• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If SWF is garbage because of how the word "troll" is used inappropriately, then I guess we might as well go back to the old times and only use the word "gay" when people feel happy.

The word "troll" is a bit liberal around here (and overall on the internet these days), but it is what it is. Times change and you either go with it, or object it. -Shrugs-

With all that being said, I agree with you on your statements regarding TRG.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
lol you're right, I suppose my complaints about SWF could be applied to the rest of the internet as well.

Oh well, less time spent online just means more time to improve my jump shot :)

In other news, I'm joining the JJ Barea fan club.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Last time I respond to this troll. *cracks fingers*

Nah, there's no problem with insults. Honestly, I can understand, even though I don't agree with, a person being frustrated about their team losing. My problem with what TRG said is that instead of keeping the jabs about basketball, he decided to play it off like his frustration is a direct result of LAWs so called "substanceless posts", and then decides to

A) Label him a troll.

Wrong. If you go back and read our convo then you'd already know that I stated he was acting like one in that one, single post of his that made me strike back at his team. As for the rest of his posts, I clearly stated they were annoyances to me, which caused me to lash out on him in the first place with the "y u mad though" comment (my fault for being sensitive at the time). LAW knows what I'm talking about and he even said himself he saw what I meant by substantial. I already know LAW's not a troll. Can't say the same for you though, and you'll soon see why.

B) Compare his posting to other people's posts and shame him for not posting in the same manner.

This is where your lack of knowing absolutely anything about any of us comes in. This thread, for the most part, almost always consists of very little trash talk about each other's teams, but whenever they do occur, they are ALWAYS backed up with valid opinions and what not. If you're interested enough then just go back to the arguments between TBO and Numbers, TBO and KrazyGlue, etc. Whenever someone says something about another person's team, it's always out of honest opinion and never just an attempt to get a reaction out of someone... Like what YOU did earlier with your "nobody likes the Heat" comment. That's what TROLLS do.

So YES I do shame other NBA fans who take cheap shots at other people just to anger them, which is the reason why 99% of the internet involving NBA discussion is a joke now. I'll say it again... It's completely fine to dislike a team, but if you're gonna do it, make some sense out of it.

C) Say stupid **** like "Well if you keep saying stuff like that I'M NOT GONNA TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY" as if him taking a post seriously is some great honor that people should be afraid to lose.

If someone's gonna say stuff just to get me angry then no I'm not gonna take them seriously (which I thought he was trying to do). That wasn't supposed to to be an insult I was being flat out honest. lol

Acting superior to a person because you're mad about the result of a basketball game...yeah.

Crybaby.

I didn't know asking for a little respect after a game was acting superior. Yeah I was mad and could have acted a bit calmer but uhhh... NEWSFLASH if your trolling self never showed up in the first place everything would be fine by now. Seems as if the only reason you showed up in the first place was to cause drama. Why do you insist on calling me names for no reason? Oh yeah, because you're a troll.

U mad bro? :troll:

Sorry for having a life. The truth is, SWF is garbage. Want to know why? Because at some point the term "TROLL" became an acceptable label for anyone who says anything a person doesn't like. It's gotten so bad that calling somebody a troll is apparently a legitimate response to any point they may make.

"A `troll' is an individual who enjoys creating conflict on the internet. He or she creates and fuels arguments which upset other members of the online community.
Trolls thrive in the anonymous space that is the internet. Trolls crave attention from others, and they don't care whether the attention is positive or negative. For trolls, other users are not quite real people; they are abstract characters on the other side of a computer screen. Trolls don't feel bad about hurting the feelings of other people in the digital space."

Remember I only stated LAW was acting like a troll with his earlier post. I'm calling YOU out as a troll. Big difference.

But again, it doesn't matter, because the only reason he said "WHO ARE YOU" was to establish his own self appointed superiority. It's a a completely pointless thing to say because it has nothing to do with anything I said. Just some pathetic "OH I'VE NEVER HEARD OF YOU SO YOUR POINTS ARE SOMEHOW LESS VALID" nonsense that he uses to avoid talking about the fact that he's being a huge prick.

Were you not the one who responded with your big and almighty 2003 join date? Hypocrite much? :laugh: I wasn't laughing at you because I don't know you, troll, I was laughing at you (and still am) because of how inexplicably mad you are for seemingly no reason. Just look at yourself. Not even LAW took nearly as much offense as you are now. Calm down dude... Sheesh.

How this guy can call anyone else a troll or accuse their posts of lacking substance is beyond me.

I'll post it again just in case you feel like skimming over my posts once again.

"A `troll' is an individual who enjoys creating conflict on the internet. He or she creates and fuels arguments which upset other members of the online community.
Trolls thrive in the anonymous space that is the internet. Trolls crave attention from others, and they don't care whether the attention is positive or negative. For trolls, other users are not quite real people; they are abstract characters on the other side of a computer screen. Trolls don't feel bad about hurting the feelings of other people in the digital space."
So since I've already admitted to overreacting a bit, you pretty much have no reason to attempt to continue with this nonsense bickering, otherwise you're making it obvious you're just here to troll. Your posts are lacking substance though... So either way I'm most likely not taking you seriously anymore because I'm obviously your superior and you will obviously be upset since you lost my respect. cwutididthere? :troll:

Like you said yourself SWF is lame... So then leave. You won't be missed I promise.

Jane

Smash Hero
damn, frotaz straight roasted TRG. hard. lmao

but TRG came back with a surprisingly adequate and effective response. so kudos to you too.

well, that was fun. lol

Smash Master
absolutely disgusting officiating...I guess I'll watch Euro ball or somethin

It's just strange how one team can have more 3s taken and more free throws 5 games in a row.

Edit: that was from memory. Just looked it up. Miami actually took one more 3 this game. Still...

Edit2: Right now I'm trying to find the box score for the 2002 playoff games between the Kings and the Lakers. It's pretty telling to how the average basketball fan thinks that they're so hard to find.

Let's compare the personal foul discrepancy between the first 5 games of the 2002 WCF, the 2006 finals, and the 2011 finals.

2002 Lakers: 20 + 31 + 28 + 24 + 27 = 130 personal fouls
2002 Kings: 25 + 25 + 19 + 23 + 20 = 112 personal fouls
Seems like this series was evenly officiated through the first 5 games. Certainly it wasn't in favor of the Lakers judging by this metric.

2006 Heat: 25 + 23 + 23 + 26 + 26 = 123
2006 Mavs: 18 + 27 + 29 + 24 + 38 = 136
Heat got 10.5% more fouls

2011 Heat: 21 + 17 + 27 + 23 + 26 = 114
2011 Mavs: 22 + 20 + 14 + 18 + 20 = 94
Mavs get 21.2% more fouls

This is the data. I'll let you guys have at it how much Shaq gets hacked or which team shoots jumpshots or which team gets to the paint or w/e. Looking at this though, I can only speculate that the reason for so much less attention being drawn to the discrepency is that the heat are not well liked.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The only game in the 2002 WCF that caused much controversy was Game 6...other then that, Kings were getting the calls. Honestly, I'm not just gonna look at the numbers though, because I'd personally go by the tape, and see what's a foul and what's not.

Mavs fans might be calling it "revenge" for all the fouls they are getting now vs Miami, but aside from the ridiculous flopping from both sides the Heat...are being aggressive in a bad way. What I mean is too often they get caught grabbing, slapping at the wrist/arms, etc. I don't know how Dirk and Kidd do it, but they are the masters of stripping the ball while a person is on the drive. Most of their strips are clean.

However, I still do thin Dallas got some favorable calls in their way. That charge Chandler took while being in the restrictive area...that was such a bang bang play, you usually give it to the offensive player.

In any case, TRG, this is why the people don't like the Heat. I can't even defend this. So much for Wade being "classy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb1a0DTJDZQ

If Dirk was acting, he sure as hell did a better job of acting sick compared to LeBron's elbow from last year.

And what's that thing LBJ tweeted earlier in the year about Karma? You should ask Brian Cardinal.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
the quote james said after mavs had the comeback against okc is pretty karma material

"“I don’t want to sit here and be the coach of OKC but I seen a lot of things that could have been done better.” -LBJ

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
In any case, TRG, this is why the people don't like the Heat. I can't even defend this. So much for Wade being "classy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb1a0DTJDZQ

If Dirk was acting, he sure as hell did a better job of acting sick compared to LeBron's elbow from last year.

And what's that thing LBJ tweeted earlier in the year about Karma? You should ask Brian Cardinal.
Yeah I saw that video earlier I wasn't cool with that at all. Wade (before Bron showed up) was never this flat out arrogant and disrespectful. I'm starting to think LeBron's attitude has been rubbing off on him.

I'm done with LeBron's tweets and empty promises the only way he'll earn my respect back is by leaving everything out on the court in Game 6!

frotaz37

Smash Lord
You're mad, and you're a troll. Therefore, everything you say is invalid. Did I mention that you're mad, and you're a troll? Even though I just admitted I don't know you, I still somehow know intricate details about your emotional state and your motivation for posting. It couldn't have had anything to do with me or my bull****. It's because you're a troll, and you're mad. Mad troll.

Its now or never part 2
What I wonder about is the "never" part of this statement. If the heat do lose the finals, I wonder how many changes will be made to the team since the season will be considered a failure.

That video is pretty ridiculous though, considering that Dirk made every effort to avoid talking about his sickness. It was pretty much the media who decided to make it a story. When will the heat learn that talk like that just fires the Mavs up? They're just throwing wood on a fire with this type of behavior.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Changes will be tough depending on how the cba goes. Assuming they have a mid level exception to use (5 mill per year) they can pick up a guy like jr smith to back up wade.

For the record, both terry and stevenson have trash tasked this series as well, but at least their talk had some truth to it.

:phone:

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Speaking of the CBA, part of me hopes the owners get what they want. Seeing players get paid 30 million dollars to sit on the bench injured for years is sort of ridiculous.
But then part of me (the lazy part) kind of thinks that's awesome and hilarious.
Whatever happens, I just hope there's not a lockout.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Well that whole argument was entertaining for like 5 posts. Then, boring. :(

Why are people surprised at what happened in Game 5 though? The Mavs are one of the best 3-pt teams in the league. And every 20 games or so, JJ Barea explodes for 20 like this. If anything, this should've happened twice by now, and the series has been fairly well commanded by the Mavs. If Dirk hits that game winner in Game 3, this series is over.

That said, can the Mavs muster a great game against an extremely energized Heat team in these next two games? :\

I hope they can.

Frotaz, who are you? :p

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Why are people surprised at what happened in Game 5 though?
I can't speak for everyone, but I'm guessing a lot of the surprise comes from the expectations people had of the heat. I heard some people saying that they thought Lebron would go for 30 to 40 points...some people were even saying he'd top Kobe's 81.

Frotaz, who are you? :p
I... I hardly know, sir, just at present - at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.

Jane

Smash Hero
more lulz:

first the ref humping the air LMAO

also, last game i decided i absolutely love shawn marion. hes such a ****ing boss. and his ugly *** shot just makes me like him more for some reason.

and now for some heat love.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Last time I respond to this troll.
LOL why are you letting yourself get trolled by somebody who isn't even trolling? That's pretty embarrassing :/

also, last game i decided i absolutely love shawn marion. hes such a ****ing boss. and his ugly *** shot just makes me like him more for some reason.
I am also a huge Shawn Marion fan. He has the best nickname and like you said, his shot is so :rotfl: it makes me cringe every time, but for some reason I just love it. That gif is great too, I saw that moment during the game and was laughing pretty hard. I'm glad somebody turned it into an image.

Gotta love Jason Kidd, too. Crouching White Guy, Hidden Black Man. He's a class act, and at 38 years old, how can you not root for him?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
lmao at Bill Simmons

"Brian Cardinal: Balding/sweaty/doughy immortality. A role model and idol for a future generation of Haleys and Scalabrines."

"ABC & ESPN: Don't tell anyone, but if there's a Game 7, Disney makes an extra $110 billion (all numbers approximate). You might see everyone on Dallas foul out in Game 6. I think Tyson Chandler already has 2 fouls and the game doesn't start for another 48 hours."

"German cars: No longer the best thing about Germany. Huge loss for Mercedes, BMW, and Audi."

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Again, I thought you weren't responding to me anymore.
Why don't you stick to your convictions and stop spamming the thread?
Or are you such a little girl that you just HAVE to get in the last word in an argument you lost a long time ago, even if it means acting the exact same way you inaccurately criticized me for acting?

Come on son, stop embarrassing yourself :embarrass:

"Brian Cardinal: Balding/sweaty/doughy immortality. A role model and idol for a future generation of Haleys and Scalabrines."
LOL I am dying. Too funny.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I keep forgetting to mention this, but UC Berkley had been conducting an ongoing study about relationships and performance in various settings depending on how much your partner, teammates, friends touch you. Basically like, tap on the shoulder, high five, etc. Turns out for example in surveys, a person has a 60% chance of getting someone to do a survey compared to only 20% if he doesn't reach out and grab/handshake with him.

In the NBA, teammates that interact and touch each other the most are usually the teams with the most success.

The most popular LBJ jokes are that one, and "There's a special edition LBJ phone coming out, but it doesn't have a ring!"

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
That's right guys. *** grabs all around. :D

It's a fair assessment though. Realistically, all the cliches about sports are true for the best teams, like aggression/taunting/camaraderie... They're all characteristics of great teams.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
**** Lebron and Wade's immaturity with this whole mocking Dirk's sickness incident. They're pathetic. Hell, he's playing better than either of them and the Heat are losing, so they don't have the right to make fun of anyone.

lmao at Bill Simmons

This is the best comment ever. Scalabrine forever!!! Cardinal is hilarious and awesome too.

"ABC & ESPN: Don't tell anyone, but if there's a Game 7, Disney makes an extra $110 billion (all numbers approximate). You might see everyone on Dallas foul out in Game 6. I think Tyson Chandler already has 2 fouls and the game doesn't start for another 48 hours."
Lol. I wouldn't be surprised.

Jane

Smash Hero
i can't believe everyone cares so much that wade and bron were poking a little fun at dirk's sickness. they were just having some laughs, ha.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
But the problem is...it's not funny. Trash talk goes around all the time, but calling out someone for their injury or sickness is just wrong to me, unless they are clearly faking it.

Dirk hit it right on the spot by calling them "childish" and "ignorant".

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It is just the flu, but if you listen to what they said while making fun of it, they are basically calling him out for faking it or exaggerating it. That also means you're also calling out their pride and integrity. I mean, of all the players in the league, you would expect Dirk to over exaggerate it? And this is coming from two guys who tend to dramatize their injuries to the fullest extent. Whether it's LBJ's elbow or anytime Wade takes a "fall".

Sorry, but for grown men, that's just really weak.

Jane

Smash Hero
i did listen, but i don't recall anything they said that would suggest they thought he was faking it.

i just felt they were cracking a joke, not "calling him out on faking." and i see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
They don't have to flat out say "Hey we're making fun of Dirk because he was faking it". It's called common sense and logic. Why would you "joke" about that in the first place? Why would you, in front of the cameras have to do that? Why would you say "Did you hear me cough? I think I'm sick." and laugh about it? It's because you're making fun of him. Why would you make fun of him? Flu or Cancer, why would you make fun of someone being sick? Because they wern't making fun of him being sick, but making fun of how he went about the game and interviews by constantly coughing and sniffling. LeBron just ensued it after Wade's actions by saying "This weather man..."

Sorry, but in my head, the only reason I'd make fun of someone's injury or sickness would be if I thought he was faking it, and that's pretty much how everyone saw it.

"I actually did cough," Wade said. "And with the cameras being right there, we made a joke out of it because we knew you guys were going to blow it up. You did exactly what we knew."

Okay Wade...I have a better time believing if you flailing was legitimate rather than flopping.

Another joke I heard about LBJ

"LBJ should be a stand up comedian...oh wait, his 4th quarter performances are a joke."

Top Bottom