• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Character for Doubles?

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering who are top tiers in doubles in this game, since it's so different from melee, maybe there are some very slow ones who can kick *** in doubles.

from the arguments that people has said, probably the best 2 companions, not saying they are the best together, are Zelda and Mr GaW.

Zelda: good spam, easy kills, good recovery (in doubles it's harder to edgeguard), din's fire can be used to help your partner get onto the stage.

Mr GaW: bucket rlz (can charge with ally's projectiles), easy kills too (but could be dangerous to the partner because they are so fast and so easy to land xD), nice recovery and also he can help the partner to get onto the stage with his UpB.

Esca

Smash Champion
Hey man, it varies greatly, the best team, i've found so far, is either Pit and Ike, or Pit and Marth, reguardless you need Pit, his arrows stun, and are great for team attack. Marth and Ike have powerful k0s, (Marth with his tipper) so its easy to do good with a team like that.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
Hey man, it varies greatly, the best team, i've found so far, is either Pit and Ike, or Pit and Marth, reguardless you need Pit, his arrows stun, and are great for team attack. Marth and Ike have powerful k0s, (Marth with his tipper) so its easy to do good with a team like that.
You're a n00b. Maybe if you're gonna play with team attack off, sure.
But for real teams with TA off, good choices are:
Lucas
Dedede
Sheik
Marth
Fox
Falco
G+W
Luigi
Kirby
Zelda
Wario (kinda)
Ike (a little bit)

I'm sure you could argue a couple more characters but yeah.

DethSmasher

Smash Cadet
idk, maybe its just because i main diddy, but diddys banannas are especially good because your teamate doesnt slip on them, my brother and i played diddy and king dedede and it worked out pretty well just playing against a couple of my other friends who are pretty good too

Finch

Smash Lord
idk, maybe its just because i main diddy, but diddys banannas are especially good because your teamate doesnt slip on them, my brother and i played diddy and king dedede and it worked out pretty well just playing against a couple of my other friends who are pretty good too
Except that in tournaments, doubles is played with team attack on so this wouldn't work. You should try it some time, it's more fun imo.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Dedede + Sonic = Best team ever

fopho

Smash Rookie
best team is Zelda and Ike by far!!! Zelda is what I think is the best spammer amd defensive character in the game. While Ike knocks the two ppl bak!!! As long as they stick close together it is very hard to punish them. For example if 1 of the opposite team members attacks ike and ike misses with his fsmash and ike is wide open to be punished for being so slow, Zelda can use that fb without even being in harms way : O. And these two charz are so good at pushing u bak. Even if u have a spammer, zelda's b move is sooo great.

distr0ia

Smash Apprentice
team matches are where it's at; Brawl was practically made for doubles. some characters find their true calling when supporting a teammate

Sonic can actually mix it up in doubles, for example. Mario Bros. are a good team, believe it or not; they can both KO and they've got an answer for everything

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Zelda makes a good teammate. Magic support can be very helpful, she can even use din's fire to help you recover if you need it. Not to mention that zelda is very good in her own right.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
yeah, zelda maybe the one :O
i think in teams there should be one for knocking out chars (specially in this game where stale moves are really punished) so if 2 characters that have only 1 or 2 killing moves, their opponents will last too much.

MG&W has high knock out potential, but maybe ike is better, because he has better knocking moves, and although he is slower and can be punished, in doubles that may vary.

I don't know about other characters with good KO moves, so that's why i say Ike + Character for dealing damage, people say Zelda is the best option, and she also has her monstrous Fair and Bair.

Why isn't metaknight a good doubles partner if he can deal a lot of damage too? and has amazing recovery allowing him to save his partner in some cases. Maybe top tiers will again rule doubles, but i think that in melee, fox and falco weren't the best partners in teams :p.

xjamz650

Smash Rookie
double doubles!

yes pit and ike or even pit and marth. but the best Luigi and Toon Link. they are some hard hittas

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Interesting. Has anyone played on a team with an Olimar? I'm curious if he's a good team player.
Yes. He's a good partner, as long as your partner is accurate and not just blindly throwing **** at anything that moves he can be excellent. Keep in mind that team attack is always ON, so your partner must be careful not to hit you with pikmin.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I agree that Zelda is a great doubles character, for the reasons mentioned before. I also think G&W has good doubles potential. Given the right situation, trampoline-ing your ally can be a wonderful recovery aid, and with a partner with energy attacks, the increased potential use of his bucket is certainly notable. The Mother boys might also benefit well from a teammate with energy attacks, as its feasible that their teammate could help them heal via PSI Magnet.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Zamus, Ike, MK, R.O.B, GW, Diddy, Sonic, Marth seems like solid characters in doubles.

Healing via psi magnet doesn't work out that well compared to the theory.

Cause anyone who isn't ******** isn't just going to let them heal each other or will let you heal once and hit you instantly again (and probably send you flying off the ledge too). It's actually worse if you try to heal each other unless you are in a perfect position (one guy star K.O.ed while the partner is off the ledge which doesn't happen too often) but even then you're dedicating yourself and your partner to be spending time doing something that could be potentially useless. I would rather aggressively edgeguard the one opponent with the partner and making sure he dies as well rather than heal like 20% dmg.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I had my doubts about the availability of opportunities to do so, but it seems like, though they would be few and far between, they would still exist. Making it the basis of a strategy is foolish, yes, but if you're already using Lucas and Zelda, say, for other reasons, you're probably going to take advantage of the opportunity at least once.

I realize the heat of battle doesn't allow for it as much as would be hoped, however. I debated whether or not to mention it at all due to the likely scarcity of genuine chances where it was also the best choice, but I went with it anyway.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Zelda and Lucas actually works because Zelda's djinn has ridiculous hitbox if its slightly charged (and situations where you can charge it comes more than enough to consider it as an option)

The rewards are great (Lucas recovers like 30% or so?) but the problem is the partner has to be free to pull off the psi magnet without getting hit or interrupt whatever he's doing to pull out the psi. One miscommunication or bad luck and Lucas might take like 15% and get flung off the stage.

But as I said before, the rewards are great, so if you guys have a plan to pull it off go for it.

Just don't be dumb and use Mario/Luigi's projectile as a basis for recovering dmg. Zelda's djinn, Fox's lasers, and maybe Lucario's sphere might be the only viable projectiles for recovering. And besides only Lucas/Ness can heal.

GW on the other hand, should fill up his buckets asap. Instant K.O.s with buckets are ridiculous (and its incredibly easy to land the bucket spill)

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the bucket is incredibly powerful, G&W has enormous potential. The G&W forum has a list of catchable projectiles and their relative killing potential. PK Thunder ranks as high as fully charged samus/lucario shots, din's fire, PK Freeze, and PK Flash: kill at 0% WITH DI.

That surprised me a lot, that PK Thunder was so highly ranked. Wolf, Pikachu, and Luigi's neutral projectiles are also surprisingly powerful, ranked just below all the above mentioned. The bucket definitely has huge potential in team matches.

And yeah, of course it's not always going to be a good idea to specifically work towards healing. Zelda and Lucas seem like a very good team to begin with, to me, and the enormous help din's fire can be for healing makes them even more notable.

Bucket is top tier, lol..

Percon

Smash Lord
Just don't be dumb and use Mario/Luigi's projectile as a basis for recovering dmg. Zelda's djinn, Fox's lasers, and maybe Lucario's sphere might be the only viable projectiles for recovering. And besides only Lucas/Ness can heal.
I think Lucas/Ness and Pika have some healing potential as well as Lucas/Ness and Rob. Since both of those projectiles can be absorbed and keep going, it wouldn't be as easy to punish.

Also, It's easier for Lucas to get off that monster upsmash with a teammate's help.

Just some random thoughts.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
Uhh, Snake is amazing both close combat and long range, with his insane tilts and grenades and remote-controlled rocket. Also, C4 is a ***** when your opponent doesn't notice it. >3

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes me and my sister play. She always plays Bowser (she isn't very good so this all could be wrong) and I will play as Metaknight sometimes. It works pretty well because I'll work them up and then she smashs them for the kill, ya know?

Wing-Zero

Smash Apprentice
Interesting. Has anyone played on a team with an Olimar? I'm curious if he's a good team player.
actually he seems to me as one of the better team players but , obviously not that simple to use.if your teammate is good with olimar then congrats you have an awsome team.

Valdens

Smash Ace
Game and or Watch. Bucket is an OHKO with crazy range that nearly breaks your shield, and can be done so fast with some characters (Pit anyone)?

Add that to the fact that he's got monstrous smashes and a good intercept/air game, and you've got your man.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
i don't think dedede would be a good partner, he's way too slow, it's sometimes better a fast character, so you can surprise the opponent who is fighting with your teammate, like falcon with the knee in melee, or fox with his Usmash, you got me right? they are fast and has fast killing moves.

from the arguments that people has said, probably the best 2 companions, not saying they are the best together, are Zelda and Mr GaW.

Zelda: good spam, easy kills, good recovery (in doubles it's harder to edgeguard), din's fire can be used to help your partner get onto the stage.

Mr GaW: bucket rlz (can charge with ally's projectiles), easy kills too (but could be dangerous to the partner because they are so fast and so easy to land xD), nice recovery and also he can help the partner to get onto the stage with his UpB.

im going to edit first post ;)

Oryan

Smash Apprentice
Lucas and Pikachu.

Both good characters and pika can heal lucas whenever the others are off the stage.

Top Bottom