• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best teammate for Yoshi?

Jiggy

Smash Apprentice
Hey all,

I just recently attended a tournament ("This Game Sucks") with a friend as a team ("Chocolate Rain") and we did ok. I'm pretty sure we would have done better if I used someone who can do good with Yoshi.

My friend is a great Yoshi player, considered maybe the best in Wisconsin since he was owning a bunch of people there as Yoshi. I use Olimar and Falco.

Our strategy when I'm Falco is to just go balls to the wall and be independent of each other and try to take on the other team one on one, until one opposing team member is left then I shoot Falco's lasers and he lobs eggs over me (IF the other person tries camping. We camp campers :p). As Olimar, there really is no strategy involved at all. I just do my best, and he does his best.

I'm willing to play as any other character to benefit our team, since my friend is an awesome Yoshi. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
Right now I'm immediately willing to guess that any character with a strong recovery would be a good partner for Yoshi. If you think Yoshi's gonna get edgeguarded (which is unlikely now what with Egg throw being buffed quite nicely, but still possible) then you're going to need to use someone like Metaknight who can harass the opponent that's trying to edgeguard and still make it back safely. Dedede, Kirby and Pit would also be effective for this.

On the other hand, you're going to want someone with high priority, that preferably isn't light- because 2 vs. 2 is more like a FFA, if you accidentally nail your partner with a ground pound or something, it wouldn't be very fun. I would say Metaknight would be the exception to the light rule, because you can use him to build up damage, and then KO with one of his KO moves or just switch opponents and have Yoshi go for the kill. Characters with strong priority would be Wolf/Marth/Zelda, in my opinion.

Finally, projectiles play an important role. While they're not as important as in 1 vs. 1, having a handy projectile user can make all the difference when going in for a kill, since they can effectively harrass while you're planning out a kill move.

To be honest I'm not sure who would make a good team partner for Yoshi. Olimar probably wouldn't, due to edgehogging issues, but Yoshi's such a unique character that it's not as simple as pairing up, say, Fox and Marth. You'll have to find which character is most synergistic with your playstyles on your own, since right now there are way too many variables to concretely decide who is a good partner and who isn't.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Pikachu. Mr. Game and Watch. Marth.

Those are the ones that come to mind the fastest.

Jiggy

Smash Apprentice
:yoshi: Pikachu. Mr. Game and Watch. Marth.

Those are the ones that come to mind the fastest.

Yeah, I was thinking Pikachu, also. Yoshi's super armor on the second jump gives thunder a bit more liberal use.

(I don't like to play Marth)

Mr. Game and Watch would be fun. I'll have to try him out with my friend, also.

Thanks, and also to you Yoshi King. I agree, it's gonna be interesting to try to find a good partner for Yoshi for me and my friend.

EDIT: What about a duel Yoshi team? I tried him out last night, and I like the way he plays (I play Olimar, another floaty). Also been reading these boards, which just show how much more badass he is. He's like the Mewtwo of Brawl, in a way. Underrated and all. (Excluding ganondorf)

Gindler

Smash Champion
If you're going for an annoyance factor 2 yoshi's would pwn that department. Hearing those rubbery sounds he makes all throughout the match is annoying enough to an opponent but when there's two it'd be extremely annoying.

I think G&W is a good teammate for yoshi (anyone can use G&W pretty much so he's real easy to pick up and play with) and if yoshi is getting edgeguarded G&W can jump out there and help yoshi out with his trampoline. and G&W Bair is just as if not more annoying than yoshi's so that'd be good for the team as well, G&W also has alot of easy low% kill moves (Fsmash, Dsmash, Usmash) so yoshi could rack up that damage which he is really good at and your G&W could go in for the finishing move.

Nocher

Smash Rookie
What about a duel Yoshi team? I tried him out last night, and I like the way he plays (I play Olimar, another floaty). Also been reading these boards, which just show how much more badass he is. He's like the Mewtwo of Brawl, in a way. Underrated and all. (Excluding ganondorf)
i think yoshi would work well because yoshi has much strength in having the opponents not know his attacks. and with two styles of playing yoshi at once, he would keep his advantageous combos by not allowing the opponents to get used to a certain strategy.

Top Bottom