• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #23: Pokémon Trainer

Toby.

Smash Master
None of the pokemon actually have a jab that combos properly.

Squirtle's is super easy to SDI and many characters can DI into the ground and shield to punish.

Charizard's jab doesn't combo, which effectively means that his fastest attack only comes out on frame 6 (upsmash/grab). Slow. Luckily he has rock smash counter frames.

Ivysaur's jab is terrible.

Squirtle and charizard suffer the most from this. Even though squirtle is fast, when you KNOW that if his fastest safe move after landing will take 6 frames to hit (4 frame ftilt+ SH landing lag), there is a lot you can do to **** him.

Also, snake can camp ivysaur just fine. He can cancel out razor leaf with ftilt. It's really not hard for them to pull and use nades in between incredibly slow razor leaf .

stingers

Smash Obsessed
seeing the chart for tourney results for E tier is shocking. I would've thought Ike and Sonic were competing with PT quite easily, but...**** @ reflex. Too good.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
reflex is actually the pokemon trainer himself

that's why the pokemon respond so well to his steady hand

because the pokemon know that if they **** up

they don't get to eat for 3 weeks

real talk

i think reflex is the best player that predominantly plays a not high tier character

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I think san might be better simply on the virtue of him placing better at nationals. But reflex beat m2k with squirtle once. I mean, it's a toss up. San and reflex are both ****ing incredible players and better than all of us, lawl

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think san might be better simply on the virtue of him placing better at nationals. But reflex beat m2k with squirtle once. I mean, it's a toss up. San and reflex are both ****ing incredible players and better than all of us, lawl
To be fair, the last time I was at a national tournament, I was crying about the seemingly hopeless situation with my wrecked car eight hours from my home, as well as troublesome associations and a lack of funds.
Like a *****.
:(

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
So it looked like this?

I'm usually a strong-willed person, but I looked significantly more pathetic than that. :(

Yeah I remember :urg:ing at that. **** sucks =[ are you coming to raleigh?
I am going to Raleigh, yes, and it's in the same vehicle that got owned in Orlando. It's repaired and ready to roll.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Ivysaur's are okay, and rolling from a pratfall as Ivysaur is excellent.

Still, Shaya's right about the other two. Plus, if my car rolled, it would be in worse condition than after my accident in Orlando, so I'll have to watch it, heh.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Well it's clearly been too long since my last time being on the PT boards since I missed alot of this discussion but I have to say the BBR's opinion on PT is rather impressive in my eyes.

The snake matchup was always close to 50:50 in my eyes, the 3 horrid matchups have deffinitly been acknowledged because MK, Marth, and D3/Falco are dead on in my opinion too.
We all know though that Ivy is the forces bringing PT down as far as tiers are concerned, but its deffinitly as horrid as some make it in our eyes. Charizard finally being recognized as an underrated character with tanking/anchorin capabilites for the team along with a great grab game is a big jump imo that should help us see a rise in PT's tier eventually.

We all know how amazing squirtle is an close to melee as it gets due to wavedash like AT's (hydroplaning). The big thing is that everyone keeps noting how bad his grab release is, yet very few relate him to wario in his similarities like luis does. He has great aerial mobility, a very quick and high priority air game at that too. He has bad grab release problems but can get around these problems just like good wario's do.

The big problem with the PT section of the game is our poor representation which is something I have not been helping in any way either. Seeing as how TKO and I are basically the only noted PT main's in the north I am dissappointed that the results still are not coming in. So this issue shall definitly be pursued to the highest extent I can because in my mind PT still will rise in the tiers as long as we put in more work and stop having luis fully represent us. That being said luis is still the best PT there will be for a very long time I mean cmon hes the whole reason all of us are fighting to do better because when you say PT every player thinks reflex and thats quite an accomplishment.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
PT has a very large amount of absolutely horrible matchups, probably more than anyone else in low tier (not bottom tier)

MK/Snake/DDD/ZSS/Falco/Diddy/Marth are all 35-65 or worse
PT is a gimmick character, once a player learns the weaknesses of the pokemon they are very easy to exploit.
Even reading over the posts in these threads I see PT mains still hiding behind these hidden weaknesses

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
The fact that you have to master all 3 different characters is a difficult task you have to pay. Once you learn how to play all 3 of the Pokemon effectively where all 3 of them are on the same level, you're pretty much unstoppable.

It's a shame that all 3 of the Pokemon have horrible recovery, stamina issues. Otherwise, Pokemon Trainer could've had higher potential to become a much better character than it is now.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
PT is just too weak to 'gay'

almost anything you could classify as 'gay', i'm sure PT struggles with

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Hydrostalling is my best friend now :-)
This.

Just got back into using PT and there's a lot of AT's I never bothered to master but I've gotten a lot of it down over the past couple of days. It'll definitely be awesome to get them perfectly incorporated into my game.

weegeezilla

Smash Rookie
each of the pokemon have their different attributes, which could probably result in how they preform

squirtle has fast attacks, and his good combo moves can even give top tier a hard time, yet his predictible recovory and being a light weight can result in easy death.

ivysaur is a lot more problematic, he has some pretty bad match ups even against most low tier characters. His attacks are mainly damage racking, and his most powerful move(Usmash)is extreamly laggy and has poor horizontial range. this, along with his poor recovery, results in problems

finally, there is charizard. has some very powerful attacks, along with damage racking ones, he could easily ko most characters, and his superior grab range can also aid in this. however, charizard is a big target and has a predictible recovery.

Top Bottom