• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'd argue that one of the main reasons people believe Banjo could come to Smash is because of the rare spirits found in the data (that still haven't been removed).
I think people said that they were baked into the cartridge so they couldn't be removed even if they wanted to. Dunno how true that is however.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I watched it too most were in denial
I think he pretty much confessed the other day that he is scared of being bashed over the fact he is biased towards Banjo and saying anything against Steve would just give him unnecessary situations with Steve fans. I can't blame him.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Add me to the list of people who vehemently opposes Steve as a character but would be on board for any other form of representation for Minecraft in Smash. Be it stage, stage builder, mii costumes, assist trophies or spirits.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
We shouldn't sleep on the fact that we also have Indiegamerchick who apparently has a LOT of confidence with her microsoft connections and she has teased us with Banjo and rare replay before already (then apparently deleted it cause i can't find it again).

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
We shouldn't sleep on the fact that we also have Indiegamerchick who apparently has a LOT of confidence with her microsoft connections and she has teased us with Banjo and rare replay before already (then apparently deleted it cause i can't find it again).
Yes she did delete those tweets. The jury's still out on her credibility though.

People also need to remember that it was a "certainty" that Shovel Knight and Inkling were coming last time as DLC.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Yeah, we are not even guaranteed a Microsoft character at this point. Don’t forget, Smash heavily favors eastern tastes over western tastes, at least prior to Ultimate.

We could get random jrpg characters and no western characters

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah, we are not even guaranteed a Microsoft character at this point. Don’t forget, Smash heavily favors eastern tastes over western tastes, at least prior to Ultimate.

That's exactly the change i want to happen so that people literally open their minds for real now. Plus it would be big anyway

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

...I mean could we at least get Rhythm Heaven character since thats popular (?) in Japan??

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
As expected the troll crowd is moving the goalposts and are still in heavy denial about Steve's shrinking likelihood. What really baffled me was that some actually believe that banjo is deconfirmed because Steve was essentially "deconfirmed" as well. Their bizarre logic implied that Steve and the folks at Mojang were Banjo's superiors and thus him getting out means Banjo's out as well. I think that was a troll acting dumb but some people will no doubt use this.

I love how most of the haters are now totally throwing out any Microsoft character getting in now that their golden goose is shown to actually be just a bucket of fried chicken. With how Nintendo and Smash are showing support for Western Characters like K.Rool, Shovel Knight and Dark Samus, it's clear that the possibility of Banjo getting in is more alive than ever. We can't forget how accommodating Phil Specner has been when it comes to working with Nintendo. If they can make Minecraft Crossplay work, then I have no doubts a western character can make it to smash.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I've never come here before, but I'm definitely a Banjo supporter. Hopefully it's finally time for the duo to come home to Nintendo where they belong.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm not sure about Indiegamerchick considering all the weird, questionable stuff she said regarding Rare on Twitter.

I don't know. Maybe Rare and Nintendo's relationship wasn't 100% faultless, but the idea of Miyamoto "depising" the Stamper Bros. and thinking all along that Rare was just some second rate studio is pretty out there, especially since it's been noted that Miyamoto gifted Rare a bonsai tree as a symbol of their relationship and successes. Miyamoto was also the guy who suggested for Rare to to utilize one of his pet franchises (Star Fox) for their action-adventure game they were working on (Dinosaur Planet).

Last edited:

DevinY1

Smash Cadet
As expected the troll crowd is moving the goalposts and are still in heavy denial about Steve's shrinking likelihood. What really baffled me was that some actually believe that banjo is deconfirmed because Steve was essentially "deconfirmed" as well. Their bizarre logic implied that Steve and the folks at Mojang were Banjo's superiors and thus him getting out means Banjo's out as well. I think that was a troll acting dumb but some people will no doubt use this.

I love how most of the haters are now totally throwing out any Microsoft character getting in now that their golden goose is shown to actually be just a bucket of fried chicken. With how Nintendo and Smash are showing support for Western Characters like K.Rool, Shovel Knight and Dark Samus, it's clear that the possibility of Banjo getting in is more alive than ever. We can't forget how accommodating Phil Specner has been when it comes to working with Nintendo. If they can make Minecraft Crossplay work, then I have no doubts a western character can make it to smash.
The troll crowd is having a meltdown on gamefaqs. It's a show, I just hope this doesn't blow up in our faces.

Mr. Stagg

The troll crowd is having a meltdown on gamefaqs. It's a show, I just hope this doesn't blow up in our faces.
The facts are staring them right in the face and they choose not to believe their lying eyes. Bloody typical. Im not about to pull the level for full on celebration, but this may be a taste at the troll meltdown they'll have if Banjo is actually confirmed.

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
That's exactly the change i want to happen so that people literally open their minds for real now. Plus it would be big anyway
If Nintendo/Sakurai wanted this change than it would have happened by now. The only reason Shovel Knight is in is because his game was published by Nintendo for Japan. It's very very clear a western owned character will NEVER be a playable fighter. This is a RULE.

D

Deleted member

What thread specifically are you talking about.

I also find it curious as to while people have been showing confidence on Banjo over Steve, Tansut has been showing confidence of Edrick over anyone else. and it's almost happening at the same time.

Then again, knowing my luck, Banjo likely isn't in, and that's Karma for me finally getting 3 of my most wanted Newcomers in almost a row (Ridley, Simon and K.Rool)

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If Nintendo/Sakurai wanted this change than it would have happened by now. The only reason Shovel Knight is in is because his game was published by Nintendo for Japan. It's very very clear a western owned character will NEVER be a playable fighter. This is a RULE.
It's not like Sakurai does what he wants when he wants. If he wants to make a western character he is going to make a western character. Treating fan rules as fact is wrong.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Nothing is a rule unless Sakurai states it is.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/

There are Sakurai's official rules. There's nothing about no western characters.

Mr. Stagg

That's odd. Why would he do damage control if he's not under nda?
I suspect the deconfirm would upset Steve fans and he is back tracking to try and bring the truth back behind the curtains. Kinda like the Wizard from Wizard of Oz saying "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

D

Deleted member

and so was a "rule" "that a Company would only get one Character (Ryu and Mega Man and Snake and Simon say hi)

and so was a "rule" that a 3rd party needed to be important to Nintendo to be in Smash (Joker says hi)

and so was a "rule" that 3rd parties needed to be gaming icons known by the entire mainstream audience in order to be in Smash (Bayo says hi)

Come on now, you are just gatekeeping. The cultural barriers may make it harder for a western-owned character, but saying it's a rule it's downright idiotic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
Nothing is a rule unless Sakurai states it is.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/

There are Sakurai's official rules. There's nothing about no western characters.
Just because it's not stated doesn't mean it's not a rule. Things will NOT go down well if Sakurai comes out and says "western characters will never be playable in Smash." So of course he'll NEVER say this, but it shows. Actions speak louder than words. And BTW, K.Rool and Dark Samus are owned by Nintendo, they are not western characters(people keep saying they are.)

and so was a "rule" "that a Company would only get one Character (Ryu and Mega Man and Snake and Simon say hi)

and so was a "rule" that a 3rd party needed to be important to Nintendo to be in Smash (Joker says hi)

and so was a "rule" that 3rd parties needed to be gaming icons known by the entire mainstream audience in order to be in Smash (Bayo says hi)

Come on now, you are just gatekeeping. The cultural barriers may make it harder for a western-owned character, but saying it's a rule it's downright idiotic.
It's idiotic to say this, yet the game clearly shows it's true. 5 games and a single assist trophy. And those rules you stated were not said by Sakurai nor implied throughout the smash series. No western character as a playable fighter is the only unwritten rule that has shown throughout Smash's history. I will **** in my underwear and eat it if any western owned character becomes playable(and this character or franchise has had NOT interaction from Nintendo ie Shovel Knight.)

I mean, shovel knight, the closest thing the west has gotten to a playable fighter, is an assist trophy(and only ONE character) and we get inceneroar, ken, another Marth, and a friggen plant. so don't know what else to say. This right here shows how little Skaurai/Nintendo cares about the west.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Just because it's not stated doesn't mean it's not a rule. Things will NOT go down well if Sakurai comes out and says "western characters will never be playable in Smash." So of course he'll NEVER say this, but it shows. Actions speak louder than words. And BTW, K.Rool and Dark Samus are owned by Nintendo, they are not western characters(people keep saying they are.)
Are you Sakurai? You act like you know more about his rules then he does.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
They're quickly running out of big Japanese 3rd Party characters. Aside from Capcom there's nothing left assuming Dragon Quest gets in.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Can we stop with the bull**** fan "Rules" please or is that asking too much of the Smash Fanbase

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I suspect the deconfirm would upset Steve fans and he is back tracking to try and bring the truth back behind the curtains. Kinda like the Wizard from Wizard of Oz saying "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."
That, and that guy was completely unknown until yesterday, when his connection to Minecraft got advertised literally everywhere and Smash fans started popping into that Discord to harangue him endlessly with questions; I'd backtrack too at that point, regardless.

D

Deleted member

It's idiotic to say this, yet the game clearly shows it's true. 5 games and a single assist trophy. And those rules you stated were not said by Sakurai nor implied throughout the smash series. No western character as a playable fighter is the only unwritten rule that has shown throughout Smash's history. I will **** in my underwear and eat it if any western owned character becomes playable(and this character or franchise has had NOT interaction from Nintendo ie Shovel Knight.)
You could argue that the first rule was manifested in Brawl. Remember, in Brawl the only SEGA content was from Sonic, and the only Konami content was from Metal Gear, with not a single trace from any other franchise from those respective companies, compare that to Smash 4 and Ultimate, were the companies were more lenient. Character from the same company showed up and some franchises got representation in non-playable form (Monster Hunter's Rathalos) but if this was like 2009, you would be hardpress to make an argument for Simon or the like because people would shut you down with "ONE CHARACTER PER COMPANY" and nothing in Brawl pointed against that argument. To you your fan-rule of 3rd party westerns may seem reasonable, but that's because so far it points to your favor, just like in Smash prior to Ryu's reveal regarding the "one per company" rule fans had.

Same with the "3rd Parties must be icons" fan-rule. This one was the reason as to why the only characters that were prominent in Smash 4 speculation that were third party were Mega Man and Pac-Man, anybody else was almost a no show or got heavily scrutinized. Back then if you argued about Shovel Knight, nobody would tell you "NO WESTERN THIRD PARTIES", they would instead say "THIRD PARTIES MUST BE SUPER INCONC MAINSTREAM POP CULTURE FACES" (in a way it's almost like people moved the goalpost regarding Shovel Knight, but that's another topic) If we go back to E3 2014, Sakurai made a big deal of these super important gaming characters (Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man) and there was no dobut in many people's mind that any other character must be on the same standard as these 4 (which admitedly, Ryu and Cloud follow up nicely with those 4, even if the former broke the "One rep per company" fan-rule and the latter broke "Must be heavily tied with Nintendo" fan-rule completely)................and then Bayonetta showed up and threw that fan-rule in the trash (Bayonetta's games don't sell even a fraction of many of the other third party franchises in Smash, and Sega didn't even wanted to fund the seuquel so Nintendo ended up doing it instead, no matter how you slice it Bayo doesn't even compare to many of the other third parties in Smash when it comes to legacy, popularity and recognotition)

Fan-rules are nothing but the manifestation of a pattern that only exist as soon as fans notice and is Destroyed the moment they start it using it as a guideline for characters. Your arugment of Western Third Parties boils down to "IT HASN'T HAPPENED BEFORE SO IT CAN'T HAPPEN NOW!", which is laughable.

DevinY1

Smash Cadet
What thread specifically are you talking about. [/QUOTE said:
There are multiple threads about this on gamefaqs lol. Mostly the ones saying Steve Dis-confirmed etc.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I kind of feel bad for the guy, he probably had no idea what shooting down Steve would open up.

Clearly someone had a word with him this morning...

1554571931379.png

Weird how he brings up Maxwell, a character literally NO ONE has heard in the rumor/speculation talk, just to walk that back too

Although I have to say Maxwell would be a pretty cool character to represent the 3DS/DS era. Not sure how he'd work as a fighter though

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

I kind of feel bad for the guy, he probably had no idea what shooting down Steve would open up.

Clearly someone had a word with him this morning...

View attachment 205250

Weird how he brings up Maxwell, a character literally NO ONE has heard in the rumor/speculation talk, just to walk that back too

Although I have to say Maxwell would be a pretty cool character to represent the 3DS/DS era. Not sure how he'd work as a fighter though
I think Nikki and Vince take that spot when it comes to the artistic schtick as AT's. Would've been dope though.

hinode

Smash Cadet
You could argue that the first rule was manifested in Brawl. Remember, in Brawl the only SEGA content was from Sonic, and the only Konami content was from Metal Gear, with not a single trace from any other franchise from those respective companies, compare that to Smash 4 and Ultimate, were the companies were more lenient. Character from the same company showed up and some franchises got representation in non-playable form (Monster Hunter's Rathalos) but if this was like 2009, you would be hardpress to make an argument for Simon or the like because people would shut you down with "ONE CHARACTER PER COMPANY" and nothing in Brawl pointed against that argument. To you your fan-rule of 3rd party westerns may seem reasonable, but that's because so far it points to your favor, just like in Smash prior to Ryu's reveal regarding the "one per company" rule fans had.

Same with the "3rd Parties must be icons" fan-rule. This one was the reason as to why the only characters that were prominent in Smash 4 speculation that were third party were Mega Man and Pac-Man, anybody else was almost a no show or got heavily scrutinized. Back then if you argued about Shovel Knight, nobody would tell you "NO WESTERN THIRD PARTIES", they would instead say "THIRD PARTIES MUST BE SUPER INCONC MAINSTREAM POP CULTURE FACES" (in a way it's almost like people moved the goalpost regarding Shovel Knight, but that's another topic) If we go back to E3 2014, Sakurai made a big deal of these super important gaming characters (Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man) and there was no dobut in many people's mind that any other character must be on the same standard as these 4 (which admitedly, Ryu and Cloud follow up nicely with those 4, even if the former broke the "One rep per company" fan-rule and the latter broke "Must be heavily tied with Nintendo" fan-rule completely)................and then Bayonetta showed up and threw that fan-rule in the trash (Bayonetta's games don't sell even a fraction of many of the other third party franchises in Smash, and Sega didn't even wanted to fund the seuquel so Nintendo ended up doing it instead, no matter how you slice it Bayo doesn't even compare to many of the other third parties in Smash when it comes to legacy, popularity and recognotition)

Fan-rules are nothing but the manifestation of a pattern that only exist as soon as fans notice and is Destroyed the moment they start it using it as a guideline for characters. Your arugment of Western Third Parties boils down to "IT HASN'T HAPPENED BEFORE SO IT CAN'T HAPPEN NOW!", which is laughable.
The frustrating part about this is that identifying patterns in the existing Smash roster is in fact a useful tool for predicting future rosters. Sakurai and Nintendo are obviously not throwing picking characters (especially third party ones they have to pay licensing fees for) by throwing darts while blindfolded, so there's no reason for the fanbase to do that when speculating, either. Figuring out trends and patterns with previous picks does in fact result in more informed speculation, so long as everyone remembers that patterns do not constitute hard rules.

So of course a bunch of idiots do just that, which results in much stupidity and flame wars in every Smash community.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Can we stop with the bull**** fan "Rules" please or is that asking too much of the Smash Fanbase
I wish I knew where that Brawl-era fan art of Sonic doing the finger (in regards to the fans being impossible to please) was in DA again, because it'd be handy for emphasizing how unreasonable much people in that are.

The frustrating part about this is that identifying patterns in the existing Smash roster is in fact a useful tool for predicting future rosters. Sakurai and Nintendo are obviously not throwing picking characters (especially third party ones they have to pay licensing fees for) by throwing darts while blindfolded, so there's no reason for the fanbase to do that when speculating, either. Figuring out trends and patterns with previous picks does in fact result in more informed speculation, so long as everyone remembers that patterns do not constitute hard rules.

So of course a bunch of idiots do just that, which results in much stupidity and flame wars in every Smash community.
The way I see it, for each game I think Sakurai goes "okay, which boundaries will I break next?". The main one for Brawl was adding third parties (Sonic, Snake), for 4 it was more than one character per third party (Capcom boys), then third parties with minimal Nintendo presence (Cloud), then third parties that aren't big names and didn't have much in the way of games (Bayonetta). This time so far, it's third parties from an unambiguously dead series (Simon, Richter), a second character per third party series (Richter) and third parties that are seen as niche (Joker). The addition of Western third-parties as trophies in 4 (Rayman stuff and the indie CommanderVideo), and indies as an assist trophy and spirits (Shovel Knight, Treasure Trove knights, and Shantae and Risky) are also big deals. Not to mention the inclusion of a third-party series with major content that isn't a playable character (Monster Hunter).

The key is to figure out which boundary Sakurai will concentrate on breaking from this point onwards. We know that he can't limit himself to Japan forever, so him going for playable Western third parties is a question of "when?" rather than "if". Then there's the question of whether third party series can have more than one unique playable character.

Unfortunately, at the start of speculation since 4, people tend to think that Sakurai will break every single boundary in one game, when that clearly isn't the case. This stuff is baby steps, you know? Otherwise there wouldn't be much left to surprise people with.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Are we just gonna stand here and ignore the fact that that almost at every moment in this thread there seems to be a spike in guest and user count that's far more thant it usually is?

Top Bottom