• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best edge guarder in melee?

Massive

Smash Champion
It depends on what you mean by edge guard, I guess.

If you're talking about ledgehogging, I think Fox is probably the best at it. He can firefox stall or pop off and regrab within invincibility frames. He's very hard to get off the ledge once hes on, and you can't do a huge amount about it.

If you're talking about chasing people off the stage to prevent them from getting back to the edge, Jigglypuff is by a large margin the best. Jigglypuff's abilities are not substantially diminished by being off-stage, and really the entire level is jigglypuff's stage. Puff can chase opponents anywhere off screen and easily recover with no issue, there's no contest on this one.

If you're talking about holding the ledge and punishing people trying to get back onto the stage, Sheik is arguably the best. Drop > Jump > bair is impossibly good at repelling recoveries, and is many times more than enough to take the stock. Sheik also falls slowly enough that you can easily regrab the ledge in many instances, making this tactic incredibly safe and effective.

If you're talking about remaining on the stage and keeping people off the ledge, Marth is insanely good at it. He can parry or jab for spacies, dtilt everyone else, and fsmash for higher than normal recoveries. His dair can end a stock without even leaving the stage.

There's not really a clear winner of all of these in my eyes, although there is a lot of crossover in these abilities, which is a large part of why fox and sheik are so good. I consider Falco to be "pretty good" at all of these, just not the best. This is arguably a large part of why he's so good in general.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
The problem with Puff is the vertical speed issue. There is a reason why it can be hard to edgeguard with her - that speed horrifically impacts her ability to cover multiple recovery options simultaneously.

Not saying she's not Top 5, because she clearly is, just saying that I don't think she's the best. You ultimately have to be positioned between the character and the stage fairly precisely, and there's not much room for error.

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
Marth F-smash, Peach D-Smash, CF Stomp / Knee are all good tools that get the job done fairly early, and Falcos Shine is just completely ******** :D Sheik doesn't have anything comparable. I think she's mostly good at holding the edge and then reactively bairing people away over and over till they die. Something that just doesn't work with Yoshi (:
CF's knee is not his safer edge guarding imo, its prety much a killer move (or an all or nothing edge guarding) lol, Bair and Uair seems to work better at keeping the other dude out of stage, yoshi's recovery at low percent is just insane

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The problem with Puff is the vertical speed issue. There is a reason why it can be hard to edgeguard with her - that speed horrifically impacts her ability to cover multiple recovery options simultaneously.

Not saying she's not Top 5, because she clearly is, just saying that I don't think she's the best. You ultimately have to be positioned between the character and the stage fairly precisely, and there's not much room for error.

Yeah this is my point of view too. Hbox makes it look a LOTTTT easier than it is

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
CF's knee is not his safer edge guarding imo, its prety much a killer move (or an all or nothing edge guarding) lol, Bair and Uair seems to work better at keeping the other dude out of stage, yoshi's recovery at low percent is just insane
Knee kinda doubles as a sex kick though, and is quick enough that you sometimes can cover other options after the knee finishes (like Hax's knee -> uair edgeguards)

Top Bottom