• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Best Buy - Smash Fest Coin 3ds preorder

Croco

Smash Lord
So as some remember back in May when Smash fest was going on they said the first 70 people would get a coin for the game who pre-ordered.
Frustratingly it wasn't there at my location.. Long Island City, NY.
Was told we would get it at the games launch.
Now I am told that Long Island City in NYC isn't even having a midnight launch?
I am not going to pay double for a coin..
I rather go to Nintendo World or just download the game..

I called up Nintendo customer support and was helped out with the coin issue.
He claimed that our info was supposed to be taken and the coin was SUPPOSED to be mailed to us?
It is going to be brought up to the supervisors and promotion team.
I was number 12 in the line and waited an extra 2 hours due to the Nintendo reps being late.

I was given a reference number. I'll keep everyone posted.
If anyone else knows anything let me know and discuss it.

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
I also preordered at Best Buy for the coin. I'm worried that when I pick up my game they're gonna completely forget about that promotion.

But we'll see once October 3rd hits...

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
From what I understand only the best buys that had the smash fest event had the coin for preorders.

Khao

Smash Lord
From what I understand only the best buys that had the smash fest event had the coin for preorders.
You make it sound like there's places called "buy," and only the best ones out of those have the coins. "Only the best buys have it!"

No, it's not important or relevant or anything, I just laughed.

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
I pre-ordered the Wii-U version at the LongIsland BB as well. They definitely told me I would get a coin and it definitely never showed up!

Not yet anyway :) Thanks for calling them, you might get an answer for all of us!

Croco

Smash Lord
I pre-ordered the Wii-U version at the LongIsland BB as well. They definitely told me I would get a coin and it definitely never showed up!

Not yet anyway :) Thanks for calling them, you might get an answer for all of us!
yeah they told me I have to wait by Thursday if I don't get an answer and to call.
I am a bit annoyed that they aren't doing a midnight launch.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I've never had any luck with Best Buy and pre-orders. They refused to give me an extra Dialga stylus when Pokémon Diamond and Pearl came out and I got 2 Diamonds and 1 Pearl. It sucked since my brother had really been looking forward to his stylus, but he needed to share with our other brother. And when Pokémon Conquest came out, I went to pick mine up, and they told me that they couldn't sell it to me until Tuesday because that's when the new games release... despite there being copies in the case and the fact that Pokémon games come out on Sunday. I drove five minutes away to Gamestop and got the game. Good luck!

Lennypoco

Smash Rookie
So I JUST got off the phone with a Best Buy rep in Pittsburgh (Century III). After much confusion on their end, she said someone was telling her that they received 70 coins at launch and gave them out to the people that day. I told her this was false as I was the third person in line on the first day of SmashFest. She talked to a manager and said (and I quote), "I've gotten confirmation that if you show up to the store with your receipt on the day it comes out, you'll get your coin bonus when you pick up the game."

Now, she may have just told me that to get me off the phone, but after all the confusion I've gone through with this coin, I'm seeing it as a hopeful sign.

Troyfullbuster

Smash Cadet
NNID
Troyfullbuster
I better get my coin! I did the event at New York well Long Island too and it's my only reason from pre-ordering at Best Buy I better call up the one I went to just to make sure I get it

CHAINSAWmuzik

Smash Cadet
Im so glad im not the only one freaking out about this! I was the first one on line at the Smash fest in Queens (also known as the long island city location if I'm not mistaken) and after going incredible lengths to be the first in line all I got was a receipt...
Of course I gave my mailing information when I pre ordered for the coin but I was never told it would be mailed to me, just "pick it up on the day of the release", but how will they know which pre orders are coin eligible or not? Ill be damn if I have to repeat the process of dropping off my daughter in the bronx to travel downtown and get there before the store opens 2 hours ahead of time again!!!
Sorry for ranting but this has been driving me crazy since those nintendo reps came in LATE and said we wouldn't be receiving them that day, not to mention the salt in the wound when I watch those youtube videos of the canadian smash fest participants getting there coin in the mail...
WE MUST ALL WORK TOGETHER TO GET THE COINS WE RIGHTFULLY DESERVE!

CHAINSAWmuzik

Smash Cadet
And here is awesome video evidence that one of our fellow smashers created at the day of the event, which I will use to say "Damnit I was first on line where is my MFing coin!!!!!!!"

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
Okay first of all you get the coin WHEN YOU PICK UP YOUR PREORDER when the game ACTUALLY RELEASES. You need your RECEIPT and it had to be at a PARTICIPATING Smash-Fest Best Buy.
Seriously people, calm down. I did the same pre-order too but I'm not bothering an entire store.

Perguito

Smash Rookie
Here in Canada we received our coin this summer. My neighbour even get 2 coins :S

CHAINSAWmuzik

Smash Cadet
Im just protecting my investment, they promised a coin to the first 70 people and then the day of changed the rules... and I know alot of people who work at best buy and gamestops and they will be grimey and sell/keep your coin or give it to whoever comes in first despite what a piece of paper says... if only the world was an honest place then I wouldn't be so skeptical, but I and other dedicated smashers went out our way to make that line and just want what is rightfully ours, that is all...

obeymalleo

Smash Ace
NNID
obeymalleo
3DS FC
2595-2443-7489
So, are we supposed to pick up the coin on October 3, or can we wait until the Wii U version? I had to go out of town to pre-order the game at Smashfest, and I don't know if it's necessary to pick it up on Oct. 3.

CHAINSAWmuzik

Smash Cadet
So, are we supposed to pick up the coin on October 3, or can we wait until the Wii U version? I had to go out of town to pre-order the game at Smashfest, and I don't know if it's necessary to pick it up on Oct. 3.
Did you just pre-order the wii u version? Cause they were never clear on their policies :-\

CHAINSAWmuzik

Smash Cadet
Best to call Best buy and ask if they'll hold it for that long, I hope they do, unless they're getting and round of coins for people who only pre ordered the wii U version

link2702

Smash Champion
I find it funny how everyone's losing their **** over a little coin...

granted I'd be slightly annoyed if I didn't get mine, but I mostly pre-ordered just to ensure I have a copy waiting for me when I get there.

IDK if I'll get my coin or not simply because I likely won't get to best buy till the next day, but I should at least have my copy guaranteed so i can pick it up immediately after work.

....right? :S

legoturtle92

Smash Rookie
I drove an hour and waited over night in the rain to be the first 8 people along with my friends. We were very ticked when they changed it to everyone getting the coin if they preordered that day. No information was taken down aside from a list of names to actually play the game. I called best buy today and the person said that only the first 70 people in line on launch are going to get it. This is from a Best Buy in Islin, Nj.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
So I JUST got off the phone with a Best Buy rep in Pittsburgh (Century III). After much confusion on their end, she said someone was telling her that they received 70 coins at launch and gave them out to the people that day. I told her this was false as I was the third person in line on the first day of SmashFest. She talked to a manager and said (and I quote), "I've gotten confirmation that if you show up to the store with your receipt on the day it comes out, you'll get your coin bonus when you pick up the game."

Now, she may have just told me that to get me off the phone, but after all the confusion I've gone through with this coin, I'm seeing it as a hopeful sign.
My preorder is at the same store at Century III. I talked to one of their employees in person on Tuesday, and he said as far as he knew they hadn't received any coins yet - but they wouldn't know until Thursday (today) because that's usually when Nintendo stuff comes in. The guy even had the nerve to tell me they sell for a high price on Ebay.

I'm going to be real salty if this doesn't happen. I've passed up far better promotions and have to drive 30-60 minutes to this location just for that stupid coin.

(Bring your 3DS tomorrow, we'll Smash in line! I'll be the guy with custom Voltorb and Electrode decals on my 3DS.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom