• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banning stages is just dumb ~*Official rant*~

straight8

Banned via Warnings
Probably sleeping or in school.. but always in GA
Ok,

I'm kind of tired of hearing people say things like "we need to ban this stage because it isn't fair".
I think that if you go to a tournament or play in one online, part of you being a good brawl player will be adapting to the stages. If you have to jump a lot on rumble falls, then use that to your advantage! I don't see why you try and control so much of the game and set it up as you like to play. I understand not playing with items, but I just don't like items. If you are playing the game for money or for some free online tournament, you shouldn't say, "Let's not pick this stage because it isn't fair."

And before we get to into brawl, I think that smash players should just get over banning a stage. If it is in the game, you should learn to deal with it..

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
No. Just no. Part of being a good Brawl player is being able to recognize when a stage is not viable for tournament play.

Hostility

Smash Ace
You are assuming that every stage is fair and balanced towards all fighters, they aren't. the ones that are heavily imbalanced are banned for tournaments.

Subach

Smash Apprentice
The thing is, a professional match is meant to be decided by the skill of the competitors. A match on an unfair stage clouds the true skill of the players involved.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
It's quite simple, if I pay to be in a tournament and I'm more skilled then the other player I don't want a random cannonball to take a stock from me.

Pengie

Smash Lord
Go play as Bowser against Fox or Sonic on Temple and then try to say that all stages should be played on.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
If it's a tourny where you didn't pay then sure, use any stage I won't care.

Bacon Man11

Smash Journeyman
Stages that are completely random should definitely be banned. No one wants to lose cash because of something they had no control of.

Brawler Lime

Smash Cadet
Why dont you all shut up and just enjoy having brawl? Why are you all complaining? I have to wait another THREE MONTHS til i can even play brawl, let alone crack the sh*ts about some stage being too big/walk off sides/random events. Isnt that what smash is about? Playing it? Not making up crappy rules so that people cant play certain stages coz there is a .00001% chance that tether recovery will screw up.
That stage was electroplankton btw.

Soma

Smash Journeyman
Banning a stage only applies to tournaments, and they are not foolproof... In reverse slob picks, with your counterpick you can pick a banned staged as long as your opponent agrees to it... So, if you really want to play at Temple/New Pork City go for it, but heads up, you'll be facing a Fox.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
We could always alter the topic to "Don't be so hasty with the Ban Hammer" instead. I honestly think that the biggest issue isn't so much whether stages should be banned, but when are we crossing the line between good judgment and just being nitpicky.

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
We could always alter the topic to "Don't be so hasty with the Ban Hammer" instead. I honestly think that the biggest issue isn't so much whether stages should be banned, but when are we crossing the line between good judgment and just being nitpicky.
Agreed. The thing is: many levels create an imbalance which will favour one fight moreso than another. This alters or can alter the ending effect. Adaptability is important to a Smasher, yes, hence why some level are counterpickable, but so is the already stated fact of know when something isn't tournament viable.

Randomness is the reason why items are banned, and the fact that it takes away from skill winning a match. Stages are the exact same way. Yes, there would be more knowledge involve in any stage if counterpicking was still fine, like picking New Pork City if you know your opponent can only play a MetaKnight or a Sonic, but that's still unreasonable. It creates too much of an imbalance and is illogical.

If you ever host a tournament, you can allow whichever stages you choose, but in the real Smash world, there are banned stages, and will remain to be so. Even some levels such as Final Destination can be imbalanced to some characters, but I won't get into that. Allowing so many stages is such leniancy upon the Smashing public, and it's astounding. Spear Pillar SHOULD be banned. Maybe Mario Circuit shouldn't be, but have a Dedede chainthrow you all the way of the stage and then argue that it's a fair stage for everyone.

I know a lot of what I said has already been stated in one form or another, but I'm just supporting the arguement.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Seeing as it was mentioned I'll just throw it out there. There are many characters that can escape Dedede's chain throw. While there are other characters that Dedede can chain throw without ever having to move. All-in-all Dedede's chainthrow is becoming so situational that I'm started to think stages don't matter. Heck I think there's already four or five characters, all of them I expect to be used in tournies, that Dedede can chainthrow in place.

DroxSorcerer

Smash Cadet
One smash attack will give a player the upperhand in Wario Ware. For casual play, my favorite stage. In tournaments, no. Same goes for many stages that are banned: Temple, Pokemon Stadium 2, you name it.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
WarioWare's issue isn't the minigames, it's the random assignment of starman to the winner. This is a bit off-topic, but a response to whoever it was that mentioned WarioWare.

Cinder

Smash Master
As so many people are trying to drill into your head, certain stages cloud skills...the point of a tournament is to show who's the best, not who'll get ruined by the stage first...

Try recovering back onto Spear Pillar while Palkia flips the stage and reverses directions, then tell me all stages should be legal...yeah, thought so...

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
LOL at this guys hypocrisy. It's fine to ban items because he doesn't like them, but when it comes to stages "if it's in the game you should learn to deal with it".

The Kraken

Smash Cadet
I live under your bed, waiting for the lights to t
The thing is, a professional match is meant to be decided by the skill of the competitors. A match on an unfair stage clouds the true skill of the players involved.

/run rambling.exe

Absolute B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T

If a stage is unfair, then wouldn't it show that you are a skilled player by overcoming all the obstacles or "unfairness" that it has to offer? You all just whine about stages being too hard or unfair, cause you all suck at them, and never try to be good at them.
Think of Princess Peach's castle in melee, with the Bullet Bill drilling into the roof and then exploding. Some people think it is an unfair part of the stage, and dub it a "banned" stage, all because they can't manage the god **** thing. Brawl's Mario Circuit stage has shy guys coming in from behind and the sides, it isn't THAT hazardess, as long as you keep clear. Olimar's Distant Planet stage as the Gulping frog thing, and the rain doesn't help, but as long as you can avoid being in danger of either stage's hazards, it's all cool.

/finish rambling.exe

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
/run rambling.exe

Absolute B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T

If a stage is unfair, then wouldn't it show that you are a skilled player by overcoming all the obstacles or "unfairness" that it has to offer? You all just whine about stages being too hard or unfair, cause you all suck at them, and never try to be good at them.
Think of Princess Peach's castle in melee, with the Bullet Bill drilling into the roof and then exploding. Some people think it is an unfair part of the stage, and dub it a "banned" stage, all because they can't manage the god **** thing. Brawl's Mario Circuit stage has shy guys coming in from behind and the sides, it isn't THAT hazardess, as long as you keep clear. Olimar's Distant Planet stage as the Gulping frog thing, and the rain doesn't help, but as long as you can avoid being in danger of either stage's hazards, it's all cool.

/finish rambling.exe
Play a good Sonic or Fox on Hyrule with a moderately slow character. You'll change your mind when he shoots you once and runs away for 8 minutes.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Its amazing how many people don't understand the value of money. People KILL for money, so why wouldn't you ban a stage for it. Money is a big ****ing deal, how is that hard to understand. Clearly all of these people who don't get that are either stupid rich kids who don't have to worry about it or under 12. If something random happens to you and you lose your hard earned REAL cash because of something that you had no control over that could have easily not happened had the stage been simply banned it is a big deal.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
/run rambling.exe

Absolute B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T

/finish rambling.exe
Not trying to stereotype or anything, but look at the post counts of the people arguing that stages shouldn't be banned.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
^^^ Heh...I try to avoid mentioning that because people get all butthurt about it, but it's generally true. There are some outliers of course, but still. lol

Jael Irish

Smash Apprentice
Look...um, we don't ban stages because we dislike them. We ban them because they are negative towards the tournament experience. Its not right for someone to have a clear advantage over someone based on a particular stage. Its also not fun nor fair to be ko'ed by a technique that consists only on that stage and then it be so large that its impossible to KO them back. Its lack of not only entertainment but it takes to long.

What I ultimately don't understand is why ANY...i repeat this...why ANY casual player is even posting at ALL on these types of subjects. They do not affect your game play, a competition tournament is not going to all of a sudden convince Sakurai to make a patch that bans those stages from your game, they are OUR choices to help make tournaments more enjoyable. If your not entering a tournament, what good is you ranting about it?

HolyChef

Smash Ace
Ok,

I'm kind of tired of hearing people say things like "we need to ban this stage because it isn't fair".
I think that if you go to a tournament or play in one online, part of you being a good brawl player will be adapting to the stages. If you have to jump a lot on rumble falls, then use that to your advantage! I don't see why you try and control so much of the game and set it up as you like to play. I understand not playing with items, but I just don't like items. If you are playing the game for money or for some free online tournament, you shouldn't say, "Let's not pick this stage because it isn't fair."

And before we get to into brawl, I think that smash players should just get over banning a stage. If it is in the game, you should learn to deal with it..
oh yeah wario ware = tournament ready stage!!!
why dont we just put on items while we're at it.

*end sarcasm here*

Mann

Smash Ace
Absolute B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T
That kind of summed up what his whole post was about. Most of the people coming into Brawl don't have an understanding of why this happened, or that happened, when it comes to competitive play. It's okay though. Over time people will get the idea. Kind of.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Stop QQing, go to a tournament, play one of those stages you love so much, and see what a dumb rant you made.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
All stages should be allowed as long as all players agree. However some stages just work in favor of certain characters in broken ways and need to be put on a ban list so a character cannot always use them to have a guaranteed win on a counterpick match or when it just comes up randomly. Some amount of fairness needs to be there.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
/run rambling.exe

Absolute B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T

/finish rambling.exe
Because... these matches are SUPPOSED to be about SKILL, yeah, skill, not whether or not the stage decides it wants to kill a stock with a cannonball for example, where is the skill in that? Non-existent of course.

That's why upper tier players (and people attempting to be so and people who just can't stand being smited by the wrath of God) get annoyed, because then it's not about skill, it's about LUCK. Especially players at tournaments with buy-ins, because losing money because of luck is worse then just losing.

Skill, that's the operative word, random events should be eliminated as much as possible.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
These stages may be fun, but if you get knocked out by random luck in a tournament for money, that doesn't matter anymore.

Why should you care anyway? It's not like most of you play any tourneys. Just play for fun :)

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Think of Princess Peach's castle in melee, with the Bullet Bill drilling into the roof and then exploding. Some people think it is an unfair part of the stage, and dub it a "banned" stage, all because they can't manage the god **** thing.
Thats not why peaches castle was banned. It was banned for the divide in the middle, which made camping too good.

Anyone who has ever had to endure 7 minutes of chasing Fox on Hyrule temple understands why certain stages need to be banned.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Ok,

I stopped reading there. It's not possible to adapt to stages, as the hazards in them are all random.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Yeah and I'm sick of hearing "If you're so good why can't you overcome it!?". That makes absolutely zero sense.

Top Bottom