• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best number of people for smash Bros as party game?

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
What's the best number of people playing smash as a party game?

GhostM

Phantom
For me personally, I feel like around 4-5 players is perfect to play smash with. 6 players might be manageable, but I guess it depends on the stage since it’s sort of hectic. Going above six is too chaotic, and makes you feel like you’re spending more time getting hit than actually doing the attacking.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I am a fuddy duddy and can't experience the sensation of fun in anything that isn't a 1v1 match.

Tankdank

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7959-0645-5771
Ideal number for my friend is 4-6. More than that and it gets crazy even without items. We also play with items because it's a fun time.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Between 4 and 6. At least 4 gives you nive multiplayer party fun, but more than 6 creates chaos (and a headache to clean up after).

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
6 people, but only 4 playing at the same time. To not make everyone tired of play all the time and for things to not get too much chaotic.

PF9

Smash Lord
If you really want to bring out the party game aspect, turn off the in-game music, and play from some other device 1980s/early 1990s hard rock and metal.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I'd say 4 is the ideal number. With that, rotating 1v1s, 2v2s, and ffa's are all enjoyable. With 5, you can't do 2v2s without some sort of round-robin thing where players take turns sitting out. If you do tourneys, there's always two people who have to fight for quarterfinals. ffas break the threshold for some maps to transition into big mode, and you can't play certain custom stages. 6 people is too much chaos for me in a ffa, though 3v3s are a ton of fun.

I'd go with 4.

6 people, but only 4 playing at the same time. To not make everyone tired of play all the time and for things to not get too much chaotic.
Usually when we have 4, we'll rotate between doing 2s, ffas, and 1v1s, so the 1v1s gives a good break where you watch other people do competitive matches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom