• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Public Preview *GENESIS UPDATE*

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Dedede really needs some extra compensation. I remember seeing somewhere that D3's chain throw was actually an intentional addition by Nintendo and was even explain in some sort of video on youtube that was endorsed by the company, but it was a long time ago...

Tech chasing simply won't cut it. I know it's practically impossible to re-add the chaingrab without the deathgrab, so removing it all together is the only option. IMO Dedede should get a tiny frame rate increase on his Waddle Dee throw akin to that of Luigi's fireballs. Although it definately won't fully compensate for the chaingrab, I think giving Dedede a little bit of camping possibilities will balance out the game a tad more. Plus, this will help him slightly against ICs.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
That sucks. That took a good chunk of his meta-game away.

How about giving Yoshi real OoS options? I mean, it's nice how much you buffed him and stuff, but grabs were pretty central to Yoshi and you guys took that away. OoS options would be awesome, though, and it would definitely make him more viable than he is now. :(

:069:
I don't believe you guys have responded to this yet.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
i've noticed something interesting about the wifi waiting/ training room in versus mode, even witl all items on, a;ll it produces are sandbags and stickers XD

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
It doesn't work like that. Say u added 2 different snapshots. 1 brawl+ and 1 bbrawl. Since bbrawl was the newest one added to the sd card both snapshots are now bbrawl. If u delete the bbrawl snapshot the brawl+ snapshot will go back to loading the brawl+ codeset. Resetting the game does not change this. Snapshots for some reason override existing snapshots but then go back when the newest one is deleted. I have no idea why or how to change this.
that happens when you name the two snapshots the same thing...

jalued

Smash Lord
just to say, ur sheik changes. yeah u have removed the ftilt lock, but u have given her NOTHING to make up for that. if ur going to make the dtilt any better it needs to have alot less cooldown. without the ftilt lock she now will be bottom tier, defiantely. at least give her a better fair so she can at least edgeguard better.

u cant say things like (make her combo better), as there are no combos in brawl that she can actually pull off.

oh and falcon still sucks cause the entire concept of falcon is that he needs to be able to combo. his main problem is lack of priority and ability to inflict damage, and without histun he will never be mid tier :(

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
umm lol let shieks downsmash have a vaccum effect? lol just throwing out random thoughts

daisho

Smash Lord
Gah... now I need to buy a wii and try this out.

Crashic... they took out the d throw chaingrab because it was stupid... that one attack made a bunch of stages illegal.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
For those complaining that dedede's gimp game was nerfed by removing the chain grab.

(6:05:43 PM) R00kie: D3 is broken in BB
(6:06:00 PM) R00kie: They gotta fix him
(6:06:20 PM) R00kie: He can do dash grab u throw and d throw to in hale suicide on anyone
(6:07:16 PM) Ryko: they cant air dodge?
(6:07:29 PM) R00kie: They'll die if they do
(6:07:47 PM) Ryko: So you're saying his gimp game is perfectly fine?
(6:07:50 PM) R00kie: The throw puts them maaad low off stage
(6:07:59 PM) R00kie: His gimp game is better
(6:08:04 PM) Ryko: because people are *****ing that his gimp game is bad, people who havent played
(6:08:25 PM) R00kie: No it just got worse for others
(6:08:33 PM) R00kie: DDD is broken
(6:08:40 PM) R00kie: You might as well copy paste this convo
(6:08:49 PM) R00kie: And have people read it
(6:08:50 PM) Ryko: Yeah i'm gonna
The real problem is that you're theory crafting instead of actually playing it and figuring out what the actual case is.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
that happens when you name the two snapshots the same thing...
No it don't i've named them different names and they still overwrote each other.

For those complaining that dedede's gimp game was nerfed by removing the chain grab.

The real problem is that you're theory crafting instead of actually playing it and figuring out what the actual case is.
So because one person agrees with you thats it? I don't play ddd but if the ddd mains are complaining then something is wrong.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
And yet every other problem I have brought up with D3 still remains.
Marth just stays in the middle of the stage and we can't do anything to stop him. We will still have 15 bad matchups against people we can't approach, can't outcamp, can't manipulate their stage location without the chain grab, and can't have a reliable way to rack up damage.

they took out the d throw chaingrab because it was stupid
This sums up the real reason why DDDs chain grab was taken out.

Offer me one reason why DDD (nonstanding) chaingrab ruined balance, and not the characters initial weakness with the chaingrab on top of it to exploit their weaknesses.

that one attack made a bunch of stages illegal.
No.
Shadow Mosses Isle would be banned without locks and without chain grabs because of the lack of horzontal killing ability for characters that can not kill vertically.
Walk Offs are always a problem, with or without locks and chain grabs. Try again.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Thinkaman's quote method is a much better one than how I was replying last night. I'm also far less exhausted so hopefully my response quality will be top notch.

I'm already very interested and I look forward to testing this build out. Just a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to DLC any future balances if necessary?
2. Is planking removed? Were you, or could you, significantly reduce the invincibility frames to anyone attempting to hang on the ledge?
Updates are planned. As soon as the "dust settles" we're going to have a true version 1 (this is like a pre-version open to public input, though don't think it's unpolished because of it!).

We wanted to add in a hardcoded ledgegrab limit similar to Ike's Aether, but our coding limitations prevented this.

Also, did you know that Ike can go under battlefield from the ledge and recover to the other side?
We know Ike can do all of this stuff. Most of the cast can do this sort of thing though.

feedback on pikachu

without his grab game and no buffs it really really hurts him. since he cant combo out of most of his grabs at the lower percents this makes things harder when it comes time for killing imo. cause now it ends up forcing more use of kill moves early on for damage purposes, to the point where pika wont be killing till much later(albeit pika killing is one of his main weakness). and not being able to chase f-throw hurts alot period.

idk maybe its just me but i dont remeber to many people complaining about his f-throw CG in the first place
Like we've said, we want to see how this Pikachu performs, and we're defintely attuned to the potential future need for further tweaks to him. His uthrow and dthrow are not true combo moves, but they do have some good follow ups that are hard to avoid (in certain matchups, stale dthrow to utilt IS a true combo). Also, bthrow to Thunder on walk-offs is amazing, and we have to factor in what Pikachu gains from a new stage list...

Do not think the Pikachu concerns are going unnoticed. The purpose of a release such as this is to get good public data so we really know what needs to be done.

Something I just thought of: when you changed Link & Metaknight's B attacks, did you also change the versions Kirby copies?
Limitations in the data gathering mechanisms for hitbox data prevent us from getting two types of data (data we absolutely need to implement changes). One of those types is stage hazard data. The other type is Kirby copy power data. We would GREATLY appreciate any coder who finds the resolution to these issues, and do know that the fact that they weren't changed was a limitation, not an oversight.

If this was really ONLY about balance, you wouldn't have done such a thing. No, this is your own personal version of Brawl.
Personal attacks are below the level of discourse we should expect in this topic and on SWF in general. To be very blunt, you obviously are not going to be possible to satisfy. I really disagree with your assessments of high level gameplay on a variety of levels, but arguing further is fruitless. In any project, one can't expect 100% approval. I suppose you're just doomed to dislike this. If you don't intend to play the game (which is your personal choice), I'd ask that you please stop.

If you wanna do ZSS any favors, you won't change much. SHe's a balanced-or-better character that goes even-ish against 90% of the cast and needs very little in the way of changes:

- Jab combo needs to connect. This is a design flaw, just like dsmash gains or infinite grab combos. Change the angle of the second jab so that it sends the opponent upwards just enough to get them off the ground.

- Grab is hard to deal with. I wouldn't want to see you mess with the grab lag much because it's a weakness that makes sense, but what you should do is increase the stun time on Paralyzer Shot a little bit so that the baby hitbox (uncharged shot) means a guaranteed grab.

That's it. Change nothing else. If you must change Fsmash, make it trip or something. We have no guaranteed jab locks or anything, so that would be fine.
I agree with the sentiment that ZSS doesn't need much help. I am adamant that fsmash is a good move for her, but maybe this is just a communication issue. It's a good move in the sense that it has utility in some specific situations where previously she would have had to fudge and use moves like side-B (also, note that using fsmash instead of side-B in general lets you not stale side-B). I'm not saying it's a game changer; ZSS doesn't need a game changer. The jab combo was omitted intentionally for an initial release just because ZSS's frame 1 jab is already an amazing defensive maneuver, and making it lead into a lot more damage might be too much for an already high leaning and underutilized character like ZSS (her lack of use means she's probably rated a bit below her true worth).

As per Paralyzer Shot, hmm. The stun mechanics on it are mysterious and research would be required to figure out how to do such a thing (if possible). However, if ZSS demonstrates herself as needing further help, this would be a logical avenue to pursue.

Yes, isn't it amazing?

I kid, I kid.

Honestly, DDD's techchasing seems pretty usable. He's certainly not as good as he was before (which was partially the objective since he IS better then Diddy in Vbrawl), but he seems to still have a useful techchassing game.

That's my impression from the the limited playtesting I did with him.

Other impressions. Ganondorf's quake is too slow to really be useful.

Water essentially is a blastzone over 90, honestly, I'd just make it auto-drown period, (therefore making the stages in question completely nerf recoveries and be better for power characters) or make you able to last a reasonable time at any percent.
Do note that his techchasing game applies to the whole cast while his cg game did not (his dthrow in general was almost useless against some characters like Mr. Game & Watch). I don't feel he's nerfed overall, though it's hard to say.

Ganondorf's "Murder Quake" actually HITS really fast; it just has horrible recovery time. It is definitely something to be seldom used, but the fact that he has the ability to hit at that speed means he has some protection from certain kinds of pressure. In other words, it's something you only use once in a while but are glad to have.

As per the water, we're really limited in terms of implementaton. If I had my way, water would be percentage independent and act like it does in this version of the game at about 40% always. We just don't have the code resources to do that though, as always, any competent coder who happens to read this could do us a great service. Auto-drowning would not really be a good idea though possible since the water is so close to some sections of Delfino and it would generally be really dumb on Jungle Japes.

I do want everyone to understand how few choices we have here. With the current codeset, we have basically two options. We could go back to standard Brawl water mechanics, which would require the Pirate Ship to be banned, or we could do what we have now. A middle ground is simply not possible with the current codeset. It might (and I stress might) be possible to extend the time you have to jump out at arbitrarily high percentages (like make it a 5 frame window instead of 1 frame at 90%+), but that's not good either. That basically re-introduces water stalling; the design idea here is that, once you hit the water, you should have two options. You can return to the stage, or you can die. Just hanging out in the water should be a non-option. Sadly, we can't quite get this since we either need to mostly remove the first option at high damage (you really don't return to the stage when you hit the water at 90%+) or leave the last option in (hanging out in the water, gamebreaking on the Pirate Ship in standard Brawl). It's hard, and I think we can agree that a coder in shining armor would be lovely. In the meantime though, I do strongly feel our changes are more positive than negative and thus justified to include... even if not without their own problems.

Also, there's no basis to believe any character drowns more often than others. I've simply seen no evidence of this, and until someone provides some, I'm going to assume it's not true. I have no idea where this claim originated, but my experiences and non-scientific testing do not suggest it's true.

I tried out the new knee and it kills Mario at 53% if he doesn't DI from the middle of FD. His Utilt kills at about 100% too. CF is scary now. Maybe you should tone down the knee a little since it's stronger than a fully charged giant punch now. His up b doing 22 damage is nice but I always found it weird how his up b is stronger and does more damage than Ganon's. With Ganon's new shoryuken I don't really care about that anymore though.

I love the new wizkick with Ganon. It is finally safe on hit at low damage and actually has knockback. The pitfall mechanic and new Dtilt is also very nice. The new shoryuken on his up b is also very fitting. I approve of the new King of Evil. You can still attack Ganon out of his up b grab though. I think the only way to fix it is to make the last hit have a fixed amount of knockback. Just enough so that Jiggs won't go into tumble so that no character can attack out of tumble hitstun. If you can't change the knockback you could make it do more damage and send at a semi-spike angle to make attacking him more difficult.

In response to Thinkaman's answer about his Dtilt being a "slip" move I don't think it is working as you intended. You say it can double trip but no matter how I try, after the first trip they won't trip a second time until after they roll/get up. In fact it just makes them get up instead. I'm just putting this out there since you say you have to adjust the frames to get rid of a trip lock. You probably don't need to do that judging from the small amount of time I put into trying it out.
Thank you for taking the time to do some testing. We appreciate it.

Do note that the main improvement to both utilt and knee is a lower angle. Without DI it kills substantially lower, but now those moves are more susceptible to DI. I think you'll find the difference less drastic if you compare it to other moves post-DI, and the practical effect for knee that I've seen so far is that knee offstage is a lot better while knee onstage is about the same (still good but only normal among kill moves).

Our testing with his up special suggests that it can only be hit back by a select few moves at select times. Notably, in exactly one case, a Meta Knight was able to dair Ganondorf (barely) after it. We definitely couldn't reproduce it with non-disjointed attacks, but the mechanics are still a bit mysterious in terms of how our change affected things. If you can go into more specifics on what situations you find it possible to hit back and those turn out to be such that hitting with the move is still generally bad, we definitely explore other avenues to prevent it. We understand the importance to Ganondorf's mediocre regardless recovery of this being safe on hit.

Thinkaman didn't really get into the trip mechanics; allow me. We implemented a global change for tripping. When you are in the tripped on the ground state, any move that would inflict a trip on you instead causes you to do your get up from trip animation (which is pretty fast and generally safe to do in such a situation). This removes banana locks and prevents Captain Falcon and Ganondorf from having trivial infinites by just spamming down tilt. However, you can still trip the opponent at other times. You can trip during the initial trip animation (which is the mechanic by which Luigi's dash attack works; attacks under 39 frames apart [40 for C.Falcon as the victim] that both trip will cause a double trip), and you can punish the response to a trip with a trip (like, you could techchase a trip, hit the trip roll with Ganon's dtilt, and trip them again). Only as long as they are actually sitting on the ground can you not trip them again; them doing anything lets you trip them again.

I mean, really; You want to be conservative with buffs, and here you have some of the most highly respected ZSS mains (seriously, I didn't even know who Holms was until you mentioned him) telling you not to give us a particular buff, and your response is, "nah, I think we'll keep it"? Explain this anomaly.
Just because you don't know someone (and he generally doesn't post on the boards) doesn't know he's good. We did our internal testing largely with the KS and MO smash scenes, Holms being one of those players. Players here aren't generally well known outside of the region; we're just too far away to travel to east coast tournaments and even Texas ones are the "once a year" type of trip. It doesn't mean the region is weak though, and I wouldn't use a video of Holms losing badly to UTD Zach (who is extremely good, one of the top G&Ws) as much of a sign of him being bad [youtube videos are always isolated incidents anyway, seldom indicative of quality].

This is a long way of saying that just because you haven't heard of players doesn't mean you can discount them. You're just dealing with players from out of your region is all.

Also, a fully spaced fsmash is not unsafe on block. I'm just throwing that out there.

I don't believe you guys have responded to this yet.

Sorry, I'll get right on addressing it.

Yoshi still has any follow ups out of THROWS that he had before (like, chasing people after fthrow is the same as always), just not grab release. We did make his pummel stronger. Honestly, the very first thing we agreed we wanted to do with Yoshi was buff his throws so he does get more out grabs (for the reasons you are saying really), but the codes just aren't there.

i've noticed something interesting about the wifi waiting/ training room in versus mode, even witl all items on, a;ll it produces are sandbags and stickers XD
It's not a bug. It's a feature! We knew about this; we just didn't think it was a big deal. Likewise, if you are on this stage in training mode (needs the optional custom stage select screen code, which causes instability with replay previews), you can only forcibly spawn Smashballs and Dragoon Parts on it; the game won't let you spawn any other items. It probably is all caused by the stage having no item spawn points.

just to say, ur sheik changes. yeah u have removed the ftilt lock, but u have given her NOTHING to make up for that. if ur going to make the dtilt any better it needs to have alot less cooldown. without the ftilt lock she now will be bottom tier, defiantely. at least give her a better fair so she can at least edgeguard better.

u cant say things like (make her combo better), as there are no combos in brawl that she can actually pull off.

oh and falcon still sucks cause the entire concept of falcon is that he needs to be able to combo. his main problem is lack of priority and ability to inflict damage, and without histun he will never be mid tier :(
For one, don't think of "Sheik". "Sheik" is not a character we balanced. Do think of the character "Zelda & Sheik". The two are tied together, and we balanced them as a single character. That being said, we are definitely watching them, and they were a general problem for us throughout development. Dtilt is definitely non-trivial though; she can follow up on it pretty nicely especially at low damage (maybe not true combo, but that's not the end of the world). Making her better at killing (edgeguarding is a form of killing) is definitely NOT something we want to do with Sheik. Her whole design is centered around her one main kill move: switch to Zelda. We aren't going to hurt her limited other kill options like usmash and Vanish, but at the same time, we aren't going to encourage the playstyle of neglecting the other half of the character.

As per Captain Falcon, I don't think you are really in-line with his concept. His concept is being a power character who accepts low range and priority in exchange for exceptional mobility. In other smash games it happened that this led to him being a beastly combo character, but those are other smash games, and we were looking to balance Brawl Captain Falcon as himself, not as a different Captain Falcon from a different game. What I'm saying here is really just give Captain Falcon a chance, and don't be biased by previous versions of Captain Falcon and how they worked when looking at him. He doesn't combo like 64 and melee C.Falcon, and he doesn't just lose like brawl C.Falcon did in practice, but he does work like you would have expected Brawl C.Falcon to work had you just analyzed him independently and not in the context of previous smash games.

Regardless, hitstun is not changing (it's a global value anyway). It's non-negotiable; increasing it would completely defy all of our design principles. I disagree strongly that Captain Falcon can't be good with the current physics of the game, but even if that were true, it would just mean that Captain Falcon would be bad and we'd just make him as close to good as possible.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
If you don't intend to play the game (which is your personal choice), I'd ask that you please stop.
And if for some reason, this becomes the standard, which is slightly more likely than Brawl+, I have my reasons to defend the chain grab.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
No it don't i've named them different names and they still overwrote each other.

So because one person agrees with you thats it? I don't play ddd but if the ddd mains are complaining then something is wrong.
I didn't have an opinion on the chaingrab. I don't really care either way, but to say dedede does nto have setups for gimping or KOs with his new grab setup is ridiculous. In 20 seconds rookie found a freebie gimp on mediocre recoveries and in yet another 10 seconds I found a tech chase KO with the use of battlefield's platforms where the ONLY option to get out of it is to tech the down throw immediately and even then dedede can follow up with other options. Both with grab setups. Theorycrafting is silly, why not address the actual issues the current setup produces. If anything dedede's grab game got a boost due to the change in knockback and animation.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
No it's not. While this has good intentions, the reason most people are leaving Brawl is NOT because of the characters.
IT'S MOSTLY DUE TO ISSUES THAT STEM FROM THE GAME ENGINE ITSELF.

For example, even with the tornado nerfed, he could still use it to stall like crazy and the balance between offense and defense is still way off with defense still being supreme unless you are Metaknight.

Brawl + fixes issues with the game engine.

Favor. May someone please someone gather hitbox data for all of Yoshi and Snake's attacks for me?
I don't have a gecko and would really appreciate it.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Sorry, I'll get right on addressing it.

Yoshi still has any follow ups out of THROWS that he had before (like, chasing people after fthrow is the same as always), just not grab release. We did make his pummel stronger. Honestly, the very first thing we agreed we wanted to do with Yoshi was buff his throws so he does get more out grabs (for the reasons you are saying really), but the codes just aren't there.
OK, I understand that you tried your best with the throws, but that is not what I was trying to get at here. My main problem is that Yoshi doesn't have any OoS options outside of rolling and spot-dodging. He can't jump out of shield, and therefore the usefulness of his shield is greatly lessened.

Ask any Yoshi main what they want changed in Yoshi, and the first thing they'll say is "OoS options." I garauntee it. Without them, it would be almost impossible for Yoshi to become viable in this project, even with his buffs. To tell you the truth, if you got rid of all of Yoshi's other buffs (except for d-smash and Egg Roll) and replaced it with OoS options, then I'll be perfectly satisfied. In fact, OoS options should have been the game changer for Yoshi, not Egg Roll.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Walk Offs are always a problem, with or without locks and chain grabs. Try again.
This has been designed with walk-off stages legal. We recommend Onett, Mario Circuit, and Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 as plain counterpick stages and place Green Hill Zone, Bridge of Eldin, and Shadow Moses Island in Counterpick/Banned. These sort of stages are a significant factor in our balancing so yes, they are an issue.

I mostly quote here to encourage people to give them a try if they haven't already. Onett and Mario Circuit really are very tame and acceptable counterpick levels when you aren't chaingrabbing, jab locking, and such all over them, and Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 is Rainbow Cruise for grounded characters and IMO really fills a missing place in the old stage list.

No it's not. While this has good intentions, the reason most people are leaving Brawl is NOT because of the characters.
IT'S MOSTLY DUE TO ISSUES THAT STEM FROM THE GAME ENGINE ITSELF.

For example, even with the tornado nerfed, he could still use it to stall like crazy and the balance between offense and defense is still way off with defense still being supreme unless you are Metaknight.

Brawl + fixes issues with the game engine.

Favor. May someone please someone gather hitbox data for all of Yoshi and Snake's attacks for me?
I don't have a gecko and would really appreciate it.
We are not of the opinion that the general engine needs "fixing". I don't know about your region, but around here people aren't exactly fleeing Brawl regardless. I do want to be clear that our intention is to improve one of our favorite games out of a love for the game, not to change something because it overly dissatisfies us.

OK, I understand that you tried your best with the throws, but that is not what I was trying to get at here. My main problem is that Yoshi doesn't have any OoS options outside of rolling and spot-dodging. He can't jump out of shield, and therefore the usefulness of his shield is greatly lessened.

Ask any Yoshi main what they want changed in Yoshi, and the first thing they'll say is "OoS options." I garauntee it. Without them, it would be almost impossible for Yoshi to become viable in this project, even with his buffs. To tell you the truth, if you got rid of all of Yoshi's other buffs (except for d-smash and Egg Roll) and replaced it with OoS options, then I'll be perfectly satisfied. In fact, OoS options should have been the game changer for Yoshi, not Egg Roll.

This would probably be arcane to implement given how bizarre Yoshi's shield mechanics are, and his unique (even if bad) shield is IMO pretty character defining for him. If it turns out to be the only way for Yoshi, we will look into it, but we'd really like to see how the Yoshi we've put forth does first. The playtesting he's had so far has been decently positive!

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
i just tested the D3 teching system, and I was definitely wrong... the new tech chase system actually allows D3 to true combo most characters with Dtilt, Ftilt, and even (surprisingly) Dsmash. Performing Uthrow to Dtilt deals considerable damage, shows up as a true combo on the training indicator, and spaces out D3 reasonably from his opponent. The Uthrow->Dsmash follow-up can even lead to Utilt on characters with marginal Dairs, such as Mario or Ness (huge start up time).

As for sending enemies to their doom of the stage, D3's new Uthrow goes way too far down. As Ryko stated earlier, it can lead to instant inhales but I'm not sure if airdodging ensures instant death. Dthrow doesn't have this complication off ledges though.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I just want the hitbox data for ALL of Yoshi and Snake's moves so I can mess around with them for lulz and some video(s) I'm making soon.

I know most of the IDs but I don't think I can tweak it due to me not knowing the original data.

I'm using the hitbox property mod code, BTW.

In other words, I need the original Knockback gain, damage, Knockback Base, element, and angle of a move to modify it.

I can currently only mod moves that have been tweaked by the B+ builds and this preview since it has the original data for the hitbox.

I cannot find them myself since I do not have a USB Gecko.

I'm You

Smash Rookie
Sorry if it's already been asked (only checked the first few pages)
but is there a way to use both the balanced brawl and file replacement codes at the same time?
Tried using the ocarina code manager to combine them, but it says I can only create codes of 256 lines or less...

Chaco

Never Logs In
Right along with Poltergust, I need to put in my input on Yoshi.

First of all, I don't like the increased damage percentage on Utilt and Bair. Bair and Utilt is a staple at our early strings. The more percentage it adds, the worse we're off. Because instead of getting to do it like twice guaranteed we might get to do it once with a few more percentage but still the double beats it. Then, my concern is with OoS options. We desperately need them. About the only thing we can do with our shield is not get poked. Hell, Yoshi's rarely even shield because of our **** shield. Yoshi needs his shield like everyone elses, that's balanced. Nextly, the fair being game changing? Not at all. Our Fair is one of our least used moves and adding a few extra percent with DKs Side B ability isn't going to change that. Our other aerials are still tons better.

On the plus side, I love the egg roll. It puts us about even with GWs Bucket Braking now. We can finally rely on that to live a hell of a lot longer. I love that Dsmash can kill, and like the DownB buff.

I would like to see our Dair improved though. It was majorly nerfed through the series it dropped from like 56+% to 37%. Lolwut? That's gay.

Thanks for listening to my *****ing, lol. Good stuff though AA. I really hope something comes of this.

Gea

Smash Master
but is there a way to use both the balanced brawl and file replacement codes at the same time?
Tried using the ocarina code manager to combine them, but it says I can only create codes of 256 lines or less...
Yes, here is a link to my personal .gct that has camera codes, added character select screen with fixes, standard ruleset and infinite replays, textures, tags in replays, etc. I think they opted out of textures to make it as serious as possible.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/cmcwTkZ1YStRWUlLSkE9PQ

You're welcome. :)

Edit: At least I *THINK* this is it. Might wanna test it to make sure, lol.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Use the latest version of the Ocarina Code Maanager, version 1.2. It allows you to add more that 256 lines of code. Google it.

Ok, I have just done a lot of testing with Yoshi and I have a lot of feedback, I don't really like discussing this kind of thing in detail on threads like this so is there any other way I can contact you and we can discuss the changes to Yoshi?

PRiDE

Smash Lord

I am actually happy with the changes.. While having no OoS options still being a bummer, ALl I really wanted was a stronger downsmash, the ability to get out of egg roll, and a trip added to the down tilt. 2 out of 3 not bad. Yoshi is really close to being balanced now.. I really kinda like our shield....after playing with other chars, I was getting poked left and right, kinda frustrating... no OoS options is manageable, not being able to kill isnt. Which is what was fixed..

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
I find it ironic how Snake's jab is nerfed while his f-tilt is left intact (not that I see a problem with the jab nerf).

Even if you don't want to change the range or priority, the move definitely at least needs a damage nerf.

My apologies if this has been stated already.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Auroreon, feel free to PM me if the thread makes you uncomfortable. More Yoshi data is always good.

Chaco, such a change is unintentional with the aerials, and thank you for bringing it to our attention. We probably won't revert the changes though. Instead, we'll tweak the knockback properties so the aerials hit about the same way at low damage (probably still kill a bit lower at high damage for uair). That way, Yoshi gets to be more rewarding and gets to keep him with his virtues from standard Brawl (we did the same sort of thing for Jigglypuff's aerials, increased damage with knockback properties set to preserve desirable behavior). It did sound like you playtested Yoshi in general which is nice. I will comment that fair was pretty useful in our internal testing. Yoshi doesn't land it all that often (some matchups more than others), but it combos into all of his smashes or his dair so if he lands it at low damage he does something like 45% and if he lands it at high damage he can follow up with a kill. Maybe the "game changer" logo put undue emphasis on it relative to Yoshi's other changes, but just as an independent unit I feel strongly that it's decently helpful.

I'd like to in general thank the special attention Yoshi has been getting. Obviously Yoshi is a very special character, a character who will always feel "terrible" to anyone who doesn't main him. I will be the the first to confess that if my opponent knows how to get past Eggs, my Yoshi is going to get brutally three stocked (Yoshi is my single worst character!). JGALT, one of the most present testers throughout, knows the way of the Yoshi, but otherwise we didn't get much.

Chaco

Never Logs In
You can thank PR1DE for drawing it to our attention. Yoshi has a lot of flaws so we see this as an opportunity to fix these flaws and make him a more viable character.

I really need to put my icon back to Yoshi. People are starting to think I main Tink. Lol.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Our testing with his up special suggests that it can only be hit back by a select few moves at select times. Notably, in exactly one case, a Meta Knight was able to dair Ganondorf (barely) after it. We definitely couldn't reproduce it with non-disjointed attacks, but the mechanics are still a bit mysterious in terms of how our change affected things. If you can go into more specifics on what situations you find it possible to hit back and those turn out to be such that hitting with the move is still generally bad, we definitely explore other avenues to prevent it. We understand the importance to Ganondorf's mediocre regardless recovery of this being safe on hit.
Any fast aerials will still hit him. With Falco I couldn't get Dair to work which is good, but his Fair does work and drags Ganon with him. Ganon can Uair himself, DK can Uair him, Lucario can Fair him and MK is loaded with attacks that work. If you DI the attack (which is when they can attack directly out of hitstun) up and towards Ganon attacks become much easier to pull off. All they really have to do is spam the A button or c stick while DI'ing to hit him.

Someone else posted how the people who fixed it in Brawl+ handled it.

We fixed that by applying hit effect value 0F to the move. You should do the same to the swallow portion of Kirby's neutral-b, and there was one other move as well, but i cant remeber which one it was... :/

daisho

Smash Lord
If I were a yoshi main i would be so happy about the fair.

If you didn't use it before you should make it part of your game. If you get it to hit then thats a guaranteed 60% (How much does Dair do in this game?). Just use fair Dair and you will do so well. This should be your punish move because its that good. You can also kill out of it... seriously, you Yoshi mains are lucky that you have this.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Relatively? Of course not, but it doesn't change that you used a terrible example considering ike is not ground based to begin with. We space with autocanceled aerials, a large majority of our KO's are from aerials and the ground based kills are mostly due to catching someone out of a dodge, which your fsmash would serve the exact same purpose. Don't detour.
Okay, I see what you're saying. It's not really the point of my post, though. I was trying to contrast aspects of their playstyles. I see Ike players using their smashes much more than ZSS players use her fsmash. I won't speculate any more than to say that Ike's playstyle utilizes slow, powerful smashes more than ZSS's. Thus ZSS's fsmash is better suited to Ike's playstyle than ZSS's, because ZSS's doesn't rely on it at all.

Just because you don't know someone (and he generally doesn't post on the boards) doesn't know he's good. We did our internal testing largely with the KS and MO smash scenes, Holms being one of those players. Players here aren't generally well known outside of the region; we're just too far away to travel to east coast tournaments and even Texas ones are the "once a year" type of trip. It doesn't mean the region is weak though, and I wouldn't use a video of Holms losing badly to UTD Zach (who is extremely good, one of the top G&Ws) as much of a sign of him being bad [youtube videos are always isolated incidents anyway, seldom indicative of quality].

This is a long way of saying that just because you haven't heard of players doesn't mean you can discount them. You're just dealing with players from out of your region is all.
I'm just saying I have no idea where Holms sits as far as overall game knowledge and ability. I know that Adapt and SFP are very knowledgeable ZSS mains who have contributed a lot to the ZSS community. I've made contributions myself. I can attest that we know what we're talking about when it comes to ZSS. You're giving me the word of someone I've never even talked to about the game, along with your recommendation. There's not much for me to do with that. And yet you've used his word against mine, Adapt's and SFP's, three people who I know know their stuff about ZSS. I'll take his opinion into account, but giving Holms equal weight as one of us, it's still three to one saying that the fsmash buff is really not necessary.

Also, a fully spaced fsmash is not unsafe on block. I'm just throwing that out there.
Maybe not for G&W. Try it with Olimar. Or MK. Or Snake. Or Marth.

I'm pretty sure any of them can punish in 42 frames or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom