• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being social, and trying to make, and keep friendships.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Saying I'm wrong is really vague 'cos I'm wrong about everything, be more specific.

Also you should capitalise my name, after all, I do.
I never outright ignore or disregard advice. I will always have a good reason why I did, or did not accept advice, and I will always acknowledge the advice, whether or not if it's relevant to my specific problems.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
None of your reasons are good, learning to accept that is the first step to recovery.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

See that's a picture of someone you shouldn't be, in other words, Teran. Cuz he's fat and gay, not to mention ugly, I mean look at my sig, he so crazy lol.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I never outright ignore or disregard advice. I will always have a good reason why I did, or did not accept advice, and I will always acknowledge the advice, whether or not if it's relevant to my specific problems.
Yeah maybe if you consider continuing to be annoyed that you have no friends a 'good reason' to ignore the good advice that you're getting in this thread.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Thing is, we're not giving you life shattering advice, the fact that you're not willing to try any of these things or so it would appear from what you say shows that you're just not ready brother.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ruby, I wouldn't know for sure exactly what your specific interests are, but have you thought about simply searching for message boards or chats that can pertain to those interests? It might not be in person, but online friendships with people that share some common traits might be a start. You never know where it might go from there.

For example, if you like Anime "X", try to find an active message board and develop alongside the community there.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I mean, look where this thread is heading. How often has this happened on this website? I know I've seen Rubyiris threads that have gone down this path multiple times, and yet you (Ruby) will most likely come out of this thinking it is all of us being stupid, inconsiderate, or just "not getting it."

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Haha I do

but i was a violist once (and yeah i love viola jokes because that instrument is BAD at the non-professional level IMHO)

and the more "musically-inclined" kids definitely had a mean-streak going on

although that may play into the fact that rich, popular (white but not always) kids often join the arts early because they can and are able to afford the best crafted instruments, bow and bow hair, etc.)

I'd say same goes for the woodwinds/brass and not just string instruments

also sitting down with some string players who play professionally, they say one of the more stressful aspects of it is that competition for seat placement gets some people really nasty

but that's just anything related to competition at all, and yeah it's anecdotal evidence so make of that as you will

obv :121:
wtf are you talking about and what relation does it have to this topic

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
This thread also shows the lack of patience we have towards each other. If one is not willing to help themselves then there's no point in trying to help. As harsh as it sounds, most people have fallen and gotten stuck because they're afraid of change. Not that we're trying/forcing to change you, oh no, we're trying to give some helpful advice that you might as well consider for your future endeavours.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Ruby, I wouldn't know for sure exactly what your specific interests are, but have you thought about simply searching for message boards or chats that can pertain to those interests? It might not be in person, but online friendships with people that share some common traits might be a start. You never know where it might go from there.

For example, if you like Anime "X", try to find an active message board and develop alongside the community there.
I talk to people online over aim, message boards, etc, but it's not a substitute for actual human interraction.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You guys are all telling him how to make friends, what Ruby wants is to keep them.

:phone:
Mr Del Rio, my esteemed friend, we already discussed how that cames from hard work, compromise, and patience.

I know being an aristocrat usually exempts you from having to try hard to read everything, but yeah, we have discussed that as well.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
This site is for human interaction since this is smashboards, a site made for players playing smash bros competitively.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
wtf are you talking about and what relation does it have to this topic
talking about how cute teran is

pretty sure it's related in a roundabout way like smash bros -> life

it's okay man sometimes you gotta go for the dashdance grab even if it looks predictable as ****

obv :199:

If you want different results, you have to make different choices.
basically play a dating sim WITHOUT A GUIDE

and tell us how many waifusu you get ♥

obv :242:

You guys are all telling him how to make friends, what Ruby wants is to keep them.

maybe it's my time to learn a life lesson:

how often are these two things mutually exclusive? no one pulls their **** out on the first date and probably not the second date either.

obv :050:

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style

But if he wants to keep friends then he has to make them first right? After making friends he should be able to keep them depending on what kind of category the friendship follows on. Say I make a friend that likes pasta and I like hotdogs. He/she takes me to a pasta resturaunt and I detest pasta. I'm not going to go all out and say "HEY! I don't like pasta take me somewhere else." I'll kindly say, "Okay let's hang out and eat pasta then go out for some burgers and hot dogs later. BETTER YET! Let's go to a place that sells both :D" If you want to keep friends you might as well sacrifice a few things yourself. Get to know each other more. Discuss hobbies and interest and keep in contact.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
You have to think that other people can be rational to make friends though. A vicious cycle, I know. I dunno if he can do it.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Ruby, I seriously suggest posting this on 4chan's /adv/, because it's way easier to accept and think over advice when you're anonymous and don't need to uphold the persona you've established over the past years.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
talking about how cute teran is

pretty sure it's related in a roundabout way like smash bros -> life

it's okay man sometimes you gotta go for the dashdance grab even if it looks predictable as ****

obv :199:

basically play a dating sim WITHOUT A GUIDE

and tell us how many waifusu you get ♥

obv :242:

maybe it's my time to learn a life lesson:

how often are these two things mutually exclusive? no one pulls their **** out on the first date and probably not the second date either.

obv :050:
you are more annoying than rubyiris

Alberto1866

Smash Journeyman
I'm on mobile so it'll take too long to quote everyone.

@Teran

Yes I have been reading everyone's post since page one. Though Ruby has explained that he has no problem talking to people, he has "acquaintances" but it's hard for him to keep interest and make them friends. People keep telling him how to make friends and not keep them.

@VietGeek

I'm only 16 D: I haven't learned everything in life yet I'm going off my own experiences. Im not much of a social person but if I remember my first date it was almost a disaster but we did what was planned we did what we were going to do.

@Shane

Yes true, you have to make friends first before keeping them in Ruby's case he can make acquaintances but not turn them to real friends, I agree having differences can be a plus since it's more for both of you to be interested in, but both of you would have to be open to different things.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Guus you have to somehow lure him over there, because if this thread has taught us anything it's that advising him to go there (or doing anything for that matter) will not work in the slightest.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Keep friends? Just hang out with em dude. Simple as that~ Show you're there for em when they need you ect ect.

It really ain't hard. If you two click then you'll WANT to hang out with each other more and vice versa.

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Even if he's anonymous that wouldn't help at all. That's like going to an advice hotline and saying "Oh hey someone ***** me I need help." Then get some advice and call the next day "Oh hey I gotten ***** and need more help." If he can sustain a cool attitude then by all means GO TO 4CHAN.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I talk to people online over aim, message boards, etc, but it's not a substitute for actual human interraction.

I didn't explain my point completely. All I was trying to say was that, you can have friendships go from online to offline. The chances of you finding people located in your area might be slim, but one or two might pop up. From there, you can do the whole "Hey! We should hang out!" Start conversations related to the forums you met at, and naturally things should go into other topics.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Yes, yes you do, but in Ruby's case he can talk to people but loses interest in them and it's hard to turn them into friends.

Yes, exactly, he doesn't "turn them into friends" in the first place, therefore he doesn't need help keeping friends, he needs help making friends. Which he is receiving, and avoiding like the plague, in this thread.

Alberto1866

Smash Journeyman
Yes, exactly, he doesn't "turn them into friends" in the first place, therefore he doesn't need help keeping friends, he needs help making friends. Which he is receiving, and avoiding like the plague, in this thread.
He said that what he considers acquaintances, are what we would consider our friends so basically what we need to do is tell him how to make a best friend ;) not so much a friend.

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
It's like spiderman. With the mask he's this awesome guy swinging from building to building. Without it he's some nerdy kid trying to make a living. That's social networking in a nutshell.

Back to the topic.

. . . Solid has a point.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Well, I mean yea. If you're not interested enough to even hang out with them then they probably won't end up being your friend. You gotta make sure they KNOW your interested in them. Atleast enough to hang out with em.

Rule of thumb, people loooooove talking about themselves. Were all conceited at heart. We all feel like the maincharacter of our own lives~ so if you show a lil interest in THERE interest you'll be fine man.

It's like spiderman. With the mask he's this awesome guy swinging from building to building. Without it he's some nerdy kid trying to make a living. That's social networking in a nutshell.

I love your analogy's~ <3

VietGeek

Smash Hero
you are more annoying than rubyiris
aww that hurts

oh well i'm kinda like kanker

you're shocked/disgusted at first

but you get used to it, the hate never dies tho ;)

obv :012:

I'm only 16 D: I haven't learned everything in life yet I'm going off my own experiences. Im not much of a social person but if I remember my first date it was almost a disaster but we did what was planned we did what we were going to do.

Young can still teach the old. People live off their own experiences anyway.

@Rubyiris: Tucson, AZ? I know there's a few Melee players there. Don't tell you made them hate you or anything? lol

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
He said that what he considers acquaintances, are what we would consider our friends so basically what we need to do is tell him how to make a best friend ;) not so much a friend.

But friendship usually starts out as being an acuaintance. It develops through time and being someone's BEST friend is just as hard as befriending that chihuahua across the street. It takes a good amount of trust to even reach that level.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I really want a golden toilet but I'm in no rush, I disagree with that notion.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
ruby-chan

move to georgia

i'll teach you how to spread your wings

and fly fly FLY frreeeeeeeeeeee~

see those jpeg artifacts?

yeah we're gonna fix those

**** yeah seaking

obv :119:

Top Bottom