• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle At The Toy Trove! - December 15th - St. Catharines, ON, Canada.

Bing

Smash Master
Here's something to consider that we could certainly do. Now, after pools/Round Robin, not everyone is going to make the top 16 bracket round, this is where Amateur bracket comes into play. Those players who don't make the top 16 Bracket get their own seperate bracket. It's great for the newer players because in most cases, anyone has a chance, though in Toronto the skill level of the average player is improving so Amateur bracket isn't so Amateur, but for a newer region like Niagara, it would work great. Its worth a shot. And for cash prize pools, everyone put 2$ in to enter amateur and the top 2 get a prize. EX. 9 people dont make top 16, 9 people pay 2$, 18$ pot. 1st gets 12$ and 2nd gets 6. Something else to think about for the future, we could impliment it here.

TPrime1

Smash Rookie
That sounds like a possibility. I do similar things for my big magic tournaments. Once we get to the elimination rounds, we start offering drafts for eliminated players to enter.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Bing definitely introduce the amateur bracket for those who don't qualify out of pools. Don't start it until about 40% of the Melee bracket is done so that set ups are being utilized to their fullest. Though the concept of the amateur bracket having a pay in amount is absolutely out of line with the entire concept of this tournament, and should be avoided like you said until we host another tournament where the entry fee contributes towards a pot to be split between the top 3.

Furthermore, it seems sauga is coming. If we have players from other cities we need to ensure that they are seeded regionally as well to avoid early clashes between locals.

Brad you need to stop referring to Niagara as "new". We really aren't new at all lmao.

Rice2Go I hope not!

Bing

Smash Master
Its not that we're new, but as you even noted in the new Niagara Thread, its our Revival, so me saying we're new, is more of a "We're coming back into this," lol. Also, seeding shouldnt be too bad for the out of towns people I generally know who should be where. It'll be more difficult for when Im seeding the people from the store. Pretty sure Im going to ask everyone like 2-3 questions at the door if I dont know who they are just so I can get a very rough idea of their knowledge.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Its not that we're new, but as you even noted in the new Niagara Thread, its our Revival, so me saying we're new, is more of a "We're coming back into this," lol. Also, seeding shouldnt be too bad for the out of towns people I generally know who should be where. It'll be more difficult for when Im seeding the people from the store. Pretty sure Im going to ask everyone like 2-3 questions at the door if I dont know who they are just so I can get a very rough idea of their knowledge.

Gotchya brother. Asking people at the door is way too formal. You always want to be yourself to people you don't know attending tournaments and try and creating an inviting atmosphere. Play a friendly or two with someone you don't know, and then ask them once they're in the building all settled in.

Also it's best to be as non-vocal about inside jokes/advanced references or deep cultural smash behavior at tournaments where we're trying to create a fun environment for people of all skill levels. Confusion isn't something we want our new players to experience and we should work towards making real long-term sustainable friendships at this event. People we can invite to our houses to play 1v1s and teach them things, or just enjoy scrimming each other. I just can't stress it enough how important it is to put aside everything we know about smashboards and Melee culture for a day and be humanly human as possible for anyone who might not feel they fit in or are capable of getting where others are.

Loose

TPrime1

Smash Rookie
Though the concept of the amateur bracket having a pay in amount is absolutely out of line with the entire concept of this tournament, and should be avoided like you said until we host another tournament where the entry fee contributes towards a pot to be split between the top 3.
This is actually a good point. It would be difficult to offer a cash pool to those being eliminated when the main contenders don't get one.

Bing

Smash Master
Gotchya brother. Asking people at the door is way too formal. You always want to be yourself to people you don't know attending tournaments and try and creating an inviting atmosphere. Play a friendly or two with someone you don't know, and then ask them once they're in the building all settled in.

Also it's best to be as non-vocal about inside jokes/advanced references or deep cultural smash behavior at tournaments where we're trying to create a fun environment for people of all skill levels. Confusion isn't something we want our new players to experience and we should work towards making real long-term sustainable friendships at this event. People we can invite to our houses to play 1v1s and teach them things, or just enjoy scrimming each other. I just can't stress it enough how important it is to put aside everything we know about smashboards and Melee culture for a day and be humanly human as possible for anyone who might not feel they fit in or are capable of getting where others are.

Loose

Well of course I'm going to play friendlies with people I don't know, I guess I'll just do randomized pools for this first one.

As for the amateur bracket, I wouldnt suggest a cash prize for them only. I was thinking if anything that we could just do more store credit? But that would be up to Todd.

Niko_K

Smash Master
You don't have to do randomized pools either. What you can do is use TIOs regional seeding method to determine the pools by separating local clusters into their own region on TIO. Example being the crowd from Millers Smashfest would be a region, Brock U would be a region, Casuals, Falls, Sauga. This will ensure even distribution of both players and skill across the pools, and eliminate the possibility of playing against those you came with in first round pools. Furthermore it promotes playing with individuals you've never met before by forcing opposing regions to play with each other. Therefore utilizing opportunities to gain experience against different players, their styles, their characters, and ultimately fulfilling the goal and purpose of a tournament as a whole.

Brad we should look into sponsorship from Mixed Styles in the form of custom T-Shirts once a few monthlies pass. We can use the funds to help put towards equipment for recording and other important things.

I hope we can turn this into something that can gain municipal recognition and attract a large demographic of youth within the region. We should seriously consider hosting fundraiser events in the halls of The Fairview Mall with The Toy Trove and others as a sponsor, alongside other events to both advertise and help.

Reason I said the last part about events is because that's actually the exact nature in which a lot of the original smash community had met each other. There was a Wii Bowling promotional fund raiser at The Fairview Mall where there were raffle tickets to be bought for a draw and a competition of Wii Bowling to win a Gift Certificate. This attracted a lot of us nerds and we learnt the math of that game inside out to achieve near perfect scores, if not perfect. Amongst those nerds was Percon (Max Manco) who was a board reader here before most of us, Pyrnight, Trevor, KC18, and a few others who now are a part of our scene. Percon used this event to advertise the first Smash tournament this city has seen at the Quality Inn.

The relevance?

Percon didn't know a single person besides Pyrnight at that event, and was a player of advanced skill and awareness as a result of exposure to SmashBoards. Through his efforts and social demeanor he was able to attract 65 people to attend a Melee tournament at the Quality Inn which followed the MBR ruleset, and was a fun time for all who attended.

This is the magnitude of involvement I want to see our scene strive towards. Perhaps we can collaborate with individuals from certain high schools such as Stamform Collegiate, Sir Winston, Laura Secord, Collegiate, and others to run tournaments in their schools for the students themselves. We run the tournament MBR ruleset and make that ruleset accessible very easily throughout the gym they play in. They'll have a great time amongst themselves and we can simply link everyone there to the boards, the local Niagara thread, and the next upcoming event as well. Those who want to keep that experience going will try to meet up with people to play again, and that's what our goal should be here.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Always a great addition I can bring my laptop unless your recording setup refers to the entirety of what's required lmao

Niko_K

Smash Master
Jethrotex if you manage to make it out with that car we have to get in a bunch of matches :)

Perfect :D Brad

Brad / Todd... is there any way we can extend the starting time earlier in the day for administration, bringing set-ups, meeting others, and friendly play / warm up?

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
Jethrotex if you manage to make it out with that car we have to get in a bunch of matches :)

Perfect :D Brad

Brad / Todd... is there any way we can extend the starting time earlier in the day for administration, bringing set-ups, meeting others, and friendly play / warm up?
I'll be at the tourney Saturday if you want to play then.

TPrime1

Smash Rookie
We now have flyers being handed out in EB Games stores around St. Catharines.

Bing

Smash Master
Btw everyone, if you could PLEASE list if you are bringing a TV/Cube setup what ever it is that you can bring, that would be great. a few more TVs would be fantastic for sure :)

Windrose

Smash Lord
i'm going from hamilton. so you can take the go bus to mcmaster and i'll pick you up. if you still want to shotty :)

TPrime1

Smash Rookie
Just to give more details about food.

There will be Pizza on sale for the break. We also sell drinks and snacks (chips, chocolate bars, popcorn, etc.)

Across the street is a diner called Christina's, which is great for all day breakfast, and has good burgers as well, but they close at 4:00pm.
There is a Smokes Poutinerie, Pizza Pizza, U Need A Pita, and over half a doezen cafe's, all within 5 - 10 minutes walking distance.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
We now have flyers being handed out in EB Games stores around St. Catharines.
this is the kind of **** that needs to happen more for smash tournaments lol.
smash never seems to attempt to reach out to people that are outside of the community whatsoever.

Also I'm curious, does only first place get store credit?

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
K, Windrose and I are coming. Iunno about HammerTime, he needs to message Windrose.

Also, I could bring a recording thing. And maybe stream? I don't know if there's stable internet at this place, and even so I don't really want to worry about changing the names and such. If you want to handle that Bing, I can just set it up.

Windrose

Smash Lord
bing, do you need setups? i don't want to bring setups unless i have to. that's 2011 windrose's job.

iCtrlFood

Smash Rookie
Hi There,

Im going to this, this Saturday, hope to see a great turnout. I saw a message about using Club la Salle as a venue. Well it usually cost 300-500 $. A church group of mine books out the hall for a get together and this would be an awesome place for a Smash Tourney.

TPrime1

Smash Rookie
this is the kind of **** that needs to happen more for smash tournaments lol.
smash never seems to attempt to reach out to people that are outside of the community whatsoever.

Also I'm curious, does only first place get store credit?

No, store credit is not just for first place. There is a $50.00 gift card for the Pen Centre Mall that will only go to first place. First place will also receive store credit, and additional prizes in store credit will be handed out to the runners up. Brad commented on the prize structure in his original post at the beginning of this thread. He listed the percentages that will be given out. So, how much exactly is based on how many enter.

TPrime1

Smash Rookie
K, Windrose and I are coming. Iunno about HammerTime, he needs to message Windrose.

Also, I could bring a recording thing. And maybe stream? I don't know if there's stable internet at this place, and even so I don't really want to worry about changing the names and such. If you want to handle that Bing, I can just set it up.
Regardless of who brings it, yes we have stable internet in the store. I have a wireless router and I can give the password to whoever is setting it up.

Bing

Smash Master
I dont really know if a stream is necessary but it could be interesting and fun to have. Thats up to you. Recording setups however are always good to have though so If you'd like to bring one, that would be cool too.

As for setups in general, When I was talking with Todd the other day, I figured that we'd need a minimum of 8 TVs which I believe we were almost at. So if anyone really, could bring a few tvs, that would be appreciated, don't stress about it though. There's a good amount of space for TVs, so If we can get setups going just for friendlies that would be good. I'd hate to have a shortage of TVs.

As for Kason's comment about the flyers and such, I also think this great, Todd(TPrime) has done a fantastic job with trying to attract more attention to this event, so I'm hoping and honestly believing we'll have a decent turn out.

Also, about Club La Salle, that's completely unrelated. Thats a tournament that Niko and I might run in the summer... so if anything address that in the Niagara Region boards in the Regional Section.

So basically:
Stream: Not necessary, would probably be a lot of work to bring, especially for a tournament we're not too sure on the turnout.
Recording Setups: Similar to the above, but would still like to have.
TVs: If anyone could bring like 2-3 tvs outside of the ones we already have promised, that would be great. Cubes should be fine, but hey, there small so maybe bring one or two.

oats_

Smash Apprentice
I'm bringing 3 friends with me. We are all casual players, none of us have been to a tournament before, and I'm the only one who "slightly" knows how to play (L-Cancel, SHFFL, wavedash etc). Gonna be fun :)

Niko_K

Smash Master
I'm bringing a gamecube and copy of melee, and at least 2 but aiming at 4-5 tvs.

We need memory cards with full game data, that is a must!

This is starting to look hella good! More outreach to be done for sure :)

Excited am I ever.

Also Bing Only in Niagara for July is 100% go at Club La Salle and I already have the funds to pay for the venue.

Top Bottom