• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Date to host a National Tourney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
So I've just secured the top floor of the student union at the University of Akron, I'd say it can hold 300 easily along with TONS of side rooms for more setups and an announcement system that goes to every room, so I have pretty much the tightest venue imaginable.

I was wondering what date (Spring 2011, Summer 2011) would be ideal for most people in the Midwest? I figure if I can get enough Midwest hype for a National Tournament, the other regions will follow suit. I will also be able to get quite a bit of scrubs from the University of Akron campus to join as well if I put up enough advertising. I'm hoping to make this the biggest national tournament that Brawl/Melee has ever seen.

Also, since I'm retired I can devote all of my time to running an efficient bracket and I have the help of the entire University of Akron Gaming Association at my disposal to help with setups/judges/announcers if need be.

Today they hosted a random tournament that had very little advertising and everything was run loosely and they still managed to get over 80 people to attend. Imagine how large this could be with proper planning and advertising!

Ideas? Suggestions?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I'd be interested in going for Melee.

I can almost guarantee that I and others in MI would drive to this if:

1) it's in the summer
2) you advertise it well

King~

Smash Champion
for brawl depends if MLG it up for next circuit or has something else going on

i am thinking sometime between pound and genesis(like may)

or next winter

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Ya, this'll definitely have Melee as well. The MW has quite a large number of really good TOs as well so I'm sure we can make this run very smoothly. Right now I'm leaning towards the middle of May Like May 14th? The only problem I can foresee with having it in May is that Akron's finals end the 1st of May so we won't be able to get the 50-80+ Akron U students to enter if we hold it in May.

Is anything going on in April? Pound is February and Cataclysm is June so I think April may be our best bet for this.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
WHOBO is at the end of March and is getting a lot of interest. I wouldn't put it too close to that. Good to see this ITT, best of luck with it. Will it be a two day event?

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
With 300+ participants I can't see any possible way to not make this a 2 day event. I'm talking with people now to get us locked into a mid-late april date.

TP

Smash Master
Do you have any experience hosting large events? (I don't mean this in an accusatory way, just wondering)

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Do you have any experience hosting large events? (I don't mean this in an accusatory way, just wondering)
I've hosted several tournaments ranging anywhere from 60+ to like 5. There are many people in the Akron Video Game Club that can set up pre-registration web-sites and spread hype on campus and I've discussed tournament hosting with great TOs like AlphaZealot, Nope and Juushichi. I understand all the ins and outs of tournament/bracket theory and would of course get advice on payouts, pool sizes, etc. from other TOs.

The Test Your Might series that I've hosted in the past has usually been able to run brawl and melee singles and doubles with 60+ participants in as little as 8 hours. I'm usually very efficient at making sure matches are played, no friendlies are taking place etc. The main problem I've had with hosting an event like this is securing a great venue, which now I have.

As far as a date is concerned, it almost seems like I'm trying to fit a square block into a round hole though. If I host it mid May, I'll lose attendance from Akron U students. If I host it Mid April, I'll lose attendance to WHOBO. I still think I'm shooting for a mid-late April slot however because the venue is technically on campus and if less than 1/4 of the people participating are from campus it looks bad on me for future use of the venue.

Let me put it this way, who here would NOT attend this if it was held April 15-17th or April 22-24th due to WHOBO being so close? Isn't WHOBO in Texas anyways?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
You're wanting it to be a National, right? If you're wanting it to be a national, you'll have to plan it around other nationals, so that you're able to get other regions to attend. That said, being a month apart may be fine, though. So yeah, end of April should be okay.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
King Yoshi already brought up a very valid point as well. If I recall correctly, the showdown hosted by Springfield was also supposed to be a national but got COMPLETELY screwed over by MLG because MLG posted their date AFTER the showdown already had that date (how rude).

I know that MLG hasn't officially announced anything yet but this year's started mid-april. AZ, can you give me some insider information if you happen to know anything about MLG's plans for next season?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, you'll definitely want to plan around MLG. That was more so the fact that it was in the same state, though, which hit it harder.

Be@st

Smash Cadet
this is going to be tight.....The midwest can have its own National/major

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
As much as I'm flattered to be called a great TO, I've only co-TO'd an event or two and helped (sparingly) in others. I think you might be referring to TheKeist rather than myself. Or possibly Sole, who has done a pretty good jobs with the event's he's run. I would love to help out with this in any way I can, though.

That being said, that would be amazing if you (er... I guess we since it might be better to get more Midwest hands in on this) could get an amazing tournament going up in Akron.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
As much as I'm flattered to be called a great TO, I've only co-TO'd an event or two and helped (sparingly) in others. I think you might be referring to TheKeist rather than myself. Or possibly Sole, who has done a pretty good jobs with the event's he's run. I would love to help out with this in any way I can, though.

That being said, that would be amazing if you (er... I guess we since it might be better to get more Midwest hands in on this) could get an amazing tournament going up in Akron.
My bad, I mistook you for devildigimon for some reason. I was awake for about 30 hours when I made that post.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
The summer sounds right to do this and I be willing to come for both Brawl and Melee. I may try to get the Nebraska and Iowa scene to see if they want to go to this tourney but if this happens, the midwest will be in your debt we need something like this cause the East and West coast get too much good stuff and players while we get very little.

King~

Smash Champion
another thing that crossed my mind, housing

are their any hotels really close by or anything. cause if you do get the desiered attendance i doubt the couple of akron smasher would be able to house everyone

tdfischer

Smash Rookie
So I've just secured the top floor of the student union at the University of Akron, I'd say it can hold 300 easily along with TONS of side rooms for more setups and an announcement system that goes to every room, so I have pretty much the tightest venue imaginable.

I was wondering what date (Spring 2011, Summer 2011) would be ideal for most people in the Midwest? I figure if I can get enough Midwest hype for a National Tournament, the other regions will follow suit. I will also be able to get quite a bit of scrubs from the University of Akron campus to join as well if I put up enough advertising. I'm hoping to make this the biggest national tournament that Brawl/Melee has ever seen.

Also, since I'm retired I can devote all of my time to running an efficient bracket and I have the help of the entire University of Akron Gaming Association at my disposal to help with setups/judges/announcers if need be.

Today they hosted a random tournament that had very little advertising and everything was run loosely and they still managed to get over 80 people to attend. Imagine how large this could be with proper planning and advertising!

Ideas? Suggestions?
Just curious, but why was the registration site hosted by the local ACM chapter? I saw their flyers all over Akron and they had ACM logos too. What exactly was your role in this?

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Just curious, but why was the registration site hosted by the local ACM chapter? I saw their flyers all over Akron and they had ACM logos too. What exactly was your role in this?
Everything was hosted by the ACM, my role was to get as many people for brawl as possible to attend (which was only a handful) and to run a smooth tournament.

I spoke with the leader of the club again and he says that we don't have the funds to host a national tournament anytime this year. I'm still talking with him, but it looks like this isn't gonna happen.

mypaisleypants

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry, sir. But I think the way you describe Child's Play this past weekend is rather stupid and boorish. Child's Play was well organized for only being in it's 2nd year here at the University. And I do not think that the ACM or the Gaming Association would be willing to help you organize anything if they knew how rudely you've been talking about them. Planning an event takes time, dedication, and money. As someone who has attended and helped organize both Child's Play events at Akron, I feel that your belittling of it is an insult. Child's Play isn't some just "random tournament." It's a charity event with all proceeds going to children's hospitals. Did you know that? From your post, I would think not. The ACM and the Gaming Association worked hard to make this event possible.
Also, I would very much like to know how you plan on organizing an event for 300+ people? Do you have the money for food? Do you have the proper permits for hosting such an event? Did you know that you have to have a certain number of security personnel at the event? Do you have the money for, as you put it, "proper advertising?" We did as much advertising as we financially could. Also, all the students who organized this event were busy with classes, as well their day to day lives. We couldn't just put everything on hold to go and pay for multiple billboards around the state. For what little budget we had to do this, Child's Play turned out great.
So please, next time you start belittling some "random tournament" and talking smack, do your research.
EDIT: I apologize. I forgot to give credit to the Anime club. They also helped organize this event.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I'm sorry, sir. But I think the way you describe Child's Play this past weekend is rather stupid and boorish.
Nice to know that you're sorry, not nice to describe someone's reaction as 'stupid' and 'boorish'.

Child's Play was well organized for only being in it's 2nd year here at the University. And I do not think that the ACM or the Gaming Association would be willing to help you organize anything if they knew how rudely you've been talking about them.
What does how long something having been at a place have anything to do with how well it's run? How well something is run has a lot more to do with the Tournament Organizer than the duration that it's been going on at a given venue.

I don't think you understand what he means by "random", either. I'm fairly certain ITT referred to the Child's Play event at Akron as "random" in the framework of the Smash community and not the UofAkron community. The tournament thread posted by ITT (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=11606611) was made but a week ahead of time, which might have something to do with why it was "random", though I'm guessing this largely has to do with the fact that ITT wasn't informed of being responsible for running the event until kinda late? Not sure. In any case, random is not by any means a word meant to insult your efforts.

Planning an event takes time, dedication, and money. As someone who has attended and helped organize both Child's Play events at Akron, I feel that your belittling of it is an insult. Child's Play isn't some just "random tournament." It's a charity event with all proceeds going to children's hospitals. Did you know that? From your post, I would think not. The ACM and the Gaming Association worked hard to make this event possible.
Nobody is denying the volume of your work. Stop putting your interpretation of somebody's words into that somebody's mouth. It's ironic that you would say this in a community based entirely off of organizing events that require lots of time, lots of dedication and often require a venue fee of at least $5 if not $10. Did you know that ITT has attended multiple tournaments that match or exceed what ACM and the Gaming Association hosted for the past two years and has talked to organizers of some of these events? From what you're saying now, I think not.

Also, I would very much like to know how you plan on organizing an event for 300+ people? Do you have the money for food? Do you have the proper permits for hosting such an event? Did you know that you have to have a certain number of security personnel at the event? Do you have the money for, as you put it, "proper advertising?"
We did as much advertising as we financially could.
He has to build interest before even organizing for 300+ people. Furthermore there's no need to ask in such an aggressive manner when he's simply fielding interest at this point.
Also, you're missing the point of "proper advertising". When you host a Smash tournament and you are trying to reach as large of a crowd as possible, you post it here or on AllisBrawl. This is what ITT meant by "proper advertising", I'm fairly certain. Not exclusively the type of finance-backed advertising you're talking about.

Also, all the students who organized this event were busy with classes, as well their day to day lives. We couldn't just put everything on hold to go and pay for multiple billboards around the state. For what little budget we had to do this, Child's Play turned out great.
So please, next time you start belittling some "random tournament" and talking smack, do your research.
The community for Smash players has an age range of roughly 16-24. I don't know what you're trying to imply by saying that the students at UAkron were busy, but if it has anything to do with some sort of suggestion that our community does not consist of these types of individuals who are "busy with classes, as well as their day to day lives", I am going to have to ask you to "do your research".
Nobody is asking you to post multiple billboards around the state. This is not what constitutes "proper advertising" in the context of Smash tournaments, as I've previously stated. Also, budget is NOT the only means of advertisement. Word-of-mouth is often one of the most useful tools a university has at its disposal, as well as the World Wide Web.

I hope I didn't sound hostile at any point in my post because I really just wanted to clarify some things based on what I'm hearing from ITT in his posts and what I know of him; he can say whatever he wants but this is just my reaction. I don't think you intended to be mean, mypaisleypants, but I think you simply misinterpreted ITT's intent/statements. That being said, welcome to the community. If there are any future ACM or UAkron Gaming Association events you would like to inform us about in the future, please post a thread in the Tournament Listings section and use all the tools that threads there have at their disposal.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Can someone please close this thread? The national tournament will not be happening at this time so any further posts are not useful.

tdfischer

Smash Rookie
mypaisleypants doesn't speak for the organizers of this year's Child's Play.

However, I do. I'm Trever Fischer, the president of the ACM and the coordinator for CP2010. Yeah, it wasn't beautiful and far from perfect. But dangit we tried. Raising $2000 for the charity is a huge improvement over last year's $500 nonetheless.

No reason to jump the gun and cancel plans. If you'd like to get this tournament going in Akron, just let me or the akron video game club president know. We can help you out.

Come stop by CAS 254 this wednesday at 5 PM for one of the ACM's SIGCORE meetings. Or just email me at tdfischer@fedoraproject.org. The other officers would love to hear more about your plans. We can help you out a ton too.

FYI, Child's Play 2011 will be happening again next year, around the same time. We're still getting this off the ground, but I can guarantee it'll be better and bigger than this year was, especially if such a huge community like smashboards got involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom