• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle for Honor - Las Cruces, NM, Feb. 20th

RPGfan2005

Smash Cadet
OMG! the excitement is killing...

i'm set up and ready to go at the aggie underground

updated with my number on the first post...

915-412-2002

RPGfan2005

Smash Cadet
told ya, we were going to get pwned...

not to mention we didn't even finish the tourney...

Epic fail...

oh well...

I had fun! ^_^

tw1n

Smash Champion
Well sinz from what I heard, they didn't get enough money from venue fees to cover the venue cost. So he took it out of the prize money pot. Then I heard that 1st place was only getting $25 and 2nd place and below got nothing. So all of ABQ got refunds and left after finding this out. This was after melee doubles finished. But again. That's just what I heard. First hand witnesses always tell a better story.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
told ya, we were going to get pwned...

not to mention we didn't even finish the tourney...

Epic fail...

oh well...

I had fun! ^_^
well i knew i wasnt going to win...
but i didnt think they were ALL going to be that good...
i mean wtf we both lost to a LINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh well...

anyways i did win a few matches and it was really fun...
it was a good change...
there is only one person down here in LC that is any challlenge and having people from other places made it really fun...
Looking forward to improving ;)

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
You guys could always come down to albuquerque more.

Of all of you though DJ was the one that impressed me the most. Not because his peach was decent, but because he had the right mindset and he was friendly like no other. your marth shadow was good but needs more experience. Same with you RPG and your falco.

NEXT TIME YOU RUN A TOURNEY:

-be less concerned with playing friendlies and more concerned with actually getting the tourney going'

-Write down the entrants one at a time, what events they're competing in, and take the money AT THE SAME TIME! Not money, then everything else later (it was extremely unorganized).

-Let everyone know what the prizes are going to be before the tourney starts after you collect the money.

-And stay consistent with payout promises. Thats what pissed me off the most was when RPG said that first place got 20 and everone else got nothing despite the entrants and when I mentioned the payout percentages he just pointed saying thats what Phoenix said and not him so it wasn't that way.

-take a venue fee from everyone who goes into the venue to play.

-And again try to actually get the tourney going on time and don't stop to play friendlies when everyone is waiting for their matches to be called.

-be organized and have a plan of how it's going to be run

-and lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help. Especially when it's offered.

You guys have potential and this was a good learning experience for you. But for us that drove nearly 4 hours with the promise of a good turnout and good payout, it was a waste of money and a waste of a day. I love playing smash with new people but this was the worst tourney I've ever been to. Don't take this as me hating you guys or talking bad about you. I like you guys just fine, but learn from this and improve.

Anyways <3 to El paso. See you guys next weekend.

Dj you were too cool.

And Shadow Phoenix and RPG, keep imrpoving so next time you can get us lower than 6 stocks on teams :p Watch videos, get a scene growing, and keep improving. But until you guys can prove to us that you're ready and will have a good turnout, I don't think Albuquerque will be going to any of your tournies. But again feel free to come to ours, you will improve by doing so

:link:

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
You guys could always come down to albuquerque more.

Of all of you though DJ was the one that impressed me the most. Not because his peach was decent, but because he had the right mindset and he was friendly like no other. your marth shadow was good but needs more experience. Same with you RPG and your falco.

NEXT TIME YOU RUN A TOURNEY:

-be less concerned with playing friendlies and more concerned with actually getting the tourney going'

-Write down the entrants one at a time, what events they're competing in, and take the money AT THE SAME TIME! Not money, then everything else later (it was extremely unorganized).

-Let everyone know what the prizes are going to be before the tourney starts after you collect the money.

-And stay consistent with payout promises. Thats what pissed me off the most was when RPG said that first place got 20 and everone else got nothing despite the entrants and when I mentioned the payout percentages he just pointed saying thats what Phoenix said and not him so it wasn't that way.

-take a venue fee from everyone who goes into the venue to play.

-And again try to actually get the tourney going on time and don't stop to play friendlies when everyone is waiting for their matches to be called.

-be organized and have a plan of how it's going to be run

-and lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help. Especially when it's offered.

You guys have potential and this was a good learning experience for you. But for us that drove nearly 4 hours with the promise of a good turnout and good payout, it was a waste of money and a waste of a day. I love playing smash with new people but this was the worst tourney I've ever been to. Don't take this as me hating you guys or talking bad about you. I like you guys just fine, but learn from this and improve.

Anyways <3 to El paso. See you guys next weekend.

Dj you were too cool.

And Shadow Phoenix and RPG, keep imrpoving so next time you can get us lower than 6 stocks on teams :p Watch videos, get a scene growing, and keep improving. But until you guys can prove to us that you're ready and will have a good turnout, I don't think Albuquerque will be going to any of your tournies. But again feel free to come to ours, you will improve by doing so

On behalf of all of us WE DEEPLY APOLOGIZE FOR THE TROUBLE THAT WE CAUSED YOU.
this tourney went nothing like we had expected and you have every right to hate us...
all i can say is that i am grateful that i played you guys and will try even harder now to get better...

RPGfan2005

Smash Cadet
hmm... we could play the blame game...

but whatever...

The Venue Fee was extremely high...
we didn't get enough people to pay for it, I was expecting 40 or more entrants...
40 * $3 = $120 which was what the venue was charging.

So I did take money from the pot to pay for the venue,
but what I saw was that you guys went souly for the money.

Winner takes all would have been fine,
but you guys didn't think it was enough...
which it really wasn't, and I apologize...

but I wanted to play...
I love smashing...

and the tourney was going to end till midnight...
you guys left at 4PM

there was enough time to play friendlies and tourney matches.

I was following the schedule. Singles started at 6PM
and when we went to ABQ, we left at 11PM
and got to LC at 1AM the next day...

We lost around 200 dollars when we went...
so don't complain about money issues,
I didn't care when I lost my 200 bucks,
I had a lot of fun playing smash!

you guys are just too greedy!

like I said... I understand it might have been a little unorganized, it was our first tourney,
ShadowPhoenix told you 60 people were coming to convince you to come,
It apparently worked, Dukar told me that's the only reason why he came.

So I say...
it was an ok tourney, I gave you what you wanted, we all had fun, had some good matches
I agree it could have been better, but with time, little by little, it will get better.

Next time we'll get sponsored, and i'll guarantee a POT BONUS for sure, and get a cheaper or free venue.

sounds fair?
what I don't think is fair, is that you stated:
"I don't think Albuquerque will be going to any of your tournies"

that to me, is being unfair, please understand ABQ

RPGfan2005

Smash Cadet

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Just be completely honest with stuff bro. Smash has a great community :)

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
It's not that we're greedy. It's that we aren't rich and we were falsely told info (alfo being accidental). None of us are rich or have the money to make trips like that. And having a winner take all tourney for 20 bucks isn't very fair.

As well no where in the OP did you mention times, schedules, etc. We were told it starts at 11 am so we woke up early to make sure we weren't late only to find out it starts 2 hours later.

RPG said:
you guys are just too greedy!
Before I go I will just say this. I love playing smash. To me it's like my escape from the harsh world called real life. But I never go to a tourney expecting to win or to make money. Because truth is usually I know people there are better than me and I won't turn a profit. To say that we play just for the money is ignorant. If all we did was care about that then we would find a more productive and money making past time.

RPG said:
what I don't think is fair, is that you stated:
"I don't think Albuquerque will be going to any of your tournies"
You seem to misunderstand what I said. I said until you can prove that you are experienced at hosting local tourneys and can run a smooth event, it wouldn't be worth it for us to make the trip. We like you guys just fine, but we can't make 3 and a half hour drives only to play 6 people and play in an unorganized
event. It's not fun when I have to stop playing my friendlies to start running your tournament because you were off playing in a corner and not making sure everyone is set up properly (I wasn't even put in the melee singles brackets remember?). So try running local tourneys, get a scene growing down there, gain experience in both playing competitively and hosting events, and then give us a call and invite us down. We'll be more than happy to partake then.

I will say this one last thing then I'm done with this thread. Take this tourney as a learning experience. I can't emphasize this enough. you guys have potential, but no hosting experience. You as a TO have a job to do. You can't pause the tournament or delay starting it just because you want to play more friendlies. For you your first priority should be running it, then playing matches. Most TO's don't even get to play friendlies because it is such a big responsibility.

See you guys in El Paso :D

tw1n

Smash Champion
Well stated Twin A.

I hope to see you all in El Paso. What you can do is go there and not only play for fun and all, but also take mental notes on how everything is done. Running tournaments is a rather hard thing trust me. But you gotta start small first. I think you trid to hard for a big tournament.

Top Bottom