• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best FFA Character

mirage_drag0n

Smash Apprentice
There should be a tier list of this but I can't find it (or it doesn't exist).
I'm entering a tournament where all the rounds except final and semifinals are FFA. I need a character that is strong in FFA.
*P.S. I main Olimar.

mirage_drag0n

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if it's timed or 3 stocks
But I need to be prepared for both.
probably timed. (2 mins or something)

TP

Smash Master
Metaknight. If it is timed, use your speed to steal kills. If it is stock, fly under the stage.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Prepare to see lots of Ikes...maybe you should think of picking him, easy to pick up and learn.
Also, DK can get good kills in FFA AND live long enough, so he's good for both timed and stock.
I'd leave Olimar behind, too much randomness going on which could screw your recovery very early in the match. Also, what TP said, MK would be a good choice, but he doesn't live very long.

Mith_

Smash Champion
sounds like a noob-fest to me.

pick r.o.b he is the best FFA character. don't pick DK he will get tossed around like zss in a room full of gamerphiles.

AAP

Smash Journeyman
I'd have to agree with all saying R.O.B. He can lurk like no other.

Smash Master
ROB, Ike, and MK are the three best choices. Pick the one that suits you.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
D3 is really good for FFAs too, people tend to get thrown into his Fsmash, which is instant death, either that or Wario, they both live very long too.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike sucks in FFAs. People know he can clear mobs with Fsmash if he isn't being hit, so they gain up on him. Seriously. >_<

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Snake man.

He has a strong Fsmash AND isn't a bad character.

mirage_drag0n

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting to like ROB in FFA. I just used him in a friendly match with 3 other friends on Final Destination. All I did was camp on the right side while they all fought on the left side. Spamming laser and Gyro. They only started to go after me when they realised I was the only guy left with 3 stocks ;) Even then when they came near me I just spam D-tilt and D-Smash and they'd get tired and go back to the left side lol.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I'm starting to like ROB in FFA. I just used him in a friendly match with 3 other friends on Final Destination. All I did was camp on the right side while they all fought on the left side. Spamming laser and Gyro. They only started to go after me when they realised I was the only guy left with 3 stocks ;) Even then when they came near me I just spam D-tilt and D-Smash and they'd get tired and go back to the left side lol.
Sounds like you have a winner.

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
I used to do this all the time when I mained him. I would actually outright say "I'm practicing my camping skills." lol...

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
>_> Everyone gangs up on Ike....

Also Ike will probably be 60% of the people there. I can guarantee Snake will also appear a lot.

Go Snake and blow people up with C4s. Its soo amusing. Ike is best for timed battles though. his fsmash has the best power/speed ratio in a FFA. (Since FFA its easy to interrupt people fighting, people can knock them into it, etc, etc.)

stock battles you need someone like ROB, he will be able to survive well with his superb recovery as well as damage people with his lazer.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
G&W cause he has quick power killing attacks and can stall on the ledge. Not to mention 9 hammer appearing alot since opponents are distracted.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
In my experience R.O.B. is really bad in time mode because he lacks the ability to quickly kill the enemy so he ends up never dying and racking tons of damage but having a horrible score. All that matters in timed FFA is your ability to kill quickly. Mr. Game & Watch is a good choice; just spam down smash and go after whoever is at the highest percentage. Marth is pretty amazing too; Counter keeps you safe, and smash spamming works well. Wolf is another top character in this mode; if you just spam fsmash and dsmash and laser with a little Reflector everyone will die and no one will hit you. Meta Knight is pretty good if you are good about saving dsmash, but he's not really optimal. The heavy and slow characters all suck because they get smacked around too easily and never get their attacks off because of how slow they are; don't pick them. Any character with even a hint of KO problems (Diddy Kong, Sonic, Sheik, whatever) sucks. Guys who are somewhat fast with high power who I didn't list (Zelda, Ness, Lucas, Pikachu, Wario, Olimar) are pretty good, but they aren't ideal. Spammers like Pit are good if you are really accurate at stealing kills but overall aren't really worth it.

If you are an Olimar main, you can go with him as he's fine. Just remember the fundamental rule of timed free for alls; pick on the weak players. Kill total is all that matters; just go after the weak players (or highly damaged players) and spam kill moves. Racking up damage isn't really that important; don't bother with it too much (if you don't rack up damage, someone else will for you). If you are so lucky as to get stock mode, ignore everything I said. Pick a good camping character (Olimar works again!) and just avoid conflict. Also, if you have it in you, politics can help. Making agreements to work with other players can help you make free for alls even more broken and degenerate, but they'll be broken and degenerate in the right way for you to win! Speaking of degenerate, these modes really are degenerate. If you have a smart sounding strategy, it's probably bad. Good strategies for free for alls usually have about as much depth as "spam X powerful move".

Tamoo

Smash Master
If you are an Olimar main, you can go with him as he's fine.
I personally (from experience) would never use olimar in a free for all. He gets tossed around too easily, and has some difficulty landing his killing moves. He excels in 1 on 1 situations because of his amazing grab game and ability to retreat and camp, however, these essentials are taken away in ffas.
My personal favourite in this situation has always been bowser. He survives for absolutely ages, and has good clearing moves, such as dsmash and upb. his ftilt is useful too, to keep opponents away, and you can safely go out and gimp opponents with fair. He will surprise opponents with his speed cos some of his moves come out very quickly. just dont use bair, at all. and gimpy for the lols.

Noa.

Smash Master
In my experience R.O.B. is really bad in time mode because he lacks the ability to quickly kill the enemy so he ends up never dying and racking tons of damage but having a horrible score. All that matters in timed FFA is your ability to kill quickly. Mr. Game & Watch is a good choice; just spam down smash and go after whoever is at the highest percentage. Marth is pretty amazing too; Counter keeps you safe, and smash spamming works well. Wolf is another top character in this mode; if you just spam fsmash and dsmash and laser with a little Reflector everyone will die and no one will hit you. Meta Knight is pretty good if you are good about saving dsmash, but he's not really optimal. The heavy and slow characters all suck because they get smacked around too easily and never get their attacks off because of how slow they are; don't pick them. Any character with even a hint of KO problems (Diddy Kong, Sonic, Sheik, whatever) sucks. Guys who are somewhat fast with high power who I didn't list (Zelda, Ness, Lucas, Pikachu, Wario, Olimar) are pretty good, but they aren't ideal. Spammers like Pit are good if you are really accurate at stealing kills but overall aren't really worth it.

If you are an Olimar main, you can go with him as he's fine. Just remember the fundamental rule of timed free for alls; pick on the weak players. Kill total is all that matters; just go after the weak players (or highly damaged players) and spam kill moves. Racking up damage isn't really that important; don't bother with it too much (if you don't rack up damage, someone else will for you). If you are so lucky as to get stock mode, ignore everything I said. Pick a good camping character (Olimar works again!) and just avoid conflict. Also, if you have it in you, politics can help. Making agreements to work with other players can help you make free for alls even more broken and degenerate, but they'll be broken and degenerate in the right way for you to win! Speaking of degenerate, these modes really are degenerate. If you have a smart sounding strategy, it's probably bad. Good strategies for free for alls usually have about as much depth as "spam X powerful move".
I support his post. Do what he says.

mirage_drag0n

Smash Apprentice
BTW do you guys think Link is a good choice?
I mean he can do heaps of damage far away without getting hurt and when he wants to kill just jump in with F-Smash or D-Air.
But I've never played him before and don't know if the's too hard to use in FFA.

Frozt

Smash Apprentice
Samus is actually pretty decent, if you know how to use her. just camp with zair at one edge, this will annoy whoever wanted to fight with you and go back to the crowd, when you can breath charge up and steal the kill with it =) or hunt recovering players with dair.

This or ROB or simply don't play this kind of tournaments, chances are you won't win, people will start to notice you are doing well and gang up on you later on.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Following my basic brawl experience (^^), Samus is a terrible character for FFA in Minutes. She just kills far too late.

Bowser seems to be a very good choice to me, he kills fast and lives long.

Mith_

Smash Champion
BTW do you guys think Link is a good choice?
I mean he can do heaps of damage far away without getting hurt and when he wants to kill just jump in with F-Smash or D-Air.
But I've never played him before and don't know if the's too hard to use in FFA.
Why would you use a character you've never used before at a tournament?

And please don't use Dair.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Guide to FFAs:

1. Pick Snack
2. Spam DAC, nades, and tilts
3. ??????
4. Profit

But seriously, pick Snake.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Mario is always fun =)

Stay out of the way, wait for someone to try and recovery after being launched, pull out your cape as they use the recovery move, and they're done =P

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
Snake, Ike, or Lucas. Camp out while charging smash moves or using projectiles.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Fox. Use your speed to escape the action. Jump over the fray. Dair > Usmash when your opponent is at 100%. Or just run in and KO with Usmash. Usmash, Usmash and more Usmash.

Top Bottom