• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Band Name

What Band Name is Best?

• Godzilla's Older Brother

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • **** Yeahlies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quixotic Truth

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • The Baby Stompers

• The Reverse Cowgirls

• Malicious Remedy

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Abdominal Thrust

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Three Against One

• The Antagonists

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • STEALF

• Dr. Kopter's Chopper

• Death by Dying

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Skeptical Love Crush

• Play-doh Cremation

• An Ode to Yourself

• Polaris Over Napalm

• Kevin's Best Friend

• Epic Stuff

• One Day This Will Make a Great Story

• Not Gay

• Boss Commanchee

• Sabre Toothed Tiger Shark

• The Great White Lie

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • PSI

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • (A Different Name, please Explain)

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
My three good buddies are making a band, and I would really appreciate it if you would choose your favorite name. They are serious about this -- as am I -- and I would really appreciate your feedback.

This, along with a few other polls, will seriously sway their decision.

Please also post why you chose that name, and post why you would take other names off of the poll.

Thank you, Proomers.

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, <- drummer from said band. Some of these names are goofy as hell, but we're trying to find a solid name that people would like to hear and will shout out at our shows ^_^

Thanks for all the input to come, and thanks for *hopefully* being serious about it :]

-Boon

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
I like The Great White Lie. To me, the other names sound dorky or too vague and pretentious. A lot of young bands have dumb names like those. The Great White Lie already sounds established and mature. It's got credibility. I'd go see them, and I'd be more willing to tell people about them. Plus it's got FIGHT THE POWER connotations.

The other name I like is Three Against One, although it's kind of generic, it also has FIGHT THE POWER plus simplicity.

Even if your band is lighthearted, I think you'll get more respect with a more "serious" name and people won't just assume you're a band of stupid teenagers.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
The Great White Lie is pretty good, as is the Antagonists. Personally, I'd go with Great White Lie, though it depends on what music you're playing.

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
Well by the name of the band names I'm assuming you play light indie music... BOO! Anyways, as far as band names go, you can't lose with: ALBATROSS. Or Albatross. Either one is pure win.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
you know, Boss Comanchee sounds pretty pro to me.
However, Great White Lie should fit any music genre.
Is it indie? Metal? Ska?

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
I have a thing for Malicious Remedy. I don't know why, it just seems... sophisticated, maybe?
Genre would help as well.

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
Genre is kind of anything metal right now. I play a lot of double bass riffs leaning more into harder metal, so something in that area

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
Genre is kind of anything metal right now. I play a lot of double bass riffs leaning more into harder metal, so something in that area
Oh! If you're a metal band then ALL of those names are wrong. They all sound like freaking wimpy indie band names. If you have a metal band you need a metal band NAME! And if you are really really heavy then you need a freaking AWESOME name. It is such a shame that all of the bands with like AWESOME names are metal core crap with no singing screeching or growling vocals. ex. Mastodon, Haunted Shores, etc.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
From the list I would opt for Great White Lie or Boss Commanche. Most of the other names are plain stupid and aren't particuarly good, I'd stay yards away for STEALF, best left for a crap DJ or Rapper, DJ/MC STEALF ya get me?

It might be worth carrying on coming up with names, as Great White Lie and Boss Commanche sound like the names for mediocre/poor bands, like Slaves on Dope. On the flipside, the band is what you make it.

Lastly, I really like the idea of "Reverse Cowgirl" as a song title.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Before I vote, what are your favorite bands? A lot of bands named themselves after another artist's/band's music as a tribute, it's a great way to get people interested in your music, a lot of famous bands did this, such as The Beatles (originally a reference to Buddy Holly and the Crickets), Radiohead (Talking Heads), The Ramones (Paul McCartney of the Beatle's fake stage name), etc. Just make sure you break away.

If you don't like this idea, or can't all agree on it, then I'd say The Antagonists is the best choice here, I think it's the only name that people would look back on in years, and take seriously. A lot of the other names seem like ones that would be regrettable within that timeframe, especially if you guys ever got noticed. The name seems like it'd be a good setup when writing songs (criticizing something/someone while making it sound good, showing your side of the argument, then calling yourselves "The Antagonists". That would make a lot of people think, and draw them to take your side of the argument seriously). Also seems like some of these names are inside jokes or titles that most likely would not be picked up. Leave the inside jokes/critiques/theories/attacks/etc. to the song titles, lyrics, and album titles, but make yourself likable before doing so, or, most likely, your fan base won't grow very much.

saberhof

Smash Master
the great white lie, sounds to me like some breakdown band xD...but i picked it anyways, i really need to know what kind of music do you play or hear something...

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
I voted for The Great White Lie, but that's before I knew it was a metal band. I'll agree with Marshigio and say to pull the name from somewhere else. Doesn't have to be from music, though--the Doors are named after a William Blake poem, after all.

For the record, I also kind of like PSI.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Yeah, Great White Lie doesn't work for metal.

How about Damascus?

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
To respond to Marshigio's post, some bands that I and my guitarist are really into are like As I lay Dying, In Flames, and Bring Me the Horizon, just to name a select few I've been listening to a lot today. I'll definitely talk about the possibility of pulling a name from something like that, thanks for the idea.

Also, to talk about your point on inside jokes, my guitarist generated the vast majority of this list, and he's a ridiculously funny guy, which is why so many inside jokes shine through, Polaris over Napalm is from when he threw a **** thing of home-made napalm into my pool and burned my polaris in half ><. I didn't want to just tell him to stfu and leave those names out, so I decided to put them up here and hope that people felt the same way I did about them, which you seem to heh. We're going to different colleges atm, so it's relatively impossible to get any music put together, but I was hoping that some of these names would trigger an interest, hence why you guys would vote for them. That trigger in interest alone is what I was mainly looking for ^_^

Thanks to everyone who's voted so far and those to come!

Grining_Ghoul

Smash Apprentice
I helped my brother find a name for his Metal/Grind-core band "3 Burials", so maybe I can help here! Mr. Ocax is right all those names in the polls sound to whimpy to be a decent metal name, you need something more powerful! How about: Sonic Boom Assault, Metal Suit Militia, Gods Forgotten, or Dying Will. These are some names I thought up just in case my brother started another band, but you could use them if you'd like!

:3

saberhof

Smash Master
Metal? =O...

ill suggest some i had in mind a long time ago :p: Rising Hidden Horizon, Outsiders, In Stone, Fixation,The Virtuoso, Ending In Horror, Within the core....

maybe i am thinking pretty underground/metal/core stuff lol but just throwing out ideas =D

Top Bottom