• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Bayonetta Technique Compendium and Q&A

ElMoro995

Smash Cadet
Sort of. To get the second Up B or Uair after Up B, you have to hit with a certain hitbox. There is a part of witch twist, that if you catch them in it, they won't be sent to the ABK distance.
are you talking about the first upb? I've never managed to connect an uair after the first upb

M32

Smash Rookie
NNID
Malvagio
Bayonetta's recovery is crap, but the wall jump is godly. You can stuff in 4 while recovering.
Worth considering a DH pick or an Omega with walls

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
This is a dumb question, but how do I do a Dbk and a Ubk? I can only seem to do the normal Abk. I've tried inputing a abk and then immediately try and hold down and to the left/right but it changes to witch time. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
This is a dumb question, but how do I do a Dbk and a Ubk? I can only seem to do the normal Abk. I've tried inputing a abk and then immediately try and hold down, but it changes to witch time. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
Please check out the Metagame thread for the input. There are three variations of side B. Heel kick(grounded) ABK (normal aerial) and DABK (Aerial, but with a special input.) the input is the haduken input. Plus, you can buffer it.

E ElMoro995 you have to hit with a specific hitbox. I haven't been able to do it consistently yet, hopefully someone will charm us with the info soon.

Last edited:

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
I've seen this in quite a few videos and I have been experiencing this myself where the 2nd ABK won't "combo" for random reasons.

I have set up a scenario in training as Bayonetta and DK and set DK to 41%. After I do up B (without bullet arts) it gets DK to 49%, if I follow up with a side B, it randomly gets Dk to either 55% or 56%, if it gets him to 55% the 2nd side B will combo if not DK will get out of hitstun before I can connect the 2nd side B.

Cannot figure out what is causing this since as far as I am aware AI set to "stop" will not DI and I am not holding onto the button for bullets. Maybe its because I'm on the 3DS version maybe since I dont have access to my wii u.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
So for some reason, one of my combos only works on the 3ds version and not the wii u version.

Training mode against Pit at 45%, dtilt, witch twist, ABK, jump witch twist, ABK, bair works on the 3ds version but on the wii u version, i can never get bair to connect (up air connects tho)

any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Sonicninja115

So for some reason, one of my combos only works on the 3ds version and not the wii u version.

Training mode against Pit at 45%, dtilt, witch twist, ABK, jump witch twist, ABK, bair works on the 3ds version but on the wii u version, i can never get bair to connect (up air connects tho)

any idea what I'm doing wrong?
I believe the Bair depends on them DI'ing into the ABK. I know the Bair will true, but it depends on DI.

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
I believe the Bair depends on them DI'ing into the ABK. I know the Bair will true, but it depends on DI.
so the wii u training mode pit is DI'ing while the 3DS one isn't?

i thought the training dummy never DI'ed lol

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
How do you Up-B twice in a row? I know about the doublejump cancel up b to jump to up b trick, but that isnt two witch twists in a row, and you also did three witch twists in one jump. Could you explain?
With Bayonetta you would want to Up-B first before using your second jump then you can up again. Try this: jump> Up-B>Jump>Up-B just to get the idea.

SameOldG

Smash Rookie
Been in the lab and think I may have found an approach mixup, I like the bullet art nair but sometimes i feels a bit predictable /unsafe so when I'm right above the ground I "cancel" with ABK or Witch twist. Just trying it out now but it would be cool if it could be confirmed by someone else!

ThatStrangeDoll

Smash Cadet
i havent seen anyone say this yet, but you JCWT with every WT as long as you still have your second jump. you get a total of 4 jumps and 2 up b.

if everything is done correctly, this means that using our double jump is the VERY LAST thing we should be doing, ever. this also means that bayo is almost ungimpable since if you string her moves correctly you should be able to recover from almost anywhere off the stage, and since you still have your double jump, you can keep on JCWT every time you get hit.

JCWT may also make her BnB combos even better when killing off the top, as JCWT the second WT will make you go higher then you can jump and use an aerial to finish the job.

Astra Waifucon

Smash Cadet
After a lot of testing, my friend and I have determined that Bayonetta gets a guaranteed 50/50 out of uthrow at 0% on ZSS, and most likely heavy characters/fast fallers, haven't tested on them yet.

uthrow -> if they jump you get witch twist
uthrow -> if they air dodge you get heelslide

Either way you get a lot of damage. This doesn't work at even 5% as ZSS can DI enough out that you cannot get Witch Twist, haven't tested the %s between 0 and 5 though.

Her throws do not seem to set up at any percent in almost any condition no matter how hard we try. I wager there is some stuff against super heavies, but even then I'm sure there's not much.

strike42

Smash Journeyman
No clue if this is useful/how useful it could be. But you can get a footstool off of a jump canceled witchtwist from the ground.

Also what's the timing for double witch twist combo?

aka upb into upb

Last edited:

dskank

Smash Journeyman
so i've noticed that connecting bayonetta's fair results in either a slight "pop up" effect for both you and the opponent (good) or you continue falling normally and the opponent falls out (bad). why is this and how can i ensure the pop up effect?

and it's not related to your opponents di either, cause it happens in training mode all the time.

Lizam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lizzam
Sort of. To get the second Up B or Uair after Up B, you have to hit with a certain hitbox. There is a part of witch twist, that if you catch them in it, they won't be sent to the ABK distance.
Are you or anyone else able to explain anymore on this? This is something I'm noticing a lot of players doing in their combo vids, yet my Witch Twists always hit them the ABK distance.

Frido19

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4914-4153-7940
Switch FC
SW-4000-0450-7654
I just found out that when you Double Jump Cancel(DJC) Up-b, it gives you a slight boost to your Up-b. I have also found out that you can DJC your first Up-b, so you can essentially recover from super deep or horizontally. For example you can DJC Up-b, Side-b, DJC Up-b, wall jump, double jump back to the stage.

Honestly its not that broken of a recovery because it is very linear and you can potentially be gimped early, which makes it an even trade off.

Last edited:

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
Are you sure? You might be confused with WT2. The only way to connect WT1>WT2 is to get the ~4 Frame input (DJC>WT) regardless of hitbox.

If I'm wrong and there actually is a different hitbox on WT1 that doesn't send them the ABK distance I'd love to know details.

Sonicninja115

Are you sure? You might be confused with WT2. The only way to connect WT1>WT2 is to get the ~4 Frame input (DJC>WT) regardless of hitbox.

If I'm wrong and there actually is a different hitbox on WT1 that doesn't send them the ABK distance I'd love to know details.
There is a random hit box that will do it, but it isn't reliable. I found the answer in another thread, so the four frame thing is confirmed. Also, there is a random hitbox that doesn't stun the opponent, but does 9%. It's really weird.

Astra Waifucon

Smash Cadet
We also found out that consistently, Baynetta can combo utilt to ABK at 30-80% against Sheik. Depending on positioning, this can work up to 100%. So yeah uptilt kill confirms basically. Just make sure to not hit with the small sweetspot that combos into the second hit, you just want the one in front of her.

AusGremlinBoy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AussieGremlinBoy
3DS FC
1934-1768-8886
This person has less posts then you... Can you really expect them to have a firm grasp of the rules and all AT's? If someone has less then 100 posts it is best to write it off as a beginner mistake. No need to haze them for a dumb reason..
OK so
Astra is a top player here in Victoria.
He definitely has a pretty firm grasp of all AT's.
Sorry for ressing a dead argument, but this was just too absurd to pass up.

bayonettavote

Smash Rookie
There are all these air combos of Bayo where she does two UP Bs, so extremely fast followed up, that you can barely see the jump inbetween these two UP Bs. I don't know how to pull this off.

I always have a lag after the jump so the UP B is too late, or I jump too high and when I perform UP B I miss.

Here is an example of this combo by Ninjalink.
http://oddshot.tv/shot/houseof3000-2016020823853273

Ninjalink said he has no special configuration for this, he just does it manually.
UP B, JUMP, UP B.

What's the secret or technique behind this?

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
You have to tap B only once for the first up B. That way you can act out of up B way faster. That's it really, all you do after that is mashing jump.

Last edited:

ElMoro995

Smash Cadet
You can't connect upb+upb at high percentages, and it depends also from how big the enemy is. What I do is upb, then hold forward on the left stick during the animation of the move, buffer the jump during the 7th hit (the last), then I hold up on the left stick and press B

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx
I like to set my X button to special, that way I can just roll my thumb to get WT's out of shield and fast double jump WT's mid combos.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

OK so
Astra is a top player here in Victoria.
He definitely has a pretty firm grasp of all AT's.
Sorry for ressing a dead argument, but this was just too absurd to pass up.
There was no reason for another newcomer to the boards to be picking on someone who obvious,y didn't know the forum rules or how too do anything besides reply and post on SB.

The post thing was just saying, "he's newer then you, can you really expect him to know everything on his second day?"

Top player or not, that's jerkish. Well, more then jerkish, but forum rules....

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
There are all these air combos of Bayo where she does two UP Bs, so extremely fast followed up, that you can barely see the jump inbetween these two UP Bs. I don't know how to pull this off.

I always have a lag after the jump so the UP B is too late, or I jump too high and when I perform UP B I miss.

Here is an example of this combo by Ninjalink.
http://oddshot.tv/shot/houseof3000-2016020823853273

Ninjalink said he has no special configuration for this, he just does it manually.
UP B, JUMP, UP B.

What's the secret or technique behind this?
Hi lol Just know the timing really

Pkpulsefall

Smash Rookie
I recently got away from a confrontation with cloud on for glory and let me tell you this: The match was far from fun.

The Cloud player continuously rejected Bayonettas everything. her ground side b was stopped by Clouds neutral B. Not only that, but just the length of Cloud sword was enough for knocking Bayo back each time i tried to approach. Approaching Cloud was almost impossible for me to pull of, and for almost all the matches i had with the guy, i just got destroyed. However, in some instances i was able to pull off a grab and get the cloud off stage, which means thats the MU for this case isnt completely balls for Bayo.
I would like to know of ways to approach Cloud without being overwhelmed by his range and somewhat Ok projectile with bayo and other chars, but most importantly, i would also love to know of the MU's bayo has with sword fighters in the cast ( with fighters like Shulk, Marth/Lucina, Metaknight, and , the newest of them all, Corrin). Im pretty sure other fighters who physically fight are not a problem for bayo, since they need to come close and bayo needs to come close - which makes it easy for bayo to have her combo moves connect. Its just that with fighters that uses swords, such as marth, bayo would have a hard time coming close since those sword users are capable of extending their hit boxes away from their bodies, creating a sort of shield for them.
Bayo does have guns that i can use to rack up damage on everyone, but its obvious that her A- projectiles dont have any hitstun, and that her Neutral B isnt really that fantastic since it shoots at an angle, encouraging opponents to just crouch to avoid them. When they crouch, the purpose of her neutral B is pretty much null and voided. In raymonds, using her projectiles wont do the trick for my problem.
So yeah, the basic purpose for this post is to find out things about Bayo's MU with sword characters, and maybe how to play her in confrontations with those sword chaarcters ( especcially those who have projectiles in their arsenals).

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
People are trying to play Bayo as this super-rushdown character but that is not what she is. She has wild combo potential and the ability to overwhelm the enemy with offense, but she has to play very defensively in order to get the opportunity to do this. Side B is not a safe move in neutral. It can be shielded, challenged/trumped, shield-GRABBED and even jumped over. Heel Slide needs to be used VERY selectively and only when safe. Against 'sword characters' you need to harass them from a distance with your Bullet Arts (DTilt, FTilt, SHFair etc.) and Bullet Climax until they are forced to approach you. Then you can react and punish to get your combos going. Also, SH Bullet Arts Nair is a nice tool to harass with because of the aerial mobility it allows. Also, you need to be sure that your opponent is afraid of Witch Time. Even sword characters are close enough with their attacks that you can WT them and get a free punish.

tldr;
Wait and bait with Bayonetta in a matchup with characters that can outrange your aerials.

Last edited:

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Also, can I get some general tips for using Kirby and Toon Link against her? I've been practicing the matchup since day 1, but I still have trouble when she combos me despite my characters being light.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
You can't, it's a guaranteed full combo at every relevant %.

And uh, I'd suggest you to DI down and away for escaping combos...

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
I dont think you can you just need to avoid her setups at all costs

Sonicninja115

Combos depend on Percents. DI is different at different Percents and with different combos.

The only way to escape Jab is to SDI up and then jump, however, her's is one of the harder one's to escape.

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Combos depend on Percents. DI is different at different Percents and with different combos.

The only way to escape Jab is to SDI up and then jump, however, her's is one of the harder one's to escape.
Thank you for this. I'm gonna try this the next time I face a Bayonetta.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Also, can I get some general tips for using Kirby and Toon Link against her? I've been practicing the matchup since day 1, but I still have trouble when she combos me despite my characters being light.
Bayos jab has a startup of 9 frames. If you're both in neutral you shouldnt let her get that on you since thats 19 damage right there. Stick to your own jabs and tilts to beat her jabs and tilts. other then that just remember bayo has to play defensivly so just know when to throw out moves and approach. Watch out for her Dtilt, Utilts since she can start a vicious combo outta them

Last edited:

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
I'm writing this as I watch the set...keep that in mind.

Honestly, if you are letting Bayonetta hit you with grounded side b you are playing the match up wrong. That should be shut down all the time. It's basically like Sonic's spin dash in affect to how it affects the game. You just deal with it. Anti deserved to lose a couple of those games by not dealing with side b. That's For Glory stuff. He did a good job of dealing with it later on though.

NinjaLink did a good job of getting into the standard combo from non-standard positions but I think most of the issues Anti had were due to lack of match up knowledge.

Also as Cloud he missed at least two punishes where he could get finishing touch on Bayo after she daired. Bayo only got the reset with a dair spike gimp.

UGH Anti made the For Glory mistake !__! He dropped shield before the launcher kick on side B. That's the mistake every For Glory kid makes. He actually should have won right there. Shield it all, grab, backthrow would win that game right there.

If at first...second...third you don't succeed. Up smash 4 times...and win.

The Bayonetta was good, but a lot of the success was due to poor match up knowledge by Anti. So I don't know if this is a great example of how to play. Plus, Anti constantly got punished for messing around.

The one thing I took from this is NinjaLink did a great job punishing landing lag with side b. Anti got hit by that what 4-5 times?

Top Bottom