• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best sub-main for Samus mainers?

D4RK_HUNT3R

Smash Cadet
Well you know how playing Ness and Lucas compliment each other? What would be the best sub-main to play as to compliment Samus's playing style and vice versa?

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Well you know how playing Ness and Lucas compliment each other? What would be the best sub-main to play as to compliment Samus's playing style and vice versa?

I would think Marth, Metaknight, Diddy, or Wolf. Essentially, anyone with a good close combat game and good KO power, which is what Samus lacks. Pit could also go in if you're fond of controllable projectiles.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I main Samus/Zamus and Zelda. For some reason, I don't have problems switching between those characters.

Subach

Smash Apprentice
I find Ganondorf and DK a somewhat refreshing change of pace due to the fact that they are less about combos and edge-guarding and more about sheer, brutal strength.

Metaknight seems to use the same basic strategy Samus does, minus the projectiles, and he's just plain badass, so that's a plus.

Lucrece, Samus has a really freaking good close combat game, it's just that she doesn't KO well with out edge guarding.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Prolly someone who deals well with small, nimble, melee oriented characters. A space animal or Lucas/Ness are good bets, IMO.

Samus has a really freaking good close combat game
Really? I always seemed to get ***** up close. :confused: She seems more like she keeps her opponent at bay, fighting from mid to long range. Then again, she's a versatile character, so it may just be different playstyles.

Sorry for going off-topic there... >_>

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
I made a comeback in a rather small tourney by switching to ZSS mid-match against a TL. There's a sizeable penalty in terms of time lost by switching like that (I gave up a chance to edgeguard), but if you want to use Samus as your main as a competitive player the option to switch to ZSS seems to be quite valuable, should you be comfortable with her. Depending on the exact rules of the tourney you could also keep the opponent from being able to counter you before the match even starts - should you use PSS in the first match and not announce a change after hearing the stage, they may guess incorrectly that you're not switching.

ZSS dashes quite a bit faster than PSS, can successfully chase people quite a bit higher than PSS, and can KO with a decent-length disjointed hitbox. They do seem to play sufficiently differently to be useful against different characters for counterpicks and the like, and although it's too early to say with complete confidence neither character looks like they'll end up as a low-tier - both will (hopefully?) be viable choices at most levels of play.

Warriors

Smash Journeyman
if you main samus, you should try to main
zero suit samus or lucario
their styles are similar

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
I made a comeback in a rather small tourney by switching to ZSS mid-match against a TL. There's a sizeable penalty in terms of time lost by switching like that (I gave up a chance to edgeguard), but if you want to use Samus as your main as a competitive player the option to switch to ZSS seems to be quite valuable, should you be comfortable with her. Depending on the exact rules of the tourney you could also keep the opponent from being able to counter you before the match even starts - should you use PSS in the first match and not announce a change after hearing the stage, they may guess incorrectly that you're not switching.

ZSS dashes quite a bit faster than PSS, can successfully chase people quite a bit higher than PSS, and can KO with a decent-length disjointed hitbox. They do seem to play sufficiently differently to be useful against different characters for counterpicks and the like, and although it's too early to say with complete confidence neither character looks like they'll end up as a low-tier - both will (hopefully?) be viable choices at most levels of play.

QFE.
I main Samus, sub-main is Zamus.

navillus

Smash Apprentice
if you main samus, you should try to main
zero suit samus or lucario
their styles are similar
I agree. I'm best with Zamus and lucario. I picked lucario up right when the game started and was pretty decent. His tournament reliability is yet to be seen but Zamus is a fair choice.

Jing)

Smash Apprentice
Actually, toon link is my best alt, although im better with him then samus, and in fact I basically use him and samus evenly.. I spam the hell out of zair so i short hop quite well, and toon link short hops like 5 times per 10 sec after approach... also he has good projectiles, and amaaaaziinnng arials, similar to samus..

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Samus already ***** d3. That fat penguin isn't touching us when we have zair. In addition to Samus, I also use Sheik, whose ridiculously fast falling speed combined with her lightness makes her a near opposite to Samus while retaining the same style of combat. They're both very sexy as well.

Samus- Heavy, slow, second slowest faller in the game
Sheik- Light, fast, fast falling speed

They both have: Tether recovery+B-up, lagless aerials (Sheik: except dair, and a bit of lag on uair), weak chargable projectiles, useless B-downs :)

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
In melee, almost all good samus mains somehow gravitated towards using Ganon as a secondary.

In Brawl, all those samus mains seemed to gravitate towards using ROB. I can't explain why, but that's just what I've been hearing.

That said, DDD ***** the **** out of Samus, there is no question.

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
^i wanna say its because most samus players are used to being defensive, and vulnerable from above attacks.

w/ ganon you had to be aggressive but he was slower, and it was **** near impossible to get the drop on him from above. so maybe that sense of security carries over into rob?

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
^i wanna say its because most samus players are used to being defensive, and vulnerable from above attacks.

w/ ganon you had to be aggressive but he was slower, and it was **** near impossible to get the drop on him from above. so maybe that sense of security carries over into rob?
Hmm possibly. All I know is I'm liking ROB a lot more than Brawl Samus. It's not because I think she's bad, but because she isn't even Samus to me anymore. I might as well use a brand new character.

Pi

Smash Hero
If you wanna get better at using Samus, then you gotta use Samus. But if you're not having fun then you're doing it wrong, so try out new characters with an open mind.

Hylian made a thread on how Unique Samus is, so there aren't any characters like her and I don't think there are any who are opposite her either. You might try someone with a charge up that can be held, though. Like lucario. Or maybe someone with multiple projectiles, like link or toon link or ROB.

kongfucius

Smash Cadet
If it helps at all, I main Snake as well as Samus. There's not much reason except that they both seem to fit my fighting style...maybe because of the projectiles and my fondness of laying traps. But I can't see much similarities between the two. I find that if you main someone other than samus, make sure that character's style is drastically different to mix up your opponent. Almost like counter-picking.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
QFE.
I main Samus, sub-main is Zamus.
This is because Samus and Zero Suit Samus are polar opposites. Samus' speed is fine, but Zero Suit Samus' speed is excellent. Samus' defense is good, but Zero Suit Samus' defense is poor. Samus is excellent to use from a distance, whereas Zero Suit Samus is perfect in close-combat.

As for me, I have other characters I prefer to play as. This is my line-up:

• Samus
  • Fox
  • Pit
  • Lucas
  • Donkey Kong

I prefer Fox in this regard, since close-combat is his forté. Of course, Donkey Kong does grant me a lot of points.

acojan

Smash Apprentice
I want to learn samus cuz she looks like a lot of fun !
<kicks diddy kong in the *** and out of my character list>

projectiles are luv....
i originally wanted to learn samus just for a counterpick for my mario,yoshi,zelda/sheik line-up but she is lookin like a lot of fun ....

the only problem is i do not think i can get used to her and my main .... she moves so different compared to mario and especially yoshi ... i guess i will just have to get used to her !

i am going to do my best ^_^

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I main Samus/Zamus. Why? because it's great strategy-switching in the middle of a match! Since tourneys banned items, smash balls are gone, so I'm pulling for mid-match transformations and strategy changes to mess up my opponent's game.... And so far, it hasn't failed me yet!

My secondary is Kirby... HEY! Kirby was my SSB fave, Samus was my SSBM fave... And now Zamus IS my SSBB fave. 'Nuff said.

Tetsuro

Smash Cadet
I main Samus and Fox and that seems to work quite well. I find that Fox is an excellent counter pick to my Samus since he performs well in matchups where Samus struggles. He also does very well against the most commonly used characters like MK and Snake.

King Kuma

Smash Apprentice
ZSS doh!

:p

I sub-mained with Snake. No reason. Just a previous Samus player who carried over from Melee and fell in love with Snake.

:chuckle:

Grunge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-wiggity
3DS FC
2938-8119-7719
hmm
i say anything
I alt Shiek and bowser cause theyre delicious

Top Bottom