• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Generation

zrky

Smash Lol'd
This is for a general discussion of what you think is the best generation of Pokémon. So feel free to voice your opinion on why a certain generation is your favorite.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
At time of releases, Gen 1 was the best. No future Pokemon game can compare with the feeling you got from watching Charizard shoot little flame sprites at a Bellsprout.

However, since then, the actual game has progressed. Sure, Red & Blue was the best thing ever, compaired to the current metagame, it is very limited. I'm pretty sure there were only about 10 Pokemon that could actually compete in competitive battling.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Generation 1 without a doubt. I can't wait 'till lowradiation gets here.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The series has definitely progressed since R/B/G/Y; shiny Pokemon didn't exist, Natures and Abilities were created, better graphics made, more complex plots, a divided bag...lots of stuff. Too many things to name. Things were changed, like Magnemite and Bite's type once Dark and Steel were introduced. Even Gust changed types--it used to be Normal. It thoroughly confused me when I was replaying the games, but that's because I'm used to the new.

In any case, I think the original games were the best. The sprites contained an originality that hasn't been matched at all since those games. Now the sprites look great, but something about them almost bores me a bit. You never get bored of the original sprites. The music of the original games was also, in my opinion, the best music yet. The music of the Silph Co. in particular was REALLY memorable and awesome. I bet it'd sound really great if someone did a metal remix of it. The music all perfectly matched the situation, and the cries of the Pokemon are still being used today. Thank god they haven't changed. While they could update them since they're still Gameboy quality, (especially for the 3D games) the cries are good enough that, while it would be nice to have them upgraded simply so they sound better (same exact cry with better quality, in other words), it's not necessary.

As for your point, Zook, on competitivity...for a game like Pokemon where single player is the majority of the game, I say bah to any sort of regards to competitivity. It's great if you want to compete and have tournamnets for it, but you can't say a game is worse for not being something it's not supposed to be. And if the first game in the series wasn't competitively viable, that should've set the standard, and the addition of that ability for newer games should be an addition. For the topic of Smash Bros, it was viable competitively for the first two games, and now in Brawl, it is no longer because Sakurai didn't want us to play that way. Not to start that debate here, but as a counter-example; Pokemon is competitive as an extra, Smash Bros is not.

Plus, as you may or may not know about me, I am a retro gaming type of guy. I almost always love the original better, or at least one of the older games. I like A Link to the Past best for Zelda, Super Metroid best for Metroid, and Donkey Kong 64 best for the Donkey Kong games. On that topic, I'll quote myself from another thread:

New games have killed video games forever. It's doubtful that the same concept of just having a game to play to have fun will ever come back; now we NEED a text-heavy plot, amazing graphics, a million and one additions, and games have to have a purpose; Wii Fit so you can become fit, the whole Wii to "bring families together". Whatever happened to the days of the NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis where games like Sonic & Knuckles needed only brief cutscenes that showed you that Knuckles is your enemy and then that Robotnik betrayed him and he's on your side now, or Super Metroid in which an intro cutscene with text was all that was necessary?

Old games will forever hold a magic that can never be obtained again, unless video game developers end their blind creation of so-called "innovation". I used to have the mindset of "new games are better". For about a month after Brawl came out, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. But I came on these boards and had my eyes opened to what gaming has become, and while it ruined some games for me, it gave a new life to old games and I wouldn't go back to my old mindset for the world.
As I say, out with the new, in with the old.

By the way, thanks zrky, for creating another thread so this debate can end in our thread. :)

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman
Generation 1 without a doubt. I can't wait 'till lowradiation gets here.
I bought Blue when it first came out. I also bought Diamond when it first came out. After playing each game, on opening day, I have decided that Diamond is wayyyyy better than Blue could ever have been. I've never touched Blue or Red since I beat them. I MIGHT OCCASIONALLY restart my Yellow game, but never Red or Blue. They're not any fun to play anymore. The newer games are better. They are obsolete.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I bought Blue when it first came out. I also bought Diamond when it first came out. After playing each game, on opening day, I have decided that Diamond is wayyyyy better than Blue could ever have been. I've never touched Blue or Red since I beat them. I MIGHT OCCASIONALLY restart my Yellow game, but never Red or Blue. They're not any fun to play anymore. The newer games are better. They are obsolete.
I would have to agree with you, since in Diamond and Pearl there are more things to do after you beat the elite four, unlike in the First gen. games, you beat the elite four and to have fun with the game you would have to restart it. But my favorite is still Third Gen., there was just something awsome about it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I would have to agree with you, since in Diamond and Pearl there are more things to do after you beat the elite four, unlike in the First gen. games, you beat the elite four and to have fun with the game you would have to restart it. But my favorite is still Third Gen., there was just something awsome about it.
After the Elite Four you get Mewtwo. End of thread.

All in all, as far as replay value goes, the 3rd and 4th generation win. I will always love the 1st gen the most, but there really is just so much more you can do in the latest games. Plus, they do look nicer overall, but graphics have yet to really win me over in this debate.

I'd love a Pokemon game that combines all of the regions and makes every single Pokemon able to be captured. On top of that, it shouldn't be that you start in one region, then go to the next, beat all the gyms, the elite four there, then move on to the next and do the same. The whole world should be blended together (along with a fifth region perhaps) having you travel from region to region, town to town to complete certain tasks. For example: "Where's the Azure Flute?" NOT IN SINNOH! So you have to go on some epic quest to find it, traveling all over the place, solving puzzles, etc, etc. I want to break my back trying to get a Legendary Pokemon. Finding Moltres in LeafGreen felt great, because you had to traverse the Sevii Islands, fending off a lot to get it. That felt great.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Why Yellow and not Red/Blue? At least Red/Blue have some starter variety. What does Yellow have that Red/Blue doesn't other than Team Rocket from the TV Show? I'm sort of asking because I'm not a huge fan of Yellow and because I can't exactly remember the game all that well either.

So your argument for Fourth Generation is better replay value? Hm. Well, obviously it has more replay value because of a Pokedex 3.5x larger than the start, but I think that just makes it sort of boring. I've completed my Pokedex in Red and Gold (Okay, so I accidentally restarted the game with 2 Pokemon left to collect. I think I can still count that as completing it, since it would've been a matter of a day or so before I got those two; Dragonair and Dragonite.) and the Hoenn and Sinnoh Dexes in Ruby and Diamond. I've almost completed my entire Pokedex in Diamond. But I've stopped at about 450 caught, 475 seen, because I just got BORED. I've got 43 Pokemon left to catch, but I just don't feel like doing it anymore. It's just so tedious to finish the game in fourth gen because you've got 493 Pokemon to get. It has more things to do after the Elite Four, but on the other hand, you have to be REALLY dedicated to do what it takes to truly finish the game. That shouldn't happen, in my opinion. I haven't actually picked up Diamond since I got it to 450 caught, 475 seen (which was about a year ago) to do more than look at one thing or another, or to help my friend out who just restarted his Diamond version (he wasn't satisfied with the way he had trained his Pokemon, etc). I played through my Pearl Version once, and restarted it, but haven't gotten to the second gym yet, because I got tired of it. I played my Red Version twice (I started over once and didn't plan to write over my already complete game, but was going to trade and forgot that that involves saving...yeah, I'm really stupid.) through, not getting bored either time. I've played through my Blue Version at least 3 times, and am playing through it again. And I played through Yellow once (it's still first generation). I also intend to buy a Green Version and play through that (that's first gen too). Point is, I've played through those games a lot, and while they have a lack of things to do once you've done everything, playing through the game again is replay value, and to that end, first generation wins for me.

But if you really like replay value that much, I'm surprised you wouldn't like second generation more. It's got practically a whole other game packed into going into Kanto, complete with a showdown at the end of it all with Red on Mt. Silver. It comes in a close second for me in some departments, but I still say overall, first wins, hands down.

One argument I forgot in my last post was the amount of Pokemon. 151 was a great number. Again, you didn't get bored of finishing the Pokedex 5/6 of the way through, and the Pokemon were great then. Second generation had a great array of Pokemon additions as well, and again, while it took a while, you still didn't get bored finishing the Pokedex. 3rd and 4th generation's Pokemon have gotten uncreative and out of hand. 6 legendaries in 3rd, 12 in 4th. An explosion of Water types (which, by the way, are all similar) and practically no Fire types. Even the legendary trio has the same Pokemon with a different head and different color. 3rd gen even had two interesting Pokemon; Kecleon and Castform. They are such creative ideas, but they've done nothing more with them. No evolution for either of them. It's like nowadays they're just coming up with Pokemon so they can have "100 new Pokemon!" in the advertisement for the game!

New games may be pretty and shiny and have lots of extra features. But they add too much stuff and it turns into...ugh, it just turns into a piece of trash. In my opinion, it takes more than motion sensor/touch screen controls and pretty graphics to make a game. Clearly, Nintendo does not share those views.

roy is my boi

Smash Journeyman
But if you really like replay value that much, I'm surprised you wouldn't like second generation more. It's got practically a whole other game packed into going into Kanto, complete with a showdown at the end of it all with Red on Mt. Silver. It comes in a close second for me in some departments, but I still say overall, first wins, hands down.
this is why i <3 second gen

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Spheal will never replace Seel. Stupid mimic..
Yeah. But at least Spheal is cute. Its evolutions fail, though. Never liked either of them.

But yeah, we have, in the category of fish;

1. Magikarp
  2. Qwilfish
  3. Remoraid
  4. Carvanha
  5. Sharpedo
  6. Whiscash
  7. Relicanth
  8. Luvdisc (wonder what they were on when they invented this one?)
  9. Kyogre
  10. Finneon
  11. Lumineon

And that's a loose list. There are probably some that can/cannot count as fish, but um...yeah. ELEVEN general fish. What are you thinking?

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman
Why Yellow and not Red/Blue? At least Red/Blue have some starter variety. What does Yellow have that Red/Blue doesn't other than Team Rocket from the TV Show? I'm sort of asking because I'm not a huge fan of Yellow and because I can't exactly remember the game all that well either.
Yellow pwns R/B. I like how the rival has an Eevee. I like being able to get Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle between your arrival in Cereluan to your departure from Vermillion. I like how they put more effort into colors for Yellow. Plus, we all know G/S/C is an extension of Yellow, not R/B. I know that the character is named Red, but he has a Pikachu. Plus, Blue is the name of Red's rival, so it could just be that they're both named after a game. Yellow is a much better game then R/B.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Why in the hell is Palkia a water type? Come on... don't we have enough water types in the 4th Gen? It should be Psychic if anything. They seemed mighty desperate when designing Dialga, Pakia, and Giratina (let's have a futuristic Dragon trio, but they have to be types that have not been prominent in the legendary status - Water, Steel, and Ghost). No relation between those types. The three Dragons are supposed to balance the Universe, but where in the hell do Water and Steel come into play?

Ghost is understandable because it deals with spirits, the afterlife, the connection between all living things, etc, etc, but Water and Steel? Water is relevant to life on Earth, but is not necessarily relevant to ALL life. Seeing as how the Pokemon world is based on what's supposed to be some alternate-Earth, perhaps it does have an importance. Steel, however, is a manufactured compound. I've always wanted it to be "metal", because that would encompass any and all types of metals, but steel is very specific.

However, relating Water with Space, and Steel with Time seems moronic to me. No relation at all there. Electric could be relevant. Psychic could be relevant. But conceptually, Water and Steel are very wrong.

We've not had a Bug, Poison, Fighting, or Normal legendary yet, have we? I'd like to see a giant, gnarly bug Pokemon as a Legendary, found deep within a desert or something.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yellow pwns R/B. I like how the rival has an Eevee. I like being able to get Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle between your arrival in Cereluan to your departure from Vermillion. I like how they put more effort into colors for Yellow. Plus, we all know G/S/C is an extension of Yellow, not R/B. I know that the character is named Red, but he has a Pikachu. Plus, Blue is the name of Red's rival, so it could just be that they're both named after a game. Yellow is a much better game then R/B.
But everything's always the same. You can't pick Eevee and your rival can't pick Pikachu. If you could start with Eevee...now that would give some options. You can get all three starters, but you don't even have to work at it and they're completely random. Oh, you walked into my house, have a Bulbasaur! Oh, you ran into me on this random route. Have my Charmander! Hey, you're a guy I met randomly in town. Have my Squirtle! And the fact that you get all three in a matter of what can be 5 minutes is totally insane.

As for colors in Yellow, keep in mind that Yellow came out after R/B/G. At the point they came out, it was basically a month and a half before the Gameboy Color came out. Without the Gameboy Color, all you see is black, white, and gray, so obviously making vibrant colors wasn't a great incentive. Yellow came out about a year after those games, meaning the Gameboy Color had been out for a while, so obviously having color made more sense.

The sprites were ruined in Yellow, in my opinion. It looks to me like they took the look from the TV show (which makes sense since the game was based on it; another problem I have with the game). R/B had a creative style, and while some of the pokemon looked a little odd, it looked AWESOME. Dragonite looks totally bad*** in R/B, he looks creepy and tough. In Yellow, he looks like he's supposed to be all nice and kind. He's a DRAGON, he shouldn't look like that! Likewise, Mewtwo almost looks like he's smiling in Yellow! What the heck is up with that? Ugh...the sprites in Yellow don't match up to the other first gen sprites--they just don't.

As for G/S/C being an extension of Yellow; since WHEN? Who KNOWS this? G/S/C would be based on the TV show if it were an extension of it. You start out with whichever Pokemon you choose, not a Pikachu. Red has a Pikachu because, um...Pikachu is available in Red/Blue? It's one of the best Pokemon to put on your team, especially if you didn't start out with Bulbasaur, so you can beat Misty. It's also the earliest Electric type, and you don't get another one until much later. It's smart to get Pikachu, so that proves nothing.

And if Red and Blue are named after Red and Blue, then um...where's Yellow? You're Gold, Silver, or Crystal, so where is Yellow? Professor Oak? He's not there. Yellow is a spinoff game of sorts. It is the ONLY game that hasn't stuck to the formula of Fire/Grass/Water starter. If it had meant to be more than something for people who like the TV show, it wouldn't have adopted ideas that were never carried over to the next gen.

Red/Blue wins. Yellow fails. That is all.

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman
Why in the hell is Palkia a water type? Come on... don't we have enough water types in the 4th Gen? It should be Psychic if anything. They seemed mighty desperate when designing Dialga, Pakia, and Giratina (let's have a futuristic Dragon trio, but they have to be types that have not been prominent in the legendary status - Water, Steel, and Ghost). No relation between those types. The three Dragons are supposed to balance the Universe, but where in the hell do Water and Steel come into play?

Ghost is understandable because it deals with spirits, the afterlife, the connection between all living things, etc, etc, but Water and Steel? Water is relevant to life on Earth, but is not necessarily relevant to ALL life. Seeing as how the Pokemon world is based on what's supposed to be some alternate-Earth, perhaps it does have an importance. Steel, however, is a manufactured compound. I've always wanted it to be "metal", because that would encompass any and all types of metals, but steel is very specific.

However, relating Water with Space, and Steel with Time seems moronic to me. No relation at all there. Electric could be relevant. Psychic could be relevant. But conceptually, Water and Steel are very wrong.

We've not had a Bug, Poison, Fighting, or Normal legendary yet, have we? I'd like to see a giant, gnarly bug Pokemon as a Legendary, found deep within a desert or something.
I think that the creators were trying to eliminate the dragon type's weakness to ice attacks, with Dialga and Palkia.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Arceus is Normal unless you give it a plate to hold. And a bug legendary would be cool. The other two you mentioned, are alittle hard to make as legendaries.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think that the creators were trying to eliminate the dragon type's weakness to ice attacks, with Dialga and Palkia.
I really hate the type system. I would like Pokemon to be able to fend off depending on their natural traits, not just their "type". I really hate that a Goldeen can kill an Onix with a few water guns. It's like, "oh, well I guess shooting some water completely erodes the gigantic Onix's rock-solid body." It has never made sense to me.

Now, regarding Pokemon like Onix, Steelix, and Wailord... they could easily crush and kill just about any other Pokemon - realistically. However, the Pokemon world is very unrealistic, and the devs try their best to make it that way. I'm a conceptual kind of guy; I don't care about the type system and all that calculation crap. I want something that feels natural and real.

Arceus is Normal unless you give it a plate to hold. And a bug legendary would be cool. The other two you mentioned, are alittle hard to make as legendaries.
Well they made Shaymin and Cresselia... I think just about anything goes at this point.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well they made Shaymin and Cresselia... I think just about anything goes at this point.
True.

But speaking of, Shaymin doesn't count as a legendary, even with the addition of Failed Potato. So I'm still waiting for my Grass Legendary.

I still say Shaymin's awesome though. You never know, he could have some secret ninja skills or...never mind, that sentence was too stupid to finish.

I must be tired or something, why would I say something like that?

Spire

III
BRoomer
True.

But speaking of, Shaymin doesn't count as a legendary, even with the addition of Failed Potato. So I'm still waiting for my Grass Legendary.

I still say Shaymin's awesome though. You never know, he could have some secret ninja skills or...never mind, that sentence was too stupid to finish.

Soon, Shaymin will find the Chaos Emeralds and turn into Super Shaymin. Stupid hedgehogs.

I'd like a Grass legendary also. Shaymin is unfortunately a legendary Pokemon, even though it's an event Pokemon. Wait a minute... now why the hell would they give an event Pokemon a new form? Odds are, most people are never going to get a Shaymin, period. Yet, of course, this worthless little thing gets a new form, which kills it even more. AGH, I'm sick of bad decisions.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Soon, Shaymin will find the Chaos Emeralds and turn into Super Shaymin. Stupid hedgehogs.

I'd like a Grass legendary also. Shaymin is unfortunately a legendary Pokemon, even though it's an event Pokemon. Wait a minute... now why the hell would they give an event Pokemon a new form? Odds are, most people are never going to get a Shaymin, period. Yet, of course, this worthless little thing gets a new form, which kills it even more. AGH, I'm sick of bad decisions.
Well like I said in your 5th gen. thread, if someone could link some of these threads to nintendo in an e-mail, then that would be great for those of us who still have high hopes for a good 5th gen. game.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

*GASP* You did not just insult Sonic! Take that back. Now.
Well, new Sonic, (just like Failed Potato, a.k.a. new Shaymin) you can insult. But not the old.

Why did they give Deoxys different forms? The world may never know.

Perhaps Shaymin will be non-event in Platinum. No matter what happens, though, I'm taking every Shaymin in the world off of Platinum so it will stay in ground form. That's right, I'm going to sneak into people's houses and move their Shaymins to a Diamond or Pearl cart to make it a ground form. :laugh:

Also, I made up my mind; I already restarted my Pearl version, and I'm not very far, so I'm going to put Shaymin on my team and train it up. That's right, I'm going to train it and make it tough. Its stats aren't stellar, but they're nothing to sneeze at either. Although oddly enough, according to Serebii, all of Shaymin's stats, when maxed out completely, are the exact same, except for HP. That's actually nice, because it means that it's viable for whatever you wish. See, it's NOT useless.

Spire

III
BRoomer
*GASP* You did not just insult Sonic! Take that back. Now.
Well, new Sonic, (just like Failed Potato, a.k.a. new Shaymin) you can insult. But not the old.
I was referring to new-gen Sonic. He's more of an impostor than Shadow.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I dunno. I like IV starters alot(Turtwig ftw?)

and IV pseudo Legendary you can get as soon as you get Strength. I just hope in Platinum team Galactic would stand a chance. I mean I almost fell asleep fighting Cyrus. Dialga and Palkia were easy to catch(okay maybe not a bad thing) But then making Diagla have the only Dragon Hyper Beam is not fair :( But a steel and Dragon type......wtf hax...but then that makes Lucario the best bet at fighting Dialga, as Roar of time won't affect Lucario o_0 as dragon types don't effect steel....but i don't know :p

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I dunno. I like IV starters alot(Turtwig ftw?)

and IV pseudo Legendary you can get as soon as you get Strength. I just hope in Platinum team Galactic would stand a chance. I mean I almost fell asleep fighting Cyrus. Dialga and Palkia were easy to catch(okay maybe not a bad thing) But then making Diagla have the only Dragon Hyper Beam is not fair :( But a steel and Dragon type......wtf hax...but then that makes Lucario the best bet at fighting Dialga, as Roar of time won't affect Lucario o_0 as dragon types don't effect steel....but i don't know :p
Wait, Dialga having Roar of Time is not fair? If you compare Spacial Rend and Roar of Time, Spacial Rend comes out ahead. Not only does it do 95 base damage as opposed to Roar of Time's 150, so in the turn Dialga's recovering it could be doing a total of 190, but it has a high critical-hit ratio--meaning it could hit up to 380 if you're really lucky, or 275 if you're not as lucky. Even in one hit with a critical hit, it comes out ahead of Roar of Time by 40. Spacial Rend wins all over the place. I say it's unfair in that respect, not the other way. Not that I actually use Dialga anyways, but Roar of Time is a pretty meh move in my opinion. I hate wait-a-turn moves.

jigglyppuff8 said:
I vote 4th gen. 4th gen has wi-fi. Wi-fi encourages competetivity. Competetivity is good.
Wait, 4th gen wins because it encourages competitivity?

Competitivity does not make up the Pokemon series. Its epic 1 player does. Competitivity is nice after you've done everything in the game as multiplayer. I don't think it should be a judging criteria for the Pokemon games. Competitivity is great, but not good enough to make the failure-of-a-gen 4th gen win.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Wait, Dialga having Roar of Time is not fair? If you compare Spacial Rend and Roar of Time, Spacial Rend comes out ahead. Not only does it do 95 base damage as opposed to Roar of Time's 150, so in the turn Dialga's recovering it could be doing a total of 190, but it has a high critical-hit ratio--meaning it could hit up to 380 if you're really lucky, or 275 if you're not as lucky. Even in one hit with a critical hit, it comes out ahead of Roar of Time by 40. Spacial Rend wins all over the place. I say it's unfair in that respect, not the other way. Not that I actually use Dialga anyways, but Roar of Time is a pretty meh move in my opinion. I hate wait-a-turn moves.

Wait, 4th gen wins because it encourages competitivity?

Competitivity does not make up the Pokemon series. Its epic 1 player does. Competitivity is nice after you've done everything in the game as multiplayer. I don't think it should be a judging criteria for the Pokemon games. Competitivity is great, but not good enough to make the failure-of-a-gen 4th gen win.
I have Palkia AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE SPACIAL REND

what i meant was that its no fair that Dialga ONLY gets Roar of Time. But that could be countered because it needs to recharge. And i love how spacial rend is like a critical monster. But then Dialga being part steel kinda screw's dragon type moves because dragon moves suck against steel. But Palkia getting Aura sphere can offset that dragon weakness, as we all know fighting is x2 effective against steel types.

The only thing that saved 4th Gen was Wi-Fi. Even though i like team Galactic, they sucked hard. If Platinum had things that made Gen I and II great then i'll be happy.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
hemmm, second gen is my vote. It's two gen in a box (or game card). Fighting red was one of if not the most epic thing in the games yet. It even has it's hidden connections with the manga. Plus almost every pokemon (at that time) is avalible (like the 4th gen) but the good thing is you dont have to wait for a mass outbreak or use poke radar to catch them all.

A lot of things were introduced (shinys) plus you could meet your pokemon in the daycare (no stupid amity square). It had a lot to do (maybe not as much as gen nowaday but still a huge improvment from 1st gen).

Then there's day and night features that made it like your in the game and the fact that certain pokemon appear at certain times was really cool. It also had the first 100% shiny and a lot of cool legendaries. There"s a lot more but I have probably frogotten.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I have Palkia AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE SPACIAL REND

what i meant was that its no fair that Dialga ONLY gets Roar of Time. But that could be countered because it needs to recharge. And i love how spacial rend is like a critical monster. But then Dialga being part steel kinda screw's dragon type moves because dragon moves suck against steel. But Palkia getting Aura sphere can offset that dragon weakness, as we all know fighting is x2 effective against steel types.

The only thing that saved 4th Gen was Wi-Fi. Even though i like team Galactic, they sucked hard. If Platinum had things that made Gen I and II great then i'll be happy.
Well, to be fair, Darkrai does too.
But Palkia is also the only one (besides Darkrai, again) who gets Spacial Rend.

Even Wi-Fi is just kind of...well, it's been nice on occasion, because my friend and I have used it for voice chat while we play Wii games online, but other than that, I've only used it for some trades which I feel sort of guilty about--they got me Pokemon I didn't have access to, and shiny Pokemon I've always wanted, but it's like "Oh, I want this Pokemon...I'll just trade online with someone!" I could avoid it if I want to, but if the option's there, it's hard to resist temptation. My friends don't tend to play games as intensely as I do (although not many people do :laugh:), so I've not gotten to use it very much, and maybe that's affecting me. Still, I think it's a mere extra and while great, nothing that saves the gen. Team Galactic has THE WORST haircuts, THE WORST hair color, THE WORST uniforms, and they're all just stupid. And the whole plot was a clone of third gen's plot. And that only touches the surface, there's a TON more.

I'll say first generation, but I like a lot of pokes from every generation.
While Pokemon obviously play a part in which generation is the best, this is referring to the generation in general--like Red/Blue/Green/Yellow, Gold/Silver/Crystal, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, and Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Actually, I thought Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald had the best selection of Pokemon. Fourth gen had a crappy set because most fourth gen sucked (Piplup was cool, and Dialga and Palkia had potential, but were ruined).

Ban3

Smash Journeyman
is fighting for his friends at Sugar Land TEXAS
hemmm, second gen is my vote. It's two gen in a box (or game card). Fighting red was one of if not the most epic thing in the games yet. It even has it's hidden connections with the manga. Plus almost every pokemon (at that time) is avalible (like the 4th gen) but the good thing is you dont have to wait for a mass outbreak or use poke radar to catch them all.

A lot of things were introduced (shinys) plus you could meet your pokemon in the daycare (no stupid amity square). It had a lot to do (maybe not as much as gen nowaday but still a huge improvment from 1st gen).

Then there's day and night features that made it like your in the game and the fact that certain pokemon appear at certain times was really cool. It also had the first 100% shiny and a lot of cool legendaries. There"s a lot more but I have probably frogotten.
Second generation FTW!
Anyway, I just loved my Typhlosion (fixed) and especially my Lugia!
quoted 4 truth

BlackFoxPariah

Smash Apprentice
The 1st generation will always be my favorite and has the best replay value in my opinion. I got my gameboy color and pokemon red back when I was in first grade and that was the coolest thing you could own at the time. Everyone playing and trading/battling just made the atmosphere in which we played in more fun. I don't know if it's because I was young and everything seemed awesome, or if it was that this was my first major adventure game- but that game was just so much fun to play over again. I probably restarted my game 50 times and loved it each time. If I could replay any game for the first time- it'd be pokemon Red at recess with my friends.

In my area, by the time Silver/Gold came about the number of pokemon players had kind of dwindled a bit from the R/B/Y days. However, people still played these games and loved it as much as the first ones. Silver is special to me because it brought back the memories of playing red version. It was 2 games packed in one. The battle at the end with Red made a great finisher too.

Ruby/Sapphire is the generation that sticks out the least to me. The pokemon started getting a bit ridiculous and felt like recycled pokemon of previous generations. The gameplay was fun as it had the best graphics to date in a handheld pokemon game which made it felt new. Another new region which I felt enjoyable too.

Diamond and Pearl
Probably the last time I will invest in a Pokemon game. This game has amazing features that the previous games lacked. However, I feel the pokemon in this game were a stretch and just were to bizarre. The first gen ones seemed perfect- even the second gen ones too. After that I felt it should stop but because they still made money of course new games = new pokemon. The game was fun. GTS is awesome. It just lacks the magic that the first generation had and as well as the second one.

1 and 2 gen are the best imo.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Actually, I thought Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald had the best selection of Pokemon. Fourth gen had a crappy set because most fourth gen sucked (Piplup was cool, and Dialga and Palkia had potential, but were ruined).
I completely agree with this, except that I would add Empoleon to the list of awsomes and Skorupi. IMO the best overall including Story, Pokémon, Charcters, everything was the Third Gen. no contest.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
True.

Celebi says hi. The disappointing thing about Shaymin is that it's one of the only legendaries that have shallow movepools. IMO, it's the massive movepools that makes legendaries ubers. Also, Shaymin does have an alternate form in Pokemon Platinum, that may be the source of the ninja skills you speak of.

Gen I
-- In my opinion, the Pokemon in this gen were even weirder than the ones in the newer generations. Seriously, Mr. Mime and Jynx didn't seem like "Pokemon". They seemed more like humans. Also, there was an assload of useless pokemon in this gen. 80% of the Pokemon weren't worth capturing, and collecting them all felt like you were raising weak Pokemon you would never use again. Attacks didn't even have stats, so it's almost impossible to know how strong an attack really is. Learning moves is like, "Hey! This animation looks cooler so I'll keep this attack!". Nobody can tell whether flamethrower is better than fire spin. The same problem goes with accuracy. Battling via link cable was also pretty lame. After the new features added in the next generations, r/b/y seemed like crap.

Gen II
-- Significantly better than the original. More Pokemon made catching them all seem impossible, but as you get farther in the game, you realize that there's only 100 more to go, and it seemed plausible. Being able to press A to use an HM on the field (i.e. surf and cut) was a huge time saver. Numbers were added to tell how strong a move was too. Being the only Pokemon game with two regions made this game stand out. Up to 16 badges could be collected, too bad you can only see 8 of them. Breeding Pokemon was introduced. Legendary dogs that run away from you...There's a lot more this gen has to offer, but I haven't played it in a while. This game was one of the best, however still has the issue of useless Pokemon.

Gen III
-- Personally, my favorite of all generations. RUNNING was introduced, pure win. 202 Pokemon in the Pokedex, because of this I actually tried completing my Pokedex, and succeeded. I recommend the newer Pokemon games to have around 200-300 Pokemon, just like what r/s did by removing some Pokemon. By removing the less popular Pokemon, the more useless Pokemon seemed to have vanished away. Though useless Pokemon were still evident (Spinda... he's still good for EV training sp.atk), they were less common. Two different bikes made exploration *gasp* FUN! Backtracking to explore new areas was enjoyable with HMs, but now you can actually do some exploration without the help of your Pokemon. Doing bunny hops with the Acro Bike will never get old, as re-trekking through the Sky Pillar with the Mach Bike. Tons of new attacks, abilities, pokemon contests, tons of berries, double battles, and secret bases made everything a fun experience. The trick house (whatever it's called) south of Mauville City was one of my most favorite things in the whole game. I also love the ocean. Back in the day, surfing in water had the same wild pokemon rate has grass. Surfing no longer gives you a billion random battles with Tentacool! Team Magma and Team Aqua, villians with *gasp* realistic goals! Easily most improved Pokemon game

Gen IV
-- WiFi, massive Pokedex, Poketch, and many other features made their debut in d/p. Team Galactic were total pushovers... with good taste in music. Some evolutions weren't needed, others just needed better sprites. Gastrodon looks ugly as **** from behind (literally). Tangrowth wasn't very creative, Lickilicky needed a new name, and less body fat. Seriously, Lickitung needed an evolution, but not into THIS thing... I'd rather have a Lickitung with two heads than Lickilicky. Probopass needs a Mario stache', not this chimney cleaner. Having ALL 493 Pokemon in the Pokedex makes it near impossible to complete. The new Pokemon contests require timing and luck instead of skill (r/s). If the new Pokemon didn't suck, pokemon contests strill require skill, amity park lets you bring in what YOU think pokemon are cute, etc etc... d/p could've been better. Many, many apps on the Poketch were useless. If more sidequests, and maybe some story required you to use the Poketch, it would've been cool. The only real use I had for it was to find hidden items (good), see when my pokemon laid an egg (good), find cresselia and azelf (okay I guess), and to check my Pokemon's friendship (good). Everything else was mostly crap. The underground had so much more potential, they could keep the ability to fight the owner of the secret base, and let the other player's secret base stay there instead of disappearing when they had to go. If the underground actually progressed the story, it would've been cool. But it was just a side feature, so that random npcs could talk about how "cool" it is. Capturing Spiritomb was also a hassle.

Now that the bad is done, some good parts include physical/special split. I always wanted this since gen I. New attacks are very refreshing. New effects for attacks are also nice (gyro ball ftw). Battling mechanics are very well suited for competition. New type combinations are also very interesting (toxicroak=awesome). I only wish there were more Pokemon with the same type pairing, instead of recycling old type pairings (i.e. more water/steel, less water/ground we have 4 of them already: quagsire, whiscash, swampert, gastrodon). Tons of new hold items makes competitive battling even more interesting. Light Clay to extend Reflect and Light Screen's longevity, Heat Rock, Wet Rock, etc for extending weather. If only if there was something to improve Tailwind... it only lasts 3 turns instead of 5, and there's no item to improve it. Trick Room allows the originally useless Pokemon to have some potential. Shuckle+Trick Room+Power Trick= moar power than Deoxys-f and Marowak with Thick Club. In conclusion, d/p is good for competition, horrible for story.

tl;dr: III>IV>II>I generations.

Spire

III
BRoomer
****it, I have gorilla glue stuck on my fingers AND NOW THE KEYBOARD.

Top Bottom