• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle for WTF

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
So R.O.B. is the new WTF character...

Which character is more effing out of place (in a good way mind you), Game and Watch or R.O.B.?

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I still say Game & Watch personally. R.O.B. has more of a vintage feel to him, representing a core aspect of Nintendo history. Where as G&W was like this almost completely forgotten era of gaming that they somehow molded a character out of. That's another point for him to me - R.O.B. already had a model to go on, this guy is like someone's childhood nightmare.

Is it just me or is there something inherently sinister about being monochrome?

Red7z7

Smash Apprentice
g&w is alright but can get boring very easy!
nahhhhh, no way. hes got so much character to him; every move is totally interesting-- I could never get bored of him unless its just from loss frustration. he keeps me entertained, whereas charcters whos entire moveset is kicks and punches is really what bores me.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Haha, I still say Game & Watch personally. R.O.B. has more of a vintage feel to him, representing a core aspect of Nintendo history. Where as G&W was like this almost completely forgotten era of gaming that they somehow molded a character out of. That's another point for him to me - R.O.B. already had a model to go on, this guy is like someone's childhood nightmare.

Is it just me or is there something inherently sinister about being monochrome?
How are handhelds a forgotten era of gaming? The Game & Watch games were very popular at that time(selling over 43 million units worldwide) and even now serve as a basis for Nintendo's handhelds. The most current handheld; the Nintendo DS is based off the Game & Watch Multiscreen Series.

-Knight

Primetime84

Smash Cadet
Hmm I think this game will do the same for what G&W did for Melee. When Melee came out we all pretty much got a history lesson on G&W from Melee and then probably all went out to refresh our memories on what the Game and Watch handheld systems were all about. Now we will all get a re-education of how ROB is an ancient artifact just like G&W. And maybe a new generation will come to appreciate ROB cuz I def think the handheld Game and Watch systems r the **** now!

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
GaW was WTF when he was first introduced in Melee. We've gotten used to how awesome he is. Time to pass the torch.

Lag

Smash Journeyman
I think Mr. Game and Watch still keeps his title of WTF, because he's just plain weird...to a new person.

One who first chooses Mr. Game and Watch will be like (you guessed it): What the [insert whatever here]?!

Honestly, the first time I picked up Mr. Game and Watch I was like: Where the hell did this thing come from?! After awhile, I adapted and adopted his random ways.

So long story short, I believe Mr. Game and Watch still has his WTF attribute to new people due to these points:
  • His name
  • Movesets (ranging from turtles to parachutes to sausages, doesn't it just say, huh??? to you?)
  • 2 demensional
  • Beeping sounds
  • Weird
  • Random

The WTF aspect leaves an impression on new people, but not so much for people who seen or used Mr. Game and Watch in Melee...since we heard countless beeps and seen countless sausages...

Lipucd

Smash Apprentice
I think Mr. Game and Watch still keeps his title of WTF, because he's just plain weird...to a new person.

One who first chooses Mr. Game and Watch will be like (you guessed it): What the [insert whatever here]?!

Honestly, the first time I picked up Mr. Game and Watch I was like: Where the hell did this thing come from?! After awhile, I adapted and adopted his random ways.

So long story short, I believe Mr. Game and Watch still has his WTF attribute to new people due to these points:
  • His name
  • Movesets (ranging from turtles to parachutes to sausages, doesn't it just say, huh??? to you?)
  • 2 demensional
  • Beeping sounds
  • Weird
  • Random

The WTF aspect leaves an impression on new people, but not so much for people who seen or used Mr. Game and Watch in Melee...since we heard countless beeps and seen countless sausages...
...That and a robot is understandable regardless of it being old or not...

ROB is cool...G&W is RANDOM.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

• His name
  • 2 demensional
  • Beeping sounds
  • Weird
  • Random

And there is also the fact that he has less movement frames than anyone else in the entire game! Heck, Wario himself wants to imitate his walking/running style! Non-conformists are are radical and incredible, which is why I like playing as characters such as Mr. Game & Watch.;):cool:

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
How are handhelds a forgotten era of gaming? The Game & Watch games were very popular at that time(selling over 43 million units worldwide) and even now serve as a basis for Nintendo's handhelds. The most current handheld; the Nintendo DS is based off the Game & Watch Multiscreen Series.

-Knight
Did I say handhelds were forgotten? No, I said Game & Watch WAS until they brought him back into the spotlight... why be argumentative just to argue? I'm well aware how much impact they had, but not many people remembered G&W till they made his character in Melee. That was my only point.

DQP

Smash Ace
game and watch is more of a WTF character to me. everyone knew ROB when he was announced, but in melee when game+watch was revealed, everyone thought, "whos game+watch" or "what's he doing here".

G-X

Smash Apprentice
So R.O.B. is the new WTF character...

Which character is more effing out of place (in a good way mind you), Game and Watch or R.O.B.?
ROB is not very WTF (he was in that one Mario Kart, right?).

Wolf is the real WTF character.

Seriously, what the ****?

T0MMY

Smash Master
lol game and watch is iconic to Nintendo's past, ROB is a toy that was released for the nes and made little difference
Quit making yourself look so dumb about video game history and go read my R.O.B. Guide (Owner's Manual). Without R.O.B. there'd be no Smash Bros., no Nintendo, and probably no video games ever.

Mule50

Smash Cadet
Aww, I was expecting a video...

Well on-topic: I had never heard of either R.O.B. or G&W before SSB but I think that G&W is more of a WTF character because he's 2D and doesn't seem to fit into the game at all. If I were to know nothing about smash it would seem that R.O.B. is just some random robot character while G&W is a 2D flatlander living in our 3D world.

DQP

Smash Ace
i must admit i was surprised when ROB was announced as a character, but i think he deserved the spot, because he had a very important part in nintendo's history (however bad his games may be). so did game+watch, but he is more of a wtf for me.

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
Mario is the most wtf character (j/k)

Seriously though, I'd have to say ROB is the more wtf just because he technically isn't a video game character (he made cameos, but never starred as a character in his own game). At least G & W is from a video game. Making ROB a playable character is like making Wii Remote or something like that playable.

Top Bottom