• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bair never lands on aerial high level CPUs?

Polo

Smash Cadet
So I have been doing many matches against computers (level 8 & 9s) with Mewtwo. I could never seem to land any Bairs on aerial computers; they would just air dodge it every single time. I was having no problems with landing Nair, Fair, Uair, Dair... just with Bair. I could hit grounded opponents with it, but if they were ever in the air they would air dodge it every single time, or so it felt. I have no problem landing Bairs on humans so it seemed a bit weird that computers were repeatedly air dodging my Bairs every single time, without fail.

Wondering if it was just my imagination, or if I was missing something, I went into training mode and tested trying to hit Bairs against aerial level 8s and 9s. First I tested it against Diddy, I must have been there for a good 10 minutes trying to land a single Bair while the CPU was in the air but it would air dodge each time. I was easily able to land all my other aerials, it was just Bair that would never seem to land. Next I tried against Bowser, and after many failed attempts I landed one Bair, but only by hitting him the split second after he had finished a previous air dodge, so it would have been impossible for the CPU to air dodge then anyway. All my other attempts resulted in the computer perfectly timing their air dodge each time.

I then lowered the CPU to level 3 and had absolutely no problem landing Bairs against it in the air, so it only seems to be with high level computers. If Mewtwo's Bair is truly a dud move against high level CPUs then that is pretty frustrating. I know computers can get a bit haxxy with their prediction skills, but this just seems ridiculous... anyone else having this problem, or am I missing something obvious here?

Last edited:

Red-Ruby

Smash Cadet
Well what might help, it using it right after the jumping momentum that shoots you up, that at least helps for me. I honestly have no problems at all with using my bair.

D

Deleted member

CPUs read you inputs and react accordingly.
Pretty much. Level 8+9 CPUs react to your inputs in a fraction of a second. Landing an aerial move of any kind is a challenge against them.

Polo

Smash Cadet
I know that CPUs read your inputs, but with my other characters landing aerial attacks against high level CPUs is usually not too bad (apart from the occasional ridiculous prediction). It's not that I have trouble defeating level 9 CPUs, in fact I feel like they are easier than in Brawl (or maybe I have just improved a bit) and perfect shield less often then they used to. It just seems to be with this specific move of Mewtwo's - I was wondering if it was just a problem with that move and if anyone else had tested it against level 9 computers, as it seemed to be dodged 100% of the time, instead of the 40, 50, 60% of most other aerials.

I imagine the real explanation is that I am probably just using it badly, or not really playing well with Mewtwo yet as it's only the second day of release. @ Red-Ruby Red-Ruby I like to use the momentum from double jump as well, but perhaps I am just throwing out the Bair too early or something. Thanks for the responses, I'll go back to trying to land Bairs now :b:

EDIT: As an update, I haven't had any issues landing Bairs on CPUs since I posted this. Guess I was just getting unlucky/not using the move as well as I could've been. Thanks again to those who responded, case closed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom