• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Public Preview *GENESIS UPDATE*

Status
Not open for further replies.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
You must have compiled the .txt version yourself. Turn off the "debug pause" and "frame advance" codes; they are off by default and when turned on replace the pause feature with a "debug pause" system that is really useful for gathering frame data... but obnoxious for general use.

Yeah I did, mainly do to the fact the mediafire link for the gct is busted.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
Sometime, somewhere, a Brawl programmer is laughing a Nintendo lawyer is laughing their *** off at the idea of someone thinking they own the rights to any bit of data in their games.

Anyways, how is ike in this game? More or less the same or actually better with the tweaks?

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Well now that I've properly messed with it. I do believe I like this over Brawl+ as I don't have to relearn everything and the people I know will actually play it.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Arrows angle is SOOO delicious for genesis version.........(like holy **** great)
I'm seeing much more usage in my game with them even from this small tweak.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Could someone explain the OP where the picture says "Minor Changes" but in the text it says "Unchanged"? Which one is it?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
why did they re-buff Snake??
Snake shouldn't really be better overall; he should just be more satisfying to use. We realized that our original version of Snake, while overall probably fair, was not really something Snake mains could have even a little bit of enthusiasm for. While Snake is still overall nerfed to a non-negligible extent for obvious reasons, hopefully this version of Snake should be more satisfying.

Arrows angle is SOOO delicious for genesis version.........(like holy **** great)
I'm seeing much more usage in my game with them even from this small tweak.
It's good to hear positive feedback over this one. The new angle should be less polarizing as well so Link versus other characters with bad recoveries already should be a little less silly.

Could someone explain the OP where the picture says "Minor Changes" but in the text it says "Unchanged"? Which one is it?
Owing to epic length, the original post is only tweaked, not completely rewritten. The overall changes are what's found in the original post's main text (the original changes) plus Thinkaman's following post (the Genesis changes from the original changes). The image was updated, however.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Hmn, it's possible to alter the damage of throws, correct?

If so, think bowser's throws (specifically Uthrow, since it leads to NOTHING) could get some damage tweaking in response to losing his grab release game. This way he could still have a scary grab game at least, just not through grab Release...

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
IMO, you should give everyone SOME new tricks, not necessarily major ones, but little things to make everyone's mains interested in it.

Thank you, adumbrodeus. I'm sure Amazing Ampharos will swap out the texts when he returns and we can all have our "picnic" together.
NP, I find no-fault solutions are generally the best when it comes to conflict resolution.

why did they re-buff Snake??
Because they made his uptilt useless before. Without DI it killed at like 200.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
He(she?) has yet to change the names of the codes.
At Genesis I think, that's why it's "gets back", not "gets on". Turns out the venue doesn't have internet access, so his ability to use the internet is limited right now. Might be on a bit, but now's probably not the time to make administrative changes.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I usually just lurk IRC and pop in the conversation when I think I have something to add :p

EDIT: I should aim for getting an SD card tomorrow so I can be useful here.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Personally I don't think brawl is unbalanced to the extent that it needs to be hacked. Sure high tier characters like Meta Knight are good, but they're not unbeatable. Heck, most of his match-ups are near even. I feel people should wake up from this Balanced Brawl and Brawl + dream world and just play brawl how it was meant to be played.

Also I don't get why you took out chain-grabs and yet made it easier to combo.
Yeah. You don't know your stuff. It almost seems troll like (not going to flame).

We all played Brawl how it was meant to be (for quite a while too). Those of Brawl+ didn't like that at all and those of BBrawl wanted it to just be better balanced.

Why would either go back to what they don't enjoy?

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
hmm cool a genesis update, gotta try this now and see the changes that have been made
peach/shiek/zelda are my first testers

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
How am I just now hearing about this? Balanced Brawl is absolutely AWESOME, and I hope it catches on so we can see a bunch of BB tournaments!

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to report a bug I had earlier today with balanced brawl.

Earlier today I tried playing Balanced brawl on a stage I had inserted custom music into. When the brawl began, none of the characters appeared, but the game treated them as if they were dead and went through with the standard dieing animation (big burst of light, the character groaning, and a stock loss). To top that off, the music I had also became super screechy and glitchy. I tried playing on a stage that I hadn't inserted any music into and it worked fine, so I'm pretty sure my custom music was causing the bug.

I'm not even sure if you guys are interested in making custom music compatible with Balanced brawl, but I thought I might as well report the problem.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Damn it... I'm getting an error that there's too many codes. I copied the GCT file directly, but it's giving me the error anyway. :ohwell:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
We are definitely going to want to make sure the next version (which WILL be the standard version) is compatible with the latest File Replacement (or whatever Phantom Wings is calling it now) code, but at this time we're not very sure about it in general. Hopefully more detailed information will be developed about the nuances of its code interaction so everything can work out.

By the way, integrating throw mods into this is proving a pretty awesome endeavor. Glitchy looking throws on Falco, King Dedede, and Pikachu are gone, in general CGs are much more fair where they remain (Bowser players rejoice), and it may be just what a certain Captain was always looking for. As of right now, our project is finally bringing ICs up to the design standard the rest of this project holds...

The list of throw changes we have planned isn't particularly short right now; look forward to it. A preview of an example is that we are going to make Kirby's Copy do 10% (same damage as spitting them out) and be safe on hit so, unless you actually are getting a positional advantage from spitting them out, there's no disadvantage to taking a power. It also means we can finally buff Egg Lay, though admittedly it's only a slight buff we can give it (more damage)...

Sir Orion, do you have the gameconfig.txt file in the root of the SD card, and are you using Gecko 1.9.1? Using an old version of gecko or missing the gameconfig.txt file are the two most common causes of that issue.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Sir Orion, do you have the gameconfig.txt file in the root of the SD card, and are you using Gecko 1.9.1? Using an old version of gecko or missing the gameconfig.txt file are the two most common causes of that issue.
I'm using 1.9.1, but I didn't have the Gameconfig.txt in the SD card root. I'll try that.

Edit: That did the trick. Thanks! (And sorry for the stupid question.)

Edit 2: Wow, I just put BB through its paces, and I love it even MORE now.

There would be times when I thought "Man, this is going to be under/overpowered," but it was just right.

Like for instance, I thought Jigglypuff's forward smash should be buffed again, but then I realized just how potent her dash is now and how much damage she racks up.

And Ganon, I thought he was going to be ridiculously overpowered. Well, he's not. He's still a slow, old, wrinkly tub of guts... just a DANGEROUS slow, old, wrinkly tub of guts. :laugh:

TreK

Is "that guy"
I was going to ask the same thing about the "too much lines" error "^^
Will edit to say if it worked :p
It worked, yay ^_^

zxeon

Smash Lord
The font looks funny and you are missing the credits and proper names on some of the codes, but I can dig it. Make sure you get the proper names and credit for them.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Hey guys, quick question I was using my texture hacks previous to this and they were fine. However, I've been having trouble with BBrawl running and having the Textures in as well. Any ideas? Please send in PM.

Ignore me!

So yeah, just had to update phantom wings... /lolimanub.

Also, have you ever thought that maybe if you made it so Falco's lasers didn't auto-cancel they wouldn't be so OP and he wouldn't be so spammy?

TreK

Is "that guy"
What makes falco top tier is his chaingrab, not his lazers.
And it would be against this project's rule :p

RockXero77

Smash Cadet
Don't change temple, please!
also, can't u make FD's ledges better, wolf can't recover worth a crap there.

zxeon

Smash Lord
Would it kill you to credit Brawl+ in your first post? You know right under (or above) the huge "Designed by Amazing Ampharos and Thinkaman". Brawl+ isn't mentioned once in AA or Think's huge posts.

It would only be polite to acknowledge not only the coders but also the people with the vision to develop these codes you are using. Because without Brawl+ these codes wouldn't exist.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Brawl+ has absolutely nothing to be credited for. The coders deserve all the credit, and even mentioning Brawl+ really has no place in the first post.

Quit yer trollin'.

zxeon

Smash Lord
We asked them to make the codes they didn't just happen.

Level Freezer[Phantom Wings/Almas, 9 Lines] (Stage Specific Speed Reduction)

Death Boundary Mod V2[spunit262] (Death zone mod engine)

Char ID fix 2.1 [spunit262, The Paprika Killer] (Character fix)

Hitbox Property Mod Engine 2.0 [Phantom Wings, spunit262. Paprika Killer] (Hitbox mod engine)

Frame Speed Mod Engine V3.1 [spunit262, Phantom Wings]

Conditional Action Modifier [The Paprika Killer, Almas]

All those codes were by coders working with the the Brawl+ project. I would know I was around when all those codes were made and beta tested all of them. I'm not trolling either I'm serious about this.

D

Deleted member

1. zxeon, shut up. you will get reported if you continue.

2. in the agreement we (the WBR) made wil AA and thinkaman, we decided the projects should not credit each other.

zxeon

Smash Lord
1. Continue what?

2. Well that's great for them isn't it? They get to use other people's hard work and act like they own.

3. Shouldn't this have been done though a PM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom