• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
looks like someones a poor sport :)
An EXTREMELY poor sport. I ragequit Smash sets if I lose two in a row, even if they only had one stock left with over 100% damage and I had previously beaten them 8 or more games in a row. I also tend to immediately stop playing if someone is a stock ahead and taunts me.

I also have a very short fuse in general and a recently-acquired incredibly dark outlook on the state of humankind, especially lately.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
An EXTREMELY poor sport. I ragequit Smash sets if I lose two in a row, even if they only had one stock left with over 100% damage and I had previously beaten them 8 or more games in a row. I also tend to immediately stop playing if someone is a stock ahead and taunts me.
this sounds more like a joke than anything lol

I also have a very short fuse in general and a recently-acquired incredibly dark outlook on the state of humankind, especially lately.
this sounds more like a plea for help than anything

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
You don't need to work at making me think less of people on the Internet, Steeler. You've already done your part quite admirably. :ohwell:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
this sounds more like a joke than anything lol
Actually, I vaguely remember being shoved after winning one of my matches against Ryusuta during one of our initial encounters. xD

bleyva

Smash Ace

something tells me that you never learned how to properly deal with stress when you were growing up.

if losing in smash really gets you that upset, you need to
stop losing, you loser

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
You don't need to work at making me think less of people on the Internet, Steeler. You've already done your part quite admirably. :ohwell:
just doin my job! you really should have shown up to supercon by the way, i was there!!! so you could have punched me or something.

Actually, I vaguely remember being shoved after winning one of my matches against Ryusuta during one of our initial encounters. xD
this guy was there too!!! and lulz meno :p

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
You'd better have gotten some photos of Supercon, or you will be arrested for loitering.

Don't blame me, it's the law. You have to have photos when you go to events like that.

And videos.

And spray cheese.

bleyva

Smash Ace
I was able to figure out with only Super Mario 64.

Just try to think what's most notable about that game that isn't in anything else.
paintings which act as portals to other universes? annoying gold rabbits?

my brain has failed me :(

ZacTASTIC

Smash Apprentice
It might have been answered, but I can't find it for the life of me...

I have Homebrew Channel and I love my custom textures and music and all that. How do I run BBrawl and the textures and stuff? Which code do I use and do i still need to use HBC?

-dUb-

Smash Cadet
It might have been answered, but I can't find it for the life of me...

I have Homebrew Channel and I love my custom textures and music and all that. How do I run BBrawl and the textures and stuff? Which code do I use and do i still need to use HBC?
Do it the same as you have been. just make sure you have the file patch code is in your .gct
Put RSBE01.gct into the codes folder and run HBC as normal

bleyva

Smash Ace
What things only found in SM64 can apply to Brawl?

Why can't it be noticed in 1v1?

THINK
metal box, rainbow cruise, mario's bthrow, uuuhhhhhhhhh............bowser.......

wait a minute, let me guess.....if metal mario bthrows bowser on rainbow cruise in 2v2, its a OHKO!!!!!! am i close?

ZacTASTIC

Smash Apprentice
I tried running homebrew and gecko OS but it froze when it said applying codes. like three times. I have Gecko 1.0.7 on my homebrew and I noticed that the restarting with the stage builder thing uses 1.0.9... do I have to upgrade my gecko in homebrew?
Sorry. I've been trying to figure it out for a while and I'm gettin frustrated. haha

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I tried running homebrew and gecko OS but it froze when it said applying codes. like three times. I have Gecko 1.0.7 on my homebrew and I noticed that the restarting with the stage builder thing uses 1.0.9... do I have to upgrade my gecko in homebrew?
Sorry. I've been trying to figure it out for a while and I'm gettin frustrated. haha
Balanced Brawl is way over 256 lines and therefore requires the use of a modern version of Gecko OS. Anything that is of the form 1.9.X should work (I use 1.9.0.1, the Bbrawl standard is 1.9.1, and 1.9.2 should work via the Homebrew Channel). Be sure you have that gameconfig.txt file in the root of the SD card as well; these modern versions of Gecko depend on it to correctly interpret our large .gct file.

ZacTASTIC

Smash Apprentice
Thanks and I'm really sorry to keep asking questions, but...
I just ran Gecko 1.9 through Homebrew and my SD card has the setup for Balanced Brawl and for textures, but the textures and music aren't working. I used the RSBE01.gct from the BBrawl download. Does that matter? BBrawl still runs fine. just not textures or music.

And yes, gameconfig.txt is in the root.

EDIT: FINALLY! I got it. To anyone wondering, I used the wrong RSBE01.gct. during the course of my trial and error, I got them mixed up.
But the Gecko 1.9 i legitimately needed help with, so thank y'all so much. Time to play some legit brawl. =]

Great Hack, btw.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
We just need to give this baby more time. I have 100% confidence this will grow on the Smash community. I got my friend TonyGuacamole (a guy who likes Brawl+ btw) to see why this hack is amazing.

I'm trying not to be biased, but I can really see Mario being a top tier threat in BBrawl. His KO power is among the best of the best in this game, even more emphasized by the reliability and ease of landing his KO moves. Mario is REALLY STRONG in BBrawl. Basically he's a character that has a good, if not great option for everything. His one weakness is low range, which can be compensated for by his improved fireballs, situational use of Cape and FLUDD, and his incredibly long ranged F-smash. While his recovery may be predictable offstage, Mario greatly benefits from the removal of Recovery Carry Over lag, and his weight makes him considerably more bulky than characters like Marth, Metaknight, and G&W.

To give you an idea how amazingly strong Mario is, his Up-smash KOs DDD at 127% on FD. Mario's D-smash likewise KOs about 3% higher than his Up-smash (from the center of FD), and becomes extremely scary to deal with when you are near the edge due to its gimp potential. Even BETTER for Mario is his improved B-throw, which is very close in KO power to Ness's B-throw. It easily KOs Bowser at around 125% or so, and this gets even better when you factor in the ease of getting a grab through Mario's very good Jab cancel. Mario in short has some of the best KO options in this game, able to kill anyone in this game before they live past 130%.

I should also point out, Mario's KO moves are relatively safe. His D-smash in particular is a safe attack on block, as it pushes his opponents away very far. Mario's Up-smash is one of the better out of shield attacks in this game and also has relatively low ending lag. Mario's F-smash has some of the longest range in this game when reversed (outranging Ike's F-smash). Mario can Jab cancel easily into a grab most of the time.

As for Mario's F-smash, Mario's other KO moves have become so good that I find this attack is a lot more useful as a long-ranged damage dealer.

But anyhow, Mario has everything. He has a good projectile. He has the Cape which reflects projectiles, changes his momentum, gimps people, and really adds to his mixup game. His Neutral air is a great combo breaker, out of shield option, and gimp tool. His D-air is also great out of shield, it starts combos, juggles, and is a GREAT shield pressure tool. His FLUDD is a wacky spacer. Mario's Up-B is a great out of shield attack. Mario can combo his opponents pretty easily, and with his increased KO power, now he can kill them very quickly.

Mario ****ing rocks.
I main Mario in this game. I think he might be the best character, but I'm not sure yet. Marth might still win. Wario is also pretty broken. I gotta see how Zelda and Sheik play. I get my BB tomorrow, so it's all good.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Could someone explain what these numbers mean, I know it's probably been asked before but I can't find it anywhere. I'm mostly concerned about the two numbers in parenthesis, but explainations on other numbers might help too =)

Jab 3 knockback (105/60) -> (80/60)
Forward tilt 1 damage (8%) -> (7%)
Up tilt knockback (95/55) -> (83/55)
Down smash mine knockback (58/90) -> (62/95), angle (88) -> (90)

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
Well, I am happy for Mario. By the way... Is there an exclusive community for Balanced Brawl players?
I need to know if there are any BBrawlers from South America to play wifi with.

CORRECTED: Those numbers are (growth/base) in knockback. Base is knockback without any damage, and growth is how much does that knockback grow based on damage.

The angle numbers are degrees, considering 0 to be to the right. And it considers the hit takes you from left to right. For example, a 45 angle in an attack, is being launched the same strength to the right and up, on an attack that came from the left (the attacker was standing to his right side).

The number to the left of the -> is the vBrawl value/s, and to the right of the -> is the new BBrawl value/s.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mentioning knockback, how exactly does the knockback formula work?

Say I have an attack that does knockback of 20/30, and another that does 30/20, at what percent will they have the same launch distance?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
To clarify, it's actually growth/base and not base/growth. Snake's up tilt has 55 base knockback in both standard Brawl and Balanced Brawl, but in the transition its knockback growth was reduced from 95 (which is a very high number) to 83 (the original overnerfed version was 80, to give you an idea of how much 1 unit is).

In the code, these values are in hex, but for the change list, we converted them to decimal so people could understand it better.

Everything Morpheus said about angle is right, but I'd add a special note that when we call the angle (-) we mean special angle 361 degrees. This is a hardcoded special angle that generally launches at 45 degrees, but it has a little quirkiness if I recall. There are actually a variety of special angles above 360 degrees, but special angle 361 (169h) is the only one that's common at all and the only one that came up in the making of Balanced Brawl. Do note that meteor canceling is a generic property of all moves that launch at angle 270 degrees; the "true spikes" that Brawl+ adds (and we are not going to add) utilize one of those special angles with special properties.

The actual formula is fairly complex, and a version of it that is a function of pure in-game values is not public knowledge (though I do recall hearing that leafgreen had privately worked it out, I have no idea if that's true). A version that uses non-ingame values can be found somewhere on Brawl Tactical; it's a thread ColinJF made about Brawl Dynamics (I was involved in the research as well).

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Ah, figures. I was all "...whaa?"

I was also wondering what the dashes were. Thanks for clarification.

Special angle 361 is commonly referred to as the Sakurai Angle. If your target is on the ground, they frequently trip from it.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
For some more in game information on the dynamics of knockback itself (rather than the launch speed calculation), see this post by leafgreen. With regard to the actual launch speed formula we never did figure out how "c" works but it's pretty obviously related to the launch angle. (AA and I looked at some data on this a few weeks ago, but the relationship is thoroughly nonobvious.) Now that we have actual in game data on all of the relevant quantities I could update that applet some time, but I haven't done it yet.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Moves causing tripping is a completely separate property from launch angle actually. Well, launch angle is related (they can't be forced to trip if it launches them off the ground), but moves have a special property that dictates the likelihood to force a trip. At this time, this value is only editable by PSA and is not changed for any move in Balanced Brawl.

Crescens

Smash Cadet
For some more in game information on the dynamics of knockback itself (rather than the launch speed calculation), see this post by leafgreen. With regard to the actual launch speed formula we never did figure out how "c" works but it's pretty obviously related to the launch angle. (AA and I looked at some data on this a few weeks ago, but the relationship is thoroughly nonobvious.) Now that we have actual in game data on all of the relevant quantities I could update that applet some time, but I haven't done it yet.
Question; is your physics simulator applet working? Using default settings, I get the same max x position for all characters. Using 90 degrees, Samus seems to be the second 'lightest' character. Unless I misunderstood something in your formula post, something seems to be off.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Back on the ICs, I was able to do a 0-80 chaingrab just now on MK, and I'm not even that good at CGs at all. I'll see how far I can get.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You seem like a knowledgeable person quite like myself that would probably enjoy a tool like this.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6099263#post6099263
Huh.

I guess what I learned is that the growth rate is VASTLY more prominent than Base when calculating knockback. Considering that growth directly gets multiplied by % in the equation...

Also, Base knockback is unaffected by weight while growth however is (when growth is greater than 0)?

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I think the base knockback gets multiplied by like 32.2 so base knockback is still somewhat important for total knockback.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Question; is your physics simulator applet working? Using default settings, I get the same max x position for all characters. Using 90 degrees, Samus seems to be the second 'lightest' character. Unless I misunderstood something in your formula post, something seems to be off.
This isn't a mistake. You're holding the launch force constant but hitting two different characters at the same percent with the same move will not produce the same launch velocity, hence the counterintuitive results.

Also, Base knockback is unaffected by weight while growth however is (when growth is greater than 0)?
Well, there is the mysterious a * c term which doesn't depend on percent. You could view that as modifying "base launch speed" (for hits where the initial terms sum to > 2550).

I think the base knockback gets multiplied by like 32.2 so base knockback is still somewhat important for total knockback.
Yeah, there is an arbitrary constant which multiplies the in-game base launch speed values (which is ~30). This is what AA meant by "non in game values" in the above post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom