• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Legal Stages for Ness?

PK_Lunar_π_03

Smash Cadet
I would love for some advice for the best Stages for Ness or a website to show the blast zones for all Legal Stages?

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Here's my list of legal stages that are good and bad for Ness.

Good:
Final Destination
Ness thrives from space and final destination is big. Its a basic flat stage that doesn't interfere with any of Ness' moves. Also doing a 2nd PK Thunder off the wall is way easier and there is less of a chance of it colliding with the stage itself.

Smashville
This stage is of medium size and has one platform constantly moving left and right. You can shark with Up air from underneath the platform. Also you can hang out on the platform if you want to chill for a few seconds in the fight.

Delfino Plaza: This is one of my favorite stages for Ness. Transitions can make blast zones very small which can result in some early kills from Back Throw. Ness' recovery can travel through the delfino platform. Overall a great stage. But remember people can kill you at early percents too from stage transitions.

Halberd: Similar to Delfino it has transitions which can result in early kills and also Ness' recovery can go through the platform while the stage is in flight. When you land on the ship recovery can be a bit wonky from the sides so try to let it pass if you are having trouble.

Dreamland: This stage is also great imo. Its very big and the platforms are spaced out enough so they don't get in the way. The wind from wispy can be a little bit annoying though.

Town and City is relatively large and its platforms are high up. Definitely a good stage.

In the Middle

Battlefield: Smallish and sometimes platforms get in the way.

Bad stages

Lylat Cruise: This stage is downright awful. Lylat cruise's tilting stage causes pk fire to collide with the stage and making it go out. (As if it hit sheild) Also because of the tilting recovery is wonky.

Duck Hunt: This stage is big but the ducks get in the way sometimes with PK thunder. Also there are platforms that are sort of hidden in the trees that can collide with pk thunder also.

Castle Siege: Even though this stage has transitions, recovering in certain transitions is wonky and the statues on the 2nd transition messes with pk fire and thunder. Also the stage's blast zones are kind of big so killing can be a chore sometimes.

Whelp that's about it. Hope this was helpful. :)

Asa

Smash Hero
Seige is top 3 stages for ness with fd and smashville imo. How is recovering wonky on any transition?

Noa.

Smash Master
Yeah Lochy, Castle Siege is like Ness's best stage.

Here's my opinion:

I stopped counterpicking Halberd like two weeks after the release of Smash Wii U. It's just not super great for Ness. I would say only like a fourth of my KOs are done with uair, and that's our only way to kill vertically.

Though lately I have been thinking about counterpicking it more often. The fact that you can pk thunder through the stage on the first transformation is really useful and it's a good stage for Ness if you can exploit that.

But yeah it's one of the few stages I stay away from.

I love Duck Hunt. My favorite stage to take Luigi to. The ceiling is large, and there is lots of space to run around. This means it's easier to run away from Luigi or any other slow character if you're feeling pressured. Plus the walls are so easy to thunderbounce off of. I love it a lot.

I haven't posted in this thread actually.

So almost every stage is good for Ness. It just depends on the matchup. There are some general trends to help pick stages though.

Longer stages are nice against characters that Ness is more mobile than. And if you want to play a matchup defensively against a slower character you should go to a shorter stage.

Vice versa if you're playing against a fast character. I prefer shorter stages against characters that are faster than Ness. It gives them less room to take advantage of the fact that they can travel across the stage faster than me.

Platforms are on a case by case basis.

Stages with low ceilings don't help Ness that much. I know I don't get most of my kills with uair. I rely very heavilly on bthrow, bair, and dsmash to KO. So many of the other top tier characters have superior vertical KO options than us, so I tend to stay away from low ceilings. But if you're playing against a character with no vertical kill options, go for it!

Stages with transformations are wonderful for Ness. They remove the bottom blast zone so during transformations Ness's biggest weakness, his recovery, is removed! Plus transformation stages tend to have walk offs and walk offs are amazing for Ness. His fthrow and bthrow are so threatening and you can get a very early kill off of a read.

So keeping all of that in mind lets go through the stages.

In terms of length the longest ones are

Duck Hunt, Final Destination, Town and City, Halberd 2nd transformation

Shortest ones are

Smashville, Castle Siege 1st transformation

The other ones are pretty medium length I find. Only these stages really stick out to me in how their length matters.

Low ceilings:

Halberd, and then Town and City

For specifics about each stage:

FD: Because there are no platforms it's easier to land pkt2s in the middle of a pk thunder juggle. This stage is better against characters that have trouble getting juggled. If you catch them without a double jump in the middle of a juggle, you can kill them easily with pkt2. Also because there are no platforms, it is harder to get back on stage from the ledge. So against characters or players that are good at ledge guarding, avoid this stage.

Battlefield: This stage has a slightly higher ceiling than FD. Barely worth mentioning but it's there. On this stage you can usually pk thunder juggle more safely. You can cancel your pk thunder on platforms if you miss, and if opponents air dodge through your pk thunder they might land on a platform instead of the stage. It is harder to land pkt2 on this stage however because you have to pk thunder around the platforms. The platforms are nice for dthrow combos and stuff. And they help us get back on stage while we're on the ledge.

Smashville: The platform can lead to killing very early on our side and theirs. Rage fthrow, or just killing with bthrow earlier. You can also do a dthrow to triple fair right into the blast zone. It's a very good platform for Ness to get kills. It's also an amazing platform to get out of juggles and ledge guards. It helps a lot when you're recovering too. So this stage depends on the matchup. If you find that you're usually in advantage, and most of the match you're edgeguarding them, and juggling them, stay away from this map. If it's vice versa, then stick to this map. It can be harder to pk thunder juggle cause opponents can land on the platform and just shield while they're recovering offstage.

Lylat Cruise: It's not mega awful but it is Ness's worst stage. Recovering here is not as problematic thanks to the patch, but can be annoying due to tilting. It's very difficult to abuse the platforms. This stage is not good for Ness. It's one of your default bans, but sometimes other stages are a higher priority depending on the character. If you're not sure though, just ban this stage.

Town and City: I honestly don't really notice the platforms too much on this stage. I don't have much to say about them. It has the second shortest ceiling, and is one of the longer stages.

Castle Siege: probably Ness's best stage. The first transformation is really useful for combos cause it's so small and you can bait people into airdodging and landing on the platforms with landing lag. Plus walls are nice for thunderbouncing. The second stage is great for early kill throws. And the statues can create walls of pk fire in the neutral which is very interesting in useful. Love the second transformation! The third transformation is whatever.

Delfino: Another great Ness stage. No recovering, walkoffs, all great! The water is really great for spiking people, and you can take that chance with Ness. It can be very dangerous against other characters that have spikes though. I don't have much to say about the default layout.

Halberd: Shortest ceiling in the game and it shows. The first transformation allows you to use pk thunder through the stage, so this can allow for creative pk thunder juggling and pkt2s. Very nice aspect of this stage. The second transformation is incredibly long, and everything that usually comes into play with long stages is true here. I barely notice the hazards when I play here. I don't pick this stage much just cause ness only has uair.

Duck Hunt: High ceiling, long stage. Walls allow for good bouncing. The platforms aren't super mega useful or important at this point. But perhaps in a couple years the intricacy of the platforms will be explored.

So every stage is useful except for Lylat. Though I don't pick Town and City or Halberd often at all. I love Siege and Delfino the most, though I counterpick all of the other stages depending on the matchup.
It comes from this thread that had quite a bit of posts about it:

http://smashboards.com/threads/stage-discussion.403489/

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Seige is top 3 stages for ness with fd and smashville imo. How is recovering wonky on any transition?
I think I need to look over the stage. I'm just being stupid lol. Also I like never play on that stage so I don't really know much about the stage. Pardon me on that sorry. :(

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
@ PK_Lunar_π_03 PK_Lunar_π_03 disregard most of what I said please. (For the love of all that is holy please pretend I didn't even post) Noa knows so much more than me about stages. Ask him about it. I thought castle siege was bad for Ness (stupid Lochy!:()

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
@ PK_Lunar_π_03 PK_Lunar_π_03 disregard most of what I said please. (For the love of all that is holy please pretend I didn't even post) Noa knows so much more than me about stages. Ask him about it. I thought castle siege was bad for Ness (stupid Lochy!:()
Lol stop saying you're stupid. Smashville is one of Ness's best stages and I don't like it that much. Stages are more about personal preference more than anything else. Also if you haven't played in the stage much it would be easy to see why you dislike it. It takes a bit of practice to get used to. And we all make mistakes. :V

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Top:
Smashville
Final Destination
Duck Hunt

High:
Castle Seige

Mid:
Battlefield
Town and City
Delfino

Low:
Dreamland
Halberd

**** this ****:
Lylat

Bear in mind that Ness actually cares very little about stages for himself. You should mostly be picking the stages based on your opponent. Don't ask what YOU want from the stage, ask yourself what THEY want, and pick stages where you can deny them that. Do they want low ceilings? Take them to FD or Duck Hunt. Do they want gimps? Go to Castle Seige or Delfino. Just make sure you know the blastzones of stages and how the platforms work. Oh, and remember that Ness doesn't KO off the top nearly as much as he KOs off the sides, which is why I rate the low ceiling stages low.

Duck Hunt, BF, and FD have high ceilings.
Halberd, Dreamland, and Delfino have very low ones.

You can wall bounce recover successfully off of Seige, FD, and especiall Duck Hunt.

Noa.

Smash Master
Ness is decent on every stage except Lylat. That's the only stage you should never counted pick. All other stages can be useful depending on the matchup.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Lol stop saying you're stupid. Smashville is one of Ness's best stages and I don't like it that much. Stages are more about personal preference more than anything else. Also if you haven't played in the stage much it would be easy to see why you dislike it. It takes a bit of practice to get used to. And we all make mistakes. :V
Thanks man. Its a personal thing but I will try to head back to those stages to see if I like them or not.

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
I tend to pick stages that help (close horizontal blast zones) or will hurt the opponent.

Ive found a recent love for Halberd,especially the transformation with the laser. You can thunderbounce the lips to get back if you're underneath. It takes a bit of practice, but it's possibly and looks flashy af. I like it cause a lot of pepe can't do anything about getting caught there.

But smashville, fd, and duck hunt are my main picks. Battlefield isn't bad if you're good at sharking and putting a bunch of pressure. Just gotta get used to the weird thunderbounce areas.

Never fo to lylat and ban if you can. Though, in my experience, most people don't want to go there.

Really, just pick based on what will hurt your opponent cause Ness has kill moves everywhere at all angles

Top Bottom