• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best pit counter?

will388

Smash Cadet
Pit is good.. REALLY freakin good.. i have a friend that uses pit when im done wrecking his wolf, i havent played him in about a week or so but what would u consider to be the best pit counter? He spams arrows, forcing me to approach etc, typical pit camper

i played with pit and hes INSANELY good when u know how to use him, but i refuse to use him because my friend is using him, i want to own him without using -his- character. So my question is what do people consider to be a good pit counter character(i would say immense pressure would work but im curious about who excels at shutting him down)? Im also trying to decide on a main right now, so that counter could possibly be my main

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
Characters like Pikachu who can crawl. Kirby also works cause you can shut pit up from arrow spamming by using final cutter and you won't have to worry about it being reflected <and> hitting you, plus you can duck the arrows. Kirby also makes a really good edge guarder so if someone's coming from under the stage, you can chase after them when he's using Pit's up B to get back on stage (hit them and they won't be able to use that again).

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
You might want to try using Marth or Ike. Ike is slow, so you might be at a disadvantage if your friend is good, but Marth is quick and has a nice counter to go along with his other useful attacks. Rolling across the stage works well in most cases, just stop right outside the reach of his smashes, both Marth and Ike have a longer range.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Marth was always overpowered, and I still say Pit is a counter to Pika, and those reflectors of his are the particular reason.
As for Kirby, I'm going to deal with him personally.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
I noticed people tend to do better against me when playing toon link even when its not their main. That said those are generally the people who can't beat me so I'm not sure. I don't think he has any real pure counter yet but toon link would be my recommendation.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
i would say ike.......my friend mains ike once he gets the first jab in your stunned and take the other two hits....then u go flying. so just get in close and use the jab pretty much

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I noticed people tend to do better against me when playing toon link even when its not their main. That said those are generally the people who can't beat me so I'm not sure. I don't think he has any real pure counter yet but toon link would be my recommendation.
If you play a lot of TL you'll know that it's definitely the other way around... Pit is a beast against Toon Link.

Ky Kiske

Smash Ace
To make this discussion a little more focused, we need some general info first.

-What are Pit's weaknesses? (to be provided by Pit players or those who have lots of experience against Pit)
-Ways to deal with arrow spam?
-Finally, characters that can give Pit a run for his money including character specific strats.

Scio

Smash Rookie
Addressing the characters that crawl.. I am pretty sure crawling doesn't really work against Pit's arrows because he can bend them down... or at least thats what I do right before it hits the opponent. So character's that crawl won't really be THAT effective against a good Pit player.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
After playing a long time alone with some european tourneyplayers... I can say this:

Marth, his counter and good attacking range can keep me on distance. Overall it's his incredible range which is a real pain.
Fox and Falco - Their neutral b can also stack your percentes... and they can combo fairy good moves. Wolf is on the other hand fairly easy if you dodge his moves
Snake - His forward A harms a lot

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The Mirror shield will take care of those blasters
Pit could take Marth on with those arrows of his, and the Mirror shield can play an offensive role here if you predict the opponent well.
For snake... avoid the explosions. Stay close to him so he cant blow you up without blowing himself up.

Though I've seen Pit have problems with 2v2 battles where he faces a Thunder-spamming Pika, because I was the one suffering from it! Distractions distractions, it lowers Pit's potential and I'm going to make sure that Pika gets what he deserves after that match i had with him.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
i think pit kinda has a dead zone. like for example, if your just out of pits smash attack range, then he has to move because ur too close for him to safely arrow you, and he cant hit u with a smash, so if u can smash him then, he would lose.

or he has to dash at u or gTfo. i noticed this mostly while playing AS pit. so i suggest while fighting put, try to get in that dead zone... its perfect for any falco fighting a pit, because the deadzone is basicly the range fo the reflector.

ike can use this dead zone as well, and just land a nice Fsmash.

other characters are going to have to rely on staying under the arrows, and doing quick attacks while trying not to get hit by pits smashes.

NekoBoy085

Smash Apprentice
Crawling doesn't work. I can still bend those arrows to cover a nice range and hit crawlers and can still do the same at longer distances while keeping the rapid fire up. Good pit's wont let you crawl past them no matter who you are.

When it comes to pit's cons it's pretty simple to me:

Pit has no kind of range with his melee attacks so anyone in their melee range with a good reach can take him out.
His up B can be gimped rather easily if you only have him to worry about. Anything that causes flinch will pluck the boy clean out of the air.
Pit has a dead zone for combat. A point where you are too close for his arrows but yet at the same time too far away for his melee.
He's very very light so you can pretty much smack the kid around.

For countering the arrows you have to think ahead of your opponent, don't step too close or you will eat a Fsmash, remain at range and more damage will come. Dodge, roll, jump and air dodge to mix up your approach. Air dodging and short hops are your best friend though but DON'T land too close or you will again eat a FSmash. If you do land too close be prepared to either dodge or perfect shield. If your character has a reflector you don't have to worry about pit staying at range for too long.

Don't get too smug of edgeguarding a good pit user as well. If he glides you have to think ahead of him once more. Plan your attacks based on the arch of his approach. Will he avoid you or will he attack you? If he is planning to attack you first you have to approach and strike faster then him. If he runs you have to predict where and follow suit. Good thing is, if you knock pit away before he lands with glide, he cannot glide again. So now all you have to worry about is the two extra jumps and Wings of Icarus. Don't forget, Pit can still use his arrows easily between jumps.

When those wings turn blue, do anything you can to knock him away one more time but it's not as dangerous. And don't kill yourself in the process. But Pit CAN still attack out of it before it runs out so you are not 100 percent safe on approaching him during the Wings of Icarus.

If he is a good Pit user then you wont have to worry about Angel Ring spam. But if he is that kind of player ((Pit Scrub)) try Di'ing away from it then either jump up over it with a Dair or Bair or just roll around it if you have the rolling range

The best characters I could recommend is Marth and MK. Marth has incredible range and power for his speed. He can really put a lot of pressure on Pit. MK is the same deal but you have to deal with less knockback and killing moves. He has more control then Pit in the air, has more jumps and is really the best character to clip those Wings of Icarus when used correctly. I cannot recommend Ike because a good pit can dance around most of his attacks easily. As Pit the only attacks that are effective against me are Utilt, Ftilt, AAA, and Bair. So I can never recommend Ike unless you are a really good Ike player.

My advice comes from both being a Pit mainer and from facing pit as characters other then my green wearing angel. I face him mostly when I am Fox but I don't have to rely on reflectors to get in close for some serious damage.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
isn't sonic a counter? you can go under his arrows easily by using his dash attacks. and his gimping abilities with his neutral B and the spring are pretty good.

NekoBoy085

Smash Apprentice
isn't sonic a counter? you can go under his arrows easily by using his dash attacks. and his gimping abilities with his neutral B and the spring are pretty good.
If you are a good sonic player then be my guest. But with sonic's short melee range, poor knock back and slow melee attacks I can't see him dominating pit. He may have that homing attack but it's still avoidable. I don't think there is an attack in Sonic's move list that could stop Pit's glide so it's less then likely you'd even see Wings of Icarus against a good pit user.

I will say that Sonic has possibly the best follow up abilities in the game when used correctly but haven't seen too many used well to be honest D:

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Pit - low priority, short range attacks, up+b is gimpable, short grab range.

Topic creator - Pick a character that suits you and figure out how to capitalize on his disadvantages with said character.

I say don't let others pick for you unless you absolutely terribly want an overwhelming advantage....which, theoretically, you won't get, assuming both players are equally skilled, non-noobs, due to the game developers' attempt to balance. (But they failed with Falcon :mad:)

VaneWalker

Smash Apprentice
I dont know if this is a viable way to test this but i got a level 9 Pit and a Level 9 Meta-Knight and put them on a 99 stock match. The results were 99 stock loss on Pit and a 85 stock loss on Meta-Knight. 99-85=14. There were no self detructs whitch means there were 14 times were Meta-Knight killed pit twice with out loosing a life.

But thats all if this test is viable.:ohwell:

soresu

Smash Rookie
That test doesn't work. Character comparisons can't be made by using computer ai, you need actual players + tournament results.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
I'd say G&W's turtle (Bair). Metagaming is PARAMOUNT in Brawl with the lack of advanced techniques. If you can read your opponent, you're ALWAYS his counter like I mentioned in another thread. Dedede is also a good counter with his awesome range like his Bair, his unexpected down-tilt and B-forward spam.

A good Marth too? Wario doesn't seem so bad either (see getyourtournament's Shuffle & Cut series of tourney vids on YouTube and the keywords are lmnz vs. Futile wario pit) . MK's air game nails you hard. DiK's Fair is a helluvan obstacle if you are unilateral in your recovery methods. Trying to out-prioritize his Fair is HELL. Also, DiK's bananas and EVERYTHING ELSE.

An Ike who can space well is hell as well. lol. MK can really take the B-UP out of you, y'knowhat'msayin'?

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
Protip: Not Snake.

The strategy against Snake is simple.

1) Stand against a wall if able.
2) Arrow spam.
3) If he gets close, forward b.
4) If he backs up, continue step 2.

No seriously. My friend did this to me online in Shadow Moses. It was hell.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
Snake isn't that easy as you think. If he dodge forwards pit you have two choices. First, you fight close with him which is a bad idea. Pits attacks are not that quick like Snakes Neutral A Combo. Secondly, you can try to attack Snake via glide or the air which is also a bad... because of Snake Dashing. The only real attack which can knockout Snake is bair as far as I've seen.

I've figured out that there's one possible and hard method to counter his Forward-A, which is the greatest pain for Pit: Timed Neutral A Attacks against his jump. It works great against Sonic, but Snake is harder to time.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
If you are a good sonic player then be my guest. But with sonic's short melee range, poor knock back and slow melee attacks I can't see him dominating pit. He may have that homing attack but it's still avoidable. I don't think there is an attack in Sonic's move list that could stop Pit's glide so it's less then likely you'd even see Wings of Icarus against a good pit user.

I will say that Sonic has possibly the best follow up abilities in the game when used correctly but haven't seen too many used well to be honest D:
Believe me, Sonic can harm Pit a lot. The fast ones are trying to roll-attack you and using after that every time the homing attack. The Spindash is stoppable with arrows, but it's hard to aim it. Best thing to use is a timed neutral A-Attack Combo when he dashes forward to you. It works like no other attack against a Sonic and the player will overthink his strategy. Sure, you can use the mirror shield, but it isn't that good because Sonic can go across the shield and attack you from behind which leads to a Combo-Attack with his Homing Move > good knockback, really.

But Sonic isn't that problem if you play some times against a really good player. The key is to use Sonics Delay after his moves to win against him.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
Just like Pit, Sonic is a nightmare to every other character. If you can play Pit well, you're just as much of a nightmare to Sonic. I think there's LAZY

Top Bottom