• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bair inconsistent

Allbrex

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I figured I'd mention it. I have an issue when occasionally trying to start a string of Bair's (or after having having started a couple)where Toon Link will just jump slightly backwards instead and won't Bair, he'll just jump. Drives me nuts b/c it kills my combos and obviously leaves me just hanging there asking to die. Things to mention: I use the A button to jump, and I use the C-stick for aerials for better control. Also I'm pretty good, working to play at some tournaments here in TX so I have a pretty good understanding of Toon Link, this is the only issue I've had with him, thoughts?

2nLio

Smash Journeyman
The c stick is just dumb :\

if you can, try getting used to doing the back airs with the attack button (whatever you have it set to) cuz otherwise you'll randomly end up getting screwed over...

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
This actually happens to me too.

I think it's that if you press the C-stick left or right at the same time you jump, it'll be a left or right jump.
Which is ********.

But it's not really as much of a "Toon Link problem" as a faulty game mechanic.

Allbrex

Smash Apprentice
This actually happens to me too.

I think it's that if you press the C-stick left or right at the same time you jump, it'll be a left or right jump.
Which is ********.

But it's not really as much of a "Toon Link problem" as a faulty game mechanic.
Yea I wondered if that was the case too. At the same time I've noticed that it rarely happens when I Bair towards the right, but happens about a good 25-30% of the time when going to the left. I can use the regular attack button to Bair and I've considered doing it, but I've found you can land more of them if you use the c-stick b/c you can Bair while going forward or backwards (which helps depending on how close the opponent is).

I'm open to suggestions on controller schemes if need be, does everyone else here use the regular attack to Bair instead of the c-stick?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I know for a fact that if you hit the C-stick and jump at a specific time (it's not at exactly the same time) it will some how register as a jump in the direction that you hit C-stick. I know this for a fact because I stumbled upon it and thought it was funny so now I can do it consistently XD. It was a while ago though, but from memory you jump then hit the C-stick sort of in between a jump cancel and the soonest you can use an aerial.

My advice? Well if you really don't want to give up the C-stick for using aerials, you could always learn the exact timing that this occours then avoid it, like I did. Or you could limit the amount of C-stick aerials you use and cut out using them when you need to do an aerial right after a jump.

DCStyle

Smash Apprentice
If you're trying to string and you're already facing that way, just use the attack button and hold the directional...doesn't it make more sense?

Only time I'd use the c-stick to bair is if I'm moving forwards.

Allbrex

Smash Apprentice
I know for a fact that if you hit the C-stick and jump at a specific time (it's not at exactly the same time) it will some how register as a jump in the direction that you hit C-stick. I know this for a fact because I stumbled upon it and thought it was funny so now I can do it consistently XD. It was a while ago though, but from memory you jump then hit the C-stick sort of in between a jump cancel and the soonest you can use an aerial.

My advice? Well if you really don't want to give up the C-stick for using aerials, you could always learn the exact timing that this occours then avoid it, like I did. Or you could limit the amount of C-stick aerials you use and cut out using them when you need to do an aerial right after a jump.
Yea I was trying to learn the timing, which is tough to get since it's so particular. If using a regular attack for Bair worked the same I'd just do that, but in my experiences with varying spacing I've had more success using c-stick. I figured a lot of Toon Linkers used it since I've seen it on a good amount of videos where it's being used. If others have had this prob too and just fixed it by practicing the timing then I'll just work with that. Glad to know it's not my controller :dizzy:

Hyro

Smash Lord
Yeah, pretty gay. When you buffer an aerial with the cstick before you leave the ground, it will jump instead. You have to jump, wait, then bair.

Doing it that way will make it so you're not buffering an immediate bair. The best way to bair combo is this.

Jump and A for your first bair so that it comes out on the earliest frame possible, while in the air, press cstick back and fast fall when you see your bair come out. As soon as you hit the ground, press Back and A again because it autocancels. You'll jump up in the air and bair (and since you're always using A for the first bair, you'll never have that stupid jump glitch). Fast falling the second bair just makes it a lot faster and gives you true combos. You're still using the cstick for the second bair because you want to follow their DI.

Ashraf23

Smash Apprentice
The c stick is just dumb :\

if you can, try getting used to doing the back airs with the attack button (whatever you have it set to) cuz otherwise you'll randomly end up getting screwed over...
Why would you recommend the attack button over c-stick? C-stick is quicker imo. Sometimes the c-stick can get messed up in the controller ports though, like it just doesn't work for some reason, other then that it's faster and easier to get used to imo.

It could also be a controller issue

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Well if you use X/Y to jump, I think it's quicker to reach the A button than the C-stick, which is why H_R says to use it on the second Bair

Top Bottom