• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #30: Mario

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Anybody with Mario experience have any comments on his jab and f tilt?
Jab combo is actually really amazing, but doesn't look like it at first. What's amazing about it is the ability to hit confirm with it and option limit spotdodge. A Mario user that understands how Mario's Jab works will Jab by holding the A button (in case the opponent spotdodges) until Jab 2 comes out, and then does that to hit confirm into a F-tilt/D-smash/Grab.

Mario can Jab cancel D-smash pretty much everyone Luigi is able to Jab cancel D-smash. Only he does it with Jab 2. And he has a wall lock against the entire cast with Jab combo, not that it's easily abused.

F-tilt is a pretty good poke in terms of frames, and it has slightly deceptive range since he leans forward on it. He can slide backwards after F-tilt if you time an action during certain frames of the move, but that's mostly useless.

Most Mario users imo don't use their tilts correctly. F-tilt is underused constantly in favor of "flashier" options. D-tilt is actually good for setting up juggles at KO percents. U-tilt is a misunderstood attack that becomes useful when you learn to combo into it, or use it in anti-airs or frame trapping dodges.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario vs Marth is weird, while I'm not disagreeing with Pierce that it's probably terrible. It really depends on who you're playing, and how quickly you can figure out his bait patterns since they have specific counters. And F-smash is super essential in that matchup to keep him honest. Properly angling shield is also extremely important in that matchup.

I somehow beat DSF's Marth once. It was friendlies though.

Matt07

Smash Master
Is Mario vs Marth really 7:3 in Marth's favour? I thought before we argued that at most it's best 65:35. Although in general I don't know if ratio's really matter that much in the community's consensus, so.

Anyways, pretty much everything has been said. Cape Jump can cover his lack of good 'forward' options pretty well. Mario can also play decent on most stages, unless it's like Metaknight/Game and Watch/R.O.B on Rainbow Cruise (but isn't that the same for most of the cast?) he has troubles.

It's like Kanzaki said "He's balanced enough to be played with any style, and still be played efficiently. "

Brawl has developed over the 2 years, and I don't know how much further each characters metagame's can grow, so he might be able to push to low mid-tier, or high low tier with enough tournament results.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Is Mario vs Marth really 7:3 in Marth's favour? I thought before we argued that at most it's best 65:35. Although in general I don't know if ratio's really matter that much in the community's consensus, so.

Anyways, pretty much everything has been said. Cape Jump can cover his lack of good 'forward' options pretty well. Mario can also play decent on most stages, unless it's like Metaknight/Game and Watch/R.O.B on Rainbow Cruise (but isn't that the same for most of the cast?) he has troubles.

It's like Kanzaki said "He's balanced enough to be played with any style, and still be played efficiently. "

Brawl has developed over the 2 years, and I don't know how much further each characters metagame's can grow, so he might be able to push to low mid-tier, or high low tier with enough tournament results.
That was at least a year ago. It's bad for Mario. Like really bad. MK is also 3:7.

There are a lot of factors in this game for the metagame to improve. Melee's metagame is still evolving and that came out 9 years ago(?)

Matt07

Smash Master
Yes, of course Brawl will still develop, same as Melee is, and will. I'm just saying I don't know how much further the characters will develop, at the moment is seems we've figured out quite a bit already.

But who knows tomorrow there could be some crazy technique found, and it'll make me look silly, lol.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115

Reducas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
reducas
all marth use is blad dance and over slice. but on wifi some people make him look bad he is good but some people should just not use him

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Wow, everyones logic except Vato_Break's is HORRIBLE.

SKidd

Smash Master
Mario is not hard to use

he's hard to be good with

pay moar attention.

Top Bottom