• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BC Melee Rankings: Late Fall 2012

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
Good stuff Manli! Congrats Get@Will and Daltsy! Tahsis and Meta are gone lol.... feels so weird not having them on the PR...

Another tournament is required for October... What day works best for everyone? (Which Saturday)

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
Btw, looking at our character lists makes me sick
Exactly what I said last week, so dull. :/

You forgot someone in there. That's only 9.
10 is either a Fox or a Falco. lol

I'll be back in time for the next tournament it seems, so I'll be playing more, and making more smart-alec posts then =)
Yay, Samus too or that a one time thing? :D

jeeeyah boiii
lol firepride ftw

Another tournament is required for October... What day works best for everyone? (Which Saturday)
I'll be there Thanksgiving weekend, as mentioned...
I vote that date >_>

look mom, i'm on the internet
YAY!

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Congrats, Will and Tim. =]

October 9th (thanksgiving weekend) or October 16th work well for me.

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
Hi all!! :)

I miss you all, no homo! :)

I hope to smash with you guys someday!! SSBM BC FIRST GENS UNITE!
sup nick.

Would've been 3 Falcons if you didn't lie to me Manuel.
Yah manuel you scrub.

Tiep, I have you down for "various".
Tim, you live in Victoria.
Adam, I'm putting you down for Vancouver.
Btw, looking at our character lists makes me sick

Marth/Fox. Then, three falcos. Then, three foxes (two if I list Patooty as various). Then 2 falcons to end it off.
Yah I'll be in Vancouver for the next little while. I'll always rep richmond whenever I get the chance though.

anyways this is silly. just take me off lol
Shutup ryan.

SKidd

Smash Master
hmm... I give Booshk 6 "o"s out of 10.
Booooooshk

Also, Diakonos, we didn't get to play :\

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
Points system has come and gone it just doesnt work. How would you rate us players that went to Genesis? Eric got 17th. I got 49th. Adam got 85th? And then there is Apex.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Guys, I am now using an extension that prevents me from using smashboards for more than 20 minutes a day. Laughing my butt off.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
lol sion u ****

players ranked 10th and below in bc **** the entire province of alberta

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
Then thats flawed. What happens if one of us placed top 3 in a national tourney? Nothing would happen. Its all been discussed hundreds of time.
PR is about to say who is better by accurately discussing it. Not about who goes to more tournaments. If someone new comes into the scene and ***** everyone he wouldnt make top 5 because he hasn't been to x amount of tourneys to get x amount of points.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
PR is about to say who is better by accurately discussing it.
And we could easily do a point system through discussion that way.

Like this discussion being close between a few people and decent gaps between others.

Discuss the points system. Statistics are stupid when the DISCUSSION is what concludes "they're so close how do we put one over the other when they're that close?"
Simply make a point or something seperating them.

Use discussion and accurate brainwork, not flawed lucky brackets and inconsistancy in quantity and quality of activity regarding a select few random tourneys. lol

Points would make WAY more sense of things.
Then as perhaps Get@Will starts to step it up more and more, it's discussed that he deserves higher points. Or if someone starts to place below others (Eric going below Sion) you lower 1 persons points enough to go below after raising the others.

SENSE, it makes plenty.

The Mikestattourneywhateverelseyoutriedandthink hasn't, as it SHOULDN'T work because of sense. lol
I played so bad at Genesis. So so bad.
I didn't even play! XXXXXDDDDDDDD
so good
RoM3 though...

Sion + Bamesy
Taking over RoM3 *****es
Flights be booked. woop

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
James you just pointed out one thing in my post and ignored everything else. Basically. I dont think that "Then as perhaps Get@Will starts to step it up more and more, it's discussed that he deserves higher points. Or if someone starts to place below others (Eric going below Sion) you lower 1 persons points enough to go below after raising the others. " changes anything. Whats the point in getting points if someone can just play better then someone else in several tournaments and then this forces the player above to lose x amount of points for no reason. You just came back to what were doing now (except adding numbers that apparently dont matter)

Use discussion and accurate brainwork, not flawed lucky brackets and inconsistancy in quantity and quality of activity regarding a select few random tourneys. lol
Thats what they/we're doing... Eric ranked 2nd at the last tourney but Sion is still higher because of his consistency.
And they aren't "random" tourneys. They are the most recent. Random tourneys is saying. I ranked highest at 0C2 so I should be first on the PR. I also ranked highest in doubles with Adam so we should both be higher. Now thats random tourneys.

And the last time we had "stats" from Jack and I was first. Is that accurate? What do you think?

Diakonos

Smash Lord
How about this:

Start keeping a point system, the best one you can find.

We'll keep it in hand, but the next update, we'll still use our nonmechanical method. We'll see after a few updates whether it lines up to what we've been doing. Thus, we'll see how well it captures and enumerates the talent in BC.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
Thats what they/we're doing... Eric ranked 2nd at the last tourney but Sion is still higher because of his consistency.

And the last time we had "stats" from Jack and I was first. Is that accurate? What do you think?
And because Sion and Eric have been so close like that, they can be close in points. Would you not agree that they're closer in ability right now then Tiep and Adam or Manuel and Tony?
A couple points differential between the differences in placings can simple show how close some decisions were that had to be made.

And no that's not very accurate as far as I'm concerned. If the stats were kept on how it changed for the individuals through it, then sure. For the most part, that's just like tourney placings. The last 3 tourneys, someone may have imrpoved significantly or other improved passed them, so getting last in the 1st of the 3 would effect how good they are NOW even if they got 1st twice in a row afterwards. But it could be worked with if it's discussed/thought about instead of taking it concretely. (Like tourney placings between Eric and Sion as you mentioned)

How about this:

Start keeping a point system, the best one you can find.

We'll keep it in hand, but the next update, we'll still use our nonmechanical method. We'll see after a few updates whether it lines up to what we've been doing. Thus, we'll see how well it captures and enumerates the talent in BC.
The best one would be the way the old melee Tier list was kept.
Does anyone remember that or just me? >_>
lol

Patooty

Smash Ace
- Fair AND good rules are extremely difficult to define.
- Points are unbending. (arguably good/bad)
- Points can't account for all situations.

Those are some of the overviews of the major flaws in a points system. Each one of those could easily be expanded into multi-paragraph explanations, so give it a thinkover. However, define a good points system for me to read and I will consider it. It has failed in the past before, but I will have an open mind about it - every time.

The furthest I can see points getting is that you keep track of it, and we use it in our consideration... which is not a bad thing.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
yea you can't base the rankings of a specific region on how well you do in other regions.

also, I think alpha zealot tried to use an ELO rating system at somepoint in national tournies but it didn't work that well because of byes.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
I won't do my ORIGINAL Grand Idea point system thing but here's a little thing that might actually work.

GOLF! :D

WITH COLOUR

Let's pretend the unit of measurement is OOMPAs
1 Oompa meaning 1 skill point or whatever on the list.

How an OOMPR works

10th = 1 Oompa
When you break the PR list, AKA are the TENTH BEST player in BC, it means you get an Oompa.
>
1st = (just a random number for now) 25 Oompas
When you're first, AKA the BEST IN BC, you get the maximum OOMPAs you can have... which is 25.

Everyone between 10th and 1st has somewhere between 2 and 24 Oompas

What OOMPA between 2 and 24 OOMPAS depends how close they are to
>
1. The person in 1st.
2. The people directly behind and in front of them.
3. Relative to the 1 Oompa 10th spot.

So for this PR
>
1. Diakonos (25oompas/25points/25babyraping/lvl25/25hockeysticks/w/e)
10. Get@Will (1oooooompa/etc)
>
That's the concrete part of it.
Now to fill the spaces.

Relative to 1st and 10th, that would mean the 1/2 way point at 13 Oooompas would be 1/2 way skill wise between the 2 relative to whoever may be on the PR at the time.
(13 is exact middle of 25 and 1)

Right now, Dieslow is slightly under Diakonos, so lets pretend he's half way.
>
25 - Diakonos
13 - Dieslow
1 - Get@Will
>
That's a little disproportionate, so we raise Dieslow by adding the one under him.
Sion.

I just added the 2nd person at 1/2 way, now I'm adding another below
This makes him move above 1/2 way, and the new player just below 1/2 way

But Sion and Eric are being discussed as SOOO close right now that they really shouldn't be seperated by much.
>
Daltsy is about Dieslows distance away below them, so adding him means.... >>>
>
The exact middle of Manly and Will is half way
The exact middle of Tony and Tim is half way
The exact middle of Sion and Eric is half way
>
But the distance they are from each other changes accordingly (like Sion being close to Eric in skill, so only 1 Oompa away from the middle/eachother 12 Oompas - 14 Oompas
>
Where the distance between Eric and Tim BELOW him, and Sion and Tony ABOVE him, would be greater distances, because they're not as close.

Will seperated by (#)
> Tim seperated by 7 OOMPA
(decent gap, average maybe)
> Eric seperated by 3
(smaller gap there because Eric and Sion are closer)
> Sion seperated by 7
(again average gap from Sion to Tony)
> Tony etc OOMPA

>
And the gaps from Diakonos and Will from them change accordingly with discussion and things just like that too.

So with 6 people, evenly spaced would be
25 Diakonos
20 Dieslow
15 Sion
10 BO10
5 Daltsy
1 Get@Will

But adding in DISCUSSION and the general concept and reason for having a points system (to show the skill gaps and which were tough decisions to make/who could overtake who/who's closer and who has to watch their back from being passed/who's going UP AND DOWN in consistancy+placings+etc/rivalries and crew battles and fun competition type of things insue perhaps?)

This results!

25 - Diakonos
21 - Dieslow
16 - Sion
13 - BO10
8 - Daltsy
4 - Cowear (we know he would be somewhere here and he's roughly the same distance from Tim as Eric and Sion are apart, so throw him in the same
1 - Get@Will (he's just a reference until others add in, with the same formula)

Ryan is close to Tim. Sion/Eric close.
So seperate them but the same amount. This would raise everything as the middle has to stay somewhat in the middle (of WILL AND MANUEL)
>
Then adding in the next couple, Roby is a little below, then Tiep, then Adam, all roughly the same distance apart (maybe, i have no idea lol, that's to be discuss or SOMETHING)

ALL THE DETAIL IS ABOVE THIS PART IF YOU TDLR'D IT
Example of OOMPA PR below

25 - Diakonos
1 - Get@Will

> Foundation
= Stays the same every PR with Oompas

25 - Diakonos ------- Foundation
16 - Sion ------------Close Pair 1
10 - BO10 ----------- Close Pair 1
1 - Get@Will ---------- Foundation

> Foundation + Close Pair
= 2 people closer to eachother in the middle than the Foundation sides with spacing

25 - Diakonos -------- Foundation
20 - Dieslow --------- Add
15 - Sion ---------- Close Pair 1
11 - BO10 --------- Close Pair 1
6 - Daltsy -------- Add
1 - Get@Will ------ Foundation

> Foundation + Close Pair + a couple relatively the same distance from the Close Pair on opposite sides
= Middle stays roughly the middle between all of them as it's all relatively the same spacings

25 - Diakonos ------- Foundation
21 - Dieslow -------- (4 from top and below him)
17 - Sion ---------- Close Pair 1
2 point split
15 - BO10 ---------- Close Pair 1
4 point split
11 - Daltsy -------- Close Pair 2
2 point split
9 - Cowear --------- Close Pair 2
5 - Extreme -------- (4 from bottom and above him)
1 - Get@Will -------- Foundation

> Foundation with 2 CLOSE PAIRS and a couple other players..

As you add the following players all below that group, they move up proportionally...
>
Tiep first.
>
Then Adam.
>
Then shift all the Oompas around accordingly...
And end result would look something like this.

FINAL OOMPA PR

1. Diakonos 25 OOMPA - Marth/Fox -

2. Dieslow - 21 OOMPA - Fox/Falco

3. Sion - 18 OOMPA - Falco

4. Blunted_Object10 - 17 OOMPA - Falco

5. Daltsy - 15 OOMPA - Falco

6. Cowear - 14 OOMPA - Fox

7. Extreme - 11 OOMPA - Fox

8. Patooty - 8 OOMPA - SAMUS

9. Noobking 4 OOMPA - Falcon

10. Get@Will - 1 OOMPA - Falcon

CONCLUSION

- Will breaks the PR for 1 OOMPA

- Adam above him by 3 OOMPA

- Tiep above him by 4 OOMPA

- Roby above him by 3 OOMPA

- Ryan above him by 3 OOMPA

- Tim above him by 1 OOMPA

- Eric above him by 2 OOMPA

- Sion above him by 1 OOMPA

- Tony above him by 3 OOMPA

- Manuel above him by 4 OOMPA

These are the differentials in OOMPA or POINTS that change on the PR through DISCUSSION and TOURNAMENT PLACINGS

It's simple, really.

You follow all of that?
And what do you think?
I like it and think something SIMILAR to that would be really beneficial.
Not only to help show PR placement 'accurately' and more 'detailed' than just a single #, but it could make some fun competition and a nice little way to talk about the PR and discuss it.
A nice change if anything on top of that too. :)

But it's your call, and this is wack and adjusting this to something more suitable would be great.

Edit : fixed stuff and more colour.
I know a few things that could be issues (like what if 10th suddenly gets really good, then the proportions between everyone on there would be a little off) but nothing that isn't doable.

Editedit : If anything, when the 10th player gets too good and starts to **** up the proportions of the players above him, then an 11th player could be added. And so on. Which would solve the issue of 'how many should be on or who's 10 and honorable mentions'
Simply if you're 'PR worthy pretty much because you're so close to 10th it's hard NOT to have you on', then you get 1 OOMPA, and 10th then gets another OOMPA or something as he works his way up.

Yeah, this looks nice.
Would be good me thinkz.

But I'm gonna give it a couple days to settle in...
LOL ya, read it then think about it and get back to it later, there's actually a lot here. This is new and could be awesome.
:)

Harrisburg

Smash Journeyman
would work a lot better if you were not rediculous with that james, lol i stopped reading after all the oompahs, stop being silly for a sec, i think it would help.

but, lol.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
LOL
Yeah, true, sorry. I have to learn to not be so lulzy about things that are semi-serious.
(Story of my life LOL)

Ok, so as long as you can get the 'basics' through that post, then I'll try this agian.
Here's an example of a SERIOUS(ish) version. I won't re-explain everything but this won't be covered in silliness.

BC Melee Power Ranking (with Power Ranking Points)

Rank _ Points _ Player ________ Character ____ Location

1st _ 25 PRP __ Diakonos _______ Marth/Fox __ Burnaby

2nd _ 22 PRP __ Dieslow ________ Fox/Falco __ Surrey

3rd _ 19 PRP __ Sion ___________ Falco ______ Vancouver

4th _ 18 PRP __ Blunted_Object10 _ Falco _____ Richmond

5th _ 15 PRP __ Daltsy __________ Falco _____ Victoria

6th _ 14 PRP __ Cowear __________ Fox ______ Richmond

7th _ 11 PRP __ Extreme _________ Fox ______ Burnaby

8th _ 8 PRP ___ Patooty _________ SAMUS ___ Richmond

9th _ 4 PRP ___ Noobking ________ Falcon ____ Richmond

10th _ 1 PRP __ Get@Will ________ Falcon ____ Vancouver

I balanced the Power Ranking Points from the last post a little more so the middle is actually near the middle.

BUT here's the details.

Middle in Rank is 5th and 6th
Middle in Points is 13

Because of the stronger push for 1st - 4th with Diakonos/Dieslow/Sion/Eric, they are put somewhat close together in Points

After them, the 5th Place (1 above middle) Tim is too close to 6th Place (1 below middle) Ryan to be seperated by much.

Tim and Ryan aren't that far away from 4th Place Eric who has to be close to 3rd Place Sion

Because of this tight skill gap in the Top 6, the Half Way Points is below Ryan.

After that, the 7th - 10th Place spots are a little more spread even until you reach Will in 10th Place

That's what it would sort of look like. Numbers and Locations may varry.

The rest of this post is a PRETEND DISCUSSION ON HOW THE POINTS WOULD ALTER AS TIME WENT ON

Let's PRETEND this IS the
OFFICIAL POWER RRANKING (WITH POINTS)

TOURNAMENT TIME

If a Tournament passes and these things happn...

TOURNAMENT RESULTS

1 - Sion :: > Eric :: < Daltsy

2 - Daltsy :: > Sion :: < Eric

3 - Tiep :: > Manuel (with SAMUS) :: < Will

4 - Will :: > Tiep (as SAMUS) :: < Manuel.

5 - Roby :: > Tiep :: < Ryan.

6 - John :: Wins Tourney Through Loser Bracket (silly one but don't worry)

Now there is things to be discussed.

Discussion 1

1 - Sion beat Eric, so his placing should probably STAY 1 POINT in front of him.
(He lost to Daltsy though.)

2 - Daltsy beat Sion, so his placing could go UP 1 POINT to be close.
(He lost to Eric though.)

= With these 2 and Eric, there's a triangle. So how did Eric do?

1.5 - Eric :: > Daltsy :: < Sion

- Maybe he placed higher than both, or equal with Sion.
Maybe not significantly higher but the bracket just worked out.

- So he did equally well as Sion but PLACED 1 ahead of Daltsy and Sion (both at 5th lets pretend, Eric got 3rd)

If they did just as good as one another, their POINTS shouldn't change much, if at all.
Tim doing almost as well, maybe just as good, means something too.

But at the same time, Sion and Eric are closer than Tim is with each other. So their POINT DIFFERENCE doesn't need to change from what it already is.

CONCLUSION...

Sion + Eric + Tim DON'T CHANGE POINTS, doesn't really need to be discussed.

WHY
THEY DID AS WELL AS PREDICTED/THEY SHOULD/THEIR RANKING AND POINTS INDICATE

Discussion 2

3 - Patooty beat Manuel, INCREDIBLE MATCHES, but lost to 10th Place Will.
He could easily go UP IN POINTS from this, maybe he was off his game against Will or maybe Will knows how to beat Tiep really well. Or maybe Manuel was just off his game.

4 - Will beat Tiep, quite a good win after Tiep beat Manuel. He then lost to Manuel, which is predicted that he wouldn't pull up the upset too.

Tiep and Will could both GO UP IN POINTS from this.
Manuel didn't do as well as expected, but still performed well.

THIS HAS TO BE DISCUSSED.

3 - Did Tiep do well to the extent that he deserves more Points than his current Points?
4 - Did Will do well to the extent that he deserves more Points than his current Points?

3 - Not hard to do, as Tiep is in the middle and somewhat spread out from those around him.
4 - THIS IS THE TRICKY ONE
Will is in 10TH PLACE, with 1 POINT
To move him up means either giving him 2 or 3 POINTS, but then the system is ruined.
Because he did well, this happens.

WHO DID BETTER THAN EXPECTED AND DESERVES RECOGNITION?
WHO DID AVERAGE AS EXPERCTED AND DESERVES TO STAY?
WHO DID WORSE THAN EXPECTED AND MIGHT BE MOVED DOWN?

Note: This is just like a NORMAL PR WITHOUT POINTS discussion.
But there is a finer detail that contributes to the placing aside from simple 1 - 10
This makes it fun to try and get more points.
It ACTUALLY HAS A MEASUREMENT of how close you may be to passing the person in front of you/being passed from the person behind you.
Rivalries and/or smak talk and/or crew battle hype/designating and/or whatever else.

BETTER THAN EXPECTED
- Will (beating Tiep and placing well)
As last, moving up means everyone else moving down, so it gets tricky when he does well.
(That's where discussion comes in)
- Tiep (beating Manuel and placing well)
Reasonably deserve a thought of more POINTS after beating 1ST PLACE with 25 POINTS
JOHN (winning the tourney WTF?) I'll leave him out for now lol

AVERAGE
- Tim (placed as would be predicted)
- Eric (placed as would be predicted)
- Sion (placed as would be predicted)
- Ryan (placed as would be predicted)
- Roby (placed as would be predicted)

WORSE THAN EXPECTED
- Manuel (lost to Tiep and not 1st)
As 1st with 25 POINTS, someone beating him means he wasn't 1st this tourney
(Therefore shouldn't have 25 POINTS)
- Adam (lost to John and Yakal)
Lost to John early (who ended up winning so it's ok) but lost to Yakal (not on PR)

SO???

1. Will and Tiep could rise.
2. Tim and Ryan stay together.
3. Eric and Sion stay together.
4. Roby stays right after those groups.
5. Manuel and Adam could drop.
6. Tony wasn't there so N/A. (we know he hasn't changed too much since he last played, so would've probably placed roughly as expected in the tourney)

That covers everyone on the PR, where they stand now and where they could go from these results.

Things that need attention.
1. Adam lowering.
Easy to do.

2. Tiep raising.
Easy to do.

RESULTS IN NEW PR TO BE DISCUSSED
Tiep is bumped up 1 and Adam bumped down 1

8th _ 9 PRP ___ Patooty _________ SAMUS ___ Richmond

9th _ 3 PRP ___ Noobking ________ Falcon ____ Richmond

THOUGHTS
That's easy, it'll happen lots probably.
ONE PERSON moving UP or DOWN
Not just at tourneys, but when ONE PERSON is stepping it up noticeably
Or everyone is stepping it up but ONE PERSON isn't improving as much.

Now the tricky part. Will doing well and Manuel not as well.
This is actually easy when you think about it.

Scenario 1

IF they BOTH did WELL
Everyone would move DOWN 1 EXCEPT THEM
That's the same result as them both moving UP 1.

IF they BOTH did BAD
Everyone would move UP 1 EXCEPT THEM
That's the same result as them both moving DOWN 1.

Scenario 2

IF FIRST did BETTER and LAST did WORSE
Everyone could stay the same, as that's the same result as 1st UP 1 and 10th DOWN 1.
Or everyone between is COMPRESSED in the middle, as the gap between 10th and 9th INCREASES, and the gap between 2nd and 1st INCREASES.

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED THIS TOURNEY
IF LAST did BETTER and FIRST did WORSE
Everyone could stay the same, as that's the same result as 10th UP 1 and 1st DOWN 1.
Or everyone between is EXPANDED in the middle, as the gap between 10th and 9th DECREASES and the gap between 2nd and 1st DECREASES

Scenario 3
The most difficult/needing discussion one would be...

IF ONE does BAD and ONE STAYS
Then a couple little things would alter.
Either those CLOSE to the FOUNDATION (remember this word?) would get closer or further FROM it. That's all, easy to decide too.

CONCLUSION!!

Either Manuel and Will don't effect the rest of the PR, so everything stays accordingly the same from them.
OR
Manuel and Will perform effectively enough to change the rest by expanding them to fit appropriately.

That's the end result of the tournament.
Adam down 1.
Tiep up 1.
Manuel and Will would move, but as Foundation they don't affect the PR with their move.

Fun thing.
Let's pretend John won the tourney.

If he's OOS, it doesn't change much. He's just an OOSer that's better than our 1st.
If he's OOS and DIDN'T do well (maybe 10th) then the only way he affects the PR is if someone loses to him that's HIGHER than someone who beats him. Even then it can't affect much.
If John is a local, and suddenly wins. He must be discussed.
This changes a LOT.

Just like adding someone on the PR out of nowhere, but this time discussion has to come into it.
If anything, adding 11th _ 0 _ Johnsugaya _ Daisy _ NorthPole temporarily until John either performs again or smashes with everyone to some extent to get a better idea of it is needed.
Instead of throwing him on the PR in some placement just because he won a tourney.
He needs a PR placement FROM that, the POINTS can help find WHERE and HOW.

FINAL OFFICIAL BC POWER RANKING

8th _ 9 PRP ___ Patooty _________ SAMUS ___ Richmond

9th _ 3 PRP ___ Noobking ________ Falcon ____ Richmond

11th _ 0 PRP __ Hitsugaya ________ Daisy ____ NorthPole

Better? :)

Edit: I'll read it over later so if there's mistakes, bleh. Jam practice. :D

Editedit: Would it help if I changed all the candy-related stuff in that first post so you can read it, or did you get enough from reading it to understand?
Because there's some stuff in there that I don't say in this one that's probably important. >_>

Top Bottom