• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Defensive Character?

Coney

Smash Master
Olimar. Yes, he's campy, but he's also a defensive little ****er.

Some characters simply HAVE to play defensively. Olimar, I think, is one of those characters. Heavy low tiers like Bowser, Ganon and Link probably do too...but Link just might be more campy.

In contrast I don't think DDD necessarily has to be defensive at all.

EDIT - Also, ever seen a crazy defensive ZSS? ****'s scary.

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
Olimar is the best. His grab range covers about a 4th of FD, he has pikmin to throw, and a move that blocks knock back. He's the ****ing king of camping.

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
Snake, Olimar, Toon Link, Meta Knight, Marf, Wario, Robotic Operating Buddy, King Dedede.

No particular order.

I think those guys are pretty much undisputed for top 8 in some order.
Get Metaknight out of the list NOW.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
There are characters who have top notch defensive abilities, and then there are characters who must play defensive to get destroyed. Those who must play defensive to not get destroyed bolster their "good" defensive game simply because they must be defensive to use that. I see this question playing more for characters who can be played however while still retaining excellent defenses.

In short, we're looking for characters who can make the best walls, not necessarily characters who have to be walls... in my opinion.

Nic64

Smash Lord
meta knight is amazing at defense actually, I got a lot better with him when I stopped trying to attack people and just started camping a lot

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
If low tiers are also worth mentioning, Samus would be another obvious choice.

And I wonder, that ROB isnt mentioned more - he has 2 projectiles (a laser which charges in time!), good punishing moves (D Smash o_O), is quite heavy and has a very good recovery.

Edit: Zelda.. she is too slow to play aggressively, and her specials (in spite of her Down B ;) ) support a defensive playstyle.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Meta Knight has more than enough defensive options to put him up with the top.
meta knight is amazing at defense actually, I got a lot better with him when I stopped trying to attack people and just started camping a lot
how exactly is metaknight played defensively? retreating fairs? retreating nado? his shieldgrab is mediocre, and his shield sucks.

metaknight is a pressure, aggressive char that is supposed to keep your opponent on their toes. not defensive or hit and run. theres NO way that MK is defensive.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
how exactly is metaknight played defensively? retreating fairs? retreating nado? his shieldgrab is mediocre, and his shield sucks.

metaknight is a pressure, aggressive char that is supposed to keep your opponent on their toes. not defensive or hit and run. theres NO way that MK is defensive.
A turtling MK is very VERY effective.

Simply spacing tilts, punishing approaches with his specials, baiting, attacking in between his opponent's strikes, fsmashes and fairs to cover his body, etc.

Spammer, infinity, sometimes m2k when he has to etc will turtle and get successful results. Saying mk can't play defensive is silly.

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman

Your sig hurts me.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Your sig hurts me.
my sig is sexy

A turtling MK is very VERY effective.

Simply spacing tilts, punishing approaches with his specials, baiting, attacking in between his opponent's strikes, fsmashes and fairs to cover his body, etc.

Spammer, infinity, sometimes m2k when he has to etc will turtle and get successful results. Saying mk can't play defensive is silly.
well obv he can be played defensively but it just isnt in par with snake, d3, Rob, olimar, ect.

and i suppose turtling MK means...defensive? :confused:

Excellence

Smash Champion
King Dedede (he's always played defensively), Mr. Game & Watch (retreating brick all), R.O.B. (stay off the stage and use projectiles & aerial walls), Olimar (... just try and get near him).

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
I'd say DDD and Bowser are both very defensive due to Shieldgrabbing alot and all this. Pretty Obvious. Though Olimar is quite defensive aswell, keeping you away from him is so annoying >_<

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Snake, D3, Olimar. Saying that anyone but them is the best defensive character is a bold statement that needs to be backed with a massive wall of text.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
I have to say Dedede. I would say bowser because he is heavier but king dedede is a beast at getting back on stage. His waddle dees are okay at blocking somoe people trying to spam lazers or w/e. And shield grabs to chain grabs are awesome.

Another deffensive character is mario. not many people realize it but the cape rocks when someone tries attacking. Also there is the fludd which stops aggressive approaches. If you use him right you can be really defensive.

If all else fails get campy with pikachu, rob, or (ewww) olimar (Sorry olly mains but i hate olimar.)

Royale

Smash Journeyman

While primarily MK needs to be the pressure aggressive type, switching to defensive or a campy mode can put you in a better situation. I find being too much aggro on MK can lead to me being too predictable. Nothing wrong with a retreating fair/bair every now and then. But i'd rather dtilt.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
The fact that MK took this long to get serious discussion in this thread is really disheartening. If by defensive you mean, a playstyle reliant on baiting an opponent into attacking and then punishing that attack, MK is arguably the best character in the game at it. The arguments being snake, D3 and olimar.

MK is, like the rest of the cast, best played defensively. He's simply an anomaly in that he can play super aggressively and get results.

Have you, ever in your entire life, even looked at a spammerer video? If not you fail as an MK main. If you have and still made this post, I don't even know what to do with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJmzWFdfzgw

brinboy789

Smash Champion
The fact that MK took this long to get serious discussion in this thread is really disheartening. If by defensive you mean, a playstyle reliant on baiting an opponent into attacking and then punishing that attack, MK is arguably the best character in the game at it. The arguments being snake, D3 and olimar.

MK is, like the rest of the cast, best played defensively. He's simply an anomaly in that he can play super aggressively and get results.

Have you, ever in your entire life, even looked at a spammerer video? If not you fail as an MK main. If you have and still made this post, I don't even know what to do with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJmzWFdfzgw
there are all sorts of playstyles with each character. it doesnt matter if just one, although arguably good player is defensive.

bowser is a defensive char right? arguably the best bowser, sliq, plays pretty offensively if you ask me. look at this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G5VLmjS5eU

he plays pretty offensively, and i didnt see that much shielding going on. there are different playstyles with each char. for bowser, its defensive. for MK, its offensive. if MK is the best at the game at defensive, why is the best MK player, M2K, offensive?

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Link, cuz he has a shield. ^_^.

Or maybe metroid, cuz he has super armor with a gun attached to his arm.

take this seriously then you're ********.

:093:

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Debatable, but I'd have to go with olimar since his entire stradegy is running and throwing pikmin, basically outcamping you, forcing you to approach. Than grab range basically makes it impossible for you to approach Olimar. IMO if you can't outspam olimar or have a good aerial approach, you get ***** period

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
there are all sorts of playstyles with each character. it doesnt matter if just one, although arguably good player is defensive.

bowser is a defensive char right? arguably the best bowser, sliq, plays pretty offensively if you ask me. look at this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G5VLmjS5eU

he plays pretty offensively, and i didnt see that much shielding going on. there are different playstyles with each char. for bowser, its defensive. for MK, its offensive. if MK is the best at the game at defensive, why is the best MK player, M2K, offensive?
sliq is good but best bowser is vex.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I frankly like lucario as a defensive character (with crazy projectile, utilt, fsmash, and fair wall jazz), but I think D3, marth (I'm not saying the conventional idea of defense, mind you, just a punishing one), or MK if he doesn't have to approach for the match.

BMX

Smash Lord
In my opinion the top is wario.

just bcuz he plays an aggresive and defensive state where its all dont get grab released.lol

but u can smash DI the release...so it makes him alot better

Top Bottom