• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to counter shield-grabbing

soccermanrob

Smash Rookie
i have tried a couple things, but what is the best way to counter someone using excessive shield grabbing, besides running up and grabbing them to start with

Rukazor

Smash Ace
If you are playing a faster character (fox, c.falcon) you can usually land in front of a person after doing an L-Cancel'ed aerial and just dodge. Works all the time.

Other than that, just grab them or land slightly behind them after doing an aerial.

Powda193

Smash Journeyman
if u cant get that grab in on them first... i normally result to stalling or poking at them.

many dtilts are good at poking people or any projectile or just watch their shield go down and wait for them to drop it and capitalize on the lag.

however, if ur already in the air... landing behind them is definitely the best idea. trying to dodge when u land can get u grabbed while ur still in the air... so i normally air dodge through the grab which puts me right on the ground to attack them

i love shield-grabbing... so i know how to beat it too B )

dan smith

Smash Champion
If you like to DA, stop.

Space your aerials, if the length of the move is long enough you don't have to get right up in your opponents face to hit them with it.

^^^Dodge and grab back as mentioned before. They might dodge your grab and turn it into a dodge war. (dodge wars look so gay)

L-Cancel some quick hits, I.E. upon landing immediately throw out some very quick attacks. (usually just hit A a few times)

If it really bothers you...you should start SGing all the time too. Fight fire with fire.

soccermanrob

Smash Rookie
thanks for you input, i'll give all those ideas a try, it really pisses my friends off when i start to shield grab a lot so i might do that one just for fun

meepxzero

Smash Master
Two ways you can counter it if your in the air.... One is to cross them up and then l-cancel into a throw or just do a short aerial and l-cancel quickly into a throw. The second method works if you do the aerial low enuff but if you dont they can throw u first b4 u can pull out ur own throw.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Bowser is the ultimate shield grab killer!! :D :D Grab THEM from the air :) I think sometimes it's nice to pull off another jump right before you land. Sometimes, if they are excessive sheild grabbers, and you don't abuse this technique, they'll try to shield grab, you're in the air, you can pull off a wide variety of aerials. Usually they won't fall for it, but people have already mentioned the more useful techniques, trying to add every idea possible.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
How about not setting yourself up to get shieldgrabbed in the first place? Do not spam dashattacks without good reason (they're in the air or something), space aerials, land behind them, l-cancel into jab (most these things people have mentioned already).

Just space better ^_^.

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
Well, shoot. I was just going to say that. But sometimes it’s unavoidable. If you use a laggy move and they shield it, you know.

Mario's Cape

Smash Apprentice
Shield grabbing is best only counter if you the player or oppenent in this case outsmarts the player. There is many ways to do that. One example is to force your oppenent into the shield and then wd into a grab.

Zato-1

Smash Cadet
Hey FallenAngel, you said not to spam dash attacks. What do you enter with if not a dash attack(Besides dash canceling [which seems to me to be only semi-useful] or provoking them)?

I get sheild grabbed all the time, because I dash in a lot.

(I use Sheik btw)

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
I always dodge and then grab, is a nice way to show'em how I hate grabbing in that way.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dodging into a grab can sometimes be painful. Any dodge against my Peach when I'm not doing an attack (including airdodges) WILL result in a painful dsmash.

As for what to do instead of dashattacking. Don't ask me. I play Peach. I floatcancel and then throw in turnips and then run after and dashgrab (jumpcancelled, of course).

Sheik has the option to fair them and then space it so that she can move back so far they can't shieldgrab her afterwards. You can also run up to them and bair them and then move back. Needling, her dashgrab is quite long.

You can also crouchcancel dashes into dsmashes. Sheik's dsmash is equally as fast as Peach's, has more reach (at least initially since Peach's dsmash gets MORE reach after some spins. Still dunno if it outreaches Sheik's) and it has so much knockback when shielded t hat it's virtually impossible to shieldgrab her with any character unless you lightshielded and let go of the shield fast enough to actually, I dunno, dashattack.

meepxzero

Smash Master
if you dash attack a lot dash dance a little and if u see the shield go up then go around and throw them. If not then go for the dash attack. Mix it up and play mindgames to your advantage.

Big Burn

Smash Lord
i know its a character specific way to deal with shield grabbers but if u are mario or doc u can always just cape them around. once u do this they look like big fools, its quite hilarious.....

jacob91

Smash Cadet
Weellll...
With Marth, Wavegrab Them , He likely Has better range

Or use Marths Tipper To hit them un-shield shifted

For other Characters,go to

WWW.gamefaqs.com And look At The Specific Character Guides

marth/roy

Smash Apprentice
I think this works to counter sheild grabbing,- fast falling and L-canceling, then doing whatever will get you out of the situation

AWrulez

Smash Journeyman
Let's summarize this unnecessarily large topic into an organized and easy-to-read post.

TO COUNTER SHIELD-GRABBING!!!

You can...
- Run up and grab them yourself! (works best if you have a nice grab range) Know the range of your character's grab, of course.
- Land behind them!
- Land, and then dodge, or just plain dodge, and then grab, jab, punish... (of course, this is punishable)
- L-cancel into jabs (Fox and Falco's shines, or down+B, Ganondorf's neutral A, etc.)
- Grab them FROM THE AIR with Bowser...
- SPACE. SPACING. Utilize the range of your aerial so that you're too far away to grab when you land. This is probably the most important thing to learn.
- Stop using dash attacks without a good reason, when there's a risk. However, sometimes you can dash attack PAST a shield (works with Fox and Falco) if you perform it correctly, but that's besides the point.
- Dash-dance, and perform other mindgames. This is pretty obvious, but whatever.
- Cape with Mario and Doc. (also risky)

And most of the guides on GameFAQs aren't good, jacob. The good guides are:
me frog/Decadent One's Bowser FAQ
XiF's Dr. Mario FAQ
XiF/ssbmon's Falco FAQ
CunningKitsune's Fox FAQ
Magus17/Windu's Luigi FAQ
Crater12's Marth FAQ
Pictish Freak/The Amazing One's Pikachu FAQ
XiF/MookieRah's Roy FAQ
me frog/XiF's Sheik FAQ
disturbedpersonguy's Young Link FAQ

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
I think the best way to not get shieldgrabbed is to keep in mind that its a constant possibility. Hence, be careful with your aerials, and try to control them such that you wont get consistently shieldgrabbed. Vary the timing if your aerials, as well as the direction you are DIing when you make contact (if you have a character with such a luxury). If you can maintain constant variation, your opponent will learn that Shieldgrabbing so much is unprofitable, especially if you can begin punishing them for mistaken shieldgrabs. Regarding dash attacks, try to use them as somethign other than initiators, as thats just become too predictable, or else, as mentioneed by someone else earlier, while the opponent is in the air. If you're playing someone like D. Mario, you can cape them such that they arent facing you, then initiate a dash attack/aerial attack before they can turn around, and hence be safe from shieldgrabbing.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
the best way to avoid it is to l cancel.... god i was a noob
Or you can try not to bump 2 year old topics. Look at the last poster: vidjogamer's post date/time: 03-21-2005, 06:41 PM

And you just bumped it Today, 12:38 AM.

>.>

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
As long as you space all of your aerials in a decent manner you should be fine. Marth is an excellent example because of the spacing he gets when he uses his fair/nair.

MooseMan

Smash Rookie
I find that its easiest, with Falco anyway, to jump just before u hit the ground near them. They grab for you, miss, and u get a free shine on them when you land. Works everytime. You might want to mix it up a bit though or else they catch on.

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
What hate people doing when I shield grab ( and I do it a LOT) is basically stalling and hitting my shield, watching it go down. Then if I bring it down, theres a lot of lag to be attacked in. And if you wait for too long, your shield might break or be so weak that you wont be able to use it for a while, which is a real disadvantage if they go crazy attacking.

Metrofan

Smash Cadet
Well in my opinion if you always keep a distance while you're trying to land some hits, and only get close when you're going to grab or pull off a combo is a nice way to prevent it. This is easy when you know how and when to side step and/or Ground Dodge.

Smash Master
Either use projectiles or when you are in the air and they put up their shield, do a double jump and aerial behid them at their shield. They can't grab you when you are behind them. Well, actually Marth can, but only if you are really close.

Artistry

Smash Apprentice
Either use projectiles or when you are in the air and they put up their shield, do a double jump and aerial behid them at their shield. They can't grab you when you are behind them. Well, actually Marth can, but only if you are really close.
Link can too.

I would say the best way to avoid getting shield grabbed is being Fox/Falco and shine as soon as you land. For this to work you have to be able to shffl really well.

You could also try spot dodging after you land.

Top Bottom