• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Artest doing his thing on Durant. Good lord, I think I can say for fact that Westbrook is the most explosive/fastest PG on the open court. I've watched Rose, Rondo, Williams, and Paul play...Westbrook is just way too fast. I can't believe he went from one end of the court to the other, with the ball in 2 seconds flat.

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
cant believe what im seeing from the clippers
complete turnaround from years ago
cause they used to suck
griffin is really uplifting that team and making them play better
Not always terrible. In the 05/06 season, they made the playoffs, and actually beat Carmelo Anthony and the Nuggets in the first round, advancing to the Western Semi-finals. Their team featured Elton Brand, Kris Kaman, Cuttino Mobley, Sam Cassell, and Corey Maggette. For some reason people always forget about that team.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Man, that year was terrible for Laker fans. Blowing a 3-1 lead to Phoenix (had they had won, it would have been 50-50 between them and Clippers. And had they have beaten Clippers, well...Kobe had Dallas' number that year.)

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Not always terrible. In the 05/06 season, they made the playoffs, and actually beat Carmelo Anthony and the Nuggets in the first round, advancing to the Western Semi-finals. Their team featured Elton Brand, Kris Kaman, Cuttino Mobley, Sam Cassell, and Corey Maggette. For some reason people always forget about that team.
Man, that year was terrible for Laker fans. Blowing a 3-1 lead to Phoenix (had they had won, it would have been 50-50 between them and Clippers. And had they have beaten Clippers, well...Kobe had Dallas' number that year.)
That was the year people thought that the Clip show could pass the Lake show in talent.

Then, that never actually happened. Besides, who hasn't beaten the Nuggets in the postseason?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I only watched the first half. It was pretty sluggish IMO. After Heat made that 13-0 run, I thought they'd do their usual 3rd quarter thing and win. As much as I hate Bosh, he's definitely better than Anthony, Z, and Howard, so he would have been the difference maker.

Nevertheless, shoulda won this game. Home field, two of the three best players in the NBA on your team, 3 point shooters...bleh.

Lakers vs Mavs tomorrow...why do I have a feeling Mavs are gonna snap out of their funk?

7 games in 13 days for LA. Rough stretch.

Edit: Looking at Miami boxscore...3 starters combine for 2 points LOL. I can't believe LBJ and Wade accounted for 50/77 shots. That's terrible basketball.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lol, people are already saying that Denver is gonna try to trade with NJ anyways, given what they have to offer. So yeah, we'll see. Dallas might come up as a trade candidate soon too.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Lol, people are already saying that Denver is gonna try to trade with NJ anyways, given what they have to offer. So yeah, we'll see. Dallas might come up as a trade candidate soon too.
Wouldn't Dallas make a move on Andre Iguodala instead of Anthony? I mean, they do need a SF after Butler went down for the season, but the Mavs don't have the assets to net 'Melo, IMO.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Iguodala is overrated garbage. Athletic, but slow off the dribble, no jump shot, and average defender.

Melo? Give Nuggets a 10 mill expiring contract in Butler, a huge prospect in Beaubois, something else, draft pick, and done.

Mike Miller finally broke out...comment of the night from the espn forums.

"lashykid14 (1/22/2011 at 10:04 PM)
if mike miller keeps playin like this cmon we winnin the championship idc"

Yes, cause Miller is gonna be shooting 60% for the rest of the season.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Iggy is a great talent sir. His skills are lost in Philly. I'm not saying he's all-star caliber right this minute, but I'd want him for sure.

At any rate, Spurs got ***** tonight by the Hornets. When did NOH start winning games again and why wasn't I informed?

Also, outrebounded by 12 and we shot 10% worse from the floor. Ouch.

I'm starting to miss my boy Matty B.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, you guys were on a b2b, so it's understandable if the Spurs were to lay a goose egg. Hornets are one strange team. Started out 12-0, then were at one point 21-14, and now are 29-16.

So basically, they went 12-0, 9-14, 8-2. LOL.

Bonner too good. He's Brian Scalabrine's long lost brother.

On a college note, Texas beat #2 KU. Texas is looking so good this year. In my opinion a top 10 team without question, and their ceiling is final 4.

Edit: Nvm, Hornets were the ones on a b2b. Shame on you Spurs.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Nah, we were on a back to back too. NOH technically had one, but that Atlanta game can't be considered a game. lol

Texas looks damn good, that's for sure. Both Texas and Texas A&M went to Kansas and beat them and K State respectively. State of Kansas got some Texas ***-pounding.

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
Iggy is a great talent sir. His skills are lost in Philly. I'm not saying he's all-star caliber right this minute, but I'd want him for sure.
I dunno, every time I see Iguodala play, he's chucking up long 2 pointers and missing. Looks like he's averaging 14 points on game on a team that features him as the main offensive option, so he gets to do as much as he wants (and 14 ain't great when you're in that role). Reminds me of a Tayshaun Prince, but with more muscle mass. And he's been in the league 6 years, I think it's safe to say he's as good as he's gonna get. Especially for someone who relies so much on athleticism.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I'll agree he's reached his peak, all he can do now is gain more experience and such.

However, don't read too much into only 14 points, since that team is awful. He's shooting 45% from the field, and he averages just shy of 6 boards and assists a game, along with a 1.5 steals and less than 2 turnovers.

His only real drawbacks: Shooting 3's and making FT's. Dude's only shooting 66% from the charity stripe, which is awful.

Not saying he's spectacular, but that team is awful in general, he's just a bright spot.

I've always admired his defense and attitude though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Not necessarily reached his peak as his reluctance to work on his game. He's had more then enough time to improve his midrange game, and he could be such a good post player. Think Kobe, but a bit bigger and stronger.

And like you said, free throws as well.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Just a team going through a slump. Utah has had a history of being a bad road team (recent 5 game road trip, all losses), but I think they are just slumping. Kinda like how the Lakers went through one earlier in the season, and the Mavs went through one a few weeks ago.

Edit: Anyone realize the Knicks area lmost a .500 team? LOL! What a joke.

tko112

Smash Lord
so tonight they're naming the starters for the 2011 All-Star Game, and we all know who the starters are, but my question is:

why do you think should be in the All-Star Game

as for the starters, and this is confirmed:

Paul
Kobe
'Melo
Durant
Yao (but we know he ain't gonna play)

East:
Rose
D-Wade
LeBron
Amare
Howard

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Both starters look fine to me, but the reserves are so hard to think about. Gasol is gonna get in for sure, but I do think Bynum should be in there as well. Simply because the only other two centers I would consider are Chandler and Jefferson.

And the Heat played such an ugly game tonight...you figure a Knicks team that can't buy a bucket would be easy to beat.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The Heat just flat out suck right now. The team went from being average to one of the best (if not THE best) and now back to average yet again. The team took 5 steps forward and 7 steps back.

It's really depressing and hard to watch. This team is a roller coaster.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lol, and that's why the season means nothing but to get HC. Teams go through slumps and streaks. Hard to stay consistent.

Heck, Boston was playing .500 ball before entering the playoffs last year. Same with LA two years ago.

But it is a concern to see that in a tight game, you have to rely on a perimeter game. With no one inside to space the floor, it's hard for Wade and LBJ to get what they want. Granted Bosh was missing, and he's a great midrange shooter, but he doesn't do much inside.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The thing I hate most about this team is how freaking stagnant the offense is in crunch time. It's just Wade/Lebron going 1 on 1 with the occasional toss out for the open 3.

Those plays will work every now and then but when you're running the same one over and over and over you KNOW your offense flat out sucks. Spo relies on James and Wade's talent waaaaay too much. It's just terrible coaching.

Oh and Wade sucks major *** hole at free throws. I think he might have shot below 50% from the FT line tonight. If he hit a few more of those the Heat could have won.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, Wade is having a down year in free throws. You figure Spo could be a bit more creative with the offense. A D-Wade LBJ pick and roll would be ridiculous.

LBJ's post game was so bad lol.

I like how you're hating on Spo despite the fact a while back they won what...21/23?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm not going as far as saying to fire the guy (which many Heat fans are now suggesting). I just think his ability to coach the Heat offense is terrible. I had these thoughts even while the team was winning.

Tonight was just flat out terrible coaching by Spo.

-ZERO ball movement and just consisted of Wade and Lebron playing one on one for about 8 straight possesions without a single timeout.
-Then in the 3rd he benched Wade while he was hot but kept in Lebron even though he was ICE cold and playing stupid 1 on 1 basketball.
-Didn't have the balls to bench LeBron for his horrid offensive ball-hogging.

Maybe these numbers will help you out...

JA 8pts
Howard 0pts
Damp 0pts
House 0pts
Miller 0pts
Arroyo 0pts

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Miller had 0 points? Rofl, and them bandwagoners were getting on that whole "It's Miller time" gig.

Honestly though, I know what Spo was thinking. He wanted Wade to rest the last few minutes of the third, and a few minutes in the fourth so he could come back fresh. It's what Phil does to Kobe all the time, hot or not. Honestly, the ball movement was pretty awful when LBJ was on the floor. Couldn't help but think of the Cavs. I mean...that's what Mike Brown's offensive scheme was..."Give LeBron the ball".

Kinda funny how you rarely see a balanced coach. You have your good offensive coaches (D'Antoni, George Karl, Don Nelson) then you have your good defensive coaches (Rivers, Spo, Carlisle). You rarely see a balance between the two (Phil or Pop).

What makes up for a good defensive coach is one thing...a good point guard. Carlisle has Kidd. Rivers has Rondo. Spo has...???

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
always thought that spo is what he is...
a junior that was thrown into a team with talent that sometimes exceeds the range of his coaching ability

and defence wins championships. most of the time at the playoffs teams cant just pull away like they usually do in the regular season. you have to make stops and score when you can

oh and if this thread had tags
just to be funny id add the tag "miller light" lmfao (im kidding, im kidding)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I mean, now that I think about it, a lot of great defensive or great coaches that have won championships have had a good PG.

Doc Rivers = Rondo
Larry Brown = Billups
Greg Pop = Parker
Phil Jackson = Fisher

Those have been the four teams to win it all form 2000 to 2010. Fisher is the weakest out of all of them, but in his prime, he was a solid PG, and even today, he never turns the ball over and is super clutch. If anything, good PGs help command the floor, which can be very helpful to a defensive minded coach. I think it's a big reason why Tom Thibodeau is having great success with the Bulls. He's an amazing defensive coach, but it sure helps when Derrick Rose is commanding the offense.

LBJ is no Magic, and heck, while he is a good if not great passer, he's no Kidd, Rondo, Nash or CP3. He's not much of a floor general either like Tony Parker, Fisher, D-Williams and Billups. Wade is a scorer.

Edit: Why do I have a feeling both LA and Boston were looking past their matchups tonight for the Sunday showdown? Boston game got a bit ugly. KG elbowed Frye in the nuts, and there were 6 T's given out all at once.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Whether he stays or not I still don't see the Lakers making it out of the West.

My top 2 predictions for this years NBA finals are Spurs vs Celtics and Spurs vs Heat.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
West is wild though, so you can't rule anyone a favorite unfortunately. :(

I really don't see the Lakers making it this year though.

Also, watch out for the Magic in the East. They're the kind of team that can come strong.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lakers really do look tired and just...damn lazy. Lazier than last year. At this rate, they will not make it out. Gasol doesn't want to win, and Artest forgot how to dribble and shoot the ball. Rumors of a trade are circulating, but I think Lakers will wait until the deadline to pull the trigger. This team is the same from last year but better. They just need that will. It seems like Kobe and Odom are the only ones to consistently bring it every night.

I guess the toll of three straight finals appearances (essentially 100 games per season) is taking its effects on them. Though you can discredit that as well given the only people to play through those seasons were Kobe, Odom, Gasol, and Fish. The others are new arrivals or injured.

It is depressing to see how the Lakers didn't even get up for the Celtics game. I mean...they were there in the first half and in the second, they got all lazy. Sometimes, I feel really bad for Kobe despite being a 5x champ. How can you not want to win so bad? Especially against the Celtics?

With all that being said, if the Lakers can get their act together, they are probably the second most dangerous team to play in the playoffs next to Boston.
----------
Texas too good. A&M got SPANKED.
---------
I can almost dunk. Grabbing that rim and hanging on it cause I can.

tko112

Smash Lord
they just announced the reserves for the 2011 All-Star Game, and they are:

East:
Ray Allen (Boston)
Chris Bosh (Miami)
Kevin Garnett (Boston)
Al Horford (Atlanta)
Joe Johnson (Atlanta)
Paul Pierce (Boston)
Rajon Rondo (Boston)

West:
Tim Duncan (San Antonio)
Manu Ginobili (San Antonio)
Pau Gasol (L.A. Lakers)
Blake Griffin (L.A. Clippers)
Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas)
Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City)
Deron Williams (Utah)

so, who do you think is gonna win the All-Star game this year?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
^Very well thought out, provoking post there. /sarcasm

Yayyyy Bosh made it! Happy for him the most consistent player on the Heat team deserves it.

But in terms of who's going to win... It's gonna be close but I think the East will pull out the victory this year. Lebron/Wade are gonna go crazy. :p

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lakers continue to disappoint. Ron continues to play like a bum. His defense was good, but once again...how does an NBA player forget how to dribble and shoot a basketball.

Top Bottom