• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Public Preview *GENESIS UPDATE*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
We are not using project SA in the near future. It's an amazing program, but it's not necessary for the scope of our project. It has some other disadvantages too that we aren't too keen on adapting (telling users they need over 40 files in correct directory structure on their SD to play your game doesn't sound like a good idea). We're still keeping track of it though; you never know what the future will hold.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
So, I've been in love with this project ever since the start - despite having never played it. :p

I still wanted to support you guys in one way or another, so I've come up with this:

Hopefully it'll stir up attention if people would like to put it in their signatures.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
By the way, did anyone mention Snake's D-throw yet? I mean seriously, that move is insanely broken.

There are several characters that can essentially get "infinited" rather easily by that throw since their getups can all be punished on reaction. At least 11 characters from what I heard.

Aside from that, it's still insanely broken. I mean come on, it does 12%. Say Snake gets a grab. 1 pummel, then he D-throws. Then he regrabs, does two pummels, D-throws again. Then he F-tilts. That does almost 51% (accounting for F-tilt decrease in damage of course). Something like that...is just seriously wrong. Even if his U-tilt was weakened, that's still a half of some characters stocks, or a third of the stock of heavier ones.

I mean come on, it's a fair bit harder for G&W (although still completely viable) to techchase regrab for only 6% a throw. And G&W's pummel is slower. And then there is the plethora of other throws in this game that don't have any guaranteed setups that also do half the damage of Snake's D-throw. It just isn't right...especially since it outdamages his other throws.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
when i asked AA about changing the dthrow, he told me you cannot edit the snake dthrow to make it techable (idk about project SA, but that's irrelevant right now)

which would have been my solution

i guess you could lower the damage to even it out but it'll still be just as easy for snake to read the get up options and doesn't really fix the problem of "infinites"

Linkshot

Smash Hero
From a realistic point of view, there should be no damage on dThrow, and more damage on the pummel to even it out.

Snake's dThrow puts opponents into a special position. With 0% damage on it, he can only use it to control instead of dealing damage.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
You can only continuously catch people with it if you correctly predict their actions, right? So... what's wrong with how it is? I understand wanting a small damage reduction, but even the pros can't predict their enemies' movements 100% of the time. Or am I missing something?

MysticKenji

Smash Master
I still wanted to support you guys in one way or another, so I've come up with this:
awesome :D

You can only continuously catch people with it if you correctly predict their actions, right? So... what's wrong with how it is? I understand wanting a small damage reduction, but even the pros can't predict their enemies' movements 100% of the time. Or am I missing something?
Snake can "infinite" some characters by grabbing them out of their get up on REACTION.

So, if I'm Snake and I dthrow, i can just wait for you to do something and then grab and dthrow you.

I think the no damage idea might work...or get-ups could be altered.
Either work.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Snake can "infinite" some characters by grabbing them out of their get up on REACTION.

So, if I'm Snake and I dthrow, i can just wait for you to do something and then grab and dthrow you.

I think the no damage idea might work...or get-ups could be altered.
Either work.
So, some character's get-up attacks can be grabbed through before they get a chance to put out a hitbox? If that's the case I can totally understand changing it.

EDIT: Also, this banner is awesome. Thanks Menos!

codfish92

Smash Ace
Denver Colorado: wishing it was never summer.
So, some character's get-up attacks can be grabbed through before they get a chance to put out a hitbox? If that's the case I can totally understand changing it.

EDIT: Also, this banner is awesome. Thanks Menos!
it's not that they can get grabbed before the hitboxs appear, its that snake can just shield, then grab them when the invincibility frames end.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
it's not that they can get grabbed before the hitboxs appear, its that snake can just shield, then grab them when the invincibility frames end.
Hmm. I must admit I'm a little skeptical this warrants a change so extreme as giving the throw 0% damage. After all, you can choose to (a) roll backward (b) roll forward (c) attack or (d) wait, whenever you are grabbed by this. Snake can only follow up on one of those choices, really, so it's far from inescapable.

I confess I haven't been up against a good Snake, however, so I could easily be underestimating the problem. From my viewpoint, however, I think something like nerfing the damage to 6% or so would be more than enough.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
omg... if you nerf snakes down throw like that guys snake mainers will hate us before the end of time comes... and even as your posting this now I'm hating it and I don't main snake... Ugh keep snakes dthrow the same lol your fault for being predicted in the first place

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's not even a matter of prediction when Snake D-throws several characters. There are some characters that are very easy to techchase because they have bad getups that can be REACTED to. Either they telegraph their getup attack, have a slow roll, or even both.

And by the way, it is MUCH easier for Snake to "predict" with his grab when you consider his grab is fast, decently ranged, and involves much less commitment than Ganondorf's Flame Choke. See, in order for Ganondorf to actually techchase someone, he has to Flame Choke almost slightly in advance due to the startup lag on his move. G&W often also has to choose a direction in advance to successfully regrab some characters due to the speed of techrolls being superior in general. Not that way for Snake. He can almost always watch which way they roll, and he only has to start his grab up when he gets to where his opponent is.

And the point is Snake's reward for predicting correctly (which is not even that hard) is ridiculously high, and doesn't even make sense. Snake basically always gets a followup from his D-throw because it's that good. And it's stupid that it outdamages his other throws (and 90% of throws in this game for that matter).

Basically give Snakes a reason to use their other throws. D-throw by its unique properties is already an extremely good attack, the best of its kind for techchase setups. It's not fair that this superior throw outdamages the other techchase setups in this game.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No, that doesn't solve the issue at all unless you make tech rolls extremely broken and lame. You still basically get predicted half the time and lose half your stock whenever you get predicted.

If you're saying it's the fault of the player getting predicted (which is true to some extent), obviously the solution is tone down the reward of Snake correctly predicting in the first place.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I have done just that! It's a really really well done banner, MenoUnderwater, and I appreciate that you'd take your time to do something like that :)

I know Zard has a really difficult time versus Snake because of the Dthrow tech chase. I think it's something like he can't roll back and get behind Snake, his forward roll is beyond easy to chase, and his getup attack is quite laggy. I don't think anything can be done to fix the throw without being a severe nerf to Snake and/or changing game mechanics. A small compensation on damage is the best I think you can do to make it less devastating for some. I don't know.

Keep up the great work, you two.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Considering dedede has the same thing except with the techable variable with a better, faster, lengthier grab with a better shield, the dthrow is fine.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Testing in posts that short doesn't help. I believe you need to reach a certain size of a post to actually have your signature show up. That's just what it's seemed like to me.

If you can see it in the preview, then you have it.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
It's not like it completely destroys the strategy. It just takes longer to rack up damage with it.

Whenever anybody gets a nerf, the amount of mains supporting the project that nerfed it will drop.

This nerf is necessary, and if they don't like Snake enough for Snake (as opposed to his skewed dThrow strategy), they can move over to G&W.

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
Considering dedede has the same thing except with the techable variable with a better, faster, lengthier grab with a better shield, the dthrow is fine.
If I got it right, DDD do NOT have an infinites, because his grab is techable.
Snake DOES have infinites, due to his Dthrow being not techable.

Thats why this is NOT fine.
It´s regular infinite. I am not saying way to solve it, just pointing out. :)

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
If I got it right, DDD do NOT have an infinites, because his grab is techable.
Run to where they teched, block the first thing they do, regrab them. If they attack, shield, or dodge, basically ANYTHING other than immediately roll away twice (which you can punish with dash attack anyway) theyre getting regrabbed. Dedede's range makes up for the fact that you can tech his down throw, easily, especially considering it comes out 2 frames faster than snake's.

It's not an infinite if it relies on you reading someone correctly, whether it be prediction or reaction. What that means is you got read...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom