• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #22: Sheik

Judo777

Smash Master
You guys sure thats the only distance cause i was screwing around with it yesterday and while most of the time i got the same result just once i managed to get a distance that was equal to our regular DACUS.

clowsui

Smash Legend
the bdacus that innocentroads does is NOT a bdacus lol

i have done sheik's true bdacus, it's the same distance or longer

i think the hitbox comes out earlier

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
ITT: 4 pages of the BBR not knowing what its talking about, then 2 pages of Sheik mains correcting it.

I just felt like I should point that out.
thats really nothing new tbh, its happening in just about every other thread like this

Judo777

Smash Master
the bdacus that innocentroads does is NOT a bdacus lol

i have done sheik's true bdacus, it's the same distance or longer

i think the hitbox comes out earlier
yea it appears to be the same distance.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
sheik has two different Dacus lengths based on which frame you enter the upsmash during that 2 frame window.

I'm pretty sure innocent roads did a true Bdacus, and what you experienced is just a normal ones.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
if both dacus' are the same length, the amazing thing about the bdacus is that you're doing it out of a move as fast as possible.

Falco's bdacus from a dthrow is a god **** true combo ffs (if they don't DI the throw properly)... Its unfortunate that Sheik doesn't have too many moves that send horizontally in a somewhat small distance...
but you could have things like nair, fsmash (lol?), etc etc

the amazing thing is, you do it as fast as possible, if they don't DI up to avoid it they get hit by something that if they air dodged or something, they can't punish (you go right past them).

I know sheiks already do dacus out of many moves as a mix up, but you may have something that can be done regularly out of hit confirm of some moves with near impunity.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
you can true combo into dacus from a lot of things, weak nair, fair, bair, if the opponent doesn't DI correctly.

fsmash is way too under used by sheik's IMO it's a really good move if you know it's range. it covers a lot of edge options and very safely too.

personally I teach big against Dacus. sheik's tend to use it like it will magically net kills and as we've mentioned time and time again small mistakes and openings can cost you stocks and leads that sheik really needs to mantain. just by holding sheild you can normally punish Dacus very very hard. Dacus should be used for garunteed punishes (like landing, or bad comitments) and grab releases. unless you are crazy low in percent and you opponent is in range of a side-usmash death you almost always have better safer ways to get your kills even if it means you have to be lame like falco and wait.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The thing with falco is though... he lasers you in a reasonable close distance (but still outside your range), instantly lands into a bdacus without even bothering with hit confirm, and you can't do much to punish it.

Hence why I'm interested in when during her "slide" her hitbox comes out. You never know what zones you can effectively cover with it.

Definitely understand the not wanting to lose leads though, I definitely agree it's pretty imperative.

Only discussing possible options really.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I'd imagine like 13->15? some where in there? usmash upper hit box appears frame 10 I think. dash attack OOS is always an amazing option as a punisher just because of the huge distance it travels. dash attack hits frame 5, so you can pretty much punish even very well spaced things on sheild most characters just couldn't because of the distance.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
sheik is just great OOS....... man I love her speed jab OOS is crazy too...

Judo777

Smash Master
I might be misunderstanding but cant we just buffer a regular DACUS to do it as fast as possible. Bdacus i believe is like dashing and hitting the cstick up twice where as i usually buffer DACUS with cstick down, up and attack.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I've been wrong before I may be wrong here too... but I think the only Bdacus sheik has is the one Innocent roads was showing. You may be buffering the dash attack and than that second up input happens as the dash attack comes out?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
bdacus = buffered out of a previous move -> move input forward w/ analog + two up-cstick inputs just as you set analog back to neutral position

Judo777

Smash Master
bdacus = buffered out of a previous move -> move input forward w/ analog + two up-cstick inputs just as you set analog back to neutral position
Yea well we can do that or buffer a regular DACUS using regular inputs i believe. Also im fairly sure i got the full distance on bdacus once.

clowsui

Smash Legend
@judo it's not possible to buffer a dacus using regular inputs

if you do it with falco you can clearly tell that no matter what you do there's a slight delay before the dacus as opposed to the bdacus which is instantaneous

this is easiest to see with sheik's late uair

Judo777

Smash Master
@judo it's not possible to buffer a dacus using regular inputs

if you do it with falco you can clearly tell that no matter what you do there's a slight delay before the dacus as opposed to the bdacus which is instantaneous

this is easiest to see with sheik's late uair
Why not? That doesnt make sense u should be able to do the entire input in 10 frames.

Not saying ur wrong it just seems fishy.

clowsui

Smash Legend
@judo again be my guest and try it w/ falco, you'll see that it's not possible to get a dacus as quick as the bdacus out of laser

Judo777

Smash Master
@judo again be my guest and try it w/ falco, you'll see that it's not possible to get a dacus as quick as the bdacus out of laser
I mean i dont really know how to but i just want to know the rationale. Also are u sure its not just because falcos bdacus is just so much faster than his DACUS?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
A BDacus is always faster than a "regular" dacus. A BDacus is a Dacus on the first available frame ... everything slower than that is a "regular" Dacus. The BDacus is faster by definition.

:059:

Judo777

Smash Master
A BDacus is always faster than a "regular" dacus. A BDacus is a Dacus on the first available frame ... everything slower than that is a "regular" Dacus. The BDacus is faster by definition.

:059:
But BDacus also has a different input. If we buffer and ordinary DACUS we should get that on the first available frame also so it should be the same speed.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
How do you buffer a DACUS and qualify it as something that is not a BDACUS when the B in BDACUS stands for "buffered"?

Judo777

Smash Master
How do you buffer a DACUS and qualify it as something that is not a BDACUS when the B in BDACUS stands for "buffered"?
Because as i said the inputs for the normally referred to as BDACUS is different than our input.

Bdacus is from what i have been told buffer a dash then hit up on the c stick twice. Where as we do cstick down, analog up and attack. But both inputs can be buffered.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I think you are buffering the dash attack and the your second C-up is happeing duringthe dash attack. I think thats why sometimes you get the full length, or normal dacus of sheik.

with a buffered dacus there is no dash attack at all. characters like snake and falco where you can clearly see the dash attack before the usmash comes out the difference is very easy to see. you are moving forward with just your usmash the first frame avalible.

Again I could be wrong, but I think thats whats happening.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
^what he said, BDACUS is a misnomer, it's arguably more of a buffered boosted hyphen smash, as even characters that don't have a true DACUS can perform it (like Diddy).

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
And I was about to bash BDacus. Honestly though, the windows for both Dacus's are relatively similar in the fact that the window is terribly small. Regular Dacus is more than fine for me, especially since I can normally use it oos as a mega punish.

*Sigh, it's about time I mega post, prepare for a wall of text*

To those saying that Sheik cannot kill, I both agree and also tell you that you are terribly mistaken. The Usmash isn't really much a MU dependent killer as it is a player dependent move. Honestly, landing the sweet Usmash is all on the person using it because: one, the move is literally hard to land because it'll either be a surprise kill or something unconventional because aside from studying decay and out of grab release, it is hard to setup as a true kill. Two, our moveset is very fast but the cooldown of this move is terribad for us. Like almost Fsmash bad. It'll discourage many Sheiks from using it and when they want to use it, it'll already be telegraphed and the opponent WILL be looking for it; hence, why Sheik has a had time killing. We literally rival Fox, "YES I MEAN IT", when it comes to kill potential but our kill is infinitely harder to land correctly. If we can consistently land our Usmash, each MU can change at least five points in our favor because our opponents rely on us not being able to kill. It’s a ******* joke that each of our MUs come down to this but that’s what it is for right now. Just going to have to deal with it.

<3 has been correct when it comes to Sheiks recovery and how we really don’t make the best use of it, and imo, it makes us fall behind all too often. What he forgot to mention [I think], is that Vanish can autocancel from the correct height. If you try to punish Sheik’s landing lag and are off by even a frame, we ARE going to powershield it and enjoy doing whatever we wish as punishment.

What Judo says about are weight, isn’t a joke. The only reason that we aren’t even or advantaged against Snake is our weight. We weigh nothing and that’s not the worst thing about it. The fact that we weigh next to nothing coupled with our more than decently sized hitbox and Fox syndrome fall speed gets us hurt more than anything else. Our survivability all depends on the player’s style and if you can avoid kill moves. I say it depends on the player because literally, there is no set in stone rubric to use Sheik. Every Sheik is different and each different style has it’s own rewards and problems. She is more than easy to use Sheik but to sustain her and use her competitively all boils down to the players themselves.

Another thing that can turn someone away from Sheik is that Sheik is vulnerable at most every tier in the tier list. We don’t really just run away with many MUs and you have to be ready to work hard in every MU. As Sheik, there is no such thing as an auto-win, not at all, and if you want to bring up Ganon, I say five good reads and you are dead. Sheik is the ultimate execution character in this game. I’d argue that if you mained Sheik for some time and were great with her, then you decided to switch mains to someone such as a Snake or character with better options, you would be able to execute better than many other actual mains for that said character. We lose when we make even the simplest of mistakes, and our mistakes are hurt worse thanks to our laughable weight and large frame to punish.

On stage, we are scary people. We have a moveset that is very fast. We can normally beat another character’s best choices with our speed alone. If we are reading correctly, we can gain a hilarious amount of damage with autopilot stuff. If we keep reading correctly, we can have you offstage and even falling into an Usmash via a frame trap, a juggle read, or a sneaky Dacus. Now we have a lead and we have a hilariously strong defensive game thanks to the sheer speed of our moveset and our ability to punish a lot of things other characters can only dream of fighting back against. Literally, a mistake at this stage, you can be trailing by a stock as long as we execute correctly. We are that scary but often times Sheik users place themselves in awful situations and we either have to fight back from a huge deficit or we get killed and have to approach. Approaching, as we’ve been taught by Brawl, it never good. Doesn’t matter who you are, its still never good.

Our jab cancels and Ftilt are so good that it needs it’s own section. Literally, as <3 said, our jab cancels are in the same class as Ike, and even Falco when it comes to being useful. Honestly, I’ve only started using the jab cancels now and already I’m raking in great rewards, so I thank Earth from Japan for opening my eyes to this. In close quarters, we can dictate thanks to our jab and even our Ftilt or even Dtilt. Everyone of these moves can lead to Ftilt and Ftilt leads to our entire arsenal of moves. Ftilt alone is deeper than most every other move in this game. You must know where your decay is at all times. AT ALL TIMES. You try and true combo into something, read your decay wrong, and get punished for it. Simple as that. None of us Sheik mains can say that we are masters of decay but we are all trying to be and the ones that perform well in tournaments are close to saying they are. Perfect execution rears its ugly head again, with the fact that our deep potential remains locked away because we are human. We will make mistakes. A Sheik that was perfect in execution could Ftilt lock anyone without a chance of escape, including characters with Dragon punch options. Inconsistency is Sheiks worst MU and nobody else.

Speaking of MUs, we do not have any **** MUs. We have clearly disadvantaged but we do not have a character that just screams counter. If you say ICs, I say Zelda and I will say kill Nana and time out Popo. Now what? Pikachu? Either fight as Zelda all the way, fight as Zelda until you avoid the CG or merely don’t get grabbed. Take away the CG and that MU is nothing special [<3 ESAM, I’d like to play you again sometime]. MK? It’s almost even, we can fight him on stage and can still punish with our speed. NOTHING IS UNWINNABLE AS SHEIK, PERIOD. The fact that we do not have a terrible counter should be basis alone that we deserve to move up at least one spot. We really don’t have any representation so I will not ask for more places.

Now, I brought up Zelda. Among the Sheiks, I’ll claim that I have the best Zelda [no offense to anyone <3]. Zelda isn’t as bad as the tier list makes her out to be and I’ll be the first to tell you that without Zelda, I’d be nowhere close to how I’m perceived right now. She has uses. For our clearly disadvantaged MUs, she alone can sway the MU. If you don’t trust yourself killing with Sheik, Zelda CAN finish a stock. I even use her as a change of pace at times. She needs Sheik just as much as Sheik needs Zelda. Solo Sheik is definitely strong but a Sheik with a strong Zelda is downright frightening. You take every positive quality of Sheik and add it to Zelda’s above average defensive game, coupled with her immense kill potential and you have a character that is honestly and arguably top 12 material. I wont force that any further since we utterly lack representation but that’s how I honestly feel. Take it for what it’s worth. Most Sheiks make the mistake of going to Zelda HOPING for a kill. What happens? They blow it, die, and lose what they worked for. Whose fault is that? Ours, because a lot of us don’t put enough time into Zelda so she’ll be competent. Incompetent Zeldas die without much effort but competent Zeldas, which are rare, are tough and can annoy someone, and not many will know the Zelda MU but the Zelda SHOULD know their stuff **** well imo.

Honestly, there are countless stories of a Sheik almost beating a great player. We’ve come so close, so many times. Honestly, Sheik may never get a player that can show her true, frightening potential but it is because we are human. Myself, Judo, Tutu, and all of us that I didn’t mention will try, but its all a matter of our execution and nothing else. I feel like the tier list can never accurately place Sheik or even Sheik/Zelda, but I really don’t care. I play to enjoy myself and nothing else, and so I’m someone that couldn’t give two ***** about the tier list.

I know I’m late with this, but I hope this gets read and I hope the BBR understand what I’m saying. There’s so much more I can say but what I have down is what I feel that matters. There’s many quirks I can talk about but they are quirks and nothing else.

Also, I have a broke keyboard with no “p”, or “o” keys, so typing this was obnoxious. READ IT.

Judo777

Smash Master
And I was about to bash BDacus. Honestly though, the windows for both Dacus's are relatively similar in the fact that the window is terribly small. Regular Dacus is more than fine for me, especially since I can normally use it oos as a mega punish.

To those saying that Sheik cannot kill, I both agree and also tell you that you are terribly mistaken. The Usmash isn't really much a MU dependent killer as it is a player dependent move. Honestly, landing the sweet Usmash is all on the person using it because: one, the move is literally hard to land because it'll either be a surprise kill or something unconventional because aside from studying decay and out of grab release, it is hard to setup as a true kill. Two, our moveset is very fast but the cooldown of this move is terribad for us. Like almost Fsmash bad. It'll discourage many Sheiks from using it and when they want to use it, it'll already be telegraphed and the opponent WILL be looking for it; hence, why Sheik has a had time killing. We literally rival Fox, "YES I MEAN IT", when it comes to kill potential but our kill is infinitely harder to land correctly. If we can consistently land our Usmash, each MU can change at least five points in our favor because our opponents rely on us not being able to kill. It’s a ******* joke that each of our MUs come down to this but that’s what it is for right now. Just going to have to deal with it.

<3 has been correct when it comes to Sheiks recovery and how we really don’t make the best use of it, and imo, it makes us fall behind all too often. What he forgot to mention [I think], is that Vanish can autocancel from the correct height. If you try to punish Sheik’s landing lag and are off by even a frame, we ARE going to powershield it and enjoy doing whatever we wish as punishment.

What Judo says about are weight, isn’t a joke. The only reason that we aren’t even or advantaged against Snake is our weight. We weigh nothing and that’s not the worst thing about it. The fact that we next to nothing coupled with our more than decently sized hitbox and Fox syndrome fall speed gets us hurt more than anything else. Our survivability all depends on the player’s style and if you can avoid kill moves. I say it depends on the player because literally, there is no set in stone rubric to use Sheik. Every Sheik is different and each different style has it’s own rewards and problems. She is more than easy to use Sheik but to sustain her and use her competitively all boils down to the players themselves.

Another thing that can turn someone away from Sheik is that Sheik is vulnerable at most every tier in the tier list. We don’t really just run away with many MUs and you have to be ready to work hard in every MU. As Sheik, there is no such thing as an auto-win, not at all, and if you want to bring up Ganon, I say five good reads and you are dead. Sheik is the ultimate execution character in this game. I’d argue that if you mained Sheik for some time and were great with her, then you decided to switch mains to someone such as a Snake or character with better options, you would be able to execute better than many other actual mains for that said character. We lose when we make even the simplest of mistakes, and our mistakes are hurt worse thanks to our laughable weight and large frame to punish.

On stage, we are scary people. We have a moveset that is very fast. We can normally beat another character’s best choices with our speed alone. If we are reading correctly, we can gain a hilarious amount of damage with autopilot stuff. If we keep reading correctly, we can have you offstage and even falling into an Usmash via a frame trap, a juggle read, or a sneaky Dacus. Now we have a lead and we have a hilariously strong defensive game thanks to the sheer speed of our moveset and our ability to punish a lot of things other characters can only dream of fighting back against. Literally, a mistake at this stage, you can be trailing by a stock as long as we execute correctly. We are that scary but often times Sheik users place themselves in awful situations and we either have to fight back from a huge deficit or we get killed and have to approach. Approaching, as we’ve been taught by Brawl, it never good. Doesn’t matter who you are, its still never good.

Our jab cancels and Ftilt are so good that it needs it’s own section. Literally, as <3 said, our jab cancels are in the same class as Ike, and even Falco when it comes to being useful. Honestly, I’ve only started using the jab cancels now and already I’m raking in great rewards, so I thank Earth from Japan for opening my eyes to this. In close quarters, we can dictate thanks to our jab and even our Ftilt or even Dtilt. Everyone of these moves can lead to Ftilt and Ftilt leads to our entire arsenal of moves. Ftilt alone is deeper than most every other move in this game. You must know where your decay is at all times. AT ALL TIMES. You try and true combo into something, read your decay wrong, and get punished for it. Simple as that. None of us Sheik mains can say that we are masters of decay but we are all trying to be and the ones that perform well in tournaments are close to saying they are. Perfect execution rears its ugly head again, with the fact that our deep potential remains locked away because we are human. We will make mistakes. A Sheik that was perfect in execution could Ftilt lock anyone without a chance of escape, including characters with Dragon punch options. Inconsistency is Sheiks worst MU and nobody else.

Speaking of MUs, we do not have any **** MUs. We have clearly disadvantaged but we do not have a character that just screams counter. If you say ICs, I say Zelda and I will say kill Nana and time out Popo. Now what? Pikachu? Either fight as Zelda all the way, fight as Zelda until you avoid the CG or merely don’t get grabbed. Take away the CG and that MU is nothing special [<3 ESAM, I’d like to play you again sometime]. MK? It’s almost even, we can fight him on stage and can still punish with our speed. NOTHING IS UNWINNABLE AS SHEIK, PERIOD. The fact that we do not have a terrible counter should be basis alone that we deserve to move up at least one spot. We really don’t have any representation so I will not ask for more places.

Now, I brought up Zelda. Among the Sheiks, I’ll claim that I have the best Zelda [no offense to anyone <3]. Zelda isn’t as bad as the tier list makes her out to be and I’ll be the first to tell you that without Zelda, I’d be nowhere close to how I’m perceived right now. She has uses. For our clearly disadvantaged MUs, she alone can sway the MU. If you don’t trust yourself killing with Sheik, Zelda CAN finish a stock. I even use her as a change of pace at times. She needs Sheik just as much as Sheik needs Zelda. Solo Sheik is definitely strong but a Sheik with a strong Zelda is downright frightening. You take every positive quality of Sheik and add it to Zelda’s above average defensive game, coupled with her immense kill potential and you have a character that is honestly and arguably top 12 material. I wont force that any further since we utterly lack representation but that’s how I honestly feel. Take it for what it’s worth. Most Sheiks make the mistake of going to Zelda HOPING for a kill. What happens? They blow it, die, and lose what they worked for. Whose fault is that? Ours, because a lot of us don’t put enough time into Zelda so she’ll be competent. Incompetent Zeldas die without much effort but competent Zeldas, which are rare, are tough and can annoy someone, and not many will know the Zelda MU but the Zelda SHOULD know their stuff **** well imo.

Honestly, there are countless stories of a Sheik almost beating a great player. We’ve come so close, so many times. Honestly, Sheik may never get a player that can show her true, frightening potential but it is because we are human. Myself, Judo, Tutu, and all of us that I didn’t mention will try, but its all a matter of our execution and nothing else. I feel like the tier list can never accurately place Sheik or even Sheik/Zelda, but I really don’t care. I play to enjoy myself and nothing else, and so I’m someone that couldn’t give two ***** about the tier list.

I know I’m late with this, but I hope this gets read and I hope the BBR understand what I’m saying. There’s so much more I can say but what I have down is what I feel that matters. There’s many quirks I can talk about but they are quirks and nothing else.

Also, I have a broke keyboard with no “p”, or “o” keys, so typing this was obnoxious. READ IT.
Completely agree with everything in this post. Good point Ed the only inaccurate thing was saying that your Zelda is better than mine XD. We should have a Zelda 1MM when i see u in tourney lol cause mine is pretty legit.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
I agree 110% with everything in that post.

The next step obviously is to get a robot (Jason) to play Sheik.

Do you guys use jab a lot as Zelda? I've been using it much more because it's fast and its hitbox is ridiculous.

Judo777

Smash Master
yea i mix up jabs and fsmashes to space throwing in the occasional dtilt.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~

What Judo says about are weight, isn’t a joke. The only reason that we aren’t even or advantaged against Snake is our weight. We weigh nothing and that’s not the worst thing about it. The fact that we weigh next to nothing coupled with our more than decently sized hitbox and Fox syndrome fall speed gets us hurt more than anything else. Our survivability all depends on the player’s style and if you can avoid kill moves. I say it depends on the player because literally, there is no set in stone rubric to use Sheik. Every Sheik is different and each different style has it’s own rewards and problems. She is more than easy to use Sheik but to sustain her and use her competitively all boils down to the players themselves.

*claps*

I like what you said in this. I've been focusing more on Sheik lately and have gotten much better with her. To the point of where she's easily better than my Zelda, who I've been half using for a while here. I was considering dropping Zelda altogether, but after reading this I think I'll go back to the ol' switch when necessary tactic.

Not being able to kill reliabl early annoys to no end sometimes.....
But Sheik is one of my favorite characters in this game, so I'll keep working at it.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
+1000 points for Ed

I totally agree with what you said. Especially about the inconsistency part (which is the sole reason why I play other characters other than Sheik/Zelda). I really just need to sit down and just play Sheik/Zelda only.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I was really up and down as Sheik until I added Wario. It really helped me out when I had to drive 4-5 hours for tournaments because I usually start out hella groggy.

Have you guys ever woken up and literally have been unable to perform the DACUS even when you were getting it like 90% of the time before? I remember one tournament that happened and it just felt my brain was too slow to play Sheik. Nowadays that doesn't happen but it used to when I was starting out.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
The Sheik boards are bad >_<. I posted a video of a Sheik player who could be the best you've had, and no one responded...

Good stuff Ed, I enjoyed your post.

Top Bottom