• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Becoming Pro Isn't Fictional.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Will you stop with the ****ing crude responses already!? Honestly...is that how you go about correcting people? Lame troll is lame, seriously... >.>;
I said Link is garbage and you're going to use that as an excuse to call me a troll and once again attempt communication with me after me asking you like 5 times to stop talking to me. That's pathetic.

I'm adding you to my ignore list, I've had about enough of you annoying me when everyone else is pretty much fine.

Vanst

Smash Apprentice
I think this is so awesome that you did this Sky. It's not only your knowledge of your character for you to win, but the knowledge of other characters. I think this will help out everyone needing advice on how to become better. Good Job! :)

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I said Link is garbage and you're going to use that as an excuse to call me a troll and once again attempt communication with me after me asking you like 5 times to stop talking to me. That's pathetic.

I'm adding you to my ignore list, I've had about enough of you annoying me when everyone else is pretty much fine.
I'm talking about the portion of what you said before the "Link is garbage" part. Remember the "are you high or just ignorant" part? That is what was unnecessary. There is a difference between blunt presentation of factual knowledge and just plain being a **** to someone. Can you guess which of the two you've chosen in that situation?

I don't care if you don't like when I speak to you, but if I see you posting like some elitist troll, I will call you out on it. Put me on the ignore list then, you're the fool everyone has to deal with anyway.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion

...but you ARE a troll. Lame troll is lame 2X. You can go around insulting people's mains if you want, but they will hate you for it. It's also elitist and stupid. Everyone knows about the tier list. Get over yourself.

Sky`

Smash Lord
You sounded so encouraging and then threw this one out there?! So much for making a point...
Haha, well this post isn't about inspiration, it's about reality.

If you wanna be a pro... You're going to have to realize characters limits. =]

@Lordofthemorning. Falcon isn't a Troll. Since when has being blunt ever counted as being a Troll?

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
There's no need to be rude. You can be blunt and not be rude. The problem with people today is that they confuse rudeness with bluntness. Most respected people in the world are blunt, but they aren't rude.

That's not why I'm here to post:

I read the OP, and I've got to say...that it's nice and informative. I haven't even been into the competitive smash scene for 2 full years yet, but I learned that lesson before my FIRST tournament. "Main who you want, but make sure you got a backup." (That was after me considering maining Zelda or Roy) Nakamaru mains G & W, and his secondary...I forgot, but it's a top character like Fox. I wound up going with Peach (granted I still had no idea what a Tier List was at the time) because I always liked her. I had issues at first, but I liked her regardless. I went with who I liked. I still struggle with solid secondaries to this day, though. >_>

Realizing your character's flaws is the first step. You can overcome MOST issues when it comes to this. (note the key word there.) People know their character inside and out..usually, xD. Yes, knowing other characters DOES help. What really helps is having someone help you learn the match up. You'll notice that even people who main higher tiers still have secondaries for the most part. Why is that? It's a matchup issue that THEY have. I'd sooner go into a match against Marth with my Peach than my Sheik. Out of any of my characters, it's my main that I'd go into a match that is by far one of her more, and arguably, (especially by me) her most difficult. VaNz would gladly go Peach against Marth. He loves fighting Marth. Most players would avoid a Marth confrontation if at all possible with Peach. He knows the matchup. I'm just now starting to enjoy the match myself, to be honest. A match that I absolutely HATE is Samus. Now...don't get me wrong, I've seen plenty of Peaches utterly wreck Samus, but me? I can't...I'm still working on it, but I won't go Peach on a Samus if I don't have to. (Problem is...I usually have to...and won't. I'll take the L.) That's a personal Match issue. I hate fighting samus. Granted we're talking about Melee, in this situation. You can overcome most issues with tech skill and mindgames. (it's not as cut and dry as the OP made it seem)

There are Brawl situations....like in Melee. MOST issues can be overcome by knowing your match up. I learned how to **** the average MK after one match with one. I still play Peach, btw. I also have a secondary or like 20. My secondary, though randomly chosen, so far has covered my bad match ups with Peach. Couldn't really tell you how well I'm holding up lately...'cuz I've been without a Wii since...like mid november/december. (I dunno...it happened some where around there.) Plus...let me tell you...I'm sure that you can cover ANY weakness by being gay and camping the crap out of your opponent. When I first started...I learned that until I got a grasp for the game...if I wanted to hang...that's what I had to do. Funny thing is...that was considered to be good. >.<

Case in point:
You DO need to have a secondary if your main isn't cutting it. ESPECIALLY if they aren't up to snuff with some characters who are in essence...better. That...or you just play gay...it's up to you, xD.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Haha, well this post isn't about inspiration, it's about reality.

If you wanna be a pro... You're going to have to realize characters limits. =]

@Lordofthemorning. Falcon isn't a Troll. Since when has being blunt ever counted as being a Troll?
It's his crude and out of place remarks that make some people believe he is. I'm blunt too, but not in a "hey are you ****ing stupid or what? X character is clearly better than Y character" kind of way. He's...pretty consistent with making remarks like that. :ohwell:

@ Rain(ame)- Nakamaru actually mains C. Falcon now but you are still correct on Fox being his secondary in tournament play. Speaking of whom, I really want to play him again, same goes for Swiftbass. I still need to play The Lake's Zelda though, I heard he goes even with my buddy Impp. I <3 the Midwest.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
In the grand scheme of things, there's nothing wrong with attempting to take your favorite character to a higher limit.

You could very well be the pioneer for a previously underrated character! Perhaps you can find better uses for their moves, or your style of play is optimal. Wouldn't it be neat to have people say that you revolutionized your character? For your name to be synonymous with your character?

Well, that's a perfectly-legitimate reason for picking a character. Hopefully you enjoy using that character as well, because if you simply play them just to make a point, I can't imagine that road being very exciting. You're more than welcome to show that characters like Link and Ness are in fact tournament-viable...but if you want to maximize your chances of winning, you're better off at least finding secondaries.

Most of the low-tier characters have ridiculous hard counters in the higher tiers; for instance, Marth has a grab-release chaingrab on Ness. You're welcome to try to find a way around it, and you just might do it...but it's much more efficient for your chances of winning to simply pick a secondary.

Remember, playing your main shouldn't be a matter of "pride"; do what you must in order to win. I personally have two mains in Pokemon Trainer and Wario. They are both characters that I quite enjoy playing. Contrary to what some of you may think, I don't "just switch to Wario when PT doesn't work". They both have matchups that I feel can cover my problems with other characters. For some opponents, I just feel more comfortable with Wario than I would with PT, and vice-versa, despite what a matchup chart might say.

That's my way; in the same vein, having a main and two secondary characters should be the same, unless one of the characters is "just an experiment". Find what works for you, and don't let another's success lead you on the path of the characters they use.

Despite all this, tournament results and collective matchup discussion is still quite important; if you can listen to the points, mistakes, and solutions of others, you'll get experience with that character much more quickly when you do play instead of winging it completely. Always try new things when you can, but remember that a lot has been tried, and is usually known for being generally good or bad.

That aside, some people just want to win, and that's fine, too. Picking a character should be done entirely on one's own opinion. If I think that PT seriously has untapped potential, then I feel confident that I'm not going in with a great handicap. The same goes for any other character...but don't pick Link over your secondary Marth in a tournament, fighting in a bad Link matchup if "you like the character more"; secondary characters are perfectly reasonable. Friendlies are another story, but you should be in a tournament to win it, to a fair degree, at least.

It's really all based on why you play the game in the first place. Forge your own path, whatever that may be.

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
there is a documentary based on professional gaming, it just focuses on the big money earning gamers, as well as the gamers that receive company sponsorship. It is mostly revolved around the CPL, instead of the MLG. It doesn't have any mention of smash at all, which kinda sucks. Alot of quake 3 though.

anyways, the documentary is called 'frag'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3qlyxyv05E

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Yes, you're correct with your arguments, but the elitist nonsense that oozes from your posts will be what continues to bring the people who call you on it. Just saying.

/discussion indeed

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
Yes, you're correct with your arguments, but the elitist nonsense that oozes from your posts will be what continues to bring the people who call you on it. Just saying.

/discussion indeed
Falcon is right, you're wrong. He's being blunt, with just a tinge of insult in there. But he's right, Link is still garbage.

White man can't jump.

Cioran

Smash Cadet
There's something to be said for making constructive criticism (or even statements of fact i.e. Link sucks) without sounding like an angsty child or a douchebag.

That is all. :)

Sky`

Smash Lord
Wow....haha. Get *****.

EDIT:
I would like to include the fact that Sky just changed his tag to "Time!" and we just won a doubles tourney lo.
Yup. "Time!" Is amazing.
And now I'm going to **** in singles, cause I've got my Subs ready. =D

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Great read.
I might start playing Smash again. I really should.

Any advice for someone who doesn't have anyone who plays nearby (to practice)?
Same dilemna.

What I usually do is go against level 9 computers. Themselves, they're no challenge, but I pretend as if I were fighting a real person. I'll play a set, counterpick for them their best option, etc.

And I'll pretend the computer does more human things even if they don't, but just the obvious ones. Example, if I'm playing a Pikachu (I'm a Fox) and he grabs me, I let him pummel me around until 70% because any real Pika player would chain grab me to that percent or higher.

It's not the best option though; level 9 computers have insane reaction time (perfect sheild all the time), but they have really stupid AI (they recover stupidly, don't do things at the metagame, don't tech consistently, don't DI well, etc,). But if you have no one around you to play and your Wi-Fi is like mine--sucky, laggy, doesn't connect half the time--then that's probably your only practice option.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I know falcon's right. It's so obvious he's right. What's annoying is that he's proceeding as if people don't know something that's obviously correct (such as "link is ***** by many high tiers"). It's a bit insulting to make that assumption.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Falcon is right, you're wrong. He's being blunt, with just a tinge of insult in there. But he's right, Link is still garbage.

White man can't jump.
Apparently you haven't been paying attention. I already know that what he is arguing is true, but the nonsense that he spews around his arguments is what people call him on. He's not being blunt, he's being a douche. There is a difference.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I know falcon's right. It's so obvious he's right. What's annoying is that he's proceeding as if people don't know something that's obviously correct (such as "link is ***** by many high tiers"). It's a bit insulting to make that assumption.
Sorry, missed this post.

My statement was directed a guy who apparently DIDN'T know this, I have respect for people who main low tiers and I would never insult them simply for maining a low tier. I WILL however call anyone out on bs claims.

Top Bottom