• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beginner: How Were You Brought Up?

Xposure

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone,

My question for all you Fox users is a simple one. When you started to use Fox, how were you brought up when using him? What did you learn to do first? Are you still learning?

I am just wondering because I want to get better, but I still have many elements of Melee to master. Maybe you could provide me with some insight as to how to get better easier?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Um I learned wavedashing and movement first in gereral then I mastered the SHFFL then I learned waveshineing by playing as pichu.

But yeah the most important techs are movement and SHFFling then whatever the same goes for most of the cast. other than peach.

Xposure

Smash Cadet
Um I learned wavedashing and movement first in gereral then I mastered the SHFFL then I learned waveshineing by playing as pichu.

But yeah the most important techs are movement and SHFFling then whatever the same goes for most of the cast. other than peach.
When you say movement do you mean, having the ability to control what you want to do and not screw up? (Ex: I sometimes side+B instead of up+B)

I do agree that SHFFL'ing is the #1 goal, but it will take me a while to be able to do that. I rarely short hop in Melee so I can't see how I can improve on that.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
you barely tap it I have slow hands and I can do it in 2x speed it's not as hard as you think put your finger on the button place your finger on the edge of the button and just kindof slide it off when you press it. I was talking about DDing, wding, and etc. but yeah I argee. I play as a lot of people that depend on their movement a lot it's great for evaden, approach, and mindgames.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The first thing i learned was that sideb is the greatest attack ever.

The second thing i learned was that i am an idiot.

`DNS`

Smash Lord

?????????????

Anyway, for 3-4 years i did nothing but what i saw in combo videos.. It didn't work out too well, i tried approaching with dair all dai, missed l cancels, couldn't waveshine.. so learn L cancelling and waveshining, they're super important

Also Fox's SH is one of the hardest in the game, so don't feel bad that you can't do it. Just keep practicing.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Me:

1. WDing
2. Shffling
3. Waveshining
Currently: Fluidity in overall movement, and recovery.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
1. dash dance
2. l cancel
3. short hop
4. grab->uthrow->uair (fastest)
5. shine turnaround bair

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
*Looks at #5*

Lol, don't tell him that, we all are addicted enough as it is.

Xposure

Smash Cadet
*Looks at #5*

Lol, don't tell him that, we all are addicted enough as it is.
Ha ha. I'm going to practice L-canceling more that usual. I think I could put up a fight without short hopping 100%.

I might have to replace my controller, my friend got mad and smashed it on the ground. :\ Such an angry person...

Progress:

L-Cancelling - 10%
Wave dashing - 75%
Short hopping - 20%
Dash Dancing (Well) - 70%

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i don't mean shine bair like the combo, but the process of full jump to shine turn around bair because it covers a lot of options and is really useful when edge guarding.

in reality, i would suggest you learn how to evade before you learn to attack. if you can learn your safety spacing, you will then easily see when they are out of position.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
^^^That is a good point. I learned attacks before proper movement, and now, I kind of have to go back and learn to evade. My defense is the weakest part of my game. DI, wavelands, Oos options, etc.

Cyan_

Smash Lord
I learned/practiced in this order:

1. Shorthopping (lol)
2. L-Canceling
3. Wavedashing
4. Trying to combine those 3 and trying to move/look fast and stuff

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
When I was nub I pressed buttons to fast, and usually ended up SD'ing 1-2 times every match. But all those uneccessary loses and risk taking made it WORTH it in the end.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
My one friend and I do a lot of Fox dittos, and a good number of my kills come from gutsy shinespikes.

Slashtap

Smash Cadet
How Fox became my tournament character:

1. Learned advanced techniques
2. Played as a Marth main for years of tournaments while learning more techniques relevant to Fox on the side (shine spike timing, bread and butter combos)
3. Started playing Fox with the intention of learning tactics (when it's possible to bair on a platform, when you know their shield will come up before your attack, which way players will try to tech chase you)

Two main points from my story: 1. I believe techniques come before tactics. You can't play some good tennis points unless you can serve the ball into the court. 2. Playing other characters will help you understand your main.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I learned how to wavedash and L-Cancel in 2005/2006. I had been playing casually/somewhat competitively with my friends since ssb64 so i had a strong grasp on spacing, the physics of the characters movesets, and how to control my characters, and some more advanced things.

When I got into playing at a tournament level, and after learning the basic ATs I just played as often as humanly possible, but I didn't spend alot of time playing on my own until 2008/2009. I felt that technical consistency was something that just came overtime and that practicing advanced techniques was best done in-game. You may spend like 100 games or like a day or two suiciding or getting punished for bad execution, but you'll learn when techniques are best performed mid-game.

in 08/09 I started practicing on my own. I spent two months learning the stages, just moving around, wavelanding, etc. Learning ledgecancel spacing, etc.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
First I mained Ganon, then I realized it was ganon so I switched

Playing level 2 computers

Practicing l cancelling against computers with stars on them so I could get the feel for shield lag

Fighting all kinds of opponents varying in skill level since no one would react the exact same way or as fast/slow as anyone else

Get wrecked by the best in the state

Start wrecking them

Pay attention

Also as off topic as the fox boards get, they help a lot if you have questions!
and

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258728

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
1 was WDing
2 shorthopping lol i spent i think a week on this haha.
3 L-canceling
4 (and still) waveshining

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
my tech skill is like naturally sucky or something.

it took me like 6 months before i could even do my first wave dash.

once i got my first one, i went thru a phase where i only used WD as movement and nothing else.

LAX_

Smash Apprentice

once i got my first one, i went thru a phase where i only used WD as movement and nothing else.
lol yeah as Falco i learned to jump, shine, waveland on platforms if I am on battlefield or something. i used to only waveland like this lol.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Learned how to L cancel , then Shfflc, then shining and waveshine and shine b-air etc etc. Trying to become a good competitive player with good predictions.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Ha ha. I'm going to practice L-canceling more that usual. I think I could put up a fight without short hopping 100%.

I might have to replace my controller, my friend got mad and smashed it on the ground. :\ Such an angry person...

Progress:

L-Cancelling - 10%
Wave dashing - 75%
Short hopping - 20%
Dash Dancing (Well) - 70%
Learn short hopping and L-cancelling first, they're absolutely necessary. A good dash dancing game and wavedashing game are absolutely necessary too, however, being able to use DDing/WDing is a lot more than being able to do it. You have to be able to do it and then implement it when necessary, and in a matter that won't open up holes for your opponent. It's hard, and dash dancing is the major thing I have to work on right now. Just dash dancing in place opens up many options for your opponent. Proper, unpredictable dash dancing shuts them all down.

My one friend and I do a lot of Fox dittos, and a good number of my kills come from gutsy shinespikes.
Hmm, I wonder who that could be =)

When I learned Fox I basically just tried to do everything Cunning Kitsune did :laugh: he was my inspiration for a long time.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
actually i was looking through my favorites on youtube.. one of the first things on there was SDM's perfect adventure run with fox

that must have been my biggest inspiration
'tis why fox is my favorite :D
i DD'ed all dai even though it didn't help

unknown522

Some guy
years of fox dittos with raynex. Fox was my secondary since 2004. I started to main him in 2008. At first in tourneys in 2005-2006, I used fox for only sheik, because I would lose to every sheik player regardless of skill level as mario. Later 2006, I went doc specifically for marth, because I had so much trouble edgeguarding marth as mario back then (didn't abuse ledge invincibility), and I started using fox against raynex because mario / doc became too much work against him. The sets would always be close, but he would always make a comeback in the end. In my first tourney using fox against raynex, I beat him in winners finals, but I went doc in losers finals and lost to him.

Later on in 2007, I started to lose to a peach, and a falco player with doc, so I put more time into fox and eventually started beating them. Then when pound 3 rolled around, then I started to dual main. The only thing I regret at pound 3, was not going doc vs watty.

Then TGMTSBCO1, I used both doc and fox at the tourney. I lost to DJ nintendo's mario as fox in pools, because we got FD on random. Game 2, I 3-stocked his mario with doc on stadium, then game 3 I lost to his bowser with doc on yoshi's (got gimped at the end and lost the lead). Using doc vs hbox was a nightmare back then (back in the days where he NEVER approached). I almost beat him with fox. Then there were more good people there that I could beat with fox, but I couldn't with doc, so I was like "**** THIS, I'M DONE WITH DOC. TOP TIERS ARE TOO GAY!".

so yeah, I pretty much play fox now, except for some odd matchups, and in teams still.

Pretty much everything I know with my characters are self-taught. I stole 2 things from PC chris. He's my favorite player of all time. Closely followed by KDJ, oldschool M2K, and Ken

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
Hello everyone,

My question for all you Fox users is a simple one. When you started to use Fox, how were you brought up when using him? What did you learn to do first? Are you still learning?

I am just wondering because I want to get better, but I still have many elements of Melee to master. Maybe you could provide me with some insight as to how to get better easier?
Tier ***** from the start of it. First thing I learned was to chain grab other fast fallers, and then i just practiced waveshines for a very very very long time... and then some more practicing of the waveshines (i still practice them). In general, just movement and making sure i'm in control of my character 100% of the time. once you can do that, you can start to focus more on your opponent instead of your own, and it makes things easier, imo at least.

there was this one week where i just tried to get good at multi shines, but it was pretty worthless don't ever do that.

now i'm trying to learn to shine out of shield more consistantly, and make sure i'm doing shine turnaround perfect wavedashes, instead of those shine turn around then wavedash 2 inches waveshines =/

Xposure

Smash Cadet
Well, since last post I've gotten a couple games in with my friends. I think one of them wants to become serious about Melee, but he does not have Melee to practice. So he only really improves when he plays against me. I dunno what to do about that.

I'd say my control has improved a lot, and my spacing seems to be amazing. I haven't really been paying attention to WD'ing and SH'ing. Dash dancing is getting to be a pretty amusing skill to have. I've gotten a lot of dash to Up-smashes because of it. :]

Also, the players I base my style of play off of would most likely be Lucky. I love his Fox. 'Nuff said. (M2K being my favorite Marth)

Random Observation:
I was watching a video of M2K playing as his (awesome) Marth. The way he moves is so awesome. It almost looks like his Marth can't keep up with his controller inputs. lol

L__

Smash Master
My inspiration was Zelgadis,

I first learned to Full Hop, Fast Fall D-air -> L cancel -> Shine

Then I proceeded to imitate Zelgadis with his shinespikes

Eventually I moved onto wavedashing

Then SHFFLing

Now, I don't play anything like Zel. x_x

nyc_tag$

Smash Journeyman
Everyone is always still learning. No one will ever become the perfect fox because the tech skill required for that needs to be frame perfect. I would start by practicing tech skill on your own, and practicing mindgames and spacing when playing against others. Also watch a lot of videos of good fox players to get a feel for movement and to see what they do in certain situations.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Found the boards, starting lcancelling and wavedashing first. After a couple of months I went to my first tourny and found out how to do a running usmash, and I started to try to waveshine in matches. From there it was all uphill.

WIDL

We Are Born
Well, I mained Marth at first. Spammed f-smash and did simple combos. Did pretty good at my first tournament (back in August 2006). Later on I switched to Fox, and the first thing I practiced (since I already knew the basics, waveshining, wavedash etc.) - SHDL. I practiced SHDL by short hopping with the.. uhm.. control stick (dunno what I should call it, but y'all know what I mean), basically because I suck at doing it with that y->b slide. I've mastered it pretty well.. later on I learned more basics lol. ~_~

`DNS`

Smash Lord

maybe it was a new controller?
i was playing melee at my friends house and he has some barely-used controllers.. i couldn't wavedash 'cause the buttons were too hard to press

Zodiac

Smash Master
hmm when I first picked up fox all I did was grab people and then upsmash them, much like a noob link will only use the spin attack.
But then I went to shining in place of everything, like instead of an up air I would shine, instead of an upsmash...I would shine. you get the picture. just really spammed moves that I thought were cool.

Antifate

Smash Rookie
Started playing a little bit of Fox when I was starting to get an okay Falco game just by experimenting. I could already SHHFL and stuff at that time. What I worked on was Fox's quicker SH and WD, JCupsmashes, shine OoS, and moving around with Fox's really quick speed. I'm still not really good at shine OoS. I haven't begun SHDL or shine-aerial comboes. They don't seem too necessary.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
someone should really teach us how to do shine bairs (*cough Tang cough*) XD
you mean as a 2-hit combo?

it's easy.. it works after uthrow (well, if they DI right it doesn't really work at all i think..)
so anyway, you have to hit them with the top of the shine or it won't work
use up on the control stick to jump then ASAP hit backwards on the cstick for the bair

it's useless though, just uair or plain old bair

Top Bottom