tools it's useless. Trust me, my animations were literally garbage when I started using Maya.

When using any animating tool, the first try will never be good. Neither will the second or third. I wish I could tell you how many revisions I made to my animations before I submitted it to the PMDT, and even then there were things that stuck out and were really bad and unnatural.

Put in the effort, practice, and you'll see results. Otherwise, you won't get very far. Trust me.
I don't think videos of crocodiles moving would help when dealing with a guy who barely looks like one, but i'll try. I'll effort. I'll be the very best.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
I suggest studying the DK64 running cycle, try mixing that with his run cycle in DKC 1. Whatever you feel is right.

Top Bottom