• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best video game

wing zrow

Smash Lord
I'm going with tetris. Can't make it better, stands the test of time, easy to get into, hard to master. Tetris has it all.

OmegaWeapon

Smash Apprentice
My opinion of the best game would have to be any DDR title, mainly because i've lost 20 lbs from it. Simple concept, easy to learn, really freakin hard to master. I guess thats why i like it so much. Final Fantasy 7 is also great.

beckhamisaqueer

Smash Cadet
I'd have to go with Perfect Dark or Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. I have never actually played a few of the classics, such as Super Metroid and LoZOoT, which is part of the reason I am looking at Revolution... when it comes out.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
I'd have to go with SSBM (I know, I know,) Pikmin 2, LoZ:Alttp, Or Super Metroid.

Honourable mentions: OoT, WW, Metroid Prime, SM64, Kirby: CC, and Kirby:SS.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Well, let's split this into categories:

RPG
-Chrono Trigger

I like the fact that this game has an Armageddeon- type monster instead of some human or black magician that wants power. Anyway this game has great graphics, an interesting magic system, cool characters (made by Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragon Ball Z), great music, and many endings. Plus, it was interesting traveling through time. Only down is that it was kind of easy. I do like the sidequests in this game; it made them game more playable.

Shooter
-Perfect Dark

I would say Counter-Strike but I only played for a few minutes. Perfect Dark has lots of cool weapons and they all got secondary function (like a pistol whip or an autogun function). Loved how detailed and cool the levels were. This along with with its graphics were to close to those shown in Time Splitters. Who could forget the multiplayer? It has many modes of play and even has AI bots that can be customized in any way you want. You can make them idiotic or even nightmarish.You can them use specific items and behave differently. No other console shooter has this and it makes Perfect Dark unique. If you like Goldeneye 007, you must get this game.

Action
-Devil May Cry 3

Sure there are people who would pick God of War or Ninja Gaiden in this category but they have their tastes. I like this game because, it has some of the best cutscenes out there, cool characters, great boss fights, vicious enemies, tough difficulty, cool weapons, and you have wide variety of ways to kill an enemy; there are an endless number of comboes thanks to the weapon switch.

Side-scroller/Classic
-Super Mario Bros 3

This is my favorite game of all time. I loved the nostalgic music, the excellent level design, cool enemies, and the many powerups you'll find. As an added bonus, there's a hidden Mario Bros game that you can play. I suggest you all get the Advance version you get added levels via E-cards, and a much better Mario Bros game included.

Fighting
-Super Smash Bros Melee

Well this should've been expected. I don't think I need to explain.

I would like to give some credit to Marvel vs. Capcom 2. It so many characters to choose and all the moves are easy to execute and are nice eyecandy.

Best Overall
-Super Mario Bros 3

NukeA6

Smash Master
Oh, I forgot to put my favorite Adventure game. It's Zelda Ocarina of Time. I loved the big environments it has with so many hidden grottos and glitches. Plus, it had so many cool monsters and a memorable fight against the final boss. The music in this game is legendary. Excellent game play and there are many weapons you can use. There is a reason why this is #2 in IGN's top 100 games of all time.

Mario27

Smash Lord
I love any game of DDR. My favorites are Ultramix 2 and the Extreme arcade version.

NukeA6

Smash Master
HoChiMinhTrail said:
Secret of Mana for SNES was a greatZ gAme, my fav --;
You should be mad that Secret of Mana 2 never came in the U.S. That game is a must-have!

ZeroX131

Smash Rookie
NukeA6 said:
You should be mad that Secret of Mana 2 never came in the U.S. That game is a must-have!
Yeah, it was better than Secret of Mana, in my opinion.

And as for best game, it's probably OoT. My favorite, however, may very well be the Oracle games.

MegaMatt

Smash Apprentice
So many great games, it's hard to pick...
I have you break them into categories...
Zelda - Ocarina of Time, unless Twilight Princess proves otherwise...
Metroid - Super Metroid - loved the music, loved the story, challenge was great.
FPS - GoldenEye - Revolutionized and rejuvenated the FPS (IMO). It was the go to game back then like SSBM is now for my friends and I.
RPG – This one is very tough. Final Fantasy 7 was awesome, but I really enjoyed 6 (or 3 in the US) because I absolutely loved the story, music, mechanics, and characters, and had one of the best villains ever, Kefka.
RTS – Warcraft 2. It was just so much fun!
Mega Man – Mega Man X, with MM2 a close second.
Fighter – Street Fighter Alpha 3, MvC2, and SSBM. Each one is so different, I can’t pick just one. (p.s. I love you Cammy!!)
Other – Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, Legend of Mana, Pikmin 2, Shaq-Fu & Resident Evil 4

I'm sure I'm leaving out some other great games...And yes, SHAQ-FU IS A JOKE!!!

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

The Big Rigs Rhapsody
Written by: LionHeart11

Is this the winner life-
Did I just win again?-
Are there no losers-
This makes me so really happy-
Start up your rig
Look right to your right and see-
Hes just a trucker, making some money-
Because hes just a guy, maybe a gal,
in his truck, haulin loads,
As soon as I, hit the road, all I really saw was his rig,
staying still...

OMG am I so 1337?,
Pushed the pedal now Im gone,
Speeding through textured land..,
OMG, Im going so fast,
But now I've gone too far, and reached the sea of grey-
Dangit, OMG
Where the hell am I?...-
If I cant make it back to land tomorrow-
I will lose, I will lose, as if I hadnt even started-

Whats this, Im back again,
Haulin loads to the finish line-
CB Talkin' all the time,
Goodbye to the other guy, Ive go to go-
Gotta leave you in the dust and stay ahead-
ahead..of what?- (that dam police roadblock)
I wont ever get caught,
I sometimes wish it had never existed at all-
I see a little silhouetto of a man,
OMG, OMG could it be a police man?-
Roadblocks are frightening- very very
frightening me-
You are Winner, You are Loser,
You are Winner, You are Loser,
You're Winner-No your not-
He's just a police man doing his loser job,
Im just a trucker haulin loads, talkin-
Run the guy over, continue on the race-
Dont hurt me, dont hurt me-,
Will you spare my life?-
I-will-not! no- we will run you over-let me go-
I-will-not! we will run you over-let me go-
I-will-not! we will run you over-let me go-
we will run you over-let me go-
we will run you over-let me go-
Yes!, no!, Yes!, NO, YES, NO!!, YES!!! -
Oh here we go, we go, we go, we ran him over-
What..is wrong? We drove right through him,
through him, through him!!!!!
So you thin the police is going to stop my race-
So you think I will become a loser this time,-
Oh dammit- sad-ly you are mistaken-
The finish line is here, just got to cross it here-

Youuuu, youuu, yoou, you're winner, you're
winner
Nothing really matters,
Now that I am winner
Nothing really matters-,
Except that I am winner, I are....

*very quiet at end*
Now I am a true winner....

Exovel

Smash Ace
Here Goes...

Okay... in no particular order.... You'll notice that I'm more of a Sega Genesis and N64 kinda guy

1) LoZ: Ocarina of Time
2) Super Mario 64
3) Mario Party 3
4) James Bond: Goldeneye
5) Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3
6) TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist
7) LoZ: Link's Awakening
8) Pokemon Blue and Red
9) SSBM
10) Halo

Chris II

Smash Journeyman
ZeroX131 said:
Yeah, it was better than Secret of Mana, in my opinion.

And as for best game, it's probably OoT. My favorite, however, may very well be the Oracle games.
Secret of Mana is Seiken Densetsu 2. You guys need to work on your math.

THERE IS NO SECRET OF MANA 2.

Chris II

Smash Journeyman
Oh, if the RPG section is filled with any of the following:
-A NES game
-A SNES game
-A GB/GBC/GBA game that isn't pokemon
-The words "Final Fantasy"
-Xenogears
-Suikoden 2

...I will cry at the ignorance of people.

My justification for them:
a)Old games have bad(outdated, I mean) game mechanics. Bad game mechanics=not as good as newer games. Also, crappy plots for most of them.
b)FF games are never really all that groundbreaking in terms of RPGs. They're above average, I'd say. FFT would come close had the terrible translation not ruined it.
c)Xenogears: Plot is pretentious and alienating, Disc 2 got buttraped. Gear survival dungeons piss me off.
d)Suikoden 2 had REALLY REALLY bland gameplay. Sure, Luca Blight is cool, but that doesn't make the gameplay any better, now does it?

Zuli

Smash Rookie
I'ma break mine down into category, and give some reasons for why I chose what. Ready? GO!

Action/Adventure:
Super Mario Bros 3 (Cause it was the first game I beat!)

Puzzle:
Tetris Attack (Cause if yoshi shuffling blocks isn't sexy, what IS?)

Sports:
Super Mario Kart (The SNES version, cause it's the only one that I can whup anyone in.)

RPG:
Illusion of Gaia (They bribed me with the free T-Shirt that came with the game!)

Fighting:
SSBM (Look at me! I'm a suck up!)

Shooter:
Jet Force Gemini (I would always be the little flying guy, floyd, and whenever his lights flashed pink, I'd play Dark Side of the Moon.)

Overall:
Harvest Moon (Not any one in particular, the entire series. I love them all! I mean... COWS! You can raise COWS! Is that not AWESOME!?)

NeoSheik21

Smash Cadet
RPG: Final Fantasy 9
FPS: Halo 2
Fighting: SSBM
Racing: Gran Turismo 4
Puzzle: Tetris
Sports: Mario Tennis, maybe?
Adventure: Ocarina of Time

NukeA6

Smash Master
Chris II said:
Oh, if the RPG section is filled with any of the following:
-A NES game
-A SNES game
-A GB/GBC/GBA game that isn't pokemon
-The words "Final Fantasy"
-Xenogears
-Suikoden 2

...I will cry at the ignorance of people.
Well if they're no good to you, how about you tell us what the good RPGs are. Show me better reasons cuz your justifications prove nothing.

hero_oftime333

Smash Cadet
OoT and of course.

TETRIS!!!!!!!! that is the ultimate brain sucker. it just smushes ur brain into a mush. it is the most addictive game I ever played except for some starcraft UMS stuff.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Racing: Burnout 3 Takedown
First Person Shooter: Halo 2
Action/Adventure: The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
RPG: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Fighting: Super Smash Bros. Melee
Puzzle: Tetris Attack
Sports: Mario Golf Toadstool Tour

Overall Favorite Game: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Chris II

Smash Journeyman
NukeA6 said:
Well if they're no good to you, how about you tell us what the good RPGs are.
Valkyrie Profile
Vagrant Story
Saga Frontier 2
Pokemon
Fire Emblem 5

...just a few examples.

Show me better reasons cuz your justifications prove nothing.
Of course they prove something. They prove that I dislike games with bland gameplay.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Chris II said:
Valkyrie Profile
Vagrant Story
Saga Frontier 2
Pokemon
Fire Emblem 5

...just a few examples.
Good enough except Pokemon. Well that's just my opinion.

Chris II said:
Of course they prove something. They prove that I dislike games with bland gameplay.
Bland gameplay? Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4-6, and SM 2 & 3 make Pokemon look like Superman 64.

You might as well show me what is so bland about the great RPGs you keep putting downs on. I'll be waiting.

Chris II

Smash Journeyman
NukeA6 said:
Good enough except Pokemon. Well that's just my opinion.
Gameplay is pretty subjective, actually. Why is pokemon bad? It's a good strategic multiplayer RPG. Sure, the plot/characters/certain designs blow, but the gameplay mechanics are quite good.

Bland gameplay? Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4-6, and SM 2 & 3 make Pokemon look like Superman 64.

You might as well show me what is so bland about the great RPGs you keep putting downs on. I'll be waiting.
Small note: There are no RPGs for the SNES with the initials SM2 & 3. Only SMT for Shin Megami Tensei and SD for Seiken Densetsu.

Bland gameplay:
Chrono Trigger and FF4, there's very little character customization past "should I give the power tab to Robo or Crono" in CT, and ZERO character customization in FF4 besides changing your equips(which is still nothing, because it's always "should I use the good armor or not use the good armor, making the point moot). It's funny, because FF4 seems almost regressive in this aspect, seeing as FF2 and FF3 were both games where you could customize characters. Late game is hilarious in FF4, because it's actually more useful to kill off Rydia than to let her gain exp. Tee hee. Chrono Trigger's gameplay was limited because of a few things. The characters really only had two types of setups late game(defensive setup with prism equips or offensive setup with haste helm). The area attacks that don't hit the entire screen are quite limited because you can't move your hero. The double techs system wasn't exactly new or innovative. That being said, I liked Chrono Trigger when I played it because I liked the plot.

FF5 wasn't bad. Good improvement on FF3's class system. The gameplay does not, by the way, make pokemon look like superman 64. In pokemon, you could actually counter things using different teams. Here, it's just "Use chemist to mix something to make you invincible, Doublecast Meteor/Holy/Flare, use X-attack with two swords. Laugh." Any other team is less useful by contrast.

FF6 would've been good if it weren't for one massive problem. The gaping hole where the bug testers should be. That game has more bugs than a cheap motel. Also: No reason to use anything in that game but Ultima and Cure3 and Genjiglove/Offering with Locke and Setzer. Again: Pokemon's teams don't have that type of monotony.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Chris II said:
Gameplay is pretty subjective, actually. Why is pokemon bad? It's a good strategic multiplayer RPG. Sure, the plot/characters/certain designs blow, but the gameplay mechanics are quite good.
Forgive me for the Pokemon rant, I was just in one my bad moods. I do think Pokemon is overrated though.

Chris II said:
Small note: There are no RPGs for the SNES with the initials SM2 & 3. Only SMT for Shin Megami Tensei and SD for Seiken Densetsu.
I meant SD, my fault.

Chris II said:
Bland gameplay:
Chrono Trigger and FF4, there's very little character customization past "should I give the power tab to Robo or Crono" in CT, and ZERO character customization in FF4 besides changing your equips(which is still nothing, because it's always "should I use the good armor or not use the good armor, making the point moot). It's funny, because FF4 seems almost regressive in this aspect, seeing as FF2 and FF3 were both games where you could customize characters. Late game is hilarious in FF4, because it's actually more useful to kill off Rydia than to let her gain exp.
You expect complete character customization. Sure whatever you say. Rydia isn't that useless. She does have Leviathan and Bahamutt which do major damage.

Chris II said:
Chrono Trigger's gameplay was limited because of a few things. The characters really only had two types of setups late game(defensive setup with prism equips or offensive setup with haste helm). The area attacks that don't hit the entire screen are quite limited because you can't move your hero. The double techs system wasn't exactly new or innovative. That being said, I liked Chrono Trigger when I played it because I liked the plot.
Doesn't prove why say it's bland.

Chris II said:
FF5 wasn't bad. Good improvement on FF3's class system. The gameplay does not, by the way, make pokemon look like superman 64. In pokemon, you could actually counter things using different teams. Here, it's just "Use chemist to mix something to make you invincible, Doublecast Meteor/Holy/Flare, use X-attack with two swords. Laugh." Any other team is less useful by contrast.
Unfortunately in Pokemon, you gotta do alot of work and use lots of time to get the right teams and attacks. If the FF5 classes are too cheap for you, use fair ones.

Chris II said:
FF6 would've been good if it weren't for one massive problem. The gaping hole where the bug testers should be. That game has more bugs than a cheap motel. Also: No reason to use anything in that game but Ultima and Cure3 and Genjiglove/Offering with Locke and Setzer. Again: Pokemon's teams don't have that type of monotony.
There are bugs but not that much, just don't use Relm's Sketch so much. If Ultima bothers you, don't use it.

Well I'll leave alone now. You did show decent RPGs though, so I'll just leave the justifications as your opinion. And forget what I said about Pokemon. I'm impressed how defended the game and even showed some points.

This now ends my ranting of your posts.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Cashed said:
Action/Adventure: The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
RPG: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Overall Favorite Game: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
This is pretty much my post, down to the punctuation.

Except that I wouldn't have bothered seperating them into seperate "genres."

You know what genre those two games are? It's called "The Best." Both of these have SOMETHING that most other games can't even compare to, and I don't even know what it is. But whatever it is, these two games have it, while most others don't.

Other games who have this magical quality that makes them awesome include the following:

Sonic 2
Yoshi's Island
Super Metroid
Sonic 3
Super Mario 64
Pokemon Red & Blue (the originals)
Devil May Cry 3

Other games are good, but most don't compare to the above list (and others that I've forgotten from this list).

Chris II

Smash Journeyman
NukeA6 said:
Forgive me for the Pokemon rant, I was just in one my bad moods. I do think Pokemon is overrated though.
Really? I think it's underrated due to the extreme number of whiny teens who try to seem deep by saying LEWLS ITS TOO CUTESY IT SUXXORS I LOVE XENOGEARS.

I meant SD, my fault.
Well, I never listed SD on my list of "games that aren't that great."

You expect complete character customization. Sure whatever you say. Rydia isn't that useless. She does have Leviathan and Bahamutt which do major damage.
I expect more character customization than just "use the crystal armor or the diamond armor."

Rydia is pretty terrible, actually. Big Bang should kill her, and if it doesn't, you've powerleveled way too much.

Doesn't prove why say it's bland.
It's trying to present something that isn't really there. It gives you like 30 minutes at the beginning of the game to make use of cyclone and slash, and then for the rest of the game, changes the gameplay into the gameplay of FF games. None of the enemies move anymore and you just resort to spamming screen spells.

Unfortunately in Pokemon, you gotta do alot of work and use lots of time to get the right teams and attacks. If the FF5 classes are too cheap for you, use fair ones.
If it's there for me to use, I think I should use it. That doesn't exactly seem like a reasonable justification. After all, if you hate a game's music, you could always turn it off.

There are bugs but not that much, just don't use Relm's Sketch so much. If Ultima bothers you, don't use it.
Oh, the ending of that game was a massive plot hole, which ruined the entire experience for me. I think the problem with that game is that at a certain point, 10 of the 13 abilities that you get are completely useless, and Umaro's massive club does less damage than a little paintbrush. This is the second time that a berzerker has sucked in Final Fantasy, and they're not going to fix this until FFX-2.

falcoX

Smash Champion
The Hall of Eternia, Exactly 10 miles west of the
McFox said:
You know what genre those two games are? It's called "The Best." Both of these have SOMETHING that most other games can't even compare to, and I don't even know what it is. But whatever it is, these two games have it, while most others don't.

Other games who have this magical quality that makes them awesome include the following:

Sonic 2
Yoshi's Island
Super Metroid
Sonic 3
Super Mario 64
Pokemon Red & Blue (the originals)
Devil May Cry 3

Other games are good, but most don't compare to the above list (and others that I've forgotten from this list).
U nailed this one on the head. Some games just have a magical feel about them that makes u remember y u play video games in the first place. I totally agree with yur list of "the best games" (except for dmc3 cause i never played it)

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
Into categories, I guess it would go:

FPS: Perfect Dark; if this game had only come out at a later time with online play and improved framerate, it'd have been almost perfect...oh yeah, that's right, it's coming for Xbox 360 w/ Live play :D.

Platformer: Donkey Kong Country 2 [2D], Space Station Silicon Valley [3D]; while the former may've more or less taken old platformer elements [Mario], it improved upon them greatly. SSSV...just play it, it's one of the most innovative games I've ever played.

RPG: Chrono Trigger; I need not explain.

Fighter: Virtua Fighter 4 (3D), Capcom vs. SNK 2 [2D]: VF4, lush, great gameplay, and excellent personality. CVS2: combines the greatness of 2D fighting from both Capcom and SNK's best fighting games in one great package.

Puzzle: Chu Chu Rocket: SO much fun with mice and kitties ^^.

Out of any of those though, Donkey Kong Country 2 is my overall favorite game. Not just because it had the critically acclaimed side-scrolling platformer action of the original, but it improved upon it in so many ways. The gameplay, what with the piggybacking, team abilities, and one-person accesible areas. Difficulty also kept it challenging yet refreshing. Visuals were excellent pseudo-3D graphics, very clean too. Music by Dave Wise is just phenomonal, in my opinion, some of the best SNES music of the age. Very great game, recommended to anyone vaguely interested in 2D platformers.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Chris II...dude, these are just people's personal opinions...you don't need to argue with them about it...

I think my favourite game atm would have to be a toss-up between Fable and OoT...although I think I've played OoT a few too many times, I'm losing interest...

Chris II

Smash Journeyman
Fierce Deity Vegeta said:
Chris II...dude, these are just people's personal opinions...you don't need to argue with them about it...

I think my favourite game atm would have to be a toss-up between Fable and OoT...although I think I've played OoT a few too many times, I'm losing interest...
Opinions are ignorant. A guy could say "my uncle is the nicest guy in the world" and he'd be wrong, because that's Bill Gates for giving millions of dollars to charity. I'm arguing because many opinions are formed ignorantly with limited basis. Most people just play 3-4 games before deciding that one of them is TEH BEST GAEM EVAR.

Top Bottom